Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrible communications from the devs

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
ESO is a fun game, I've been playing since closed beta. For a casual player, it works pretty well. For PvP and competitive raids, etc, however, it is getting more buggy and laggier with each release. The official forums are full of complaints about skills not firing, lag with insta-death from enemies you never saw, constant disconnects, long load times, etc.

And ESO devs never respond to any of these threads. As the posters get more and more frustrated, the threads end up being closed for not being "constructive". But the devs never respond in any meaningful way. The same thing happens on the test server. People test the new code and find all kinds of problems, and report them. The devs don't respond, and the bugs go into the live release anyway.

So just a word of warning. The game is fun as a casual player. But if you want competitive raiding, PvP, or just large teams, expect to have a lot of problems. And don't bother reporting them. ESO devs never respond or communicate.

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wrong engine, just look how small all their zones are and all instanced, and the way they use geometry to block your view of the horizon.  The biggest zone is the PvP zone but there isn't much in it, and look what a laggy mess it is when you players together. 

Its not going to get any better without a rebuild of the engine which is never going to happen.
    KyleranRexKushman
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The game was so smooth with hundreds of players on the screen in Cyrodil. Then cam the lighting change... lag as been something you’ve had to deal with since.
    Kyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    A sample comment after people started noticing that their furniture suddenly lost high-rez textures:

"The more time passes with no response from anyone from ZOS to this issue, the more I'm convinced this was indeed something that they did deliberately, and hoped it would just fly under the radar. Disheartening and disappointing to say the least."

People have been posting before and after pictures, showing their housing items now have a blurry, low-rez texture. As usual, no response at all from the ESO devs.

------------

• SuddwrathSuddwrath Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The communication from the devs is absolutely inexcusable. One of the Community Managers apologized for the lack of communication back in November but basically nothing has changed since then.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Why don't they understand that communication is important... That's the key, people, that's the key!
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    damned if they do, damned if they dont.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    SaltySudd said:
    The communication from the devs is absolutely inexcusable. One of the Community Managers apologized for the lack of communication back in November but basically nothing has changed since then.
    Another one pulls a white tag, welcome to the forums, keep coming back.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I thought they mostly hung out on Reddit.  Most games it's either Reddit or Twitter, they seldom frequent their own official forums.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Why don't they understand that communication is important... That's the key, people, that's the key!
    In general no response is the way to go if one has no ability to or intention of changing anything.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I saw it's on Steam for $10 so it's cheap even to just check it out.
    Kyleran said:
    In general no response is the way to go if one has no ability to or intention of changing anything.

------
    Yes, it appears there is a policy at ZOS to not comment at all on any posts complaining about lag, server instability, rendering issues, etc. I think it's because the core problem is in the engine code, and that is too complex and expensive to fix.

------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    olepi said:
    Kyleran said:

------
    Yes, it appears there is a policy at ZOS to not comment at all on any posts complaining about lag, server instability, rendering issues, etc. I think it's because the core problem is in the engine code, and that is too complex and expensive to fix.
    @olepi ;     I cannot help but wonder whether you are aware of the private City of Heroes servers boasting close to 8 thousand players during the weekends when I saw you signature.

kitarad said:
    olepi said:
    Kyleran said:

------
    @olepi ;     I cannot help but wonder whether you are aware of the private City of Heroes servers boasting close to 8 thousand players during the weekends when I saw you signature.

----

Yes, I am playing on them. However, they are still unofficial and could disappear at any moment. So I still miss the official and permanent game.

------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ESO devs have always been silent but deadly :)

If you think getting a response from them about technical issue is bad just try to get feedback even on the PTS forum about ability, gear or crafting changes... crickets forever.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    olepi said:
    ESO is a fun game, I've been playing since closed beta. For a casual player, it works pretty well. For PvP and competitive raids, etc, however, it is getting more buggy and laggier with each release. The official forums are full of complaints about skills not firing, lag with insta-death from enemies you never saw, constant disconnects, long load times, etc.

And ESO devs never respond to any of these threads. As the posters get more and more frustrated, the threads end up being closed for not being "constructive". But the devs never respond in any meaningful way. The same thing happens on the test server. People test the new code and find all kinds of problems, and report them. The devs don't respond, and the bugs go into the live release anyway.

So just a word of warning. The game is fun as a casual player. But if you want competitive raiding, PvP, or just large teams, expect to have a lot of problems. And don't bother reporting them. ESO devs never respond or communicate.
    Point of note, developers rarely respond to forum threads. "Sometimes" they do but even in an older game like Lord of the Rings online they don't just jump into threads all the time. 

That is the Job of the Community Manager. If they aren't replying then that's on them.
    Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I was being very general, there is little or no communication from anyone at ZOS. Here's another snippet from the forums. In this case, the history of sales on the traders has disappeared, so nobody knows how much anything sells for. There's no universal auction house, so addons were written to track sales at the various guild traders. That's the only way to see what something sells for. But ZOS cut back how much you can track, and now seems to have cut it off completely.

And of course, no comment from ZOS.

Here's the snippet:

"That's basically what happened. And with the lack of communication from ZOS on this, and what they intend to do in the future, it could potentially look very bleak for trading addons."

Lack of communication from ZOS is basically a given now, for any kind of problem.

------------

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Maybe when companies get big enough they don't feel like they have to communicate.

That's how it feels at my job IRL.

In a lot of cases, the higher ups that get the positions do don't seem to deserve them really. They knew just enough tag words/examples to use to sound just competent enough to get the job and have no effing clue how things actually work or how best to fix them. I've seen that play out a dozen times right in front of me.

The Devs are never going to say, "We know about the problem, but we don't have any idea how to fix it, and we can't afford to create a new engine from scratch, but will you still please stick around and give us money?"

It's a shame though, and thankfully I haven't ran into any bugs yet and still enjoying my honeymoon time with ESO.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

The devs for ESO don't have to communicate, there are enough casual and new players that the financials are looking good.  And of course, forums tend to be weighted towards complainers.

Just a word of caution though, if you spend a lot of time building a character, prepare for it to be changed dramatically with little warning. And if you complain, don't expect a response.

------------