Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going dark... Good move !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
This company has their shit together.  I know, it's all I can say.

And with a world full of greed, they are the exception. 

Going Dark while they produce is an extremely wise decision.  It's true pre-advertising developed income.  But the hard reality is they better have something to show before they go all out.... many kick starters fail because of this.

It's hard, but passion prevails !....... I'm with you :) 
GdemamiBaalzharonTokkenAjmags

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ...ah, good old "greed" hypocrisy tune.

/sigh
    alkarionlogBaalzharontweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    Such a good decision many other gaming news web sites don't even mention this game on their lists of indie MMORPGs in development.

Someone famous once said even bad press is better than no press....

:D

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Kyleran said:
    Such a good decision many other gaming news web sites don't even mention this game on their lists of indie MMORPGs in development.

Not with the fools we have in gaming...they will not only throw crazy cash at people that have never made games...but they will believe anything that they "hope" is true.

And when their such crazy hype train comes around the bend and is a really plastic cut out, they go insane and will go to their death bed's spewing hate and despair.

Gamer's are insane, rumor mongering, cannibalistic piranhas in search of their next meal.  Your gonna get eaten eventually...just have to decide when that is.
    [Deleted User]vandal5627Renfailbcbully[Deleted User]
    edited July 2019
    Sandmanjwdre said:
    Kyleran said:

Not with the fools we have in gaming...they will not only throw crazy cash at people that have never made games...but they will believe anything that they "hope" is true.

And when their such crazy hype train comes around the bend and is a really plastic cut out, they go insane and will go to their death bed's spewing hate and despair.

Gamer's are insane, rumor mongering, cannibalistic piranhas in search of their next meal.  Your gonna get eaten eventually...just have to decide when that is.
    Hmm, sounds like a lot of religions. 

"The Cult of Gaming"

Filing for tax exempt status [soon]

vandal5627Sandmanjw[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:

This is part of my point, 
    Developers should have a game first, it seems a lot of crap is published too early.  The mmorpg market already has a scam reputation.

These people are REAL, yet their not showing themselves to the public until their more real.

Actually I would love to see this list you have.  What, mostly Asian cash shop grinders ?
    GdemamiBaalzharon
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited July 2019
    Those who are part of our closed alpha are playing on a regular basis (with our most recent test session on Wednesday night, with another one coming up next Wednesday). 

Then there are those who are signed up to our newsletter. They get once-weekly updates, usually on Sundays. We're up to 505 newsletters now since starting them in late 2014. 

Oh, and then there are our forum users and Discord community, where we share regular updates :) 

We're only dark for those who choose to be in the dark :) Anyone who wants to keep up to date with our progress can sign up for our newsletter, register on our forums, and join our Discord. It's really that simple.

But for the general public? Yeah, we aren't sharing "newsworthy" updates for now, and we won't for at least the rest of 2019. 

We hired a technical art lead recently (25+ year industry veteran), we're getting ready to hire another full-time artist, and we're steadily bringing on more investors. 

We're really only focused on giving regular updates to people who sign up on our platforms. Media outlets and gamer news sites like this one won't have a lot to cover from us until we feel it's time to do publicity for sales. 

So yeah. If you want details on what we're up to, you gotta come to the source :) 
    RexKushmanKyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]tweedledumb99Scot[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    Kyleran said:

We're much happier letting others take the spotlight in the meantime. We did several years of documentation during our pre-alpha days leading up to Stage Two and closed alpha, but once we reached the numbers we needed, there was really no reason to keep doing so until we are ready to show the things we want to show. 

ScorchienKyleranAmathe[Deleted User]
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:

We're much happier letting others take the spotlight in the meantime. We did several years of documentation during our pre-alpha days leading up to Stage Two and closed alpha, but once we reached the numbers we needed, there was really no reason to keep doing so until we are ready to show the things we want to show. 

No worries, I have much respect for how your team is handling  development, but this is an @delete5230 thread where replies often are not quite what they appear.

Besides, never take what I say seriously,  most here never do.  Good luck and keep coming back.

TGIF

RenfailAjmags

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Renfail said:

Then there are those who are signed up to our newsletter. They get once-weekly updates, usually on Sundays. We're up to 505 newsletters now since starting them in late 2014. 

I signed up today. Looking forward to any newsletters. Woot!
    Renfail[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I hope you peeps are successful, and then along with game sales, you can sell a 'How To' process others can follow.

Gut Out!
    RenfailBaalzharon

What, me worry?

edited July 2019
    Gutlard said:
    I hope you peeps are successful, and then along with game sales, you can sell a 'How To' process others can follow.

