Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Milestones Discussion

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Arterius said:
    JESUS... How much is the average to make a video game?
    The bigger the game the bigger the budget needed, since Star Citizen and Squadron 42 might be some of the most ambitious game ever attempted I'd say it will end up costing the same as multiple major mmo's and open world games combined in the end.

rpmcmurphyAgent_JosephKyleran
    I guess the genre of space sim's is so lacklustre that Star Citizen, even in alpha stage, is much more appealing for gamers who love that genre.

Eve's point-click being a ship gameplay gets tiring after all those years, NoManSky is more arcade, cartoony and focus more on survival and lacks true online shenanigans (for now), Elite is still stuck in it's 80's bare bones design along with having no legs or atmospheric planets to land on...

So it's no wonder that Star Citizen keeps racking up millions when it's the only one that provides the gameplay that a large part of the community find enticing!

It's not by chance that Star Citizen viewers on Twitch are usually more than other mentioned games combined.
    rpmcmurphyKyleran
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Arterius said:
    I think there IS no "average" in that case.

From tenthousands of games from solo-indy-developers  up to a few dozens from big-name-studio-teams numbering up to 1500 people  (-->"Witcher 3"), from "zero" dollar (but up to 12 years in volunteer time) up to hundreds of millions of dollars for development and marketing  (for the big IP game series).

You COULD compute an average, but it would have no informational value.

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:
    Arterius said:

From tenthousands of games from solo-indy-developers  up to a few dozens from big-name-studio-teams numbering up to 1500 people  (-->"Witcher 3"), from "zero" dollar (but up to 12 years in volunteer time) up to hundreds of millions of dollars for development and marketing  (for the big IP game series).

Have fun
    Witcher 3 had in-house team of 250. The 1 500 is number of all people who were involved in the project, and includes stuff like 500 voice actors because they recorded the dialogue in 7 different languages.
    rpmcmurphyWaanAgent_JosephKyleranBrotherMaynard

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Erillion said:
    Arterius said:

Have fun
    Would a meaningful comparison not already exclude companies and projects that were operating at, or producing a game at, nowhere near the same scope and scale?

It would be compared to the average of it's closest fellows, not to every game in existence regardless of relevance.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Babuinix said:
    Arterius said:
    The bigger the game the bigger the budget needed, since Star Citizen and Squadron 42 might be some of the most ambitious game ever attempted I'd say it will end up costing the same as multiple major mmo's and open world games combined in the end.

The thing is, Star Citizen isn't a big game, it wants to be one but it's not even 1 star system and they have still managed to spend nearly $300M.
    alkarionlog
    Babuinix said:
    Seems like plenty of millions rolling in during these 90 days top...

ELE ongoing as predicted B)

It's the backgrounds that everyone should be looking at.

In picture 1 - Can you believe this shit?
    In picture 2 - Holy shit, WTF?
    In picture 3 - Look how many Idris's those fools bought last night lol?
    In picture 4 - Can you believe this shit?
    In picture 5 - All expenses paid roadtrip, keep it coming guys!
    In picture 6 - Chris and Sandi in their $5 million mansion! Happy times!!

Agent_JosephBabuinix
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Babuinix said:
    Arterius said:

The thing is, Star Citizen isn't a big game, it wants to be one but it's not even 1 star system and they have still managed to spend nearly $300M.
    He is obviously speaking of the game as it is intended to be, just as you are obviously choosing to ignore much of what has been done so you can pretend that a single incomplete star system represents the totality of work on the game to date.
    Erillionalkarionlog
    Babuinix said:
    Arterius said:

He is obviously speaking of the game as it is intended to be, just as you are obviously choosing to ignore much of what has been done so you can pretend that a single incomplete star system represents the totality of work on the game to date.

If it's taken almost $300 million for less than 1 completed star system how much of a budget do you think is required for all 100 star systems and what is the likelihood of them of getting that budget as well as having the time to do it?

A single incomplete star system is the totality of what they've done because the only thing that matters in this hot mess is what backers have received out of it.
    alkarionlogAgent_JosephKyleranKefokenguru23
    edited July 2019

If it's taken almost $300 million for less than 1 completed star system how much of a budget do you think is required for all 100 star systems and what is the likelihood of them of getting that budget as well as having the time to do it?

A single incomplete star system is the totality of what they've done because the only thing that matters in this hot mess is what backers have received out of it.
    What they have created is a BIG chunk of the necessary game systems. And they continually add to it. And most of the single player game.

The 100 star systems is content. It can be added any time.  FIRST you need a working game system. And THIS is were most of the workload is concentrated. The lore group has already fleshened out many of these 100 star systems.

They make adding content easier by programming tools to streamline content generation. In my book that is a smart move. Time well spend at the beginning and will save A LOT of time down the line.

Have fun
    alkarionlogAgent_Joseph
    edited July 2019
    Babuinix said:
    Arterius said:

Not really, I'm speaking of the game in it's current state, it's already HUGE.

The idea that you need to have a whole system or multiple for your game to be considered huge is dumb. By that reasoning GTA, Skyrim, Witcher are not "big games" lol

Star Citizen is not focusing on quantity but on quality, Elite, NMS or any other game that relies on proc generated content might have more but they are not more varied or more detailed than Star Citizen.

I'd say that what already exists playable in Star Citizen surpasses greatly both of those in showcasing a living breathing galaxy.

Not to mention that Star Citizen already has the biggest 1:1 scale player usable vehicles ever made in a video game and their only mid size ship's considering what's more to come...

And we still have the new interior Space Stations incoming...

Also why suddently "forget" to include Squadron 42 development in the budget? 

Doesn't fit the narrative perhaps?

Post edited by Babuinix on
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:

Not to mention that Star Citizen already has the biggest 1:1 scale player usable vehicles ever made in a video game
    I think Space Engineers allows larger ships than any of Star Citizen's current ship.

Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

Not to mention that Star Citizen already has the biggest 1:1 scale player usable vehicles ever made in a video game
    I think Space Engineers allows larger ships than any of Star Citizen's current ship.
    I am with Vrika on this one. The huge ships in Space engineers are on the Bengal scale in Star Citizen. We have not walked through the Bengal yet in SC, although we have seen it in videos.

When the carrier is in SC, we will have large ships of similar size.

However, the level of detail in SC is significantly higher than in Space Engineers. Its a game with ships made out of blocks, kinda LEGO style. Functional yes, beautiful no (IMHO). Nice to play, but no feast for the eyes.

Have fun
    edited July 2019
    I was thinking about proper realistic fully functional modeled 1:1 vehicles made by game studios not player made lego constructions ala minecraft/space engineers or else you could include just any procedural tool to create an infinite block city/vehicle and call it a day.

If we draw a realistic earth in a A4 sheet of paper it will always be more impressive than filling it with random dot's and calling it the universe.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Well I'm impressed with the momentum these two games have, not likely we'll see such again, at least not in the near future. 

The market really is lackluster,  this is one of the brighter spots on the horizon.

Just have to make sure I live long enough to play it.  

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Arterius said:
    I would agree that there is no "average". For example Activision Blizzard announced $500M for Destiny - clearly not the cost of Bungee simply "making" the game for them but advertising, running costs and whatever else. The cost was given out to shareholders by their CEO (RK) so it can't be ignored. 

Does a game's cost matter though to gamers? 

We spend $45, $60 - whatever. We "care" about quality, game play, quantity etc. but cost? Even though our expectations drive the costs all we care about are what we are paying and what we are getting.

Now is a $500M game better than a $50M game? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder so for some no. And there is no direct link, imo, between cost and what we get. Overall however and on balance extra cost will result in a "better" product as far as most people are concerned.

So should RSI spend extra? 

At this point in time I don't think they have any option but to continue on the path they have set. If they had started out creating minecraft style ships would they have got the backing they have? Maybe but we will never know. And to change now would generate much angst I am sure - real or otherwise. 

Since they declared that they will be able to finish the key - key - need is product delivery. (Not saying raising money isn't vital etc. just no longer key).

And in that regard they are currently "behind" on there quarterly delivery schedule. Its crucial for them to remember that what they have out there is an alpha. Releasing with no bugs is nice but the key thing is to release; to not get themselves into the position - twice now  - of not sticking to their drum beat.   
    DING !

230 million  (230,369,346 $)

Have fun

B) Ding Ideed  B)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I'm not sure if people are just that passionate about this game or just dislike it that much, but it sure gets alot of attention....Of course, 230M given to the company will draw attention also.
    DING !

231 Million  (231,038,389 $)

Have fun

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Babuinix said:
    Arterius said:

I am starting to think I won't even have time to play this game (retirement joke?).  I hate playing games and not being able to explore all of the aspects.    If they pull this off the way they want to that will be a problem.

I made a joke about my computer not running it well and that I probably would have upgraded before release.. . turned out to be true.  The game ran great. .then like a pig (which can actually move really quickly) and then decently again.  I should check it out once more.  I really just want to play S42, but an nice open world is appealing (if I can "live" in it)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Ding
    B) 231M B)

Furthermore, :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Any breakdowns on what items people are buying to the tune of $2M a month?

Probably not mostly starter packs I'm thinking. 
    NorseGod

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Well recently... Ballistas, Ballistas everywhere.

Along with starter packages, upgrades, ship's, cosmetics...
    Erillion
    B) Ding, 232M B)

At ease, pilots.