Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle Deadly Vampires & Stop a Terrible Ritual In ESO Update - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageBattle Deadly Vampires & Stop a Terrible Ritual In ESO Update - MMORPG.com

Zenimax Online Studios announced upcoming content to Elder Scrolls Online in a blog post Friday as part of its ongoing Season of the Dragon in the imminent Scalebreaker DLC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    At least they are finally trying something different. It feels like ESO content thus far is all the same, just reskinned. They come out with a ton of stuff, but it all just feels like the same thing in a different setting. Really need some different mechanics to mix it up.
    [Deleted User]FacelessSavior
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Deyirn said:

I'm long done with this game, I was hyped, spent over 800 hours on it, but now I can't stand it anymore. The combat is still trash and aside from the story (which I've already experienced) I see no reason to play this game anymore. Even new chapters and expansions don't excite me anymore. I see absolutely no replay value in this game whatsoever.

I wonder who paid you to post this because the Lore alone is worth playing.
    NephethAlomarAshikuroretiredmjGrendizer73BalticthunderFacelessSaviorbcbullyAgent_JosephMagplar
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300

Deyirn said:

I'm long done with this game, I was hyped, spent over 800 hours on it, but now I can't stand it anymore. The combat is still trash and aside from the story (which I've already experienced) I see no reason to play this game anymore. Even new chapters and expansions don't excite me anymore. I see absolutely no replay value in this game whatsoever.

The combat drives me crazy in ESO. It just isn’t enjoyable at all. Everything else is so good but the combat is why I play the game off and on.

bartoni33AsmodeuXretiredmjkenguru23Agent_JosephRadooReaperman69
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sounds good, I remember becoming a vampire it was a good quest and interesting powers. But as soon as I did my first raid I dropped it, got my fur singed. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    DMKano said:
    Deyirn said:

After 800 hours - it's pretty normal to be completely done with a game.

I am not sure where this idea in people's heads came up where MMOs somehow need to provide endless entertainment that never gets old.

If you get 100 hours out of any game - that's exceeding expectations IMO
    The funny thing here though is the "Combat is still trash" remark.

They apparently endured 800 hours of "trash" combat.

This is one of the reason I can't take Steam reviews seriously. Someone has played 800+ hours of a game and don't recommend it.
    Viper482Ashikuroretiredmjkenguru23

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    DMKano said:
    Deyirn said:

After 800 hours - it's pretty normal to be completely done with a game.

I am not sure where this idea in people's heads came up where MMOs somehow need to provide endless entertainment that never gets old.

If you get 100 hours out of any game - that's exceeding expectations IMO
    Not for a MMORPG, add a zero and I am with you.
    Viper482UnbinoFacelessSavior
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    If you get 1000 hours out of an MMO, there is no physical way that it's just the game carrying you through that much play time.

It's rare for games to have 100 cumulative hours of scripted/unique content. The only reason anyone plays beyond that scripted content is for the quality of that content, the emergent gameplay value, mods/user content, and/or the community built around a game.

An MMO is not an exception to this. It has to be designed and developed just like every other game. The pivotal difference with an MMO is the fact that it is "massively multiplayer" and consequently has a communal/social component that isn't reflected in other types of titles.

Kind of why there's much ado about how live service is handled for an MMO too, as if the title doesn't support community of have a compelling reason to invest into the game beyond the scripted content, then it just becomes a game for "content locust" to consume and move on from.

Most games are unlikely to be able to break away from that though, so even MMOs, it's hard to expect more than a "standard" amount of play time from them before most are done with it.
    Octagon7711FacelessSaviorMagplar
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Deyirn said:

The combat drives me crazy in ESO. It just isn’t enjoyable at all. Everything else is so good but the combat is why I play the game off and on.

I've been seeing this comment for years about ESO but it never comes with any examples of what people saying this consider enjoyable MMORPG combat.

Care to name a couple?
    NorseGodNephethgunklackerretiredmjOctagon7711FacelessSaviorbcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Viper482 said:
    At least they are finally trying something different. It feels like ESO content thus far is all the same, just reskinned. They come out with a ton of stuff, but it all just feels like the same thing in a different setting. Really need some different mechanics to mix it up.
    What different thing are you referring to? The year-long theme that ties the 2019 DLC together?

That seems like a pretty minor difference to me. Different in a significant way to me would be something like spellcrafting or zone wide group events.

"Year of the Dragon" is definitely different marketing but it's the same old 1 major + 3 minor DLC in a year they have been doing since they dropped the sub.
    [Deleted User]AlomarViper482retiredmj
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:
    What different thing are you referring to? The year-long theme that ties the 2019 DLC together?

That seems like a pretty minor difference to me. Different in a significant way to me would be something like spellcrafting or zone wide group events.

"Year of the Dragon" is definitely different marketing but it's the same old 1 major + 3 minor DLC in a year they have been doing since they dropped the sub.
    Think they meant more the introduction of interactive puzzle mechanics to the dungeon experience, and how those puzzle mechanics extends into even the boss battles.
    Viper482gervaise1
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited July 2019
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

I've been seeing this comment for years about ESO but it never comes with any examples of what people saying this consider enjoyable MMORPG combat.

