Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO was unfortunately a waste of money (PC Review)

Comments

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    rodarin said:
    mbrodie said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    After seeing your playtime, I'm surprised you're not in a coma, let alone alive. I'm kind of curious how you managed to play 20 hours a day for 2 weeks straight. Something about that doesn't sound legit. If it is, I highly suggest you enjoy the real world a little more often.
    i already explained why it may look like that.. it's probably 2 weeks and 6 days but hadn't hit 3 weeks yet so it says 2 weeks... when in fact it's 20 days which is a bit more realistic for hours per day.
    LOL so it goes from 20 hrs/day down to what 14? Does it really matter?
    It is worth mentioning that steam tracks playing ESO if you have the launcher open. So its really easy to say "I played 100 hours." when all you did was have the launcher open in the background. *shrug* 
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited July 2019
    "This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP."

Dont know who told you this but the PVP in ESO is  horrible, just look on youtube for 10 v 1 or even 30 v 1 

I don't like the PvP really, but it's worth noting that there is no P2W aspect about those scenarios, just player builds and skill (excluding when it's someone just running around as emperor, which you still have to grind PvP score to obtain).
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I waited until it went on sale, can't remember if it was $5 or $10....Anyway it was too much whatever it was, a huge disappointment....terrible combat and animations, too much running around, just boring imo.
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    So who is winning the fanbois or the hatebois?
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    @Asheram The blahdewds.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I agree with everything the OP said.  I don't see the one shotting quite to the extreme as he spelled it out but it still very much leans that way.

Elswyer especially was a joke, a tiny zone for way too much money.  It should barely have qualified as more than a $10 DLC, and maybe $10 for the new necro class.  Take alook at expansions, even the last few lame WOW ones, and most other games and they provide 10x the new content.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2019
    "This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP."

Dont know who told you this but the PVP in ESO is  horrible, just look on youtube for 10 v 1 or even 30 v 1 

I am sure that if you name a PvP game there will be vids out there showing 10 vs. 1 or even 30 vs. 1. So they must all suck right?

The campaign PvP in ESO (there are actually different types) by and large and on the whole is big group vs. big group because there are no "obvious" ambush points. Which is not to say you won't find a large group running into someone rushing to the frontline and getting mobbed but. Its absolutely has a DAoC feel to it - but works beter.

Anyway - in your view - they must all suck because you can find such vids for all games out there. Right?

PS. Anyone who has ESO and hasn't tried it should. The campaign RvR is basically PvP for people who don't like PvP. No death penalty, get some new skills, there are quests as well.

Also Imperial City since that has its fun side and is pretty atmospheric. Its mixed PvE / PvP with the terrain suiting solo / small group stuff if it happens. There are also some tough PvE bosses that you might walk into as well! So if you don't like PvP you just have to go with the view that you might die but if so its no big deal.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    gervaise1 said:

I am sure that if you name a PvP game there will be vids out there showing 10 vs. 1 or even 30 vs. 1. So they must all suck right?

The campaign PvP in ESO (there are actually different types) by and large and on the whole is big group vs. big group because there are no "obvious" ambush points. Which is not to say you won't find a large group running into someone rushing to the frontline and getting mobbed but. Its absolutely has a DAoC feel to it - but works beter.

Anyway - in your view - they must all suck because you can find such vids for all games out there. Right?

PS. Anyone who has ESO and hasn't tried it should. The campaign RvR is basically PvP for people who don't like PvP. No death penalty, get some new skills, there are quests as well.

Also Imperial City since that has its fun side and is pretty atmospheric. Its mixed PvE / PvP with the terrain suiting solo / small group stuff if it happens. There are also some tough PvE bosses that you might walk into as well! So if you don't like PvP you just have to go with the view that you might die but if so its no big deal.
     Just go in to ESO pvp cp and get 1 shot, thats good pvp ?   NO
    bcbully
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    gervaise1 said:
    To add: the OP also talked in the original thread about playing for a month reporting bugs and how they were still not fixed that month.

