Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    ....is about time!!!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Kyleran said:
    I'll stay optimistic. Console doesn't always mean dumbed down. FFXIV and ESO were always planned as console MMOs after all...
    Whoa, I think perhaps your two examples just disproved your first point.

:dizzy:

Come on, even if you don't like them, they are full featured MMOs...
    TacticalZombeh
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Those of you singing Lotro's death warrant: Don't you think you might be being a bit premature? This game is far from release and it is supposed to be a threat? LOL!
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I'd bet on mobile cash grab to capitalize on new TV series.

It's the studio's first/second game so it'll be a miracle if it won't suck badly.

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:

It's the studio's first/second game so it'll be a miracle if it won't suck badly.
    Didn't even read the first sentence.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 
    Oh absolutely!!!!!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I honestly hope they pull it off.  I had high hopes for Amazon Studios given the endless supply of resources and Amazon's server capacity but so far; not impressed with what I have seen.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Seems obvious that it will tie into the Amazon LOTR TV series.

I can absolutely picture Bezos as Sauron.
    If the game comes out in five years the TV series could well be over.
    TacticalZombeh
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    3dom said:

You could well be right, lot of wishful thinking going on this thread so far.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Wake me in 5 years, and we'll see can start the discussions and estimations to see how far in the future this game will actually be.  Me, I'm not waiting for anything, I'm doing now.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ShammFrammShammFramm Newbie CommonPosts: 19
    Amazon doing "da Blizz", collaborating with a chinese dev to make an F2P shit game skinned over with gloss from your favorite IP. The GREED is way too strong atm in this industry and the carrot these asian micro-transaction developers are waving in front of studios is way too enticing (or the other way around, not sure who is initiating these terrible ideas).
  • RoyalValorRoyalValor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    So many people forgetting that Amazon Game Studios are still making New World... which I got an alpha invite wasn't a bad game for not being my genre
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited July 2019
    It will be heavily integrated into Twitch, probably. It will probably have extra sweet deals for streamers, so popular it shall be. But being good on the other hand, I don't know. I hope it is.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    Amazon Game Studios - can they finally do a game?
    Considering they've shown less success (zero?) than the 10 person NMS team, looks doubtful.

Partnering with the people who brought us other AA F2P titles with a focus on Gaming as a Service does not generate a warm fuzzy feeling either.

Finally, I'm old enough to say...enough with the Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth franchises, I weary of seeing the same IPs (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) the past 50 plus years.

I know, let's make another Spiderman movie.....great idea...just great...

Maybe they are right,  there are no new ideas after all.

:# 

[Deleted User]TacticalZombehlaserit

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    So, here is my prediction. This is going to be an instanced scenario game. Something Twitch friendly.

The Battle of Helm's Deep, The Battle of Minas Tirith, and the Battle of the Black Gate - horde mode/tower defense.

The Mines of Moria - escape.

Etc.
    edited July 2019
    One thing is sure, their Lumberyard engine is amazing and great for MMOs.
    At least it will be well done.

But then... free to play... hum... hopefully there will be a premium mode with a subscription as good as the one in ESO.

And about Amazon doing a game - that survival MMO they are making looks quite good imho.
    Any evidence for that? Has anything launched on Lumberyard that has succeeded? Anything at all?

The current evidence would suggest that Lumberyard isn't great. And it is built on the Crysis engine, which also wasn't great.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:
    I'll stay optimistic. Console doesn't always mean dumbed down. FFXIV and ESO were always planned as console MMOs after all...
    Whoa, I think perhaps your two examples just disproved your first point.

:dizzy:

Come on, even if you don't like them, they are full featured MMOs...
    I was just poking a bit of fun at fans of both, almost added "just kidding"

Haven't played ESO since the first month, never tried FFXIV, can't attest to how it is.

That said, I clearly disliked its control scheme and a few other designs clearly meant for consoles,  so I'm pretty sure this game will follow a similar road.

Unlike Sovarth, I am no fan of action combat or controllers in general, if I want action I'll take up fencing.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    Amazon Game Studios - can they finally do a game?
    Considering they've shown less success (zero?) than the 10 person NMS team, looks doubtful.

Partnering with the people who brought us other AA F2P titles with a focus on Gaming as a Service does not generate a warm fuzzy feeling either.

Finally, I'm old enough to say...enough with the Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth franchises, I weary of seeing the same IPs (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) the past 50 plus years.

I know, let's make another Spiderman movie.....great idea...just great...

Maybe they are right,  there are no new ideas after all.

:# 

I would like to see other fantasy IPs get a look in on video games.

Somehow we've gone this long without a single good Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire game (we've had a few bad ones).

The Stormlight Archive

Mistborn

The Powder Mage Trilogy

The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    MendelKyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    One thing is sure, their Lumberyard engine is amazing and great for MMOs.
    At least it will be well done.

But then... free to play... hum... hopefully there will be a premium mode with a subscription as good as the one in ESO.

And about Amazon doing a game - that survival MMO they are making, 'New World', looks quite good imho, and uses an interesting setting too.
    New world is not an mmo, despite what they claim.  Once it comes out or you get a chance to play it you'll see for yourself.  

There are no active skills or spells, only LMB and RMB for combat.

There are no dungeons or mobs camps or any PvE outside of overworld enemies whatsoever. 

The focus is on building a base and defending it from other players.

It is ARK in a different setting.
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Leyou Technologies purchased Digital extremes / Warframe right? so whats the bet that this LoTR game will be similar to this, i like Warframe its very good and i could see legolas/elves running and jumping around like the frames but this would leave alot to be desired about other races, i would have a guess they would use the same tech that warframe runs on.....maybe we can have DWARFRAME finally!
    I can see it being squad based tactics for content similar to warframe as well as similar missions types.
    You know, my relationship with the Lord of the Rings games has been pretty iffy.

In my opinion, the only good Lord of the Rings games tend to be the ones that break continuity (Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War, the Third Age), while the more faithful ones tend to be bad to okay.

Is that a coincidence? Idk. Maybe developers just put more passion, and therefore quality, into games that they can take creative license with.
    Aeander said:
    So, here is my prediction. This is going to be an instanced scenario game. Something Twitch friendly.

The Battle of Helm's Deep, The Battle of Minas Tirith, and the Battle of the Black Gate - horde mode/tower defense.

The Mines of Moria - escape.

Etc.
    I don't think it will be like that. I'd predict it's going to be set in the same era as the new TV series.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I'm down as long as free to play means they are taking the successful strategy of fortnite and league and only selling cosmetics.....once I seen people from Rift are working on it my hope for that dropped like a rock....this will be a p2w shit fest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Aeander said:
    You know, my relationship with the Lord of the Rings games has been pretty iffy.

In my opinion, the only good Lord of the Rings games tend to be the ones that break continuity (Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War, the Third Age), while the more faithful ones tend to be bad to okay.

Is that a coincidence? Idk. Maybe developers just put more passion, and therefore quality, into games that they can take creative license with.
    I think it's more about execution. 

Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War/Return of the King all look and play amazing. They really do "look" like a Lord of the Rings world. 

Combat in Shadow of war/mordor is also leagues above other games.

But as an actual "Lord of the Rings" story? not great. They feel like some other story.

Sticking to the lore, sticking to the story is a completely different thing and has nothing to do with how they play, how they look.

Lord of the Rings Online is "ok" as far as the story and much better than most as far as lore, but they really dropped the ball on some key things. Dropped the ball on the end in Mordor, dropped the ball at helm's deep, dropped the ball in Moria. And it looks like crap as far as style, weapons, armor. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo