Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Review - MMORPG.com

On the 28th of June, early access for FFXIV: Shadowbringers went live, consequently I lost a lot of time as I dove head first into the latest expansion for FFXIV. As I give my insight this week on a beautiful expansion, please share below your favorite bits of the expansion for us all to enjoy!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    edited July 2019
    I stopped playing this during the first expansion even though I bought the first 2 expansions. I really regret not keeping up with the game. Loved gathering, and crafting was okay, but it was just too hard for me to get fun groups to do the instances =/. One of my favorite RPGs but i wont be trying this expansion. Would take me too much time to catch up.
    infomatz
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    I've gone through the MSQ and this is by FAR the best that FF14 has been.

The story is incredible but one of the best things it does is actually give depth to the Ascians.

Throughout all of ARR, HW and ST they were one-note, cliche villains that you just wanted to see gone. But, now, in Shadowbringers you have understanding and sympathy for them.

Healer balance is a bit concerning right now but other than that I have no complaints about this expansion.
    JeffSpicoliwingoodCelcius
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I've been trying to go through all the Stormblood content to get to this expansion, but all the people I've talked to seem to be liking it a lot. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited July 2019
    Have had a long on/off again relationship with this game. With this new expansion it is full on, loving it.

As far as this wtf...."The servers have been plagued with crashing, and DDoS attacks throughout the early access and into full release"

Completely exaggerated in the review. Maybe his server was like this, but to say "the servers", I don't think so. I have been logged in every day for significant periods of time and had one day since head start with bad server issues and it was a DDoS attack. This is the only day I have seen 3000 people in the queue because they limited logins due to the attack. Every other day at most in the 30's and it delays login by about 15 seconds. I am on Zalera which is not a low pop server.
    [Deleted User]Celciuskitarad
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Viper482 said:
    Have had a long on/off again relationship with this game. With this new expansion it is full on, loving it.

As far as this wtf...."The servers have been plagued with crashing, and DDoS attacks throughout the early access and into full release"

Completely exaggerated in the review. Maybe his server was like this, but to say "the servers", I don't think so. I have been logged in every day for significant periods of time and had one day since head start with bad server issues and it was a DDoS attack. This is the only day I have seen 3000 people in the queue because they limited logins due to the attack. Every other day at most in the 30's and it delays login by about 15 seconds. I am on Zalera which is not a low pop server.
    Same with our server, I'm on Sargatanas which isn't one of the extremely high pop servers but it isn't a low pop server either, and our queues have been in the 30's and it takes 5 to 10 seconds to get in. 

I got d/c one time maybe, and I still don't know if that was my internet that caused it. 
    Viper482
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    You've had this review up to long, whats wrong not enough death threats yet? Bahaha :P
    [Deleted User]Rich84
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Viper482 said:

Same with our server, I'm on Sargatanas which isn't one of the extremely high pop servers but it isn't a low pop server either, and our queues have been in the 30's and it takes 5 to 10 seconds to get in. 

I got d/c one time maybe, and I still don't know if that was my internet that caused it. 
    I'm on a high pop server (Leviathan) highest queue i had was 2000 on launch day. Otherwise its between 20 and 30 aside from 3-4 PM where its 200.
    Viper482
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154

jj7009 said:

Viper482 said:

I'm on a high pop server (Leviathan) highest queue i had was 2000 on launch day. Otherwise its between 20 and 30 aside from 3-4 PM where its 200.

Same here, never had a problem but that one morning.

Just a though as well, Chris meeds to read up on how DDOS attacks actually work, the purpose of them, and how to mitigate them before writing a paragraph of his opinion of what can be done, or done in fancy 2019. End users thoughts/opinions are usually so far from what the tech is actually capable of.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited July 2019
    While the story is good (amazing is a stretch) it has a heavy undertone on society as it is viewed today. Eulmore is a fake safe space much like the online society most of us live in, while the rest of the world lives on and deals with their issues.

There is story writing pitfalls, things that are happening and being explained that don't match with what the original game was explaining. All that was thrown out by a simple phrase of "it doesn't work like we thought". That's not a great story spin, that's lazy writing. So as a whole to what it contributes to the main story line it just does a 180 and gets weird. Not to mention the Minfilla arc expanded which dives deeper into pure depression. The Ascians are further explained as well as their intentions. It ties into things and leaves others unexplained and that might be by design but it feels loose.

Functionally it added a lot of quality of life improvements to previous classes, trimming the fat of extra skills that seemed useless to queue in to begin with. It seems so much more logical in the rotations as you battle. The option to play the normal 4 player dungeons with the AI is a great addition for those that want to feel engaged with the story characters as well as avoid the pitfalls of other players. It felt natural almost like playing a standalone FF game partying with Thancred and others as you delve into the depths of the dungeon to take out the light wardens. Also the FATE reward system is really help engaging players to do them. I rarely found a FATE that wasn't already in progress as I traveled around doing my quests.

