Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,956
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 
    Runescape? Is the Runescape of today a completely different game than the one I played in my childhood? Because that wasn't a thinking man's anything. That was letting dice rolls happen with little input from the player ad nauseum with disgusting grind walls on everything. It was about as fun and engaging as playiny with my calculator at my desk job, and the only good thing about the game was its quests.

Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
    I also like minimized action bars but in the opposite direction.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

If I want a "thinking man's game" I'll play chess.
    Don't get me wrong, there is a place for both.

We don't really have "thinking man's MMOs" anymore. We have plenty of action brawlers, and few of them design content or translate MMO classes effectively enough to accomodate that.
    I don't really look at the other types as "thinking games." More that they are about "the character" as opposed to the player.

So, like a Dungeons & Dragons character. Fighting, activities, etc are more about a character's stats and less about the player.

I think that can be fun but then we get players who don't understand that and start whining about "rng" when they don't realize they are playing an "rng" game.
    In terms of what I want, Blade and Soul gets it closest to correct these days. Fantastic action combat with a fair amount of customization depth on a small hotbar. Shame the PvE side of the game is pretty damn dull.
    Sovrath
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Arterius said:
    I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history
    Blasphemy!
    KyleranGutlardTacticalZombeh
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,514
    edited July 10
    I'll stay optimistic. Console doesn't always mean dumbed down. FFXIV and ESO were always planned as console MMOs after all...
    Whoa, I think perhaps your two examples just disproved your first point.

:dizzy:

Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for both.

We don't really have "thinking man's MMOs" anymore. We have plenty of action brawlers, and few of them design content or translate MMO classes effectively enough to accomodate that.

Sure we do, its called EVE, but few enjoy all of the speadsheeting.

:D
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Neanderthals...

"Grog hit enemy with stick, hurrgh!'

As opposed to

"All lasers focus fire on Caldari Dreadnought, stay aligned and be ready to warp out if shields drop below 20%"

Yeah....

Chess....computers play it, enough said.

;)

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    ....is about time!!!
    Kyleran said:
    I'll stay optimistic. Console doesn't always mean dumbed down. FFXIV and ESO were always planned as console MMOs after all...

Come on, even if you don't like them, they are full featured MMOs...
    TacticalZombeh
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Those of you singing Lotro's death warrant: Don't you think you might be being a bit premature? This game is far from release and it is supposed to be a threat? LOL!
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 828
    I'd bet on mobile cash grab to capitalize on new TV series.

It's the studio's first/second game so it'll be a miracle if it won't suck badly.

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:

It's the studio's first/second game so it'll be a miracle if it won't suck badly.
    Didn't even read the first sentence.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,463
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 
    Oh absolutely!!!!!

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 453
    I honestly hope they pull it off.  I had high hopes for Amazon Studios given the endless supply of resources and Amazon's server capacity but so far; not impressed with what I have seen.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,199
    Seems obvious that it will tie into the Amazon LOTR TV series.

I can absolutely picture Bezos as Sauron.
    If the game comes out in five years the TV series could well be over.
    TacticalZombeh

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,199
    3dom said:

You could well be right, lot of wishful thinking going on this thread so far.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,871
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

I hate selecting a few skills out of a larger pool. It's one of the things I dislike about ESO. It seems ridiculous to me that I knew how to cast a magic missile yesterday or could use a sword skill then but I forgot it since I didn't "bring it with me". It's sort of an immersion crusher.
    Aeanderblueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,421
    Wake me in 5 years, and we'll see can start the discussions and estimations to see how far in the future this game will actually be.  Me, I'm not waiting for anything, I'm doing now.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ShammFrammShammFramm Newbie CommonPosts: 19
    Amazon doing "da Blizz", collaborating with a chinese dev to make an F2P shit game skinned over with gloss from your favorite IP. The GREED is way too strong atm in this industry and the carrot these asian micro-transaction developers are waving in front of studios is way too enticing (or the other way around, not sure who is initiating these terrible ideas).
  • RoyalValorRoyalValor Member UncommonPosts: 22
    So many people forgetting that Amazon Game Studios are still making New World... which I got an alpha invite wasn't a bad game for not being my genre
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited July 10
    It will be heavily integrated into Twitch, probably. It will probably have extra sweet deals for streamers, so popular it shall be. But being good on the other hand, I don't know. I hope it is.
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    Amazon Game Studios - can they finally do a game?
    Considering they've shown less success (zero?) than the 10 person NMS team, looks doubtful.

