Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you have backed CU if you knew it would take this long?

Comments

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    nooffal said:
    I'm hopeful they will eventually get the pvp mechanics figured out. 

My bigger  fear is the "why" or the "hook." Part of what made DAOC's pvp/rvr appealing was the pve and the actual realms you were a part of. Remove the pve and you care much less about your realm. It takes on more of a FPS style feel where you have a base that you defend while you tried to take over your opponents. 

This was evidenced in the warhammer online model where the first 3 tiers of the game felt super fragmented and became waste lands you never returned too. It also made you care less about your realm and the world you were a part of.

Even if they nail the pvp mechanics and keep sieges, there is much more that attracts a MMO fan. The depth of the world, exploration, stories, little areas to explore, etc... all play a critical role in establishing the "why." CU is a game engine with some pvp mechanics right now. While that still needs significant time to complete, depth of experience and world is another massive effort on top of that.

I agree so much with everything said here.

The time this is taking is far less of a problem than - will this be any fun to play once out.

That is a far bigger problem. So far - they have a huge amount of work to do to make me want to play this.
    Agreed as well. The reason PvP meant something in Lineage 1 is because of the PvE. People sieged to own PvE dungeons that would drop stuff they could use or sell to get better in PvP. In my opinion the PvPvE with dynamic social politics is what has made the game the mega hit it is.

I agree there needs to be a hook thru an emotional attachment to the realm, and I don't think killing mobs/raids/doing quests is required to make this happen.

An emotional attachment to the realm and its actions doesn't mean you can't play all three realms - just that when you're playing TDD, you care about your (non-jerk***) realmmates at least slightly more than random enemies.
    It should mean that you can only ever play one of those factions on a server at a time.

@Torval Yep, thats how theyre doing it.

But people will play diff servers cause they have fave classes in different realms, different groups of gaming friends, etc.

@anyone: CU for me has gotten way more fun in tests over the past 4 months.

For the first 4+ years it was like a 1/10 or 2/10, then by beta 1 it was like 2.5/10, then with building destruction and castle siege it got to like 3.5/10. Over the past few months it's gone up to a 5.5/10. If it stays stagnant here, I won't want to play it. But there's no reason to believe they'll immediately just stop making the game better. So I'm excited to see what the next few months bring.
    Kyleran
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:
    Here's the thing, the gaming landscape is undergoing major paradigm shifts with VR, AR,  next gen consoles/PC hardware and soon all of the new streaming services.

Will CU and other indies be able to keep pace and finally launch or will they need to go back and retool their games yet again to take best advantage of the new market.

By the time CU launches, I may very well decide to put away the PC for good and migrate to playing games on consoles or streaming platforms and very likely I'll have a lot of company. 
    Nonsense, though different points are wrong for a variety of reasons.

VR becoming mainstream to the point that gamers commonly spend hours per day playing it is still a long way off.  Evolutionary advances on existing hardware aren't going to get us there anytime soon.  If we ever reach the point that more gamers say "I won't play that game because it's not VR" than "I won't play that game because it requires VR", that won't come until long after CU is either launched or canceled.

The gaming move to consoles happened about 40 years ago.  If anything, the direction in the last twenty years has been from consoles to PCs more than the other way around.  You could personally do whatever, but that doesn't mean it's going to be common.

Game streaming doesn't fundamentally rely on anything about the particular game.  Thin clients can already run arbitrary programs.  There are probably some little optimizations you'd want in order to make streaming less bad than it would otherwise be, but if they need to make those optimizations, they can make them when the time comes.  A heavy move to game streaming wouldn't kill CU unless it goes a long way toward killing off gaming in general.

And even if any of the paradigm changes you expect do become prevalent, the creation of a new market doesn't mean that the old ones go away.  The last several years have seen the rise of a lot of bad mobile cash grabs, but that doesn't mean that all other games vanished.  There are still plenty of PC games being created and sold.
    Since 2010 sales of desktop PCs has steadily declined from 158M units shipped to a projected 79.5M by 2023.

Laptops sales are fairing a bit better, only declining from 209M in 2011 to 170M, but many of those are likely not capable of running this sort of game well.