It's a solid expansion and definitely above the rest in terms of value per features. I'm interested and excited how each patch will expand what is already the major foundation.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I like this game, but can't get past the slow combat. I stopped playing before first expansion. I would like to get back into it, but still on the fence. There is so much content i feel i will be overwhelmed.
    sumdumguy1Buschkatze
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    jitter77 said:
    I like this game, but can't get past the slow combat. I stopped playing before first expansion. I would like to get back into it, but still on the fence. There is so much content i feel i will be overwhelmed.
    Your last sentence ... isn't it a good problem to have?
    wingood
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    I read your friend's name as Geritol (had really look at it to notice I was wrong). Now that's punny!
    I wonder if people complain about that "pun" stuff here as much as they always did in WoW with all of the Pop culture references?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    My servers were highly stable, I think there 1 maby 2 days for 1-2hrs where mass server dcs were happening and it was when they were reporting the ddos. outside that it has been highly stable with ques between 20 and 200.

Overall score I agree with and would be what I give the game.

Story is arguably the best mmo story line that has existed to this date in any mmo and honestly rivals if not beats some of the offline big rpg titles. And World Design/Music in this expansion is exceptional. But the rest of the game is more or less the same as it has been. Same problems, same strengths.

As for comments on combat, it is slow at lower levels. But at higher levels when factoring in off gcds it is maby 1-1.5 secs between actions depending on your class. And have to remember A Realm Reborn probably has the worst combat (Due to lower levels and limited abilities) and the worst storyline in the whole game. Honestly they need to revise ARR alot, the new player experience suffers due to it.

For anyone thinking about playing this game. You need to realize the following things:
    1. Story is important and a major focus of this game. By the devs own admission It is a FF RPG game first and a mmo second. If you hate story based games there is a good chance you will hate ffxiv... this game has over 100hrs of storyline content from ARR to just get to the current expansion. And the stories in each expansion feed off each other so if you skip you will be missing references throughout the whole game.
    2. The game is extremely alt unfriendly. It is designed to be played on 1 character. With that said you can do everything in the game. All jobs/crafts/ect on 1 character. So the $14.99 sub tier is honestly not required to get the most out of the game unless you want to Role Play or run multiple upper end raids a week. You can do the entree lvl one which is cheaper but limits you to 1 character a server.
    3. Endgame is not the pure focus of the game. If you only want to do top tier progression endgame, you WILL RUN OUT OF CONTENT. They release major content patches on a 3-4 month cycle with new raid tiers every 6-8 months. Once you have the raid on farm you can clear the weeks progression content in 2-3 days. (not much different then WoW honestly)
    4. The game has a very Japanese feel to it (for obvious reasons). If you absolutely cannot stand any anime at all or do not like any FF aesthetics. This will probably not be the game for you.
    5. The game is highly populated at all level ranges, and due to the design of it you can find groups for dungeons/raids at all levels of the game from lvl 1 up to 80 in 30secs to 15mins depending on job role. Overall population is exploding lately with the game having a huge amount of growth population wise. Tons of new player sprouts everywhere with multiple regions expanding server capacity and adding new servers entirely.
    6. There is a free trial use it. Watch some youtube videos of upper end 24 man Raids/Savage raids/Extreme Tier Primal Fights/Ultimate Tier raiding and get a feel for the game at all its levels. I know so many ppl who say they would never play a slow paced weeb game like this who after playing it unsubbed from WoW. I know people who tried this game and absolutely despise every part of it... Example Lazypeon. Remember like all non action mmos... the first dungeon around lvl 10 when it is a pure tank and spank with everyone having maby 3-4 abilities on a 2.5sec cooldown is not representative of what it is like 70 levels higher doing endgame content.
    Viper482Rich84RidelynninfomatzwingoodBuschkatze
  • SlarakSlarak Newbie CommonPosts: 4

Xatsh said:

My servers were highly stable, I think there 1 maby 2 days for 1-2hrs where mass server dcs were happening and it was when they were reporting the ddos. outside that it has been highly stable with ques between 20 and 200.

Story is arguably the best mmo story line that has existed to this date in any mmo and honestly rivals if not beats some of the offline big rpg titles. And World Design/Music in this expansion is exceptional. But the rest of the game is more or less the same as it has been. Same problems, same strengths.

As for comments on combat, it is slow at lower levels. But at higher levels when factoring in off gcds it is maby 1-1.5 secs between actions depending on your class. And have to remember A Realm Reborn probably has the worst combat (Due to lower levels and limited abilities) and the worst storyline in the whole game. Honestly they need to revise ARR alot, the new player experience suffers due to it.

