Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One World of Warcraft Fan Imagines 'What If' in Unreal Engine 4 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageOne World of Warcraft Fan Imagines 'What If' in Unreal Engine 4 - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft super-fan "Daniel L" has spent several years recreating some of WoW's most iconic locations in Unreal Engine 4. He gives other fans a peek into a familiar, yet gorgeously rendered Azeroth and perhaps makes a few wistful for a more modern (graphically) version of the game. Daniel L has stitched together several of his recreations of Grizzly Hills, Elwynn Forest, Duskwood, Westfall, and Durotar.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    edited July 2019
    Wow… Just gorgeous… Would play WoW in a hearbeat again if it came out like this.
    foppoteeAlomarillutianLighttipMaurgrim
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited July 2019
    I really enjoy watching this guy's videos. The music is so beautiful. The first one especially.
    JeffSpicolifoppoteeTacticalZombeh
    Chamber of Chains
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive never liked the look of Wow while also realizing I am in the minority and people "ooh and aah" about the look of WoW. If it looked like this I might want to give it a try.
    AlomarLackingMMO
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 476
    edited July 2019
    Yes please!

Instead of remaking wow classic exactly the way it was, they should have remade wow classic like that video up there. Would have received so much more attention and subscribers.
    foppoteeTindale111illutianDracSchnider
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    So you can hide in raids all week. Doing the same exact thing players do now except the world outside of the raids will be higher rez. Awesome.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    That WOW music, intoxicating
    foppotee
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DarthDowtyDarthDowty Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Great Video. Makes me think of what a Wow 2 could look like.
    foppoteeSabrac
  • todzilla85todzilla85 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I like wow because it doesnt look like this
    ValdheimSinsai
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Yes its updated graphics but to me it completely lost the art style of WOW to just look like any other game.
    Thomas2006Xingbairongsk8chalifsyltmackacampbellxyzazonic69ValdheimSinsai
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Yep, it looks pretty but it's not Warcraft.
    Thomas2006XingbairongcampbellxyzSinsai
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited July 2019
    Look a bit pretty but I bet the frame rate is not that great if it was the real game with out a really high end video card.
    Sinsai
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2019
    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist:

:D
    SovrathcheyaneRueTheWhirl
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited July 2019
    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist:

:D
    Funny part of the Video how much Epic game engine is becoming a big Monopoly.
    Folmen
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Ffs guys, this is just a guy with a passion for world of warcraft who spent a huge amount of time in unreal to create something that was never meant for commercial use or to be functional in a real game xD Its really well done in my opinion for a fan art piece
    GazoleoTacticalZombehtinoberserkmgilbrtsn
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2019
    This place is under attack today from advanced A.I. , Especially Coupon and hooker bots !!

Seriously though, does anyone else feel like Boston Dynamics are a bunch of sadists ?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I would love to see character models in that video, especially female Draenei and Night Elves which are 70% of all my WoW characters.

Also, if Blizzard upgrades the game to UE4 and becomes Epic Store exclusive that would probably be the real WoW killer.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited July 2019
    The effort is commendable; however the allure of WoW lies in the cartoony graphics and not in photorealism.
    campbellxyzSinsai
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Galadourn said:
    The effort is commendable; however the allure of WoW lies in the cartoony graphics and not in photorealism.
    It does?

Certainly doesn't "a" lure me!
    Galadourn
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Galadourn said:
    WRONG,cartoon graphics turn me off be cause it looks lazy and cheap.Photorealism is a bad terminology to use because we are not talking about simply taking a picture,we are talking about ART,people spending time to show off their art skills,cartoony graphics in rpg's does NOT look good.

If you want to talk about Pixar quality cartoony that is a whole different ballgame,that is EFFORT and quality,Wow graphics are neither.
    The Lure of Wow imo since i was there day 1 was a mass influx of NEW DSL people that just wanted a game to play.Not any game but something heavily marketed,a Warcraft title that was already known,a developer already known and the now ever popular mmorpg crave that was hitting mainstream.

NOBODY was playing Wow for the game,how would they since they did not know a single thing about the game and for 65% of the players they never even played a mmorpg before.

What is the lure of WOW right now,simply EASY to play,easily recognized.Personally Wow has zero appeal because as already mentioned,terrible graphics,low quality work both in models and textures and armor/gear.Linear game play imo does not belong in a MMO so yeah there is zero appeal for me there.

The simple thread is simply about the visual,it is not even trying to compare Wow as a GAME in unreal to one not in Unreal.As a visual difference,way above and beyond better,would that be good enough,of course not,i still need the game design.
    Lahuzer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Havent a few people now showed videos of what if wow was in xxx engine? It does look pretty but the 2003 rigs still running it would melt

They'd lose a good chunk of their player base, yep.

Lots of long time WoW players have absolutely terrible computers, since they didn't need to update them to continue playing the only game they really play.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Beautiful
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Almost WoW.. gotta move faster than that! 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Comparing WoW's earlier levels to BfA is pretty easy to see the differences. BfA is more defined/detailed, but I care about what I'm looking at for the first few minutes and then start asking myself if I'm being entertained or not, for the most part.

I'd play WoW or any other MMORPG that looked like that also as long as it was fun.

This person is obviously talented and did great work!

I wish game engines were easier to update to better graphics like that though.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Pretty good effort

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    lol go ahead blizzard add unreal 4 engine!!!! i dare you!
    gammer 4 life