As this game is being targeted to run "well" on a mid range desk top PC is it unreasonable to assume there are fewer customers capable of buying and playing this game?

More people are gaming now than ever before, perhaps just not on their desktop PCs.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/global-shipments-forecast-for-tablets-laptops-and-desktop-pcs/

There is a qualifier though, sales of gaming PCs has actually been on the rise recently due to the growing eSport market but it remains to be seen how much crossover there might be for those buyers and this sort of title, my guess is not so much.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gaming-pc-sales/?linker=1*uzfehw*clientId*bUVvaXYya3B5Vk1jdjhHU19xcTJ4QzZXeXN4SXV5blBQNWlYb0taTFNSR2tlSC1iUS1JcjBBcS04NGdoT0F5Nw..

I agree with the assessment VR is likely to remain mostly an outlier, but if the new game streaming services really take hold will CU and other MMOs run well on them, or will devs need to spend more time and effort making sure they do so?
    A major reason why desktop and laptop sales are down is that hardware isn't advancing as fast as it used to, so it takes much longer before performance is unacceptable.  Just last year, I replaced a desktop that I built in 2009, and it still gives decent performance.  It had been upgraded some since then, but still had the original CPU and motherboard, among other things.  Twenty years ago, a desktop with a 9 year old CPU would be pretty much unusable.

For game streaming services, the question isn't whether they can get MMOs to run well on them so much as whether they can get anything at all to run well.  If it takes game-specific optimizations to make that happen, then most likely it will be one of two cases:

1)  The optimizations only deal with timing when a handful of particular things are sent, so they only affect a very small portion of the game engine, and it's easy to retrofit the changes later if you control your own game engine.
    2)  The optimizations necessary greatly restrict what can be done with gameplay, to the extent that most game mechanics that you might want are ruled out and a game that is optimized for streaming won't be fun.  This is more likely than you might think, as the delta compression that thin clients use chokes if you have too much of the screen constantly changing at once.

Either way, games in development now wouldn't be able to do anything to prepare for it.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    With Windows 7 being unsupported next year I realize I am still using a perfectly serviceable Acer laptop for my work and day to day affairs which I got in 2010.

My gaming laptop is over 4 years old yet continues to handle any game I'm interested in with no problem.

A far cry different than back in 2002 to 2010 when it seemed like my hardware went obsolete in 2 yrs or so.

Also, just read an article somewhere that said in the EU PC Games are crushing it, dominating many of the top spots on the charts.

So the good news is we should have plenty of great games on the PC regardless how other platforms grow. (Whether CU will be one of them remains to be seen)

At the end of the day I still feel the PC is the superior gaming platform which I'll be likely staying with for quite some time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RumblerBRumblerB Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I agree the tests are getting better by the week. Each week they put up a new build and I notice small improvements in the game across the board: graphics/lightning improvements, sound tweaks, better usability, bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, etc. This has been going on for the past few months, which has led to a significant improvement to the look and feel of the game.

It's one of the few times I've seen a crowdfunding dev say "now that the tools and tech are in place, we can focus on pumping out game improvements faster" and then actually follow through on that statement and show significant progress on gameplay development.

Obviously CU still has a long way to go, but in the current state I find it a fun enough experience to warrant logging in and messing around for a few hours in the tests.

The addition of the ability builder has made the character building process much more complicated and in-depth, but also introduced a ton of ridiculous imbalances. However, for every crazy OP ability build on one faction, there's an equally OP build on the other faction just waiting to be discovered. There's no information out there yet about how to build characters effectively, so there's no meta that everyone follows. This has led to a wild west type situation where the balance in a given match swings wildly depending on individual players with super powerful ability/character builds.

My favorite aspect of RPGs is tinkering with different character builds and figuring out OP combinations, so that aspect of the CU beta is right up my alley. It's obviously a primitive representation of the full game, but it's also a unique environment that can be some good fun if you just accept it for what it is.
    tweedledumb99JamesGoblin
    edited July 2019
    RumblerB said:
    I agree the tests are getting better by the week. Each week they put up a new build and I notice small improvements in the game across the board: graphics/lightning improvements, sound tweaks, better usability, bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, etc. This has been going on for the past few months, which has led to a significant improvement to the look and feel of the game.

