Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The N word

Comments

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Arterius said:
    Scorchien said:
      The Internet is no place for emotions or feelings ..

You keep saying that but that is just not the reality I live in
    You have your pronouns all Fugged up, there .................. Fixed
    You know the only reason you reponded was because of an emotion or feeling you felt that made you have to respond to them right?
    Scorch have emotions or feelings, puleeze.

;)
    Sure he does, he responded to me :)
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I know the feeling, OP.  Way back when MMORPGs (and this website) were relevant, I was here all the time, posting away.  Posting, posting, posting.  I even created a thread that became a "Spotlight Post".  However, since the site revamp years ago, I've not been able to get my "Spotlight Poster" title to appear.  Every time I tried to message the powers that be, I was met with silence.  I think.  I don't know, it was a long time ago.  But it offended me. 

Obviously, /s

Yeah, the "n" word is offensive.  So are most things thrown about on the intertubes.  I don't know if you're trolling during a slow day at work, nor do I care.  I don't even know why I'm writing this, honestly.  Beer me, it's Friday.
    xD_Gaming
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,811
    So my summer is a disaster so, I'm taking medicine that really makes me sleepy but I need it to live out my days. 

Never felt like this  and like to login to games to occupy my time. 

I was logged into a game and someone called me the n word because I didn't do something right. It really hurtful and it made me fall deeper into an abyss that has no end. 

How do you guys deal with someone who calls you the N word ? 
    Sorry that brought you down.

I have to say I've never been called that and even if someone did (or used another word) it wouldn't bother me.

Someone using that language "at" you is about them. Not you. They don't know you, don't know what you look like and quite frankly, if they are using offensive language to throw you off, don't seem like decent people.

Don't let your value get tied up in what other people think. Own your life. You decide who you are, you decide your value.

And if you don't feel like a person of value don't sweat it. Work toward becoming a person of value, a person who you would respect and a person who doesn't let others dictate how they feel.

Remember, the Elephant pays no attention to the gnats that bite at their skin.
    xD_Gamingklash2defKyleranCryomatrix

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,684
    Scorchien said:
    Arterius said:
    Scorchien said:
      The Internet is no place for emotions or feelings ..

You keep saying that but that is just not the reality I live in
    You have your pronouns all Fugged up, there .................. Fixed
    You understand me wrong. I don't bring feelings onto the internet. i could care less what people on the internet say or if the believe what I say or try to tell me who I am...

I am gay cross dresser who ended up falling in love with a woman and got married. So believe you me I have been called alot worse or treated alot worse then I will ever be treated on the internet. However you can't look at the number of people who kill themselves because of online bullying and say that the real reality is that I just get butthurt.

I mean I go on the IGN Forums about a hundred times a day. These forums and what people say is child's play with what is going on over their.
    xD_GamingBaalzharonklash2def
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 (Xbox One X), TemTem

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,032
    my dear blog...

I will ask this again, how the hell you guys function in the world if a single little word can hurt you so much? serious one day people will prefer they kill each other then hurt they little "feelings"
    Your are calling a racist term "feelings". Think about that for a minute. 

PhaserlightBaalzharonklash2def
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,082
    People on this site call me every name in the book... Learn to brush it off :)
  • xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,032
    the n-word is not an "every name". 
    PhaserlightBaalzharon
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,000
    So my summer is a disaster so, I'm taking medicine that really makes me sleepy but I need it to live out my days. 

I was logged into a game and someone called me the n word because I didn't do something right. It really hurtful and it made me fall deeper into an abyss that has no end. 

That sucks, man.  Use the report feature, or if there isn't one then email the devs.  Remember the exact time and name of the player (or go through logs if the game supports that sort of thing).

Then move on.  If nothing happens, abandon ship and never forget.
    BaalzharonxD_Gaming

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

Minecraft server: kyoto.apexmc.co

I don't really think that's true at all.
    Kyleran

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,598
    edited July 2019
    OP I'm not sure of your actual ethnicity and I really hope this post is coming from a sincere place. You said you are hurt, I really hope it's sincere. I really hope you aren't just making this up for clickbait. This is a deep subject and it's Nothing to joke about.

