Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumping in.. is it a good time?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
Thinking of jumping into the game, but wanted to know if this is a good time.  Is it flushed out enough?  Is there gonna be a wipe when it does release?  How is the population?

Any answers would be appreciated.

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited June 2019
    The game is still heavy developing, is not on beta yet, the game still faces wipes every major update aside of its big need of features to bring in a lot of profession related gameplay and other mechanics that are raw.

That said, 3.6 now releasing making the game closer to more persistence with already talks of minimizing the need for wipes between the major updates. Aside from that, it introduces expanded Ship Buying & Ship Renting mechanics in-game with the earnt currency that is obviously a big step forward on player progression.

But either way, It's always hard to play a developing MMO because all you do lasts tops a few months, it's just for those who don't mind it.
    mgilbrtsnKyleran
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    No not yet. 
    sumdumguy1Axxar

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    Not launched, need I say more?
    sumdumguy1KyleranQuizzicalAnthurNorseGodAxxar
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Until it launches why would jump into a game you haven't invested or don't already own short of helping test? It seems unwise to me, especially with what we've experienced in this industry and the uncertainty of things.  It could be ready in 1 year, 5 or 10, who knows.

ScotKyleranAxxar
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    Until it launches why would jump into a game you haven't invested or don't already own short of helping test? It seems unwise to me, especially with what we've experienced in this industry and the uncertainty of things.  It could be ready in 1 year, 5 or 10, who knows.

For any game not out yet I do wonder about the people who play before launch. They must be bored by the time it launches, come on they did something three years ago and here they go again? Come in fresh at launch, you will be surprised at everything, who cares if you don't get some pre-order goodies, how much you are going to enjoy the game is the most important thing.
    rertezKyleranOlemagiAxxar
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Thanks all.  I think I have my answer... not yet.  sad, because it looks pretty good to me.

I self identify as a monkey.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    No refunds.
    Babuinix
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sure, you can jump in now.  You will still be pre-launch, if that's important to you, and you might be able to actually beta test something.  Still, jumping in now won't get you a completed game now, and you'll be far, far behind in what really seems to matter in this game -- spending.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2019
    Mendel said:
    Sure, you can jump in now.  You will still be pre-launch, if that's important to you, and you might be able to actually beta test something.  Still, jumping in now won't get you a completed game now, and you'll be far, far behind in what really seems to matter in this game -- spending.

I'm sure there's still plenty of time (years even) to get caught up on spending.

:D

RI hasn't met a game mechanic they aren't willing to monetize nor found many fans unwilling to pay big for them.

:#
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Star Citizen has occasional free trial weekends. MMORPG.com usually makes a news when one is coming. If you're interested, wait for a trial weekend and check it out free.

But it's not really ready for more than spending a trial weekend testing out different things yet, it's too unfinished.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Its better than EVE Online in its current state. For some reason EVE Online removed walking in stations and captain quarters. Star Citizen is already vastly more advanced because of that, but space gameplay is also a ton more fun and advanced than the pseudo click based with auto AI to do 99% everything for you that game EVE Online is. 

Definitely worth checking out, because there isn't a space MMO nearly as advanced as Star Citizen and Star Citizen isn't even released yet.

However elite dangerous is better in a lot of ways as its actually "complete", but it is a released game. But it isn't really an MMO and you'll very rarely see anyone if at all even in multiplayer.
    Not sure if trolling or serious.
    URMAKERKyleranmmolou
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Thinking of jumping into the game, but wanted to know if this is a good time.  Is it flushed out enough?  Is there gonna be a wipe when it does release?  How is the population?

I'd say no. Right now jumping in would be like buying a menu to look at for a restaurant that's yet to be built.
    I think it's more like going to a fancy restaurant, where they bring you really good looking food, then tell you that cutlery is still in development and will take a couple of years to finish, but hey you can enjoy looking at the food and imagining how you'll eat it in the future.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    There is no time constraint on when to jump into a religion. The mystical/mythological entity that drives it, is meant to exist in perpetuity.

Now make that donation brother, and become one of the flock. The bigger the ship, the bigger the blessings in the alphalife. May the enlightened Chris Roberts lens flares shine upon thee.

Axxar
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Kefo said:
    Its better than EVE Online in its current state. For some reason EVE Online removed walking in stations and captain quarters. Star Citizen is already vastly more advanced because of that, but space gameplay is also a ton more fun and advanced than the pseudo click based with auto AI to do 99% everything for you that game EVE Online is. 

Definitely worth checking out, because there isn't a space MMO nearly as advanced as Star Citizen and Star Citizen isn't even released yet.

However elite dangerous is better in a lot of ways as its actually "complete", but it is a released game. But it isn't really an MMO and you'll very rarely see anyone if at all even in multiplayer.
    Not sure if trolling or serious.
    Star Citizen is literally a ton better. Its pretty genius what the fans of SC did though.

What happened was a ton of Star Citizen fans created a lot of fake hate for walking in stations/quarters in EVE. In actuality they wanted EVE Online to not have that feature and wanted it removed so Star Citizen would have no serious competitors. CCP took the bait and fell for it.

Never seen such genius marketing strategy with that, when it was a strategy by fans and not the company themselves.
    Trolling gotcha
    Kyleranmmoloubcbully
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vrika said:
    Star Citizen has occasional free trial weekends. MMORPG.com usually makes a news when one is coming. If you're interested, wait for a trial weekend and check it out free.

<snip>
    This. Would assume there will be one some weeks after patch 3.6 - so maybe the end of July.

Kyleran
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449

Wut? LOL

What drugs are you smoking?
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Yes Op.

Buy an Idris. Thank me later.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2019
    newbismx said:
    Yes Op.

Buy an Idris. Thank me later.
    Very likely much, much later, say in 3 or 4 years at present rate.
    Axxar

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    With SC , you need to jump out, not in .. 
    NorseGod
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I recommend to wait until the next free fly weekend.  Try it for free, get an idea if helping to playtest the Alpha version is interesting for you.  I like it a lot, especially experiencing the steady evolution of Star Citizen. Your mileage may vary.  The basic package is in the 50 bucks range, if you decide to jump in. Everything else can be bought in game with in game money. Wipes are still frequent at this stage.

Have fun
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When it comes to jumping in, its like a Swimming pool, its best to wait until there is actually some water there to swim in  ;)
    KyleranKefoAgent_Joseph
  • CS1310CS1310 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Phry said:
    When it comes to jumping in, its like a Swimming pool, its best to wait until there is actually some water there to swim in  ;)
    I agree. I still bought it though and played it for a few hours then deleted it, lol. There was just so much lag. They apparently fixed that bug, but I'd rather wait too.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    mgilbrtsn said:

At least you would be getting in early in the development process.

NorseGodnewbismx

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018