I won't defend any company for having bugs / not fixing them. However there is bug fixing in ESO. Expecting instant fixes though - seriously. Expect a dev to follow every player around! Pfft.
    the broken ques have been around for years...
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I played ESO for two years.  It has its merits and downsides.  On the positive side, it runs very smoothly, the graphics are wonderful and there are tons of things to do in an enormous world.  But the downside, for me at least, was that once you got to maximum and were faced with doing the high level dungeons, the community got increasingly unpleasant.  So - great game if you keep your expectations at enjoying the questing and trying out different classes in a beautiful, well-designed world.  Avoid the "elite" end-gamers and you should be fine.
    gunklacker[Deleted User]kenguru23
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited July 2019
    Cembrye said:
    I played ESO for two years.  It has its merits and downsides.  On the positive side, it runs very smoothly, the graphics are wonderful and there are tons of things to do in an enormous world.  But the downside, for me at least, was that once you got to maximum and were faced with doing the high level dungeons, the community got increasingly unpleasant.  So - great game if you keep your expectations at enjoying the questing and trying out different classes in a beautiful, well-designed world.  Avoid the "elite" end-gamers and you should be fine.
    I agree with you 99% think the graphics are a little dark. but i injoyed the pve and i have at least 6 toons to max level 160cp+ my gripe with the game is pvp, in my option GW2,Daoc,warhammer,planetside are better rvr.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:

Just go in to ESO pvp cp and get 1 shot, thats good pvp ?   NO
    Never happened to me. Almost the first time I went in, low level and pretty ungeared but no.

If you don't like it though don't play it.

Don't fall into the trap though of suggesting exceptions are the rule. Same is true of many PvP games. Perma mezz etc. 

If you search you will find vids of 30 vs. 1 ESO vids in which the 1 wins. How can this be when people can be 1 shotted? Answer it is not the norm. If it was you wouldn't get the 10 vs. 1 or 30 vs. 1 that you initially brought up.

If you have found your perfect PvP game good for you. There will be vids showing just how bad it is .... but they will probably be the exception not the rule. 

ESO's campaign RvR depends on numbers, character level/gear and - and - skill. On a big map. With absolutely no death penalty. It is well done. And because class role is limiyed you can build your character how you want: a glass canon to try and one shot people or a tank to take the hit. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    Pvp is a dumb idea in mmorpg's and dungeons are a lazy way of delivering content.Your time in a mmorpg should feel like you are living in a real world,there shouldn't be systems that look like computer code,they should be something you would really do if you were there.Que's and anything else that is automated is just wrong.

"difficult" is often a term i hear associated with dungeons and/or instances.Well i already stated how i feel about that type of content however the term difficult is way over used.Combat is code/scripts,once you figure it out, how difficult is any encounter after you already know how it works?

Well having played the most difficult rpg "FFXI"it is possible to make very difficult combat but the group size has to be small,raid size groups is just lol@easy mode.The reason?Well your group has to actually be in serious jeopardy if you lose your line of defense,the TANK.I don't feel like explaining all the ways to make it difficult,i mean the quality scripts/design but will say it is possible but seldom ever done.Most of the term difficult is via means of high hit points,big spike damage and not knowing the first time you encounter that foe.

a rpg to me MUST have a sub class system and unless i see one done better than FFXI,that is the system i prefer but if someone can do it better,then great,i know how to improve that class/combat system but so far every game developer is sending combat and class design BACKWARDS.
    tweedledumb99

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SojuSoju Member UncommonPosts: 24
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

(PC REVIEW)

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game two months ago (typo fixed due to obvious out-rage at typo) after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you can expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  IF YOU WANT to be a damage dealer in this game prepare yourself for mind-numbing rotations. If you want to be relevant, you have to do this.  Its not fun doing max dps, its actually a good way to get carpal tunnel.  Most people I know used a macro to do it for them just because it was too much.

The BUGS in-game are horrendous.  I've made ticket after ticket and the support literally closes the tickets and tells me to go post in the bug forums.  I've had 3 posts in the bug forums about issues which are replicated by MANY and no response from Zenimax staff.  Not to mention the forums are over-crowded with ESO Fan Boys who tell you bugs aren't a big deal.  There doesn't appear to be any professional support system for the game at all ... which is scary ... as it has quite the price tag.