All that being said I've experienced this many times online. I am very open in my online communities about who I am, because I am proud of who I am, just as everyone else should be. Im not hiding anything. I'm not one of those "I don't see color" people because I do. The world is painted in color. We all should "SEE" color (aka Races) because that's part of being human. We live on a super diverse planet, why would you want all Humans to be the same? If you can't accept people who are different than you are, then you may need to get the first trip off-world because that's all you are going to experience on this planet.  There is no such thing as "I don't see color."  It's the same as saying "I don't acknowledge the fact that there are other cultures different to my own."  It's silly. It's like only Acknowledging the Dog as the only Animal... and the rest You just don't see. 

That being said, using the "N" word... It's just not funny. I can speak from experience. The reason why it's very hurtful for someone like myself, an African American is because of the history behind the word and how it was used for hundreds of years as a weapon to systemically oppress an entire Nation of people in America. Slavery may be over here in America, but Racism which is the byproduct of slavery is not. It's really unfortunate that "internet culture" think using the word is the same as calling someone "Stupid" because It's not. It should never be used period. I know WE use it towards each other as terms of endearment but again that's a fight we (Blacks) have to deal with internally, I am on the side of none of us should say it, But I also understand the history behind it and us taking the power out of the word for US. Again.. if you aren't black this isn't for you. Just because we haven't figured it out yet, does not mean its a free pass for non-blacks to say it. It's not.

There a million words you can say, so you can afford to lose this one. Just don't say it. Period. 

/sigh  It really sucks that this became a trend in gaming and now it has to be explained why non-blacks shouldn't ever say it. 

I used to play on a GTA 5 RP server and you wouldn't believe the number of little kids running around saying "N" this and "N" that as if it's normal for them to say it. They think this crime (again this is a deep topic) simulation game is a free pass to act out what they think is "Black".. its deep. They make characters that look black but the voice coming from it is clearly not black. Don't give me that bullshit about "Well how do you know they aren't black" trust me I've been black my whole life, I know what it sounds like. I know the difference. We don't say "N" like that. It just sounds different. Play me audio of 100 random kids saying the word I can point out which were black, which are not, I 99% guarantee this with maybe a 1% marginal era. Most others like myself can too.. I digress. 

The best thing to do in this situation is to ignore the person or people and don't give them the dignity of a response. That's what they want. I wonder the age group of the culprit(s) not that it matters but it helps to better understand if its "Stupid kids thinking they are funny" or "Full grown racist adult"  I deal with these differently. Adults get an auto ignore. Kids get an auto explanation why they shouldn't say this word then an ignore. 

OP If this is true, I'm very sorry that this happened to you, my heart goes out to you. It fucking sucks.  if you are a non-poc, then I'm very curious to know in what way it hurt you? I'm just curious because context matters. Again, I'm on the side of nobody should ever say it to anyone but there is a big social connotation based on who said it. 

This is the worse trend in gaming in my personal opinion. All we can do is educate and when someone uses it call them out, tell them its not cool or funny. Then put them on ignore. 

Words matter, to the people who say "oh its just a word" you are right it's just a word. Doesn't mean a damn thing. Still hurts people. What you say matters, online or offline. Be mindful of that. Stop saying stupid shit. 

ArteriushallucigenocidexD_GamingBaalzharonAsm0deusPhaserlightkitarad
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"Fear is the most dangerous power"

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,919

Call them one back. I leaned the from years of gaming. It’s hilarious, “IM NOT A F’N N!!!!!” They go nuts lmao.
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,684
    Not to change the subject but what is with all these touchy subjects today. First murdering children then the "N" word. I mean jeez
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 (Xbox One X), TemTem

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,581
    People are morons even on a good day. If it's from a bigger game just ignore and keep playing. You get to a certain stage in life where you don't really care what people say as long as it doesn't interfere with game play.
    xD_Gamingklash2def

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 339
    Akulas said:
    People are morons even on a good day. If it's from a bigger game just ignore and keep playing. You get to a certain stage in life where you don't really care what people say as long as it doesn't interfere with game play.

You SHOULD get to a certain stage in life where you don't really care what people say.  Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  

I demand a safe space be implemented on these forums!
    Baalzharon
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Arterius said:
    Not to change the subject but what is with all these touchy subjects today. First murdering children then the "N" word. I mean jeez
    dunno about murdering children stuff but people playing games are just that.. people. it could probably be a benefit to remind eachother of that. so if topics seem "sensitive" at times you may ask yourself why it makes you feel that way. gaming is supposed to be escapism. but for whom? 
    klash2def

I had fun once, it was terrible.

edited July 2019
    Akulas said:
    Yes and No. Depending on who you are/what was said. it interferes with gameplay. 

