Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power Supply upgrade advice....

ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
Heya all!  Need some advice on an upgrade replacement for my power supply.  I've been getting some full resets on my computer, most likely due to insufficient power.  (This is the opinion of the most savvy tech I know).   

I am running on a pretty maxxed out Dell XPS8700.  It has 32G of ram, an i7 4790 processor, three harddrives (2 SSD, one platter), dvd writer, and a Nvidia 1070ti card.  A couple of the more intensively graphic games crash the computer.  Checked the current power supply, and it's a Seasonic 460 watt version.    Started looking for an upgrade to put into the machine, but have run across some claims that the 3.3 and 5 volt power lines need to be fairly beefy.   Had a possible replacement inhouse, but it wasn't modular and the cpu power out on it was a straight 8 pin connector, not the 4pin that the motherboard wants.

I'm looking to get a reasonably priced (ie under $100) power supply upgrade, but am a little leery of the technical specs needed.  I want to ride this computer for awhile before considering a full replacement.

Opinions, advice, and direction gratefully accepted!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Get another seasonic - 600-650W
    [Deleted User]
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Can't go wrong with Seasonic. Any other psu you need to research who made it even if they are in the same brand name.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Thanks for the advice!  Got another Seasonic on the way....
    [Deleted User]

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    First the M12II 620 Bronze $65 at Newegg. It's also highly rated. The biggest drawback to the M12II PSUs is their old tech and don't support modern boards and features.

....what boards and features?
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Looked around at the various Seasonics available, but decided to go with your suggestion of a m12II 620.  Since this is not a totally modern computer set up being fixed, the older design's lack of modern bells and whistles didn't bother me much.  Liked that it was modular.  Was relatively price sensitive too, as the next couple of months will be belt tighteners.

In a year or so, I will probably build a new computer;  my prior ones go into audio production mode.   This one will do that job pretty well for awhile.
    [Deleted User]

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    “Bells and Whistles” on a PSU amount to just varied types of available connectors for the most part anyway.
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217
    Arglebargle said:
    Heya all!  Need some advice on an upgrade replacement for my power supply.  I've been getting some full resets on my computer, most likely due to insufficient power.  (This is the opinion of the most savvy tech I know).   

I am running on a pretty maxxed out Dell XPS8700.  It has 32G of ram, an i7 4790 processor, three harddrives (2 SSD, one platter), dvd writer, and a Nvidia 1070ti card.  A couple of the more intensively graphic games crash the computer.  Checked the current power supply, and it's a Seasonic 460 watt version.    Started looking for an upgrade to put into the machine, but have run across some claims that the 3.3 and 5 volt power lines need to be fairly beefy.   Had a possible replacement inhouse, but it wasn't modular and the cpu power out on it was a straight 8 pin connector, not the 4pin that the motherboard wants.

I'm looking to get a reasonably priced (ie under $100) power supply upgrade, but am a little leery of the technical specs needed.  I want to ride this computer for awhile before considering a full replacement.

Opinions, advice, and direction gratefully accepted!
    For power supplies, name brand matters. Something else you should seriously consider is the 80+ certification. You typically want something that's certified at least 80+ Bronze. Some good brands include seasonic, corsair RM series, EVGA G series, Thermaltake.

Additionally, this isn't required but I've personally found this extremely useful, modular power supplies (i.e. power supplies where the cables are not permanently affixed to the power supply) simply provide better quality of life because you don't have to deal with cables you don't need to use. Only plug in the cables you need. Hope this helps.
    Ozmodan
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    I just replaced a Corsair HX850 PSU after 10 years of operation with a Corsair RM850x white PSU.

[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    It has to do with certain newer low power states. 
    Yeah, that whooping 3W saving in idle...valid warning.

Besides, the EVO line(doubt you can find non-EVO units at stores) should be 'Haswell ready':
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66140
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98

CORSAIR - CX Series Modular CX750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze this for 90 dollars is a decent PSU if you have a local best buy they should have some on hand