Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frank Pearce, One of Blizzard's Original Founders, is Stepping Away - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Kano beat me to it.

As for people talking about how long he's been there, that's honestly irrelevant. Blizzard has always been horrible at optics even if its not really a big deal individually.

Ok great, have you ever been at a job for 28 years? or more?

Do you honestly think you will stay at your current job for 28 years?

I spent 23 years in the Marine Corps, when I retired, even though wars were still going on and stuff still needed to be done, I felt good about my retirement. I had spent the entirety on my adult life doing a thing, and it was time to move along.

I am sure that is how this man felt as well. Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life, is utter bullshit. It's still work! and when you don't have to do it anymore, people embrace it and rightfully so.

I suspect most here won't understand this for another 5 to 15 years. But after you have done so much, witnessed so much change, it's just time to move on. Posts like the one you quoted are just immature people that no clue what a lifetime of work feels like. And people like @Wizardry, @DMKano, and the others; hold a job for twenty plus years and then come talk to me about rats leaving a ship. Your posts on this are insulting, immature, ignorant, and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Seriously you should all be admonished for your comments.
    SBFordswagholeLiljnaSovrathTacticalZombeh

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    A lot of people going with the sinking ship comments?

I Don't think that's the case but understand why, blizzard seem to be a different company now to the one people fell in love with, but all companies change and evolve sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. I'm still a fan of theirs and am hoping for some Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 news at Blizzcon. And praying to the gaming gods for a new MMO set in Diablo, Overwatch or Warcraft universe's at some point.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited July 2019
    So - linking images doesn't work... Uploading images doesn't work... This isn't a very meme-friendly forum, is it?
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Blizzard was going down hill WAY before their connection with activision. Remove the tin hats folks you middle age ding bats!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Bye...……..take the idiots behind BFA with you.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    obviously he had to quit so he can nolife classic wow :P
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2019
    Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Kano beat me to it.

As for people talking about how long he's been there, that's honestly irrelevant. Blizzard has always been horrible at optics even if its not really a big deal individually.

You are absolutely right, but you honestly can't read as well since I said it was irrelevant. Its all about optics, i.e. how it looks to the general public. Just like Mike leaving the same year Diablo Immortal got announced (even though some people are saying he was just ousted). Why he really left, honestly no one will ever know other than him and the people involved, but I wont be some naive child taking everything at face value, especially when it involves companies like Activision-Blizzard/EA/and the like, unless you really believe they are known for their honesty and employer 'goodwill.' People should always be encouraged to use their brain and question things presented to them. If they actually did, the gaming space would be in a lot better place instead of some dumb-dumbs actually believing that lootboxes and 'surprise-mechanics' are two separate things.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited July 2019
    I wonder...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    One has to ask the question why it is even necessary to mention said retirement since said individual hasn't really been at the helm for quite some time?  Let's see... we have a forum of individuals hell bent on bashing Blizzard at every turn... so why not mention something rather insignificant in a way that sounds significant so that the tin foil hats all gather and create a news story for them?

Sometimes this isn't news worth mentioning... but they mention it purely for the reaction they know it will incite.

Imagine if it was never even mentioned here.  Would anyone actually make a post about it here because they saw a reddit comment about it?  I think, no.  Because it really isn't worth mentioning.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I read his comments over at Eurogamer and sounded like a lot of the typical political speech bull.

"Made games people wanted to play".Blizzard joins the bandwagon every single time and often much too late but being a big name,a marketing giant they can join late and still get the sales.

"good intentions"haha ,so cash shops are good intentions?They are running games that have a good avenue towards cash shops and that is pvp and any kind of competitive platform be it rankings etc etc.So like Hearthstone is selling VIRTUAL cards,not real ones but virtual,meaning you make the art ONCE,the card ONCE and it is repeated at no cost which is a far cry from real cards.Pricing is the same as real cards and unlike real cards you NEVER own these cards...ever.How is that perceived as "good intentions"?
    This guy is as full of as much bull as it gets.