It's one of the few times I've seen a crowdfunding dev say "now that the tools and tech are in place, we can focus on pumping out game improvements faster" and then actually follow through on that statement and show significant progress on gameplay development.

Obviously CU still has a long way to go, but in the current state I find it a fun enough experience to warrant logging in and messing around for a few hours in the tests.

The addition of the ability builder has made the character building process much more complicated and in-depth, but also introduced a ton of ridiculous imbalances. However, for every crazy OP ability build on one faction, there's an equally OP build on the other faction just waiting to be discovered. There's no information out there yet about how to build characters effectively, so there's no meta that everyone follows. This has led to a wild west type situation where the balance in a given match swings wildly depending on individual players with super powerful ability/character builds.

My favorite aspect of RPGs is tinkering with different character builds and figuring out OP combinations, so that aspect of the CU beta is right up my alley. It's obviously a primitive representation of the full game, but it's also a unique environment that can be some good fun if you just accept it for what it is.
    This is a great post, I love to see other people's takes on the testing - helps me understand my own experiences in game better (e.g. realizing it's not me sucking, it's me fighting people with wildly OP builds).

Vaguely related - One of the best things I've seen about the testing is: regardless of any individual player's build, a team that works together can absolutely demolish an equally sized or larger team of players who don't communicate + coordinate. It's so much in the direction of prioritizing teamplay for success, that I think they need to tone it down a bit - a couple players who have thought out their complementary abilities well can whoop ass against 5x their number without too much effort.

But the fact that team play is so critical to success is hugely important to me, because of the game's foundational principles of the Realm War (RvR) being the only game in CU. In order for that to actually work, people need incentives to work together to complete Objectives (official tasks, with in-game rewards, that you complete for your realm or for a campaign) or objectives (informal tasks e.g. your group raiding reinforcements to a big fight and cutting that supply of fresh fighters [though this kind of objective could be a formal campaign or realm Objective as well!]).

And the biggest incentive to work together effectively in a PvP or RvR game is the incentive of being able to smash the opposition, even when they have more numbers than you.

I still do want them to tone it down (was in a fight of 9 Tuatha vs. 2 Arthurians and the Arthurians were unkillable), but they're starting from the right direction.
    JamesGoblin
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    DAoC had/has a winning formula. Basically all they had to do was take it, update the graphics/engine, create a new world, work on the netcode to make more players feasible and bam, you've got a winner. I'm a bit worried that after so much time and what they show now is quite weak. 
    meddyckViper482
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I backed when they went into beta, thinking it might take a year or so to release.

I currently have no confidence that it will ever release, but even if it does, I have even less confidence that the RvR / gameplay will be even remotely as good as what is already available in ESO or even GW2.

Viper482JamesGoblinmeddyck
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2019
    I remember the Wheel of Time,i played that game,it was based off the unreal engine.Not really much of a game ..lol.
    Anyhow,someone said "obsessed "with large scale battles.I do not think they are obsessed at all,i feel that is their ONLY selling point.

Small low budget teams cannot produce content rich games,all they can offer is a open world pvp and not much else or what can typical;ly be called a survival game.Imo these studios should just go for the survival game mode because they are never going to produce a AAA mmorpg..like NEVER.
    Crowfall is in a similar place,it'll just be a pvp battlegrounds,the only difference is they saw a gimmick to attract people and realize a cash shop with the castle idea.IMO the castle idea is cheap and constricted,it wouldn't sell to me at all.

Point is that i get the feeling a lot of people THINK these survival type games are going to be fully fledged mmorpg's and they are NOT.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited September 2019
    RumblerB said:

This is a great post, I love to see other people's takes on the testing - helps me understand my own experiences in game better (e.g. realizing it's not me sucking, it's me fighting people with wildly OP builds).

Vaguely related - One of the best things I've seen about the testing is: regardless of any individual player's build, a team that works together can absolutely demolish an equally sized or larger team of players who don't communicate + coordinate. It's so much in the direction of prioritizing teamplay for success, that I think they need to tone it down a bit - a couple players who have thought out their complementary abilities well can whoop ass against 5x their number without too much effort.