Care to name a couple?
    You're probably going to get various different answers.

Personally, I don't like to toggle the toolbar. Maybe I'm old and my response time is slow or I'm too chill. But, I can't play like a hyperactive turbo spaz, huffing, puffing, and grunting smashing keys.

I just need things to fire off when I need it to without worrying the toolbar didn't flip fast enough or at all. It's fine playing casual solo content (I just use 1 bar and never toggle), but I feel like I fall behind when I compete (as it should be IMO).

I like ESO though.
    gunklackerOlympousGrOctagon7711
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

Care to name a couple?

Personally, I don't like to toggle the toolbar. Maybe I'm old and my response time is slow or I'm too chill. But, I can't play like a hyperactive turbo spaz, huffing, puffing, and grunting smashing keys.

I just need things to fire off when I need it to without worrying the toolbar didn't flip fast enough or at all. It's fine playing casual solo content (I just use 1 bar and never toggle), but I feel like I fall behind when I compete (as it should be IMO).

I like ESO though.
    That part has never bothered me probably because I've always used a gaming mouse with my easiest to get at button mapped to "~", the weapon swap key. I have zero problems with that and I'm almost 70 yrs old :)
    NorseGodOctagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

Think they meant more the introduction of interactive puzzle mechanics to the dungeon experience, and how those puzzle mechanics extends into even the boss battles.
    I'll have to wait and see how they implement that in the 2 new dungeons but puzzle-like mechanics in all of their DLC dungeons as well as most of the II versions of all the original vanilla dungeons, have always been a thing.

It just takes a run or two to figure out the specific trick for each one of them. And then it becomes a source of frustration in 4 man groups when someone new to the dungeon who doesn't know the choreography is in your group. It separates the player base into the "knows" and "knows not" :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:
     I'm almost 70 yrs old :)

Just so we're on the same page, I'm not answering for others. The toggle "problem" is my own.

I don't think you thought that, but I just wanted to be clear for others reading the comments.
    Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

I'll have to wait and see how they implement that in the 2 new dungeons but puzzle-like mechanics in all of their DLC dungeons as well as most of the II versions of all the original vanilla dungeons, have always been a thing.

It just takes a run or two to figure out the specific trick for each one of them. And then it becomes a source of frustration in 4 man groups when someone new to the dungeon who doesn't know the choreography is in your group. It separates the player base into the "knows" and "knows not" :)
    Can't say I remember puzzles in most of those. Simple mechanics to work around, sure. Actually trying to solve something, or having it affect the rest of the dungeon or boss battles, not so much.
    edited July 2019
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

Can't say I remember puzzles in most of those. Simple mechanics to work around, sure. Actually trying to solve something, or having it affect the rest of the dungeon or boss battles, not so much.
    Boss battles on every single "2" vanilla dungeon have them as well as every one of the DLC dungeons. They range from simple ones in FG2 where a boss battle will last 5 times longer if you kill the adds (shepherd boss) to more complex ones like the 2nd to last boss in Falkreath or the final boss in Bloodroot where you have environmental items that need to be activated at the right moment.

There are many that have floor plates that have to be activated simultaneously by two or more players to open passages, things that need to be carried from one spot to another to stop a boss from being invulnerable (Mazatlun and others) etc.

I've done all of these dungeons tens of times and it's actually rare in ESO to have one without some sort of required environmental interaction during key boss fights.

Like I said, I'll have to see for myself what they have done with the 2 new dungeons in this DLC before I'm convinced it really is something new and not just a different mechanic trick like they all have.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Care to name a couple?

I like ESO though.
    I enjoy ESO too, and don't personally have an issue with the toggling between skills. Use it prolifically with my Necro. Do have one of those various different answers to offer though.

My own gripe with ESO combat, which I enjoy in general, is the fact that it's kind of just a camouflaged version of a different system that's represented as a more action-based one. It pulls off the appearance well, but it has some fundamental hiccups because of how it was initially developed.

The issue being, when it first got to a closed beta state where people of the community had contact with it, it was discovered that it was much more of a classic tab-target MMO with you selecting targets and a more standard hotbar. The basic combat features were in part absent, and the rest was set up similar to Age of Conan, but simpler. The backlash from this lead to them retooling things and pushing the action styled combat with a reticle into the game.

Thing being, that reticle is just a "soft target". The game is still doing the same thing as if you had clicked or tabbed onto a mob, and the combat runs the same type of calculations. ESO has just had the hit/miss values min/maxed (possibly actually removed at this point) so that the game just runs off "is there a target".

Which works, mostly. The gripe comes in that they rushed this redesign at the beginning of the game, and it was painfully obvious while the game still had stability issues because people could range with melee attacks and ranged attacks could be made without really facing a target.

