Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle Deadly Vampires & Stop a Terrible Ritual In ESO Update - MMORPG.com

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:
    Never seen someone in combat say with an Ar15 assult rifle, then switch over to a dagger run in for the kill, unless  your Rambo lol
    Probably because you've never been in combat. No military uses AR15s (or 10s) because the selector switch only offers two functions, Safe and Semi-Auto. Whereas the modern M16 platforms offer three functions, Safe, Semi-Auto, and Burst (fire 3 rounds per trigger pull).

Also, AR stands for Armalite Rifle (Armalite is a firearm manufacturer), not "assault rifle".

We don't use "daggers" either.

But, I get your point.

*hides*
    [Deleted User]bcbully
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Stick to the Thread topic please.
    NorseGod
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

DMKano said:

Deyirn said:

I'm long done with this game, I was hyped, spent over 800 hours on it, but now I can't stand it anymore. The combat is still trash and aside from the story (which I've already experienced) I see no reason to play this game anymore. Even new chapters and expansions don't excite me anymore. I see absolutely no replay value in this game whatsoever.

After 800 hours - it's pretty normal to be completely done with a game.

I am not sure where this idea in people's heads came up where MMOs somehow need to provide endless entertainment that never gets old.

If you get 100 hours out of any game - that's exceeding expectations IMO

This is DMKano's endorsement of the new MMO, where you are in an out and on to the next game, hopping around like a kid with ADHD. This is DMKano's idea of an MMO, not the world's. In his arrogance he sometimes forgets that.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited July 2019

Iselin said:

Viper482 said:

At least they are finally trying something different. It feels like ESO content thus far is all the same, just reskinned. They come out with a ton of stuff, but it all just feels like the same thing in a different setting. Really need some different mechanics to mix it up.

What different thing are you referring to? The year-long theme that ties the 2019 DLC together?

That seems like a pretty minor difference to me. Different in a significant way to me would be something like spellcrafting or zone wide group events.

"Year of the Dragon" is definitely different marketing but it's the same old 1 major + 3 minor DLC in a year they have been doing since they dropped the sub.

Read the article? Puzzle mechanics. It's the only thing different. It's not like I am calling it some kind of revolution in MMO gaming or anything. ESO content is typically copy/paste crap with new look.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • UnbinoUnbino Member UncommonPosts: 34
    -Normal people: 800 hours is more than enought for s game.
    -MMO players: 800 hours? Amateurs...
    Scot
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Vampires? Really? What year do they think this is exactly?
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Vampires? Really? What year do they think this is exactly?
    Somewhere around the sixth century of the second era.
    bcbully
  • DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Loved this game for a long time but burnt out these days, but glad to see the regular content drops happen. My guild still love it and look forward to every DLC and chapter I do also think a lot of MMOs can learn from the content drops and that you can continue to add to a game without inreasing lvl cap and making all your previous work worthless with gear etc.

Looking forward to seeing what the chapter next year is in the hope it spurs the souls to resub.
    bcbully
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited July 2019
    imagehttps://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56655
    These armors and weapons looks cool on paper, but always turn out ugly in game.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300

Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

I'm long done with this game, I was hyped, spent over 800 hours on it, but now I can't stand it anymore. The combat is still trash and aside from the story (which I've already experienced) I see no reason to play this game anymore. Even new chapters and expansions don't excite me anymore. I see absolutely no replay value in this game whatsoever.

The combat drives me crazy in ESO. It just isn’t enjoyable at all. Everything else is so good but the combat is why I play the game off and on.

I've been seeing this comment for years about ESO but it never comes with any examples of what people saying this consider enjoyable MMORPG combat.

Care to name a couple?

Guild Wars 2. The combat is silky smooth.
    Octagon7711gunklackerOzmodanbcbully
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

The combat drives me crazy in ESO. It just isn’t enjoyable at all. Everything else is so good but the combat is why I play the game off and on.

I've been seeing this comment for years about ESO but it never comes with any examples of what people saying this consider enjoyable MMORPG combat.

Care to name a couple?

Love the combat in GW2 also.  ESO has become my main MMO because of the tons of content alone.  Been playing since launch had to stop for a year or two until they got their act together and have enjoyed the game since then.   GW2 starting to require to much work for too little gains, imo.  TD2 still getting their act together but basically addictive gameplay.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

Care to name a couple?

It's been a while since I played GW2. As a matter of fact I went right from GW2 to ESO as my main MMO and I don't remember ever thinking that I had just gone to a worse system when I made the switch.