But the fact that team play is so critical to success is hugely important to me, because of the game's foundational principles of the Realm War (RvR) being the only game in CU. In order for that to actually work, people need incentives to work together to complete Objectives (official tasks, with in-game rewards, that you complete for your realm or for a campaign) or objectives (informal tasks e.g. your group raiding reinforcements to a big fight and cutting that supply of fresh fighters [though this kind of objective could be a formal campaign or realm Objective as well!]).

And the biggest incentive to work together effectively in a PvP or RvR game is the incentive of being able to smash the opposition, even when they have more numbers than you.

I still do want them to tone it down (was in a fight of 9 Tuatha vs. 2 Arthurians and the Arthurians were unkillable), but they're starting from the right direction.

If you want the game to be a complete failure this is a good thing. These games require population, and big population means lots of casual players. Casuals are going to be looking to roll with warbands. 

Either way....this is RvR. For me RvR should not be a small elite team based thing, go play Overwatch. RvR is supposed to be large scale with warbands fighting each other on a huge battlefield. Small hit and run teams who play smart like Spec Ops Forces should be part of that, but a small team should not be able to destroy an entire warband. SOF101, a large conventional force will destroy a small SOF unit outside of Hollywood. They avoid them, they don't engage them.
    JamesGoblin
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The main thing, is that they pushed the thing the game is on beta when it's far from that stage of dev at this moment. Thankfully at least instead of pushing this whole raw thing as the beta the game is getting a longer delay to develop it so much needs
    edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    The main thing, is that they pushed the thing the game is on beta when it's far from that stage of dev at this moment. Thankfully at least instead of pushing this whole raw thing as the beta the game is getting a longer delay to develop it so much needs
    My opinion only....

Recall back in Jan 2018 CU received a significant amount of new investor funding. 

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/18/camelot-unchained-isnt-in-the-dark-ages-anymore-after-raising-7-5-million/

As development was approaching the five year mark in April that same year I believe he promised the investors CU would be in "Beta One" by mid-year.

Like most developers today he "defines" terms like alpha or beta to whatever suits his needs hence what they have completed even today is far from what most would consider a beta state.

As someone else mentioned, CU appears to have far less done than SC who remains firmly in alpha and is accurate in the latter's case.

Mark is often lauded for his openness and honesty but he can double speak with the best of them.

You'll note he regularly visits and replies to comments when MOP does a story but totally avoids coming here anymore as he knows he can't control the conversation nearly as well and MOP sort of shills for/protects  devs they like.
    gervaise1

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    My opinion only....

Recall back in Jan 2018 CU received a significant amount of new investor funding. 

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/18/camelot-unchained-isnt-in-the-dark-ages-anymore-after-raising-7-5-million/

As development was approaching the five year mark in April that same year I believe he promised the investors CU would be in "Beta One" by mid-year.

Like most developers today he "defines" terms like alpha or beta to whatever suits his needs hence what they have completed even today is far from what most would consider a beta state.

As someone else mentioned, CU appears to have far less done than SC who remains firmly in alpha and is accurate in the latter's case.

Mark is often lauded for his openness and honesty but he can double speak with the best of them.

You'll note he regularly visits and replies to comments when MOP does a story but totally avoids coming here anymore as he knows he can't control the conversation nearly as well and MOP sort of shills for/protects  devs they like.

The Alpha & Beta are still well defined and very easy to perceive from the stage of a game at this point.

What I worried on CU that they would pull off something developers have been doing to claim they "meet their release date", that is branding something of beta / released that is clearly not on that stage, just so that liability is cleared.

The flashbacks to steam early access releases now lmao
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Not sure why people get twisted out of shape. MMOs rarely launch on time. 
    JamesGoblin
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited November 2019
    Luiden said:
    It just feels like all their effort and testing goes into 1 aspect of the game.. if that is the only thing this game does at release I'm going to be really pissed.     
    It’s WAAAAAGH! Oops wrong game.
    JamesGoblinAgent_Joseph

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well, you can either get a finished game, or games like anthem and FO76

chose  ;)
    NorseGodHatefullAgent_JosephRoin

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited November 2019
    Thane said:

chose  ;)
    Anthem was in development for a freakishly long time too.  That didn't prevent Anthem from being bad and whether or not a long development time will prevent CU from being bad is up in the air until the day CU comes out.
    meddyck
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    My opinion only....