You don't step away from a great paying job that involves VERY little effort like his role was and just say,i don't need all that money,i don't need to work a few hours a week for mutliple thousands,no that is just too easy,i better step away ,,,roflmao.

Even if one is blind to the entire world,you would have noticed what has been happening at Blizzard all year long,the last 2 years.Too many,like way too many over paid leeches eating at profits and finally someone,maybe Activision,who knows is clamping down on it.It would not just be Activision anyhow,it would be a large board of directors,loads of people want money and then they want MORE money and if they see millions disappearing needlessly to people they consider not really a factor in games or the sales,they want to lessen the bleeding.

SO what likely happened ,similar to all the rest,you lose your bonuses which is not really an indication of YOUR effort or work,just a % of overall business profits and you are told your salary will be a bit less.Big egos says no way,i'm out,to that i say good cya,you were over paid anyhow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Whoa, lot's of assumptions being made.  Guy stays for 28 years and leaves with 1 billion dollars in his pockets...I don't think I'm going on a limb by saying he's probably not that unhappy with Activision.

Imagine someone put a billion dollars in your pocket.  You'll like them for a minute, right?  RIGHT?!????!
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Hatefull said:
    Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Kano beat me to it.

I spent 23 years in the Marine Corps
    Yut! 
    Hatefull
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited July 2019
    Albatroes said:
    Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Kano beat me to it.

You are absolutely right, but you honestly can't read as well since I said it was irrelevant. Its all about optics, i.e. how it looks to the general public. Just like Mike leaving the same year Diablo Immortal got announced (even though some people are saying he was just ousted). Why he really left, honestly no one will ever know other than him and the people involved, but I wont be some naive child taking everything at face value, especially when it involves companies like Activision-Blizzard/EA/and the like, unless you really believe they are known for their honesty and employer 'goodwill.' People should always be encouraged to use their brain and question things presented to them. If they actually did, the gaming space would be in a lot better place instead of some dumb-dumbs actually believing that lootboxes and 'surprise-mechanics' are two separate things.
    I felt your statement on "optics" sort of contradicted your other part. Kind of.

They are essentially stating this guy is leaving. There's nothing more to be done on their part and they don't need to embellish it to appease those people who want to see some other agenda.

But some people still see it as it's "leaving a bad company." Regardless of what Blizzard does, some people are going to see it how they want to see it. No way Blizzard can change that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    From what I see bfa is doing great, I see ppl everywhere in zones, fast ques etc.

On twitch its in the top 5.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Dragnelus said:
    From what I see bfa is doing great, I see ppl everywhere in zones, fast ques etc.

Forum observations seldom match actual in game situations. The clamour of complaint always outweighs the silence of satisfaction.
    Hatefull
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    lol...so Morhaime and Pearce leave and people are seriously thinking they just want to "do other things"???

Why now? Why not a year ago, when Legion was out? ((You know, the Expansion that "saved WoW".)) Why not wait another 2 years? ((Companies usually do retirement package bonuses in increments of 10 years; at least that's been my experience.))

I fully expect WoW to receive additional monetization. - This is likely why those two finally left; they know it'll kill the image completely and don't want to be attached to that.
    swaghole

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Dragnelus said:

Forum observations seldom match actual in game situations. The clamour of complaint always outweighs the silence of satisfaction.
    Never have more true words been spoken.

Most gamers are out enjoying their games in utter bliss not realizing there is a very disgruntled few that are making up reasons why no one should enjoy any game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Utinni said:

Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Kano beat me to it.

People will ignore logic to continue their own skewed reality. There's definitely some guy on here who actually thinks he's leaving because BFA wasn't good or some shit.

Working at a company you founded since 1991. The Hubble telescope launched and Enter Sandman was on the radio. Seriously. This guy is allowed to move on with his life without any reasoning.

So you dont see anything strange that both Michael Morhaime and Frank Pearce leaving in small amount of time?
    Activision is killing blizzard and they just dont want their reputation dragged in the mud
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    The best comment here was the one about him making tons of money.