The PvP is honestly terrible.  Battlegrounds are just people mindlessly running around mashing button and the time-to-kill (how quickly you can kill someone) is very very quick.  I could one shot many folks, and I did repeatedly.  I also got one shot repeatedly myself, so if you are looking for a skill based game... this isn't it sadly.

Finally, I did the open world PvP (non-champion level) with a very nice build.  I had capped resists and impen on every piece of my armor.  I was sitting at 33K resists in combat and guess what? You still get one shot.  You have no time to react, even when dodging, or blocking.  You will see someone... and either you instantly kill them or they instantly kill you.  Everyone builds pure DPS.  Being a healer in PvP just ain't a thing, or a tank.

Just take my advice... if you wanna PvP don't buy this game.  If you like really difficult PvE content... it may keep your attention for a month or two.  That's about it.  It's not Dark Ages of Camelot and its not Everquest by any means. 

The Elsweyr expansion had a cool starting area... but its almost a joke.  The entire expansion area is super small.  When you open your map by pressing "M" you will see a dragon that flys around that people can kill.  When it dies... guess what... the same dragon spawns and flys around again... so you can kill it... again ... and again... and that is it.  There is like 5 new sets of armor which are pretty basic.  It's a joke really I am super disappointed in the entire game.  My personal opinion is the developers are milking it for money at this point.  I think its a game suited more for young kids, 10-15 age range.

Best of luck.

Hey guys, just another nobody here that wants to validate my personal opinion masked in a long diatribe labeled as a review. Enjoy the long salty read, because I am sure that you all think exactly like I do, even though I am just a random guy on the internet...

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
     :'( People don't like the same things as me.

This game sucks. Nothing more needs to be said. 
    gunklacker
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited July 2019
    What I liked in ESO: graphics, storytelling, gear crafting
    What I didnt like in ESO: animations in general, damage rotations (dots dots dots, little to no direct damage, animation cancelling everywhere), very similar gameplay regardless of class especially if you play a stamina build.

Post edited by R3d.Gallows on
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    ESO is on my rotation. My big problem is the utter lack of end-game play for casual solos, so it's been a while.
    That said, I quite enjoyed the PVP, which is rare for me. I dip my toe in but rarely bother usually. No idea what you're talking about with the one-shot stuff, never happened to me either way, me one-shotting or being one-shotted. I just quite enjoyed the zerg groups chasing around after each other taking down the castles thingies and the occasional solo jaunt to take out stragglers. Was good fun for a (short) while.

IMO PVE games should NOT have PVP. It always means compromise and neither group is happy. Unfortunately these games always seem to have some cretin on the board who thinks attempting to cater to both will "double our milk cows".

Reviews are always of little value. Very few would be as negative as the OP, and very few as positive as the fan-boyz. They are two sides of the same coin. Try it yourself, it's the ONLY way to know for sure.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    What I liked in ESO: graphics, storytelling, gear crafting
    What I didnt like in ESO: animations in general, damage rotations (dots dots dots, little to no direct damage, animation cancelling everywhere), very similar gameplay regardless of class especially if you play a stamina build. 

Most my damage on my last three chars has been direct (Templar, Nightblade, Necro). With my last one it's now more a bit of direct and a pet plus crowd effects to compliment main healing.
  • sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

Wow this forum has become even more "paid shills disguised as honest concern trolls" than it ever was in the past. Thread is full of it complete with all the usual tells. Won't derail further by listing them. There was a day back in the early century where this site was mostly players and not PR and industry people in disguise. Has become much like IMDB in that regard over the years. Can't tell what's real and what's fake.

To the topic, I agree with OP, and sorry shill concern trolls, derailing with his hours played doesn't change the validity of his complaints. They are by and large dead on and accurate.

I played ESO for awhile back in 2017. Having capped out with nothing new and needing a break from other games, I came back this June as filler, and in about a month or less have gotten to the brink of dropping it again. Usually I play games at least 3-6 months at a time.

The performance has gone from bad to worse, truly awful now. The game IS crammed full of bugs more than other similarly tenured games. General performance is extremely poor, load screens within load screens within load screens. Traveling or switching between characters has become a chore.

The trading system is still atrociously bad. The worst I've ever experienced in about 20 years of MMO playing. It is an obvious, purposeful time and gold sink, and the only way they get away with it is the rock solid IP behind the game, maybe the best in the industry. Were it not for the IP, this game would have been swirling in the tank since a year after release.

