Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longest game you played?

AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
There are multiple games I played for around 2 years.  Wow, GW2, Warhammer, diablo, starcraft, atlantica online...  etc

But the most I can play the same game is 2 years tops, after that I move on to new game.

So when I heard people say:  "if you like that game so much, why aren't you still playing it?"

but who the heck play the same game for years and on, or even decades?

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Vanilla WoW 2005-2007, 2010-to date

Civilization series 1991-to date (Civ 5 from 2010-to date)

Nethack 1990-to date
    gunklacker
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited July 2019
    In its various forms - Darkfall.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited July 2019
    EQ 2000-2004
    EQ2 2004-2008
    WOW 2004-2009
    Darkfall for 3 years, don't remember the dates.

The only modern MMO I played continuously for more than 2 years is BDO.

PS: I realized the choice is not limited to MMOs, so I am gonna add Skyrim and Fallout 4 which I re-played at least 10 times each, and CIV V which I reboot at least 2-3 times every year.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Ultima Online ...  steam rolling my way to 22 years
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]JeffSpicoligunklacker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I'm not one for retro nostalgia and I move on from game to game a lot, but I think it's a pretty weird and arbitrary rule to stop playing a game you're enjoying because you hit some magical time wall. 

Sincerely,

- Still subscribed to WoW with the same main I created on launch day 2004 (though I have about 8 years of unsubbed time in those 14½ years).
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited July 2019
    AOC 2008 from beta, launch to when the  Serpent Man boss called Oldblood was released 2014. non mmorpg, starcraft, civ 3,4,5 which ill still load up now and then.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Lineage 2 from 2004 - 2017 (and tried it a couple times after)
    WoW 2004 - now (took occasional breaks)

Probably others I played a long period of time but those are the main two.
    Phaserlight
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well some of the f2ps I have played for years and still play occasionally...If you're talking which ones have I subbed to the longest:
    EQ1 5 years
    WoW 2 years
    EQ2  1 year
    Phaserlight
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online - 16 years solid, baby
    Scorchien[Deleted User]snoocky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Anarchy Online 2001 - 2012
    Morrowind 2002 - 2004
    ScorchienNorseGodPhaserlight
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    About 15 straight years of FFXI,then a few in private servers.
    EQ2 for about 6 years or so maybe was as much as 8 hard to keep track.Now i think about it was there day 1 and went about 5 years straight,then off/on until about a year ago,so likely closer to 10.
    Played Silkroad for  about 4 years.
    Played UT99 from 99,Unreal the year before and still play play it on occasion,so 20 years later.
    Still play Langrisser 2 and Bandit Kings of Ancient China,both of which have to be very old games.

Once in a while i still load up old Might n Magic games and still play Age of Empires 3 which has to be 10 years old or so.Looked it up,2005 so been playing AOE for 14-15 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited July 2019
    SWG Launch Day - NGE (straight, no breaks, no other games)

The closest is Anarchy Online which I played off and on since release day to today. 
    EVE off and on since shortly after SWG NGE.

Every other game, no more than a month or two and some that I rotate through in no particular order.
    AO
    EVE
    DCUO
    WoW
    WoT
    ESO
    PS2

***BTW, I know EVE probably isn't the best game to have in short period rotation since you need real time to progress, not counting skill injectors. 
    Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited July 2019
    MMO-wise...

EQ1 for about 3 years (2001-2003 or 4). This was logging in every chance I got for that time, though towards the end it was not like that at all.

CoH for about 4 years (2004 through 2008) logging in every chance I got, then off and on sporadically until the shut down in 2012, which I didn't even log on for.

Wizard101 I played almost everyday for about 2 years (2009 to 2010) and still log on when the mood hits me, which could be months apart.

What kept me playing was my alt-itis.

I knew every starter zone in EQ1 like the back of my hand.

CoH was so different that i'd be playing one hero, get an idea for another, then log off and create the new hero.

Wizard101 only had 7 schools of magic (life, death, storm, myth, fire, ice, and balance) that each young wizard got to choose from, one major school, one minor one. Wizard101 was the first MMORPG I actually got a character to max level.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    deniter said:
    Vanilla WoW 2005-2007, 2010-to date

Civilization series 1991-to date (Civ 5 from 2010-to date)

Nethack 1990-to date
    You seem to regard time playing a game as last date minus first date, without regard to how much you played it in the middle.  There's an awful lot of overlapping dates in there.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    EVE and WOW
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited July 2019
    Cumulatively, WoW - 3-4 years I think (broken up into 3 times)
    In one run, Everquest 1.7 years (appx)

oops forgot GW2 - that was a couple years I think

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What do you mean by played ? Continuously with a active sub ? No break? If so it would be World of Warcraft Id say from 04 05ish-08 , so 3 to 3 1/2 years. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I've played Elder Scrolls 4 & 5 for thousands of hours, maybe each.

I've played Minecraft since Alpha, and still play it today with all the mod packs out there, for thousands and thousands and thousands of hours. *WINNER for most time played prbly...*

LOTRO I'm in and out of a few times a year every year, but played a solid 2-3 years at one point, and have thousands of hours into it.

WoW I usually come back to after expacs, but BFA was the shortest I stayed...prbly a little before and 7 or so months after, but have thousands of hours into it.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Eve.... off and on for years.

same with Runescape, think that was the first online game I played after checkers on yahoo games, that was back in junior high, back in 2000-2001 I think. I've got an active sub to it right now. 

I played wow pretty religiously back during BC but stop playing after a year or two, never got to play vanilla, but i hit up WOTLK, Cata, and Legion as well, if only for a month or two each.

I still play some of the Anno games, 1602, 1404, DoD... Ect. Although the new ones havn't really done it for me.

Donno, haven't really been invested in a game in a long time. Maybe CU or Crowfall will hit the spot if they ever come out. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited July 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    There are multiple games I played for around 2 years.  Wow, GW2, Warhammer, diablo, starcraft, atlantica online...  etc

But the most I can play the same game is 2 years tops, after that I move on to new game.

So when I heard people say:  "if you like that game so much, why aren't you still playing it?"

but who the heck play the same game for years and on, or even decades?

I've played Morrowind for over 3 years (still boot it up now and again) I still play Skyrim.

Holy crap!

I have 1507 hours in skyrim
    I have 220 hours in Skyrim special Editon and ... drum roll please ...

2,761 in the creation kit which is me working on my mod!!!!! 

so, so tired ...

edit: been playing Lord of the Rings Online the longest for an mmorpg (don't know how many years but many) and I played Lineage 2 for over 4 - 4.5 years.

[Deleted User]Phaserlight
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Played Lotro for 4 years then about another 2 on and off.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    City of Heroes open to close with a few breaks of 3 months or so.  So about 7 years total.

[Deleted User]

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SequriemSequriem Member UncommonPosts: 24
    5 years of GW2.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Online probably GW2
    Offline i don't remember but it was either an NES, Sega Genesis or PS2 game.