Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have we become ?

2»

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,571
    edited June 23
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'm enjoying myself between ESO and Destiny 2 right now. 

Personally, I'm not excited for any MMO, old/new... well maybe the relaunch of Destiny  this fall but really I'm just waiting for this moment next year

Yesterday while cleaning my wife found a box full of my old PC Gamer magazines in the attic and it's funny how excited people were back then for MMOs myself included... it was truly the gold rush, I am actually surprised that there were so many MMO covers.  Good memories.

I kept the Planetside cover as a reminder of what pure innovation looks like and I kept the SWTOR one as an example of what some innovation looks like when HYPE overtakes it. When the hype is bigger than the game it's destined to fail. Super true for MMOs.

The tagline for the Planetside issue reads "THE WORLDS FIRST MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER "PLANETSIDE" FROM THE CREATORS OF EVERQUEST!"   

that issue also had a strategy guide for Baldur's Gate 2

The tagline for the SWTOR issue reads "STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC, THE BIGGEST MMO EVER" 

lol...we put the rest of the magazines in the trash.
    MisterZebubVermillion_Raventhaldragonlee66BaalzharonbcbullyPrime_DirectiveGrunt350Torval
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 2,953
    I became older
    I became wiser
    I became an MMORPG.com member

Life’s been pretty sweet.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kylerandelete5230HatefullPhryMendelAmatheGutlardAgent_JosephTorvalJean-Luc_Picard
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,208
    There are no good games out there except the one or two that I think will be "true" mmos. Anyone who feels differently than me is wrong and a shill for the cash shop industry.  Hey, why are you guys so negative? Thing One, Thing Two. 
    KyleranPhaserlightHatefullAeanderShaddyDaddyRich84kitaradcheyanebcbullyTorval

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 922
    There are dark clouds on the horizon, but there is also hope.

Gut Out!
    dragonlee66Torval

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,210
    Gutlard said:
    There are dark clouds on the horizon, but there is also hope.

Gut Out!
    Always carry an umbrella or a good solo player game when the outlook is gloomy. :)
    dragonlee66Torval

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    We always have Star Citizen...
    Rich84Phaserlightcheyanedragonlee66HatefullTorval
  • agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 65
    The ultimate mmo is still yet to come
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,772
    lol .. people are still here obsessed about a by-gone genre? The success of the looter shooter and diablo-ish games show that you really don't need a virtual world or adhere to the MMO tropes to make good, multiplayer PVE games. 

And obviously MOBA, battle royal, and now all the battle chess games capture the pvp crowd.

New genres come along. Old genres die (or go dormant). May be people should consider not to marry to their video game genre. 
    BaalzharonTorval
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,276
    lol .. people are still here obsessed about a by-gone genre? The success of the looter shooter and diablo-ish games show that you really don't need a virtual world or adhere to the MMO tropes to make good, multiplayer PVE games. 

And obviously MOBA, battle royal, and now all the battle chess games capture the pvp crowd.

New genres come along. Old genres die (or go dormant). May be people should consider not to marry to their video game genre. 
    OMG you're back . Long time no see.
    Torval

• ElidienElidien Member RarePosts: 1,397
    It seems like every few years we have this period (call it a lull if you wish) where the current crop of great games are still great but many have the "been there done that" mentality. We then try the heck out of any possible game in alpha, beta or new release that may never been heard of. We are looking and searching, trying to find that game that will, once again, capture that magic that we felt at the last big game that came out.

I think we are in that lull right now but the market is so diverse and there are so many smaller games coming out, that people get very excited for many different ones. We constantly hold onto hope that one of them will be the next big thing.

I remember this period existing prior to WOW/EQ2 and then again around the time of Warhammer and Conan and then again with FFXIV and ESO.

For me personally, I am not looking for any major release. I may will try WOW Classic or its new expansion, usually return to ESO with every major update and have my eye on 2035 when Camelot Unchained releases. 

But for now, I am loving some Atlas alpha, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Stardew Valley when I want to chill a bit, but most of all (and I know its not a popular sentiment on these forums) but I am playing the heck out of some Fallout 76. I am literally loving the game so much at this point. And really all I want is a game where I can explore, fight and loot. Give me a big ole space, with a decent story, with all the junk I can loot and I am happy. 76 checks all of those boxes for me. For now.
    bcbully
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Gloom, despair, and agony on me. 
    Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
    If it weren't for bad games I have no games at all.
    Gloom, despair and agony on me!
    KyleranHatefullVermillion_RaventhalTorval
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,576
    For those too young to have any idea what this refers to.  (I think @delete5230 is the 2nd one in from the left)

;)

bcbullyTillerTorval

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,821
    Kyleran said:
    For those too young to have any idea what this refers to.  (I think @delete5230 is the 2nd one in from the left)

;)

Thanks Unk
    Torval
  • PpiperPpiper Member RarePosts: 1,059
    What, no mustard? No one ever gets that reference. That being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of FFXIV. No negativity here. Sorry to disappoint.
  • UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 1,246
    All the greatest MMO's still exist in various forms. If you can't find a game worth playing you are the problem, not the games.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,744
    Hatefull said:
    Judging from the negativity here... It's only doom and gloom.  

It's one thing to say mmorpgs are going down hill..... but in regards to the response I'm seeing, it's worst... Seems everyone truly views failure.  With that, EVERY future post about ANYTHING at all is a worthless topic.  

Has this site turned into a site about semantics ?

An argument just to catch a wrong statement and capitalize on it with creative writing ? 
    I'm no better, but I recently created a positive post and most everyone bird shit all over it. 

We need a good mmorpg to turn things around..... Sadly the next best thing is more than a year away. 
    You constantly set yourself against everyone else, your point of view seems to be: Only my definitions and opinions matter, everyone else is just inferior. You constantly set up strawman arguments to support your (usually borderline insane) ideas, you constantly try to redefine long-standing MMORPG terminology to fit within your scope of how things are, you try to sell your opinions as facts...

And now you want to know why you get hit with a shit storm of negativity when you post? Self-licking ice cream cone dude.
    I don't know if it's insanity or trolling taken to a doctorate level, but it's always popcorn worthy! :D
    HatefullTorval

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    The tagline for the Planetside issue reads "THE WORLDS FIRST MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER "PLANETSIDE" FROM THE CREATORS OF EVERQUEST!"   

when Planetside first came out, before Base capture nerf, it was pretty dam good.
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,764
    edited July 14
    Blame the parent.

Because things were growing in 90's very well.... Fugazi, amazing.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Threa title reminds me of this

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,772
    kitarad said:

Well .. i check in once in a while. To be honest .. it is really to see how the forum fares. I have moved on away from the MMO genre for a long time. 
    Torvalkitarad
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,305
    edited July 15

We need a good mmorpg to turn things around

• Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Negativity is that little Jiminy Cricket that keeps you in reality.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,576
    kitarad said:

Well .. i check in once in a while. To be honest .. it is really to see how the forum fares. I have moved on away from the MMO genre for a long time. 
    So have many of us, been a few years now since I've played one seriously.

Torvalkitarad

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,276
    kitarad said:

I usually play single player games or ARPGs these days and I occasionally play an MMORPG. The most recent is City of Heroes. Then I started back up on my single player games again. My City of Heroes toons, all 20 of them, are languishing.