PvP -IS- a miserable experience, they like several other companies never learned that you build a good PvP system on the back of a VERY SIMPLE Guild Wars 1 arena/8 man base with a minimum of mechanics and frills and then expand from there.

To add insult to injury, they perpetrate a cataclysmic upheaval on the skills and gear systems every major patch WITHOUT ADDRESSING THE UNDERLYING PERFORMANCE ISSUES AND NEW PERFORMANCE ISSUES CAUSED BY THE CATACLYSM AT ALL! It's all nerf no fix. The patch they are about to drop, which will require a truly MASSIVE amount of gear and skill adjustments by players WILL cause... mark my words WILL cause yet another round of imbalance and performance issues.

My strong hunch is that they have penny pinched on whatever overseas contractors actually build the game to the point that they CANNOT FIX IT, and substitute infinite "rebalancing" to try to hide this.

There is one area ESO excels at. If you are a casual fantasy roleplayer wanting to join a roleplay guild and do roleplay things, ESO may be the best MMO for that ever made.

But if you are the standard quester, dungeoner, pvper that comprises a huge chunk of the MMO playerbase, my advice would be to avoid ESO like the plague.

[Deleted User]Iselin
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OP you have a block button and dodge... this ain’t WoW where you jus let shit hit you...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Arterius said:

To be fair quit a few people here are critical about ESO on here including myself. The OP however played for hundreds of hours in a short period of time and then complained about how bad the game is and how he wasted his money. AFTER SPENDING HUNDRENDS OF HOURS PLAYING. He played ESO more then alot of people play one single MMO now a days. So no matter his feelings for the game he didn't waste his money and he couldn't have hated the game that bad if he played that long.

OP's hours played are utterly irrelevant to the validity of his claims and opinions. Trying to derail in that way, as so many obvious PR shills are doing in this thread, is a combo ad hominem/red herring. Engaging in it, often accompanied by the "hey I don't like X about Y either" concern troll patina, is part of PR shilling 101. One obvious tell among many, seen on ratings, political, social media sites all over the net.

Now, back to the topic. One of the funniest/saddest bugs in ESO atm, just one example among many, is the "disappearing weapons" bug. About 20-30% of the time, when you switch zones, go into a dungeon, etc. YOUR WEAPONS OUTRIGHT DISAPPEAR AND REMAIN GONE the whole time you are in the zone. Shills claim that "add-ons cause it" but I have it on characters with no add-ons whatsoever.

Arguendo, even if an add-on caused it, ZOS has done NOTHING to identify, mitigate, PSA the bug.

Now, two direct, simple questions for you, 1. If you owned an MMO, and such a frequent bug were occurring, would you A) drop everything until that was fixed, or B) signal the playerbase that you don't give a F about fixing such a crucial bug by doing nothing week after week, month after month... then announce a patch with ridiculous levels of gear and ability changes unheard of in a 5 year old game... and do that again every 3 months?

2. How long would you continue to play an MMO where your weapons had a 20-30% chance of disappearing when zoning and stay invisible until you reloade the UI or relogged?

Tempt me and I'll list crucial bug after bug in this bug ass game to hammer OP's claims well and good, and it will have nothing to do with my "hours played."

ESO would be long dead without the IP behind it.

[Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I stopped playing ESO shortly after launch, and I still don't consider it to be a waste of money.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  

The BUGS in-game are horrendous.  I've made ticket after ticket and the support literally closes the tickets and tells me to go post in the bug forums.  I've had 3 posts in the bug forums about issues which are replicated by MANY and no response from Zenimax staff.  Not to mention the forums are over-crowded with ESO Fan Boys who tell you bugs aren't a big deal.  There doesn't appear to be any professional support system for the game at all ... which is scary ... as it has quite the price tag.

The PvP is honestly terrible.  Battlegrounds are just people mindlessly running around mashing button and the time-to-kill (how quickly you can kill someone) is very very quick.  I could one shot many folks, and I did repeatedly.  I also got one shot repeatedly myself, so if you are looking for a skill based game... this isn't it sadly.