I'm 100% going to log out for the day after having someone call me that "N" shit in a game. It messes up my whole mood. It's not really a sadness for me its anger. When I get angry I know its time to do something else. Nothing wrong with that. It affected me. I won't give them the dignity of a response though outside of telling them why they are wrong, then logging. I don't care what their next response is. I type my message in chat, put them on ignore then log out. 

It's easy for you to say "I don't care what people say" because at the end of the day the word "N"  really has no connotation for you at all. There is no history there. It's just a word for you so you don't relate. 

For me and others like myself, it's much different. I logged in to play the game not be treated like shit. We are all humans and we all feel things differently. It's okay to be hurt by racism, its hurtful.

You are right though on ignore being the best option. It is but not caring about what people say in a game is subjective of who you are and what was said.  
    BaalzharonxD_Gaming
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,747
    What I've never understood is why it's considered so offensive? White people get called Honkey, Cracker, White Devil and all other crazy stuff and it doesn't bother me one bit. On top of that, people of color call themselves the N word all the time like it's a good thing.

I really wish someone would explain that conundrum because none of it makes any sense to me.
    Baalzharon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,421
    Rhoklaw said:
    What I've never understood is why it's considered so offensive? White people get called Honkey, Cracker, White Devil and all other crazy stuff and it doesn't bother me one bit. On top of that, people of color call themselves the N word all the time like it's a good thing.

I really wish someone would explain that conundrum because none of it makes any sense to me.
    Turn it around and put yourself in the position of being the minority who were once bought, sold and bred like cattle and even after that stopped for a 100 years you had to sit at the back of the bus, drink from a different water fountain, etc.

That's the difference. You didn't start out on even terms as equals.
    klash2defAsm0deusBaalzharonxD_Gaming
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Hang in there brother.
    BaalzharonxD_Gamingklash2def
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited July 2019
    Rhoklaw said:

imagine having never been bought.(that's you) now imagine being sold as whatever. 
    would you still consider yourself equal?
    Kyleran

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited July 2019

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,747
    Iselin said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Turn it around and put yourself in the position of being the minority who were once bought, sold and bred like cattle and even after that stopped for a 100 years you had to sit at the back of the bus, drink from a different water fountain, etc.

That's the difference. You didn't start out on even terms as equals.
    Turn it around? I'm pretty sure whites were enslaved long before black people ever were. Anyhow, in regards to equality. Recent historical changes have all made claim that white people descended from black people, so how did we all of a sudden become the majority? If you constantly use America as your only argument, than that's probably why no one will ever agree with it.
    klash2defBaalzharon

Rhoklaw said:

Taking a derogatory word and then co-opting for one's own use essentially takes out the sting and allows the offended group to sort of redefine it.

As far as slurs towards "white people", it's a group that has had some level of power for quite some time. When a group feels empowered already, any derogatory term is going to ring a bit hollow.

Couple that with the fact that white people will call other "white people" cracker or "hick" and it then becomes more of a class thing.

Additionally, even though "honkey" is an older word (which really wasn't that bad in its original uses) it wasn't really made popular until 60's or 70's and that fact makes the word feel outdated.

that alone takes out any energy that it might have.

klash2defAsm0deusBaalzharonCryomatrix

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

Victim mentality, everyone of these people who get SO upset about the N word have never been and have never known a slave. They just want to play the victim. YES slavery was awful, you know what else was awful? The holocaust, maybe even more so. Has that stopped people from calling me a NAZI? no, I been called a Nazi and other bad things but I let it go, I move on and get over it. You should to.

Asm0deusBaalzharon
    edited July 2019
    Rhoklaw said:

I literally just explained it. 

Non-Black? Don't say it period. The fact that we say it to each other is an internal issue that WE need to deal with but just because we haven't figured it out isn't a free pass to non-blacks to say it. 

You don't seem to understand that black people took the word from the oppressors that intended to weaponize it against us. That's how we started to deal with it in the early 1900s We simply took it and gave it endearment. That was our choice. I am on the side of none of us saying it but again that's an internal issue. It's not for non-blacks to figure out. Just leave it alone. 

Why it's so offensive? None of those words you just said against "whites" were used as part of the system to shut down your entire race in this country.  End of discussion.  
    IselinSovrathArteriusBaalzharonxD_GamingPhaserlightVermillion_Raventhalkitarad

This discussion has been closed.