Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,013
    F2P mmo, given amazon game studios failure of delivering something so far I feel more excitement over my upcoming bathroom visit.
    LackingMMO
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,416
    Arterius said:
    As someone who alpha tested The New World I am not to interested since its being helmed by the same team. Unless I read something wrong. We shall see what it turns into.

However, I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history so this isn't for me anyway

Unlike you I actually think GOT is the most overrated media. 

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,881
    Arterius said:
    As someone who alpha tested The New World I am not to interested since its being helmed by the same team. Unless I read something wrong. We shall see what it turns into.

However, I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history so this isn't for me anyway

Not sure I'd give the most overrated but it's right on up there.

One of the under served IPs that would fit so perfectly into an MMORPG world is Raymond Feist's Riftwar saga.
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,156
    How do you people do it? Seriously, how do you get hyped for obvious trash every single time? I mean just this little announcement alone, one hand is not enough to count all the red flags.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,913
    edited July 10
    The game is based on a timeline before The Lord of the Rings is... So dont expect to visit the same locations as the current LOTRO has , its also action twitch based game .. and also IMO this is not gonna be an actual MMO but a lobby based game like Warframe for ex...  As its the same devs

heres is the link to last years announcement ..

And yes im invested in them
    Xarko
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,283
    Arterius said:

I don't disagree that GoT is overrated as well and this comes from someone who loves the books and reads them every couple of years. However, LotR is everywhere. Games, movies, soon to be TV show, and the books. To me LotR is one of the books that I like but I don't get the love that people have for them. Their are highlights to the books for sure but then their are moments of pure boring drivel that you have to get through to get to the next awesome set piece.

The movies though I can not even watch without falling asleep during. I have never tried to watch the extended cut but I can't imagine trying to do so. 
    I changed my profile picture, sorry

Proud supporter of Ship of Heroes, Fractured, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and Saga of Lucimia 

Currently playing: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 79
    F2P...not so hyped right now...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,210
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
    I also like minimized action bars but in the opposite direction.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

If I want a "thinking man's game" I'll play chess.
    I hate selecting a few skills out of a larger pool. It's one of the things I dislike about ESO. It seems ridiculous to me that I knew how to cast a magic missile yesterday or could use a sword skill then but I forgot it since I didn't "bring it with me". It's sort of an immersion crusher.
    Very similar to DnD's spell memorization idea, so we have to have it. ;)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,783
    Well Amazon does have all the money, but that doesn't mean they'll produce a good product. I want to be cautiously optimistic, buuuuuuut I can't help myself from feeling cynical. I hope that it turns out great, I really do.

On a brighter note, at least it will release before Star Citizen.
    ScorchienMargraveTacticalZombeh
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,304
    Sadly, I can't get excited yet.  Amazon doesn't have a bona fides yet.  Until they do, they are suspect (On any other front though... go Amazon)

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Sadly, I can't get excited yet.  Amazon doesn't have a bona fides yet.  Until they do, they are suspect (On any other front though... go Amazon)
    well the people behind the project are the same that made Warframe , if that matters to ya
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,571
    No details yet, but I wonder if this will be much closer to the Destiny, Warframe style of MMO than LOTRO.. which personally I have been waiting for a Sword and Sorcery type of MMOlite.  I just can't see Amazon trying to rekindle the Old School style MMO in today's market. It's "Amazon", they haven't made MMOs before so they are probably looking at games like Destiny, maybe even ESO and WoW, etc as examples of how to "MMO" for the current generation but we will see.

I'm digging the time period thing, sounds a lot like when SWTOR was announced and they told everyone it was many years before the Films. I mean we the KOTOR fans already knew.. but a whole bunch of folks were introduced to the old republic that way. Same thing here.

cool, but still meh not getting TOO excited yet, been burned too many times. Will watch closely

Torval
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,881
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
    I also like minimized action bars but in the opposite direction.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

If I want a "thinking man's game" I'll play chess.
    I hate selecting a few skills out of a larger pool. It's one of the things I dislike about ESO. It seems ridiculous to me that I knew how to cast a magic missile yesterday or could use a sword skill then but I forgot it since I didn't "bring it with me". It's sort of an immersion crusher.
    Very similar to DnD's spell memorization idea, so we have to have it. ;)
    You're implying D&D has some sort of explicit stranglehold on design. I disagree with both.

It isn't much like the original spell memorization system at all in my opinion. For one thing, high level wizards with a high intelligence could sport a lot of spells especially coupled with magic devices and gimmicks to echo extra copies of spells. That doesn't even consider the inumerable cantrips that could be cast at a much greater rate if not repeatedly (depending on the campaign because rules changed with every DM). For another they couldn't swap out what they had learnt on the fly. They had to cast or "unlearn" the spell and it took time.

With ESO it's more like you know what could do but are artificially limited to keep the game balanced. There isn't any organic way around that system. It doesn't ruin the game for me, but it really brings out the themepark ride feel.

Since it's not even a remotely similar mechanic to D&D I would say you haven't proven that designers are chasing D&D or it has some overarching influence.

Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• g0dl355g0dl355 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    LOTR is one of those IP's so well done they can house endless games, movies, shows, books, I could go on and on. Elder Scrolls and Star Wars are in that same league.

edited July 10
    klash2def said:
    No details yet, but I wonder if this will be much closer to the Destiny, Warframe style of MMO than LOTRO.. which personally I have been waiting for a Sword and Sorcery type of MMOlite.  I just can't see Amazon trying to rekindle the Old School style MMO in today's market. It's "Amazon", they haven't made MMOs before so they are probably looking at games like Destiny, maybe even ESO and WoW, etc as examples of how to "MMO" for the current generation but we will see.

I'm digging the time period thing, sounds a lot like when SWTOR was announced and they told everyone it was many years before the Films. I mean we the KOTOR fans already knew.. but a whole bunch of folks were introduced to the old republic that way. Same thing here.

cool, but still meh not getting TOO excited yet, been burned too many times. Will watch closely

Well the good news for then is the people behind it are the people behind Warframe and its is twitched based .. IMO it will be a lobby based game like Warframe/ Destiny/Anthem .. so you are in luck
    klash2def
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,303
    Great, now if someone would make a non-shitty Star Wars MMO, and maybe a better Star Trek MMO.
    Margrave

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    So what is the big difference between a MMORPG and just a MMOG?
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,303
    No roleplay?
    Torval

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,634
    Here we go again, a half assed game simply trying to cash in on a popular brand,maybe they should just use the Pokemon brand or something.
    Why can't they make their own brand,their own game/story/lore?Oh yeah this is not about making great games,this is about cashing in,money grabs with little effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,634
    edited July 10
    Depends who is making the games,some devs haven't a clue what they are making.Some devs think because a vehicle has a motor it is a car,has tires it is a car,has a radio it is a car,yep some devs are just clueless and the people they hire to be in charge,every bit as clueless.

Even within some studios,there are divisions,so it can hit n miss as to what division makes what game,that developer could go from AAA games all the way to mobile "CLASH of "games,you just never know.

Pretty SIMPLE really ,the keyword ROLEPLAYING versus just a game where a ton of people enter a game through a login server.Those same people could simply sit there and do nothing,hit auto dungeon finder and spend their entire time inside an instance,so not even  MMO gaming,yet that is what the game devs call their game,a MMO just because they all login through a login server.

Pretty sad when devs title their game after a login server but design it as a single player game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,107
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    No one can do F2P right, its not possible.
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Scorchien said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    well the people behind the project are the same that made Warframe , if that matters to ya
    You keep saying this...but I don't see where that is true? Athlon Games is owned by Leyou which became part owner of Digital Extremes (Warframe devs) in 2016. That doesn't make it the same team. Athlon is out of LA and DE is out of Canada.
    TacticalZombeh
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    As a person who played New World "beta" and witnessed the horrible cringe worthy path that Breakaway went this doesn't make me excited. It's like finding out that David Lynch got to do the Dune reboot.

At least this proves the Lumberyard tech demo theory I had about New World.
    Torval
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Panzerbeorne39Panzerbeorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Booooooo free to play. Fuck. I love me some LOTR but damn, feels like it will be monetized to fuck.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 446
    Alexa, buy me another loot box.
    IselinNyteWytchTorvalScotTacticalZombeh