Partnering with the people who brought us other AA F2P titles with a focus on Gaming as a Service does not generate a warm fuzzy feeling either.

Finally, I'm old enough to say...enough with the Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth franchises, I weary of seeing the same IPs (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) the past 50 plus years.

I know, let's make another Spiderman movie.....great idea...just great...

Maybe they are right,  there are no new ideas after all.

:# 

Torvalblueturtle13TacticalZombehlaserit

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

So, here is my prediction. This is going to be an instanced scenario game. Something Twitch friendly.

The Battle of Helm's Deep, The Battle of Minas Tirith, and the Battle of the Black Gate - horde mode/tower defense.

The Mines of Moria - escape.

Etc.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,066
    edited July 10
    One thing is sure, their Lumberyard engine is amazing and great for MMOs.
    At least it will be well done.

But then... free to play... hum... hopefully there will be a premium mode with a subscription as good as the one in ESO.

And about Amazon doing a game - that survival MMO they are making, 'New World', looks quite good imho, and uses an interesting setting too.
    TorvalSteelhelmgervaise1Rovn
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

edited July 10

But then... free to play... hum... hopefully there will be a premium mode with a subscription as good as the one in ESO.

And about Amazon doing a game - that survival MMO they are making looks quite good imho.
    Any evidence for that? Has anything launched on Lumberyard that has succeeded? Anything at all?

The current evidence would suggest that Lumberyard isn't great. And it is built on the Crysis engine, which also wasn't great.
    Kyleran said:

Come on, even if you don't like them, they are full featured MMOs...
    I was just poking a bit of fun at fans of both, almost added "just kidding"

Haven't played ESO since the first month, never tried FFXIV, can't attest to how it is.

That said, I clearly disliked its control scheme and a few other designs clearly meant for consoles,  so I'm pretty sure this game will follow a similar road.

Unlike Sovarth, I am no fan of action combat or controllers in general, if I want action I'll take up fencing.

;)

Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    Amazon Game Studios - can they finally do a game?
    Considering they've shown less success (zero?) than the 10 person NMS team, looks doubtful.

Partnering with the people who brought us other AA F2P titles with a focus on Gaming as a Service does not generate a warm fuzzy feeling either.

Finally, I'm old enough to say...enough with the Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth franchises, I weary of seeing the same IPs (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) the past 50 plus years.

I know, let's make another Spiderman movie.....great idea...just great...

Maybe they are right,  there are no new ideas after all.

:# 

I would like to see other fantasy IPs get a look in on video games.

Somehow we've gone this long without a single good Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire game (we've had a few bad ones).

The Stormlight Archive

Mistborn

The Powder Mage Trilogy

The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    MendelKyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,899

And about Amazon doing a game - that survival MMO they are making, 'New World', looks quite good imho, and uses an interesting setting too.
    New world is not an mmo, despite what they claim.  Once it comes out or you get a chance to play it you'll see for yourself.  

There are no active skills or spells, only LMB and RMB for combat.

There are no dungeons or mobs camps or any PvE outside of overworld enemies whatsoever. 

The focus is on building a base and defending it from other players.

It is ARK in a different setting.
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Leyou Technologies purchased Digital extremes / Warframe right? so whats the bet that this LoTR game will be similar to this, i like Warframe its very good and i could see legolas/elves running and jumping around like the frames but this would leave alot to be desired about other races, i would have a guess they would use the same tech that warframe runs on.....maybe we can have DWARFRAME finally!
    I can see it being squad based tactics for content similar to warframe as well as similar missions types.