Finally, I did the open world PvP (non-champion level) with a very nice build.  I had capped resists and impen on every piece of my armor.  I was sitting at 33K resists in combat and guess what? You still get one shot.  You have no time to react, even when dodging, or blocking.  You will see someone... and either you instantly kill them or they instantly kill you.  Everyone builds pure DPS.  Being a healer in PvP just ain't a thing, or a tank.

Just take my advice... if you wanna PvP don't buy this game.  If you like really difficult PvE content... it may keep your attention for a month or two.  That's about it.  It's not Dark Ages of Camelot and its not Everquest by any means. 

The Elsweyr expansion had a cool starting area... but its almost a joke.  The entire expansion area is super small.  When you open your map by pressing "M" you will see a dragon that flys around that people can kill.  When it dies... guess what... the same dragon spawns and flys around again... so you can kill it... again ... and again... and that is it.  There is like 5 new sets of armor which are pretty basic.  It's a joke really I am super disappointed in the entire game.  My personal opinion is the developers are milking it for money at this point.  I think its a game suited more for young kids, 10-15 age range.

Best of luck.

Since your going to repeat your post from another thread I will repeat mine,

This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP. 

Elsweyr is small but so is Summerset and Morrowwind. They just had a massive unexplorable landmass somewhere on there map. So Elsweyr just appears that way. Bigger isn't always better. What they do with the small space is truly special. Not only that but when I fight dragons I have seen a few different ones now. However, there are only 8 so yes odds are your going to fight the same one again at some point.
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/481378/elder-scrolls-online-elsweyr-is-meow-velous-so-far-mmorpg-com/p3#pwDjXAq5hHX0c4mI.99
    The White Knight is strong with this one!

Have they fix the shitty animation clipping yet?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I agree with the OP if I’m being honest because I’ve always felt games like WoW(shudder) and FFXIV are much better value for money in regards to chapters/expansions. The size of the chapters is tiny in comparison and cost the same or more.

I'm also pretty turned off by the fact that Zenimax exploits their player base with loot boxes too :/

[Deleted User]
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited July 2019
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    skiidzman said:
    Honestly,

ESO may not be worth buying unless you have low expectations.  I bought the game a month ago after looking at the reviews and hype and got max level, fully-built with yellow top tier gear from trials and 400 champion level with my guild.  First off, the combat is pretty eh.  The trials (raids are 12 man) and are once again not that complicated.  Regular groups are 4 people which kind of sucks cause I played with 6 often and we always felt unable to play content together, i.e. dungeons.  The thing is that 90% of folks in ESO are all damage dealers.  The dungeon "queue" system is built to allocate 2 dps, 1 healer, and a tank.  If you play a dps class you an expect 30 minute wait times.  What is worse... is that very regularly this queue system is broken.  It won't even work and its usually during peak hours.  

Best of luck.

Since your going to repeat your post from another thread I will repeat mine,

This seems to be written by someone who didn't play the game long. Even people who hate the game will tell you that ESO has the best PVP in a MMO right now. Its fantastic and I don't even like PVP. 

Elsweyr is small but so is Summerset and Morrowwind. They just had a massive unexplorable landmass somewhere on there map. So Elsweyr just appears that way. Bigger isn't always better. What they do with the small space is truly special. Not only that but when I fight dragons I have seen a few different ones now. However, there are only 8 so yes odds are your going to fight the same one again at some point.
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/481378/elder-scrolls-online-elsweyr-is-meow-velous-so-far-mmorpg-com/p3#pwDjXAq5hHX0c4mI.99
    The White Knight is strong with this one!

Have they fix the shitty animation clipping yet?

I admit I did go a little heavy on the white Knighting on this thread. More then usual to be honest. However, out of all the things you could have picked from you chose that quote. I mean I was more or less stating facts.

ESO is rated pretty heavily in its PVP on most MMO and gaming sites in a top 10 list. Summerset and Morrowwind are the same size as Elsweyr. This is also a fact confirmed by the devs. Their is also a few different dragons. 

Pro clipping is serious business for some folks, doesn't make it top rated either.
    And I could care less about other gaming sites.
    It's like you telling my that Suicide Ganking is PvP!
    Bad PvP is just bad PvP no matter how hard you try to sell it, it's fucking bad!

[Deleted User]
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!