Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard should consider a B2P model for Classic WoW

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I believe a B2P model like GW2 would be more successful for Classic WoW coming out the gate compared coming out as a P2P model

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Gdemamikertin

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2019
    I agree but I know it won't happen. I think the whole point, Blizzard's point, of Classic is to increase Live numbers in the long run. By putting Classic under the same subscription, when people get tired of Classic, and the majority will since there's going to be no content updates, a lot of them will leak onto the Live servers.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    And I just seen about anything when I see a Wow buy to play a-a, when I see a WoW buy to play
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I agree but I know it won't happen. I think the whole point, Blizzard's point, of Classic is to increase Live numbers in the long run. By putting Classic under the same subscription, when people get tired of Classic, and the majority will since there's going to be no content updates, a lot of them will leak onto the Live servers.
    It won't be long when the player base will complain Blizzard should update classic and keep it going.
    delete5230
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    No thanks. B2P games in theory are nice but wow is already tainted enough as is with the model it has now. Switching to a B2P would just open the flood gates. If you don't want to spend 15$ a month for something that just asks that of you and nothing else, maybe you dont want it as much as you thought you did.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    When they release Classic WoTLK I'll try it out.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    And so it begins....

See, they were right, many people only think they want a true classic version....

I believe a B2P model like GW2 would be more successful for Classic WoW coming out the gate compared coming out as a P2P model
    Nope. Vanilla WOW had a sub, this version needs to be sub only, heck, the cash shop should be rolled back to the same period as well...haircuts and name changes only, bet that won't be happening.

GeezerGamergervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    COME ON $15 A MONTH WITHOUT CASH SHOP !!!! you spend $100 ++++ a month on cash shop game. get a job , stop whining
    Kyleran

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Nonsense.

WoW Classic is the only MMO left that can sustain a yearly subscription, because of the slow levelling and how long it takes to get all the BIS gear.

Ironically is WoW live that should be B2P as it is only a 3 months affair (right after an expansion), like any other MMO nowadays.

The only problem is that Classic has a limited content, and eventually it will run out.
    I give it 2 year top if people take it easy.

Luckily Blizzard will roll out TBC and WotLK as well (I know they will), so they have a good 4-5 years before they have to think about something new.
    Who knows, maybe they will manage to fix Live by then.

Kyleran
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited July 2019
    Considering 95+ percent of wow classic players will be returning players, who already bought the game, b2p sound like an exceptionally bad idea for act,iblizz.
    Adding to that.. The very real possibility that this will turn into some kind of progression in to bc and wotlk, makes b2p an even worse idea.
    KyleranVrika
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    F2P "I don't want to pay for anything"
    B2P: "I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription"
    P2P: "I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars in the cash shop"
    TEKK3NKrematory
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    It won't be long when the player base will complain Blizzard should update classic and keep it going.
    That would be great wouldn’t be?

It won’t happen though.
    They will try to fix Live injecting some of Classic elements instead.
    It will take them a couple of expansions though.
    They are already trying to phase out Flying by delaying it even further than usual.
    Who knows maybe there will be no flying in the next expansion.
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Not even close, like Sodda said Classic wow is one of few games id pay 100$ a month to play (wich i totally agree with), if you have a game like that u dont go B2P...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Okay... the B2P price is equal to 3 years sub fee... only you can't play retail because it requires a sub.

Which one would you rather have.... $15 for access to both games or $$$ for access to just one.

Trust me... one month sub of $15 is far cheaper than anything you would ever spend B2P wise.  And odds are pretty good, you aren't going to play 24-7 beyond the first 30 days of rose-colored glasses anyways.

Classic isn't likely to be much more than a flavor of the month sort of thing...  like beta, here for x amount of time then shutdown ("into the Disney vaults") where it will be released again years later.

If you want Classic forever... you need to be on a private server.  Because they are the only ones really entertaining the idea.  Blizzard isn't.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    And so it begins....

