Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Every Game Because It's New

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
Do you think we as gamers have become pie charts in boardroom presentations?

My response to the question is that I believe studios know that we will literally buy anything in any condition, quality, or price model. With that data, they know exactly what they need (or don't need, aka "MVP") to turn a profit.

IMO, studios will never attempt to innovate, produce quality, or be reasonable with pricing models, if we keep rewarding them with our money without reservation.

We are predictable data now, not gamers.

We hold the power though. We could force change since the studios won't do it, by showing some will, restraint, and a little self-respect.

I know the odds are against us to bring this change. We have influencers/shills making money on Youtube and Twitch. Their followers are just that, followers, and will buy anything that the "cool guy streamer/content creator" tells them to. If we are only as strong as our weakest link, the "followers" are the weakest link.
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
[Deleted User]ReticulatarojoArcueidRich84sunandshadowScotAlBQuirkyHashbrickalkarionlogJeffSpicoli

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I would think that a lot of game studios probably disagree with that as a lot of them have probably failed. The quality of games upon launch has changed but that is probably because the cost of them has gone up exponentially and you can no longer pay people 1-2 years of work and launch a polished game, now you probably need 2-3 years of work and then bills have to paid, etc. 

I think the landscape has changed. EA for me is a way that game companies try to balance the outlandish cost of games by starting to get revenue at 67% completion instead of 100% of completion. It is probably an evolutionary pressure that has occurred on gaming companies that a lot of them have to do it to survive with a few exceptions (Blizzard). 
    NorseGod
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I would think that a lot of game studios probably disagree with that as a lot of them have probably failed. The quality of games upon launch has changed but that is probably because the cost of them has gone up exponentially and you can no longer pay people 1-2 years of work and launch a polished game, now you probably need 2-3 years of work and then bills have to paid, etc. 

I think the landscape has changed. EA for me is a way that game companies try to balance the outlandish cost of games by starting to get revenue at 67% completion instead of 100% of completion. It is probably an evolutionary pressure that has occurred on gaming companies that a lot of them have to do it to survive with a few exceptions (Blizzard). 
    Ok, I can get behind you on this, but you need to define "failed". By who's standards or definition, ours or theirs? Both have completely different views on "failed".

Generally speaking, we equate popularity or population into the question of success or failure. They equate breaking even or making a profit.

Guess who's opinion matters most? Judging by the relentless flood of the same crap in a different wrapper, I'm going to say, the studios' definition.
    AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Companies are risk adverse. Modern games with top tier aesthetics are costly to make. These two elements assure that only games they feel are virtually certain to have mass appeal are going to be made.by the largest of producers.

If you want something other than that, small independent developers are your best bet. Lower costs on their end along with a lower need and expectation of profit allow them to embrace risk much more readily, giving them a far greater range of creativity.
    NorseGodKyleran[Deleted User]
    Companies are risk adverse. Modern games with top tier aesthetics are costly to make. These two elements assure that only games they feel are virtually certain to have mass appeal are going to be made.by the largest of producers.

If you want something other than that, small independent developers are your best bet. Lower costs on their end along with a lower need and expectation of profit allow them to embrace risk much more readily, giving them a far greater range of creativity.
    I agree, but my argument is that it doesn't have to be this way, if we pulled together. We gamers all want the same thing.

If studios data shows that it's easier to "play it safe", then we can make it unsafe. And we do that by not rewarding them with money just because they released a re-skinned turd.

We totally have the power to control the direction and practices of the genera. Yeah, there is an endless ocean of dumbasses that will still buy anything. But, losing 10-20% or more on your P&L statement is a huge deal to these studios.
    RueTheWhirlKyleran
    By the way, even though I agree with those who replied already, I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer to the question. I just wanted to provoke thought.
  • RueTheWhirlRueTheWhirl Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I've already been practicing this for some time now. Last MMORPG I actually purchased was 4 years ago. All those f2p, p2w mmo's have been paged over by me. I can't say the same for myself when it comes to psn deals. But, hey. Good post.
  • ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    It has become all about the initial cash grab business model. Companies got lazy and scammy, releasing endless unfinished and broken games. Players became desperate bunny hopping from shitty game to shitty game on Steam in a barren field of mmos with no immersion or meaningful content. Devs keep dangling that shiny carrot in front of their faces leading into the next big thing - cash  grab.

Stop falling for it and starve the beast.

NorseGod

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I rarely buy anything these days.
    I have only so much time to go around, and already a huge collection of games to go through... so... they'll be sorely disappointed with this gamer ;D
    KyleranAlBQuirkyIselin

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019
    I only consider worth buying new fully developed good single player games.

The nature of live service games makes them lose value really fast because not only there's not enough content for full price, all content is lost if servers die. Those factors alone are enough reason to wait for massive discounts on online games.

EDIT: at least mmorpgs offer a lot of content for your investment, unlike the other live services.
    NorseGodAlBQuirky

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    When something becomes popular, the dynamics always change.  Companies can just look at charts because human behavior once past a certain threshold of population becomes incredibly predictable, and subject to influence.

So the answer is yes, once games become mainstream culture, it's not a matter of getting them to buy, it's a matter getting them to buy yours and not the other guys.  You can shovel shit and still make it.  
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    NorseGod said:
    Do you think we as gamers have become pie charts in boardroom presentations?

My response to the question is that I believe studios know that we will literally buy anything in any condition, quality, or price model. With that data, they know exactly what they need (or don't need, aka "MVP") to turn a profit.

IMO, studios will never attempt to innovate, produce quality, or be reasonable with pricing models, if we keep rewarding them with our money without reservation.

We are predictable data now, not gamers.

We hold the power though. We could force change since the studios won't do it, by showing some will, restraint, and a little self-respect.

I know the odds are against us to bring this change. We have influencers/shills making money on Youtube and Twitch. Their followers are just that, followers, and will buy anything that the "cool guy streamer/content creator" tells them to. If we are only as strong as our weakest link, the "followers" are the weakest link.
    We are consumers we hold no power. If we did there would be a Faction based sandbox mmos. More levelless MMO theme park Sandbox hybrid by now. 
    Reticulata

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    This post is unnecessary. Video games are entertainment platforms that drive profits. The developers that make them, do not make them for this reason. The companies that pay for, however, do. Games studios continue to innovate every year.
    NorseGod said:

We are consumers we hold no power. If we did there would be a Faction based sandbox mmos. More levelless MMO theme park Sandbox hybrid by now. 
    Stop giving them money until they comply or go out of business giving a new studio a chance. Profit margins are very small, so we don't need 100% participation. Because lets face it, kiddies are going to kiddie.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    NorseGod said:

I agree, but my argument is that it doesn't have to be this way, if we pulled together. We gamers all want the same thing.

If studios data shows that it's easier to "play it safe", then we can make it unsafe. And we do that by not rewarding them with money just because they released a re-skinned turd.

We totally have the power to control the direction and practices of the genera. Yeah, there is an endless ocean of dumbasses that will still buy anything. But, losing 10-20% or more on your P&L statement is a huge deal to these studios.
    If what used to be seen as a safe source of revenue was to become uncertain it will not compel companies to invest in projects even more uncertain in their view. Instead the larger companies that make games will simply be divested by the even larger companies that own them, with those assets then devoted to more certain revenue sources. The only thing left remaining would be the smaller studios that already function with things as they are now.

Such a tactic is doomed to failure, assuming enough players could be convinced to act in concert long enough for their efforts to have any impact at all, which is highly unlikely.

Gamers don't have the power you believe.

They are not skilled workers difficult to replace collectively fighting for the livelihood, which gives unions their strength. They are not a downtrodden people fighting for personal rights under an oppressive regime, that will weather any storm for freedom.

They are a collection of hobbyists that will drop the "cause" as soon as the next game released that draws their interest comes along. The stakes are not personal or high enough for any such effort to be resolute enough to produce lasting change.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    NorseGod said:

We gamers all want the same thing.

What, wut?  Where did you get this information from? Is there some sort of poll which I missed as I don't recall voting.

Developers have no idea what gamers want, but they do know what gamers purchase.

Makes sense they would continue to keep making games similar to what has succeeded previously,  what other hard data do they have?

Which is why it's a fallacy to think if you and 20% of other gamers all stop buying it will result in devs creating a game you guys will all like.

Gamers by and large stopped buying and paying for AAA MMORPGs and quite predictably, such games have largely stopped being made while everyone and their brother falls over themselves to make BRs.

Azaron_Nightblade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    NorseGod said:

We gamers all want the same thing.

What, wut?  Where did you get this information from? Is there some sort of poll which I missed as I don't recall voting.

Developers have no idea what gamers want, but they do know what gamers purchase.

Makes sense they would continue to keep making games similar to what has succeeded previously,  what other hard data do they have?

Which is why it's a fallacy to think if you and 20% of other gamers all stop buying it will result in devs creating a game you guys will all like.

Gamers by and large stopped buying and paying for AAA MMORPGs and quite predictably, such games have largely stopped being made while everyone and their brother falls over themselves to make BRs.

I think when I wrote that, I was thinking about innovation, quality, and a reasonable pricing model.

BRs are for those console mouth-breathers. Who cares what they want, they were never invited in the first place.

With that being said...

[Deleted User]ScotAzaron_Nightblade
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    NorseGod said:

hmmm do you buy every game?

If you don't then might there also be other people who don't buy every game once it comes out?

Also, who is to say that those people who are buying these games AREN'T enjoying them?

This goes back to what I always say on this subject "we are not a club." I don't want to be part of a gamer union or band together because of game injustice because quite frankly, from where I sit, it's silly.

If I listened to every person who got up on a pedestal to tell my why I shouldn't buy x, y and z I'd never buy anything.

There are so many games that I did buy and did enjoy that other players thought less of and I'm glad I did.

My guess is that people will buy games they enjoy, and will eventually get tired of throwing their money way because they didn't do enough research.

Still, I have to say sometimes you just have to experience a game for yourself. I didn't buy Darkest Dungeon because of what others said and then eventually did and loved it. I did buy Bloodstained, Ritual from the night and learned that it's a good game that's just not my taste. Don't regret it and I learned something about myself. I think people should find their own way in these things.
    NorseGod[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think this concept applies to any business that sells a product. Only niche companies can design a product with 100% passion/purpose and still survive. These are usually extremely exclusive and expensive like hypercar manufacturers, high end fashion, bleeding edge restaurants.
    Sovrath
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I buy lots of games, at least 2 to 3 a month. Why? Because there is so much good stuff out there it is unbelievable. The MMORPG landscape might be a bit barren, the rest of the gaming world isn’t. Gaming is in a very good place right now, you can even skip all EA titles if you want and there is still more then enough to last you a lifetime. 

I buy games because I like them, I don’t think there is anybody out there that does it for another reason. Are they all amazing? Nope but a lot are. Not every movie/play/concert I attend is amazing, that doesn’t mean I stop going. Not every meal in a restaurant is amazing, that doesn’t mean I stop going. Not every country I visit is amazing, that doesn’t mean I stop travelling. You get the idea.

There are more good games out there then I can ever play, I can’t believe some are starved for one, perhaps standards are unrealistic or, with an exception or two, you actually don’t like games to begin with, or not anymore.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    When younger i bought a lot of games,didn't know one way or another if i was paying for fair value or not.
    Now i buy only what i am looking for,i have specific types of game designs i look for and that is it.

The hobby of gaming has run very dry,the only innovation are really bad,cheap games,including the likes of the Clash of type games,the simple loot shooters and the real simple cheap games like the Team Tactics,Dota chess crap.

Most of these games would cost the developers very little to make,very little time investment,very little effort.Oh but they are all mostly f2p,yep for a reason,nobody with half a brain would pay for them.

I already have a game/s to play in ever genre i want to play,so now only games that can surpass what i already have will make the cut.I am not buying into LESSER products or half assed mmorpg's that do basically the same thing as games i already have,nope i want better.

To me gaming is like your used car,would you trade it in for a lesser car or an identical car of exact same value only you have to spend more money to make the trade?No you would stick with what you got,unless you just like throwing money around.What the market looks like to me is like real life,people get paid and immediately run out and buy some lotto tickets,a case of beer,head off to Wallmart for no reason than to simply find something to spend money on.Used to be a heavy dose of people get paid....let's go over the boarder to spend loads of money.A new cell phone just came out,i must buy it,the trends happen over and over everyday,people are addicted to spending money foolishly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2019
    Sovrath said:
    NorseGod said:

If I listened to every person who got up on a pedestal to tell my why I shouldn't buy x, y and z I'd never buy anything.

Huh.  I just realized in 2019 I've actually purchased zero games to date.

Last game I did buy was FO76 at launch  last year. (We all make an occasional mistake)

So clearly I'm not contributing much to "the problem." (Unlike "some" people, ahem)

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    NorseGod said:

Last game I did buy was FO76 at launch  last year.

So clearly I'm not contributing much to "the problem." (Unlike "some" people, ahem)

;)

Its ok I have bought enough games for the both of us. 30 at least and 90% of them will be put on a backlog
    Ah ha. Hey Norse, I think I've identified a clear source of "the problem". It's all Atrerius's fault.

;)
    NorseGod[Deleted User]

Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    NorseGod said:

Last game I did buy was FO76 at launch  last year.

;)

Its ok I have bought enough games for the both of us. 30 at least and 90% of them will be put on a backlog
    Ah ha. Hey Norse, I think I've identified a clear source of "the problem". It's all Atrerius's fault.

;)

[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I don't buy every game because it is new. I do however buy games to support the genre I enjoy so that more games in that genre are made. I feel that by buying them I'm giving developers the incentive to produce the type of games I enjoy playing. I only do this in the genres that are not that popular like turn based games, JRPGs brought to PC or games that are subscription MMOs where possible, think latter might be an extinct category.
    Kyleran

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2019
    I am very choosy about what I buy, recently made a couple of mistakes because I factored in Steam reviews and overall review positive too much. So I will now just play down Steam as a guide for certain genres and pull back to Metacritic and what gamers I know say.

I wish other gamers would look carefully before they jump in, but with there always being new teens coming into gaming every year not sure that will ever happen.
    NorseGod[Deleted User]