I do remember thinking at the time that combat was similar... /shrug.
    Ozmodan
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    I feel like you're mincing words. In this context gimmicks are synonymous with puzzle mechanics. In any MMO with dungeons and raids the tricks and hoops the player is supposed to jump through to make the fight easier or possible, are called the puzzle mechanics. At least I've always heard them referred to like that.

There is a raid boss in Rift that has "Simon Says" puzzle mechanics. You have to jump, or turn around, or do some other thing when he executes one of his tricks. If you don't, then your character dies. It's a total gimmick, but also a key puzzle mechanic for that raid. They can be both in my opinion.
    Simply cannot say I share such an experience with any game. If it is a set mechanic to deal with a boss, it's not a "puzzle". They again are also generally telegraphed in what it is you're supposed to do, so there simply is no "puzzle" to be solving. To call that a puzzle is a misnomer.

From my experience, you're talking about boss/raid mechanics. Even in the case of Rift, it seems boss mechanics is used regarding such things in the public sphere, and I cannot readily find reference to puzzles outside the zone puzzles.

Calling it a gimmick is just to the point of its complexity and scale, or more notably it's lack of such.
    Post edited by Limnic on
    Ozmodan
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

strykr619 said:

Deyirn said:

I wonder who paid you to post this because the Lore alone is worth playing.

Honestly, it's not. It's fairly generic fantasy lore. If you played EQ, WoW, or DAoC and payed attention to the lore, then it's basically the same flavor.

It's 2019. For some of the younger players, this may be eMAZING… but I'm immune to being grabbed by these generic fantasy stories, these days. It's about the other players, and the content.

The content does seem incredibly derivative, at this point, and the combat was always a really poor knock off of GW2's stuff. If it felt like GW2's gameplay (on top of better PvE content and an actual Trinity System - which ESO does have), I'd probably have stuck with it regardless of the shitty story - which I'd just skip through, anyways.

But the gameplay just doesn't feel good.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Viper482 said:

At least they are finally trying something different. It feels like ESO content thus far is all the same, just reskinned. They come out with a ton of stuff, but it all just feels like the same thing in a different setting. Really need some different mechanics to mix it up.

What different thing are you referring to? The year-long theme that ties the 2019 DLC together?

That seems like a pretty minor difference to me. Different in a significant way to me would be something like spellcrafting or zone wide group events.

"Year of the Dragon" is definitely different marketing but it's the same old 1 major + 3 minor DLC in a year they have been doing since they dropped the sub.

Think they meant more the introduction of interactive puzzle mechanics to the dungeon experience, and how those puzzle mechanics extends into even the boss battles.

I'll have to wait and see how they implement that in the 2 new dungeons but puzzle-like mechanics in all of their DLC dungeons as well as most of the II versions of all the original vanilla dungeons, have always been a thing.

It just takes a run or two to figure out the specific trick for each one of them. And then it becomes a source of frustration in 4 man groups when someone new to the dungeon who doesn't know the choreography is in your group. It separates the player base into the "knows" and "knows not" :)

Can't say I remember puzzles in most of those. Simple mechanics to work around, sure. Actually trying to solve something, or having it affect the rest of the dungeon or boss battles, not so much.

Boss battles on every single "2" vanilla dungeon have them as well as every one of the DLC dungeons. They range from simple ones in FG2 where a boss battle will last 5 times longer if you kill the adds (shepherd boss) to more complex ones like the 2nd to last boss in Falkreath or the final boss in Bloodroot where you have environmental items that need to be activated at the right moment.

There are many that have floor plates that have to be activated simultaneously by two or more players to open passages, things that need to be carried from one spot to another to stop a boss from being invulnerable (Mazatlun and others) etc.

I've done all of these dungeons tens of times and it's actually rare in ESO to have one without some sort of required environmental interaction during key boss fights.

Like I said, I'll have to see for myself what they have done with the 2 new dungeons in this DLC before I'm convinced it really is something new and not just a different mechanic trick like they all have.

They have gimmicks, but again I don't really think most of those qualify as puzzles. Not on a personal level at least. They are often too blunt in what they are, and telegraph exactly what you're supposed to do.

Might just chalk that up to opinion, as I really just don't think of the things you just mentioned as puzzles.

And you have played the new ones to know that they aren't just more of the same?

I read the article and blog post, where if you did you would be able to note they are talking about how the new puzzle mechanics, while being used at a basic level to open doors, are also allowing for more emergent elements because they are also implementing these objects into the game with weight and collision models.

Yes I read it too, as I have read promos for new dungeon DLC many times before and they always emphasize the new things each have, and they all have had some new thing that hasn't been done in previous ones.