Some of that can still happen, but the system has been cleaned up alot and with the servers themselves more stable, it has less opportunities for egregious errors in tracking characters or mobs in facing and placement.

But that system is still there, and it is in part why the animation canceling thing is such a big factor, because all the original skills were designed as action-cooldown or channeled skills. When you take that kind of design, and stick it in a more action oriented system, it breaks how those cooldowns were supposed to work and the subsequent pacing of action.

It's also why we have never seen a deep change to that element, or "solution" to the animation canceling. They'd have to rewrite a really big chunk of the game's core code that leaves it in a very impractical state.

TL/DR;
    The game uses target-locking on the back end and reskinned mechanics from a different style of intended gameplay, that is the perpetual source of problems like the occasional hiccups seen in combat and some of the often lambasted issues around animation canceling. 
    NorseGodFacelessSavior
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

Boss battles on every single "2" vanilla dungeon have them as well as every one of the DLC dungeons. They range from simple ones in FG2 where a boss battle will last 5 times longer if you kill the adds (shepherd boss) to more complex ones like the 2nd to last boss in Falkreath or the final boss in Bloodroot where you have environmental items that need to be activated at the right moment.

There are many that have floor plates that have to be activated simultaneously by two or more players to open passages, things that need to be carried from one spot to another to stop a boss from being invulnerable (Mazatlun and others) etc.

I've done all of these dungeons tens of times and it's actually rare in ESO to have one without some sort of required environmental interaction during key boss fights.

Like I said, I'll have to see for myself what they have done with the 2 new dungeons in this DLC before I'm convinced it really is something new and not just a different mechanic trick like they all have.
    They have gimmicks, but again I don't really think most of those qualify as puzzles. Not on a personal level at least. They are often too blunt in what they are, and telegraph exactly what you're supposed to do.

Might just chalk that up to opinion, as I really just don't think of the things you just mentioned as puzzles.
    Ozmodan
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

They have gimmicks, but again I don't really think most of those qualify as puzzles. Not on a personal level at least. They are often too blunt in what they are, and telegraph exactly what you're supposed to do.

Might just chalk that up to opinion, as I really just don't think of the things you just mentioned as puzzles.
    And you have played the new ones to know that they aren't just more of the same?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:

And you have played the new ones to know that they aren't just more of the same?
     I read the article and blog post, where if you did you would be able to note they are talking about how the new puzzle mechanics, while being used at a basic level to open doors, are also allowing for more emergent elements because they are also implementing these objects into the game with weight and collision models.

Or in other words, some of the first physics objects in the game. 
    Iselin
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

I read the article and blog post, where if you did you would be able to note they are talking about how the new puzzle mechanics, while being used at a basic level to open doors, are also allowing for more emergent elements because they are also implementing these objects into the game with weight and collision models.
    Yes I read it too, as I have read promos for new dungeon DLC many times before and they always emphasize the new things each have, and they all have had some new thing that hasn't been done in previous ones.

But you dismissively call the previous ones "gimmicks" and have some faith apparently, sight unseen, that this time the new things don't deserve to be called "gimmicks."

I'm not following your logic nor share your faith.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

Care to name a couple?

I like ESO though.
    That part has never bothered me probably because I've always used a gaming mouse with my easiest to get at button mapped to "~", the weapon swap key. I have zero problems with that and I'm almost 70 yrs old :)
    Never seen someone in combat say with an Ar15 assult rifle, then switch over to a dagger run in for the kill, unless  your Rambo lol
    FacelessSavior
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:
    Iselin said:
    Viper482 said:

Yes I read it too, as I have read promos for new dungeon DLC many times before and they always emphasize the new things each have, and they all have had some new thing that hasn't been done in previous ones.

But you dismissively call the previous ones "gimmicks" and have some faith apparently, sight unseen, that this time the new things don't deserve to be called "gimmicks."

I'm not following your logic nor share your faith.
    Multiple points already made should have answered this.

1) The mechanics you cited were all often not even puzzles as they had clear/sole purpose, and most of the time an NPC tells you what it is.

2) All the previous content is isolated to the point at which it shows up in the dungeon, with no emergent or alternative value.

3) The new objects are physics objects. Which, while by itself may not mean their debut should have alot expected of them, that the game will support physics objects and their use means alot for what can be done with future content.

It's easier to follow logic if you follow the conversation.
    Ozmodan
    Iselin said:
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Deyirn said:

Care to name a couple?

I like ESO though.
    Never seen someone in combat say with an Ar15 assult rifle, then switch over to a dagger run in for the kill, unless  your Rambo lol
    I'm no Rambo but when I was in the army I was trained in some rudimentary close combat unarmed and with a fixed bayonet. It's true that modern warfare is almost 100% ranged but even at that there are different types of ranged weapons for different purposes... you've heard of pistols and grenades right?

And then there is of course the fact that ESO is a medieval weapon + magic game... lol

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited July 2019
    true salty dog, but were getting off topic and why am i even posting on this thread, i am not interested in ESO anymore, my son plays it 5,6 hours a day lol