The Alpha & Beta are still well defined and very easy to perceive from the stage of a game at this point.

What I worried on CU that they would pull off something developers have been doing to claim they "meet their release date", that is branding something of beta / released that is clearly not on that stage, just so that liability is cleared.

It should be noted when Mark recently shifted the release date to "maybe" by the end of 2020, but if so it won't be feature complete he basically is saying when the money runs out, we launch.

As the lion's share of funding is by investors, he is giving revised dates in this way to mollify them, not the kickstarter backers who he's happy to give refunds to (knowing few will take up his offer) just to relieve himself of his original obligation to them.

Smart, fair but make no mistake, totally self serving.
    gervaise1Hatefull[Deleted User]Gdemami

Thane said:

chose  ;)
    More and more it's looking like none of these indie MMOs will launch any more feature complete than their AAA forebearers did or still do.  

They are just going to take a hella lot longer.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiRich84Axxar

edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    My opinion only....

It should be noted when Mark recently shifted the release date to "maybe" by the end of 2020, but if so it won't be feature complete he basically is saying when the money runs out, we launch.

As the lion's share of funding is by investors, he is giving revised dates in this way to mollify them, not the kickstarter backers who he's happy to give refunds to (knowing few will take up his offer) just to relieve himself of his original obligation to them.

That whole thing is just buying more time ofc, the whole refund also acts as marketing, as far we're aware of their reality with smaller backer base and investment money on the prospects (aka angry people) the impact is minimal attm.

But this is how crowdfunded MMOs go, it will get to the point either more time, more resources and money, needing further funding, etc... The delay is the delay, but then comes like you said how long will the funds last vs the stage of the dev they'll achieve with it. Hence why still main concern is that they have to release half-baked instead of working towards more funding to keep core dev for longer.

JamesGoblin
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    My opinion only....

I suppose there is still a chance that CU will only release when it is "feature complete" but I agree with you that this seems, as a minimum, to be laying the ground work to releasing a "minimum viable product".

And it is consistent:
    - DAoC was released unfinished;
    - Mythic putting itself up for sale because, as MJ said at the time, it was that or shut down development of WAR and lay off all the staff;
    - WAR releasing unfinished - the (ex-Mythic) staff were very clear that EA left them alone to develop the game and fully supported them there simply came a point when development had continued long enough.

Pragmatic.

It does beg the question though whether other "lines in the sand" will be set aside. The obvious one being: no cash shop. CU is essentially an investor funded game. If subscriptions alone are not repaying the investment what chance a cash shop that sells cosmetics say .... rather than, as MJ has said, the game being closed down.

Close down the game and not repay investors vs. cash shop selling cosmetics, keep the game open and, hopefully, repay investors.

This is purely a theoretical of course since CU, like ESO and Wildstar, is going to have 10M subscribers .....
    [Deleted User]KyleranJamesGoblinmeddyck
  • SnusdosanSnusdosan Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Yes. I backed this game with 50 way back and i dont regret it because this is the closest i can come to play Warhammer online again unless i want to play some private server of RoR and Dark age of camelot is not for me. Doesnt matter if it takes years longer to launch, this game is going to be fun for anyone who likes PvP and the type of politics you find in game of thrones between guilds and alliances. Good stuff
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    housemade engine... it just takes alot of time.

not sure why people are supprised by this
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

So far it is more like the little engine that couldn’t. We’ll see what kind of progress they will be making this coming year, but something needs to happen soon.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Torval said:

I think the only surprise is that people still gaslight and virtue signal this sort of unethical behavior given the context and scope of the discussions we've had around it.
    I know what the individual words mean but have no idea what you mean. Spell it out for me..?
    CopperfieldAxxar
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited December 2019
    Stopped caring when they start focusing on the CUBE system.
    They wasted a good 2 years on it, something that is totally optional and not part of the core game.
    That proved to me they were totally out of their depth.