But you dismissively call the previous ones "gimmicks" and have some faith apparently, sight unseen, that this time the new things don't deserve to be called "gimmicks."

I'm not following your logic nor share your faith.

He said they have gimmicks. He didn't call them gimmicks.

Intellectual Dishonesty on display. Way to blatantly twist his words, and lie, just to fanboy over a video game.
    Iselingunklacker
    Darksworm said:

strykr619 said:

Deyirn said:

I wonder who paid you to post this because the Lore alone is worth playing.

Honestly, it's not. It's fairly generic fantasy lore. If you played EQ, WoW, or DAoC and payed attention to the lore, then it's basically the same flavor.

It's 2019. For some of the younger players, this may be eMAZING… but I'm immune to being grabbed by these generic fantasy stories, these days. It's about the other players, and the content.

The content does seem incredibly derivative, at this point, and the combat was always a really poor knock off of GW2's stuff. If it felt like GW2's gameplay (on top of better PvE content and an actual Trinity System - which ESO does have), I'd probably have stuck with it regardless of the shitty story - which I'd just skip through, anyways.

But the gameplay just doesn't feel good.
    The lore is pretty unique.

You have a ancient evil stealing the souls of mortals to power his inva-ok that's not even original within the Elder Scrolls timeline.

I dont think the lore is terrible, and in many cases I can at least find a character I enjoy. Doesn't have to be something new and unique to be serviceable and entertaining. 

We would have a rather short list of stories in the world otherwise.
    edited July 2019
    Darksworm said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Limnic said:

Iselin said:

Viper482 said:

Think they meant more the introduction of interactive puzzle mechanics to the dungeon experience, and how those puzzle mechanics extends into even the boss battles.

I'll have to wait and see how they implement that in the 2 new dungeons but puzzle-like mechanics in all of their DLC dungeons as well as most of the II versions of all the original vanilla dungeons, have always been a thing.

It just takes a run or two to figure out the specific trick for each one of them. And then it becomes a source of frustration in 4 man groups when someone new to the dungeon who doesn't know the choreography is in your group. It separates the player base into the "knows" and "knows not" :)

Can't say I remember puzzles in most of those. Simple mechanics to work around, sure. Actually trying to solve something, or having it affect the rest of the dungeon or boss battles, not so much.

Boss battles on every single "2" vanilla dungeon have them as well as every one of the DLC dungeons. They range from simple ones in FG2 where a boss battle will last 5 times longer if you kill the adds (shepherd boss) to more complex ones like the 2nd to last boss in Falkreath or the final boss in Bloodroot where you have environmental items that need to be activated at the right moment.

There are many that have floor plates that have to be activated simultaneously by two or more players to open passages, things that need to be carried from one spot to another to stop a boss from being invulnerable (Mazatlun and others) etc.

I've done all of these dungeons tens of times and it's actually rare in ESO to have one without some sort of required environmental interaction during key boss fights.

Like I said, I'll have to see for myself what they have done with the 2 new dungeons in this DLC before I'm convinced it really is something new and not just a different mechanic trick like they all have.

They have gimmicks, but again I don't really think most of those qualify as puzzles. Not on a personal level at least. They are often too blunt in what they are, and telegraph exactly what you're supposed to do.

Might just chalk that up to opinion, as I really just don't think of the things you just mentioned as puzzles.

And you have played the new ones to know that they aren't just more of the same?

I read the article and blog post, where if you did you would be able to note they are talking about how the new puzzle mechanics, while being used at a basic level to open doors, are also allowing for more emergent elements because they are also implementing these objects into the game with weight and collision models.

Yes I read it too, as I have read promos for new dungeon DLC many times before and they always emphasize the new things each have, and they all have had some new thing that hasn't been done in previous ones.

But you dismissively call the previous ones "gimmicks" and have some faith apparently, sight unseen, that this time the new things don't deserve to be called "gimmicks."

I'm not following your logic nor share your faith.

He said they have gimmicks. He didn't call them gimmicks.

Intellectual Dishonesty on display. Way to blatantly twist his words, and lie, just to fanboy over a video game.
    What a dumb thing to post. Par for the course for you.

The point is that you either call them all gimmicks, which I'm perfectly fine with, or you don't. If anyone were being a fanboi - and I don't think either one of us were -  it would be whoever is buying into the hype that these next two dungeons have something too good to be called gimmicks.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2019
    That rather depends, calling something that's not a puzzle, a puzzle, is already confusing.

A mechanic where you are actually solving something is a puzzle, which does not preclude it from being a gimmick, but does make it different from mechanics that just have you reacting to something.