See, they were right, many people only think they want a true classic version....

Nope. Vanilla WOW had a sub, this version needs to be sub only, heck, the cash shop should be rolled back to the same period as well...haircuts and name changes only, bet that won't be happening.

Right now, you can believe Blizzard is betting on Classic. Does anyone actually believe they aren't going to monetize the S**T outta this thing?
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Subscription model is better because this way people checking out classic will also check out modern WoW, and people playing modern WoW will also check out classic. Blizzard gets more players to both of their games.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    itsover said:
    COME ON $15 A MONTH WITHOUT CASH SHOP !!!! you spend $100 ++++ a month on cash shop game. get a job , stop whining

They should make it $150 (more maybe) perhaps? To much for you? Stop complaining - get a better job! 

Fundamentally the discussion about subs is not about cost but about value. When Blizzard went nearly 2 full years with no added content, launched a paid expansion, and then went another near 2 years with no added content a lot of people decided that there were other games / companies that offered better value: more content, more fun, more respect etc.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    TEKK3N said:
    That would be great wouldn’t be?

It won’t happen though.
    They will try to fix Live injecting some of Classic elements instead.
    It will take them a couple of expansions though.
    They are already trying to phase out Flying by delaying it even further than usual.
    Who knows maybe there will be no flying in the next expansion.
    The problem each time they try to phase out something even more players leave. Phasing out flying mount won't make the game better. WoW hits it's best point of it's life was at Lich King days and flying was still around. With trying to inject anything from classic to live can become a problem as a lot of the elements was time gated, and not sure people have the time as they had in the pass.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    “This company should make this game cost even less to play and make less money it “
    - every thread like this
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Why should they? For years people have been saying that they play on the private servers because Blizzard does not offer them the same thing and not because it is free. So now put the money where the mouth is.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    gervaise1 said:
    itsover said:

They should make it $150 (more maybe) perhaps? To much for you? Stop complaining - get a better job! 

Fundamentally the discussion about subs is not about cost but about value. When Blizzard went nearly 2 full years with no added content, launched a paid expansion, and then went another near 2 years with no added content a lot of people decided that there were other games / companies that offered better value: more content, more fun, more respect etc.
    While it is correct to say Blizzard went two years between expansions it's my understanding content was added in or updated regularly between each for no additional charge.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    no.
    millux
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Albatroes said:
    No thanks. B2P games in theory are nice but wow is already tainted enough as is with the model it has now. Switching to a B2P would just open the flood gates. If you don't want to spend 15$ a month for something that just asks that of you and nothing else, maybe you dont want it as much as you thought you did.
    Once you go F2P or B2P as you pointed out, it opens the flood gates to the cash shop and then all development is centered around that.  It's pretty much that cancer that everyone has but pretends its "okay" because now they have more games to dabble in.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    As much as I'm not into BFA...I like the idea of classic players (I'll be playing it, too) help fund retail :smiley: sooooooo, no.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Kyleran said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    And so it begins....

WoTLK is when I started, so IMO it's the best WoW ever was, so I want to play that version. If Classic turns into a progression situation to that expansion I'll def check it out. I'll just need to figure out what to do with all those beautiful skill tree points again. ha

If I had played Classic Vanilla WoW I would want to play that also, but it was before my MMORPG time. I can understand people wanting to play Classic Vanilla and having legit fun with it.

I play Atari, NES, SNES games still and a lot of the ones I loved when they came out in the 70's/80's/90's then I still love to play now. A few weren't as good as I remembered, but most still are.

Why would this be any different?

Sure, the psycho levels of fandom hopefully won't reach the same high (lots of neglect happened), but peeps that loved that Vanilla will hopefully find a lot to love back again.

Every success story is a step up for the genre, IMO.

If this succeeds hopefully the Dev's will see the type of gameplay lots of us still want vs. 'improvements' hardly anyone asked for.

I'm just glad they're willing to try with this.

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• KorecKorec Member UncommonPosts: 13
    no