Gut Out!
    Our "here's how we built an MMORPG from scratch with zero experience" documentary has been in production since we started this project :) We've talked publicly a few times about how when we release our game, we'll be also releasing the documentary + a series of video products and possibly even workshops to help folks build their own games like we did. 

In the meantime, I've got the Diary of an Indie Game Dev series at my YouTube + Patreon that dives into some of the details that have gone into what we are putting together and how we have gotten to where we are today. They go live every couple Sundays (2x per month usually), with the next episode going live this Sunday. 
    KyleranGutlard[Deleted User]
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    the good thing about being this dead is, they really scrap the game no one will notice
    Renfailtweedledumb99bcbully[Deleted User]
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    the good thing about being this dead is, they really scrap the game no one will notice
    Yep. 15 team members working + active investors + closed alpha = dead project 

/rolls eyes
    Kyleranalkarionlog
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Renfail said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    Our "here's how we built an MMORPG from scratch with zero experience" documentary has been in production since we started this project :) We've talked publicly a few times about how when we release our game, we'll be also releasing the documentary + a series of video products and possibly even workshops to help folks build their own games like we did. 

In the meantime, I've got the Diary of an Indie Game Dev series at my YouTube + Patreon that dives into some of the details that have gone into what we are putting together and how we have gotten to where we are today. They go live every couple Sundays (2x per month usually), with the next episode going live this Sunday. 
    Sweet, thanks for the info.

Good luck!

Gut Out!
    RenfailBaalzharon

What, me worry?

edited July 2019
    Renfail said:

/rolls eyes
    C'mon Ren, the release track record for indie MMORPGs hasn't exactly been stellar to date, can't really blame folks for losing their faith.
    tweedledumb99[Deleted User]Reticulata

Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:

/rolls eyes
    C'mon Ren, the release track record for indie MMORPGs hasn't exactly been stellar to date, can't really blame folks for losing their faith.
    Tis unfortunate, but also not our fault =P
    Kyleran[Deleted User]tweedledumb99
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Renfail said:

/rolls eyes
    I think you misread @alkarionlog's intent.  He seemed to be trying to say 'it is good that the *buzz about this game* is absent from the general consciousness, not that the game is dead or in trouble.  Being silent *might* be a good strategy for some other indie development projects to adapt.  That way, they could just slink away into the night without so much drama.

I didn't see his comment as an attack on SoL at all.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Arterius said:
    I am just waiting for my map and signed book to come. Happy to be supporting this game even if I can't play during testing time because of life
    Soon :) 
    [Deleted User]
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:

No worries, I have much respect for how your team is handling  development, but this is an @delete5230 thread where replies often are not quite what they appear.

Besides, never take what I say seriously,  most here never do.  Good luck and keep coming back.

TGIF

For @Renfail and @Kyleran
    Many here are keeping an eye for SoL.  I think a lot of the respect is from the non used car salesmen approach you guys are using until you have a better solid game for us. This is rare in this mad house overly pushed market of flops.... Again this is part of my point.

The few negative response stems from my reputation of Blunt topics on this site and should have no reflection on your development, anything beyond that are simply negative people.

I would like to use some of my own words here,
    With my blunt approach, I have yet to find fault.... And that's saying a lot, because believe me I look for faults and point them out quickly.  
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Thought this was a post about how dark night time in the game is. 
    Geeky
    Utinni said:
    Thought this was a post about how dark night time in the game is. 
    Have you tried Outward yet? Another game that has done darkness brilliantly. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranSovrath
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:
    Just a reminder that vast majority of video games die in development. 

Unfortunately, it's mostly the shitty ones left standing.
    /shrug

I'm having more fun gaming than I've had in years. There's a shitload of variety on PC and consoles, and as I turn 40 in January I can easily look back to where I started when I was gaming in my single digits and clearly see a massive growth of the industry, with expansion not slowing down anytime soon.

vandal5627[Deleted User]
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Renfail said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:

/shrug

I'm having more fun gaming than I've had in years. There's a shitload of variety on PC and consoles, and as I turn 40 in January I can easily look back to where I started when I was gaming in my single digits and clearly see a massive growth of the industry, with expansion not slowing down anytime soon.

For some reason the "no good games" attitude keeps popping up but all I see is more good games coming out. Also a huge amount of support for older games whether its private servers or speedrunning communities. I'm still playing games that came out in 1998-2003 and playing games that came out this year. 
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Utinni said:
    Renfail said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:

/shrug

For some reason the "no good games" attitude keeps popping up but all I see is more good games coming out. Also a huge amount of support for older games whether its private servers or speedrunning communities. I'm still playing games that came out in 1998-2003 and playing games that came out this year. 
    It's more of if it's a game that doesn't cater to them it's shitty :)
    alkarionlog
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    i been follow this game for long time, this is what mmorpg should be.
    delete5230Mikeha