And similarly, something can both be new and still a gimmick. Feels more like you're overplaying what it is you're arguing against.
    Limnic said:
    That rather depends, calling something that's not a puzzle, a puzzle, is already confusing.

A mechanic where you are actually solving something is a puzzle, which does not preclude it from being a gimmick, but does make it different from mechanics that just have you reacting to something.

And similarly, something can both be new and still a gimmick. Feels more like you're overplaying what it is you're arguing against.
    I stopped responding to you for a reason: because it's a silly semantics argument for a pair of dungeons that have not yet released. What part of we'll see how different these are or not when we play them are you having trouble with?

You enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing - I don't.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:

I stopped responding to you for a reason: because it's a silly semantics argument for a pair of dungeons that have not yet released. What part of we'll see how different these are or not when we play them are you having trouble with?

You enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing - I don't.
    You wouldn't be so apt to argue an opinion that is, well, oppositional and repeat it to other users if such were the case.

And you would be better to actually say something before asking "what part of". You did not argue an impartial stance, and you did not say we will see without following it with an statement that concludes an opinion, running right against the idea of waiting to understand its luve implementation. You stated your belief that two things were the same. And you claimed you could not follow the logic, so it was clarified for you.

We can click back to page one any time and see the contradiction of your arguments. 

It's an indefensible position, which is disappointing to see Torval would agree with such a remark out of pointless spite.

Do not be so dishonest. Dont sit there arguing nonsense then trying to childishly pull some bull like that when you get upset.
    Post edited by Limnic on
    Iselinbcbully
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

Care to name a couple?
    Something that doesn't require animation cancelling lame broken mechanics to reach even 50% of potential DPS for one thing.
    gunklacker
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited July 2019
    Im trying to think of an RPG that actually has good combat outside of ARPG or turn-based mechanics, and having a hard time thinking of any. My favorite RPGs seem to all have terrible combat: Fallout, SW:ToR, EQ, WoW, Witcher, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc. Borderlands is ok I guess, but I consider that more of a shooter like DOOM. Maybe Shadows of Mordor? Is that an RPG? Anyway, RPGs are pretty notorious for bad combat imo, not that that is a good excuse not to try for it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Palebane said:
    Im trying to think of an RPG that actually has good combat outside of ARPG or turn-based mechanics, and having a hard time thinking of any. My favorite RPGs seem to all have terrible combat: Fallout, SW:ToR, EQ, WoW, Witcher, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc. Borderlands is ok I guess, but I consider that more of a shooter like DOOM. Maybe Shadows of Mordor? Is that an RPG? Anyway, RPGs are pretty notorious for bad combat imo, not that that is a good excuse not to try for it.
    I would say Kingdoms of Amalur. Its way too easy and its simple to overlevel, its combat is pretty good though. And The Dark Souls series combat is pretty solid too.

And I don’t really agree with Mass Effect to be honest, at least not with ME2.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Iselin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited July 2019
    Limnic said:
    Torval said:
    I feel like you're mincing words. In this context gimmicks are synonymous with puzzle mechanics. In any MMO with dungeons and raids the tricks and hoops the player is supposed to jump through to make the fight easier or possible, are called the puzzle mechanics. At least I've always heard them referred to like that.

There is a raid boss in Rift that has "Simon Says" puzzle mechanics. You have to jump, or turn around, or do some other thing when he executes one of his tricks. If you don't, then your character dies. It's a total gimmick, but also a key puzzle mechanic for that raid. They can be both in my opinion.
    Simply cannot say I share such an experience with any game. If it is a set mechanic to deal with a boss, it's not a "puzzle". They again are also generally telegraphed in what it is you're supposed to do, so there simply is no "puzzle" to be solving. To call that a puzzle is a misnomer.

From my experience, you're talking about boss/raid mechanics. Even in the case of Rift, it seems boss mechanics is used regarding such things in the public sphere, and I cannot readily find reference to puzzles outside the zone puzzles.

Calling it a gimmick is just to the point of its complexity and scale, or more notably it's lack of such.
    Give it up, it is an obvious PUZZLE!  The only indefensible position is yours.
    lahnmir said:
    Palebane said:
    I would say Kingdoms of Amalur. Its way too easy and its simple to overlevel, its combat is pretty good though. And The Dark Souls series combat is pretty solid too.

And I don’t really agree with Mass Effect to be honest, at least not with ME2.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I still play that enough that it's always one of my Steam installed games. I wish other games had chakrams as mage weapons... they're the best thing ever for spell slingers.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED