Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    You know, my relationship with the Lord of the Rings games has been pretty iffy.

In my opinion, the only good Lord of the Rings games tend to be the ones that break continuity (Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War, the Third Age), while the more faithful ones tend to be bad to okay.

Is that a coincidence? Idk. Maybe developers just put more passion, and therefore quality, into games that they can take creative license with.
    I think it's more about execution. 

Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War/Return of the King all look and play amazing. They really do "look" like a Lord of the Rings world. 

Combat in Shadow of war/mordor is also leagues above other games.

But as an actual "Lord of the Rings" story? not great. They feel like some other story.

Sticking to the lore, sticking to the story is a completely different thing and has nothing to do with how they play, how they look.

Lord of the Rings Online is "ok" as far as the story and much better than most as far as lore, but they really dropped the ball on some key things. Dropped the ball on the end in Mordor, dropped the ball at helm's deep, dropped the ball in Moria. And it looks like crap as far as style, weapons, armor. 

Not sure if you finished Shadow of War, but it's all about the Rings. It's hard to discuss anything without spoilers, but it is about rings just not about the final journey to destroy the One Ring at the end of the Third Age.
    Regarding that game, I'm talking more about the whole taking over and making one's own army as well as creating some additional ring and then negotiating with hot Shelob for help.

Not to mention the whole merging with a ghost. Oh, there were ghosts in middle earth but the entire story seems contrived.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    People really need to stop referring to this as a new Lord of the Rings game.  It is not.  Full stop.  It's using the LOTR IP, emphasis on IP, that M-E Enterprises owns.   And takes places years before either The Hobbit or LOTR.

And never before made into a game.

There's only one remaining property that fits that description:

The Silmarillion

But nobody knows that name, so they're flinging around new "LOTR MMO".

Don't get your faces fixed; that isn't happening. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    You know, my relationship with the Lord of the Rings games has been pretty iffy.

In my opinion, the only good Lord of the Rings games tend to be the ones that break continuity (Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War, the Third Age), while the more faithful ones tend to be bad to okay.

Is that a coincidence? Idk. Maybe developers just put more passion, and therefore quality, into games that they can take creative license with.

Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War/Return of the King all look and play amazing. They really do "look" like a Lord of the Rings world. 

But as an actual "Lord of the Rings" story? not great. They feel like some other story.

Sticking to the lore, sticking to the story is a completely different thing and has nothing to do with how they play, how they look.

Lord of the Rings Online is "ok" as far as the story and much better than most as far as lore, but they really dropped the ball on some key things. Dropped the ball on the end in Mordor, dropped the ball at helm's deep, dropped the ball in Moria. And it looks like crap as far as style, weapons, armor. 

Not sure if you finished Shadow of War, but it's all about the Rings. It's hard to discuss anything without spoilers, but it is about rings just not about the final journey to destroy the One Ring at the end of the Third Age.

I just love the moment to moment gameplay. 

For me that's the big selling point. I find it more enjoyable to just go to an orc populated area and just fight, running away with my life when necessary and coming back to do more mayhem.
    TacticalZombeh

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited July 2019
    Good news, now all we need is a Netflix Witcher mmo to add to they're upcoming series. 
    Alomar

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:

Regarding that game, I'm talking more about the whole taking over and making one's own army as well as creating some additional ring and then negotiating with hot Shelob for help.

Not to mention the whole merging with a ghost. Oh, there were ghosts in middle earth but the entire story seems contrived.

SPOILERS AHEAD - the spoiler tag is broken and i can't make it work this post without editing the html so be warned!

The story is a bit different from my perspective. Talion, a Dunedain, saw his wife murdered in front of him and then was likewise executed. The wraith of Celebrimbor, an arguably evil elf who fabricated the rings of power, possessed Talion rather than let him die. Celebrimbor had a betrayal score to settle and used the mortal Talion's soul and body, in a pact, to carry out his vengeance.

By the end of Shadow of War Celebrimbor has deserted Talion to die. Talion refused to help Celebrimbor so the latter chose to kill Talion and possess Galadriel bestowing upon her the ring that previously kept Talion "alive". During these events Talion destroyed a wring wraith and took his place at the end.

The gathering of armies and other nefarious acts makes perfect sense because there are no heroes in this story. It's a tragedy in two parts that ends with a corrupted anti-hero destined to live in undeath until destoyed by Sauron, another ring bearer, or ultimately succumbs to the corruption of the ring which is what I think eventually happens.

It's an incredibly sad story.

It is but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel, at least to me, a bit shoehorned in.

Haven't gotten to the end of Shadow of War but I don't mind the spoiler. Very sad and surprising on Talion's end to be honest. 

But again, feels a bit contrived in order to dovetail into the world. I'd have preferred a completely new story that didn't interface with the lore but just took place in the world. Doesn't change my enjoyment of the game but I do roll my eyes from time to time. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I guess there's no avoiding the F2P part... Shame.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Depending how they do their F2P, I'll give it a chance just out of my much deserved love for the IP.

I hope they create it with the obvious fanboism the then Turbine/now SSG has for LOTRO.

If they do it will come through in the gameplay. If it's a shitty cash crab show tie-in then that'll come through in the gameplay too I'm guessing.

I'm hoping it works out great for once!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Lotro are a great game Neverwinter is not, to bad they didn't make a new forgotten Realms MMO instead.
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:

SPOILERS AHEAD - the spoiler tag is broken and i can't make it work this post without editing the html so be warned!

The story is a bit different from my perspective. Talion, a Dunedain, saw his wife murdered in front of him and then was likewise executed. The wraith of Celebrimbor, an arguably evil elf who fabricated the rings of power, possessed Talion rather than let him die. Celebrimbor had a betrayal score to settle and used the mortal Talion's soul and body, in a pact, to carry out his vengeance.

By the end of Shadow of War Celebrimbor has deserted Talion to die. Talion refused to help Celebrimbor so the latter chose to kill Talion and possess Galadriel bestowing upon her the ring that previously kept Talion "alive". During these events Talion destroyed a wring wraith and took his place at the end.

The gathering of armies and other nefarious acts makes perfect sense because there are no heroes in this story. It's a tragedy in two parts that ends with a corrupted anti-hero destined to live in undeath until destoyed by Sauron, another ring bearer, or ultimately succumbs to the corruption of the ring which is what I think eventually happens.

It's an incredibly sad story.

It is but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel, at least to me, a bit shoehorned in.

Haven't gotten to the end of Shadow of War but I don't mind the spoiler. Very sad and surprising on Talion's end to be honest. 

But again, feels a bit contrived in order to dovetail into the world. I'd have preferred a completely new story that didn't interface with the lore but just took place in the world. Doesn't change my enjoyment of the game but I do roll my eyes from time to time. 

I agree with you for a large part. I didn't actually finish it myself. My son did on PS4 and I watched a lot of the end game play. I didn't enjoy building the armies and the end game activities. I enjoyed the combat and laying waste to the hordes of Sauron. That's pretty much what I did in both games until I got tired of it.

I did like the story, up to a point, but would rather have had something else. I just don't feel like there is much room in Middle-earth for flexibility to be honest. It's not like Star Wars, Star Trek, or other settings that are much more open ended. It doesn't lend itself well to interpretation without feeling awkward. I liked both games but the narrative does feel awkwardly pressed into place in order to not disrupt the rest of the storyline.
    You see, I don't think they need interpretation.

The events in the Hobbit or Lord of the rings can act as sign posts, as story anchors. The closer your characters get to those anchors the closer the characters have to adhere to what is going on there. But then you move them away from those events. Those events instead create ripples that carry the characters forward but they don't need to change.

Whenever the characters come into contact with a part of the Lord of the Rings stories, like a major event, they adhere to how those events unfold.

You have your family in Rohan and they suddenly learn that the town (or whatever it is, Hold?) will be moving to Helm's Deep because it will be safer there. The mother is concerned for their son who is away on a hunting trip. The father and Eldest Daughter go after the brother and send the others on to Helm's Deep.

What happens to the Father and Daughter can be more loose but what happens to the Mother and the rest of the family adheres more to what happens in the books.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    holding my breath for this one! (lays on floor dead)
    Sovrath

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    F2P mmo, given amazon game studios failure of delivering something so far I feel more excitement over my upcoming bathroom visit.
    LackingMMO
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Arterius said:
    As someone who alpha tested The New World I am not to interested since its being helmed by the same team. Unless I read something wrong. We shall see what it turns into.

However, I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history so this isn't for me anyway

Unlike you I actually think GOT is the most overrated media. 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    How do you people do it? Seriously, how do you get hyped for obvious trash every single time? I mean just this little announcement alone, one hand is not enough to count all the red flags.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2019
    The game is based on a timeline before The Lord of the Rings is... So dont expect to visit the same locations as the current LOTRO has , its also action twitch based game .. and also IMO this is not gonna be an actual MMO but a lobby based game like Warframe for ex...  As its the same devs

heres is the link to last years announcement ..

And yes im invested in them
    Xarko
  • LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 81
    F2P...not so hyped right now...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
    I also like minimized action bars but in the opposite direction.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

If I want a "thinking man's game" I'll play chess.
    I hate selecting a few skills out of a larger pool. It's one of the things I dislike about ESO. It seems ridiculous to me that I knew how to cast a magic missile yesterday or could use a sword skill then but I forgot it since I didn't "bring it with me". It's sort of an immersion crusher.
    Very similar to DnD's spell memorization idea, so we have to have it. ;)
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Well Amazon does have all the money, but that doesn't mean they'll produce a good product. I want to be cautiously optimistic, buuuuuuut I can't help myself from feeling cynical. I hope that it turns out great, I really do.

On a brighter note, at least it will release before Star Citizen.
    ScorchienMargraveTacticalZombeh
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Sadly, I can't get excited yet.  Amazon doesn't have a bona fides yet.  Until they do, they are suspect (On any other front though... go Amazon)

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Sadly, I can't get excited yet.  Amazon doesn't have a bona fides yet.  Until they do, they are suspect (On any other front though... go Amazon)
    well the people behind the project are the same that made Warframe , if that matters to ya
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    No details yet, but I wonder if this will be much closer to the Destiny, Warframe style of MMO than LOTRO.. which personally I have been waiting for a Sword and Sorcery type of MMOlite.  I just can't see Amazon trying to rekindle the Old School style MMO in today's market. It's "Amazon", they haven't made MMOs before so they are probably looking at games like Destiny, maybe even ESO and WoW, etc as examples of how to "MMO" for the current generation but we will see.

I'm digging the time period thing, sounds a lot like when SWTOR was announced and they told everyone it was many years before the Films. I mean we the KOTOR fans already knew.. but a whole bunch of folks were introduced to the old republic that way. Same thing here.

cool, but still meh not getting TOO excited yet, been burned too many times. Will watch closely

[Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited July 2019
    klash2def said:
    No details yet, but I wonder if this will be much closer to the Destiny, Warframe style of MMO than LOTRO.. which personally I have been waiting for a Sword and Sorcery type of MMOlite.  I just can't see Amazon trying to rekindle the Old School style MMO in today's market. It's "Amazon", they haven't made MMOs before so they are probably looking at games like Destiny, maybe even ESO and WoW, etc as examples of how to "MMO" for the current generation but we will see.

I'm digging the time period thing, sounds a lot like when SWTOR was announced and they told everyone it was many years before the Films. I mean we the KOTOR fans already knew.. but a whole bunch of folks were introduced to the old republic that way. Same thing here.

cool, but still meh not getting TOO excited yet, been burned too many times. Will watch closely

Well the good news for then is the people behind it are the people behind Warframe and its is twitched based .. IMO it will be a lobby based game like Warframe/ Destiny/Anthem .. so you are in luck
    klash2def
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Great, now if someone would make a non-shitty Star Wars MMO, and maybe a better Star Trek MMO.
    Margrave
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    So what is the big difference between a MMORPG and just a MMOG?