For anyone thinking about playing this game. You need to realize the following things:
    1. Story is important and a major focus of this game. By the devs own admission It is a FF RPG game first and a mmo second. If you hate story based games there is a good chance you will hate ffxiv... this game has over 100hrs of storyline content from ARR to just get to the current expansion. And the stories in each expansion feed off each other so if you skip you will be missing references throughout the whole game.
    2. The game is extremely alt unfriendly. It is designed to be played on 1 character. With that said you can do everything in the game. All jobs/crafts/ect on 1 character. So the $14.99 sub tier is honestly not required to get the most out of the game unless you want to Role Play or run multiple upper end raids a week. You can do the entree lvl one which is cheaper but limits you to 1 character a server.
    3. Endgame is not the pure focus of the game. If you only want to do top tier progression endgame, you WILL RUN OUT OF CONTENT. They release major content patches on a 3-4 month cycle with new raid tiers every 6-8 months. Once you have the raid on farm you can clear the weeks progression content in 2-3 days. (not much different then WoW honestly)
    4. The game has a very Japanese feel to it (for obvious reasons). If you absolutely cannot stand any anime at all or do not like any FF aesthetics. This will probably not be the game for you.
    5. The game is highly populated at all level ranges, and due to the design of it you can find groups for dungeons/raids at all levels of the game from lvl 1 up to 80 in 30secs to 15mins depending on job role. Overall population is exploding lately with the game having a huge amount of growth population wise. Tons of new player sprouts everywhere with multiple regions expanding server capacity and adding new servers entirely.
    6. There is a free trial use it. Watch some youtube videos of upper end 24 man Raids/Savage raids/Extreme Tier Primal Fights/Ultimate Tier raiding and get a feel for the game at all its levels. I know so many ppl who say they would never play a slow paced weeb game like this who after playing it unsubbed from WoW. I know people who tried this game and absolutely despise every part of it... Example Lazypeon. Remember like all non action mmos... the first dungeon around lvl 10 when it is a pure tank and spank with everyone having maby 3-4 abilities on a 2.5sec cooldown is not representative of what it is like 70 levels higher doing endgame content.

This guy right here gets it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Viper482 said:

On Moogle EU I have a 1500+ queue every single evening and a 150 one on wednesdaymorning 10:00. So, definitely not exagerated. Guess it depends on the server.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,984

Slarak said:

Xatsh said:

This guy right here gets it.

Welcome to our forums! :)
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Also not to call out the author but basing the launch number or having it be a factor in the number rating of an mmo on launch week is very unfair and not realistic.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I couldn't get into BDO, due to lack of story, so hearing that this whole game is based around a story is nice. I'll put this on deck after ESO....ha

I liked the looks of it when I tried it a while back, but couldn't get into it with what was available at the time.

Gut Out!
    Buschkatze

What, me worry?

• MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited July 2019

black9ice said:

jj7009 said:

Viper482 said:

Same here, never had a problem but that one morning.

Just a though as well, Chris meeds to read up on how DDOS attacks actually work, the purpose of them, and how to mitigate them before writing a paragraph of his opinion of what can be done, or done in fancy 2019. End users thoughts/opinions are usually so far from what the tech is actually capable of.

Yes, I need to read up on how DDoS works, as I obviously don't know. If you're going to troll someone, you might want to ensure your spellchecker works first.

The DDoS attacks lasted roughly an hour, but had lasting impacts on performance. Once you crash the servers due to these attacks, thousands of people hammer the login server upon restarting. Do you know what happens then? It couldn't possibly be akin to a DDoS could it?

Simple fact, from June 28th when the servers launched, all the way through final launch on July 2nd, the servers have been maxed on capacity. They've crashed, or been brought down for emergency maintenance several times, completely separate from the DDoS attack which started on the 28th of June.

One must only do a simple google search to see how bad these issues were for people. If you weren't affected, great! Unfortunately a lot of players were. I personally only had one queue that forced me to wait for over an hour. Unfortunately my FC members weren't so lucky. Yes, there were queues of over 3,500, and yes they took upwards of two hours to work through.

The simple fact is with the server technology we have today this shouldn't be an issue. Capacity should not be an issue. If you missed that, you may want to go back and read the post again.

As far as Death Threats go, are you okay? What does this post being up for so long have to do with anything related to Death Threats? I've not taken a single one of my reviews or columns down. I frankly don't see where you're going other than being a troll.

Again, I'm very glad for those of you who've had no issues logging in. July 2nd is a far cry from June 28th through the entire early access. I'm very happy you're able to play, as well as I was able to play. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for a lot of players.

jj7009 said:
    Also not to call out the author but basing the launch number or having it be a factor in the number rating of an mmo on launch week is very unfair and not realistic.
    While It's marked as a CON, truly haven't factored that into the score. It's a Con because it's something they've still not resolved. Server capacity has been an ongoing issue from the start. It's something I, along with many others, wish they'd resolve. Every new expansion, and every new update that brings back players, servers get hammered and we get queues. Unfortunately, this launch seemed worse than previous ones. I don't think I've ever seen a queue over over 3,500 players. It's something they need to work on, and they are, but I think they can do more, a lot more. My scores always reflect gameplay, the game itself.
    black9ice
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    8.5/10 is a fair rating IMO.
    I really like the expansion. They did an amazing job with the story and the pacing. The TRUST and the reworked FATE's are very nice as far as new systems go, and I hope they will be worked into NG+ when it arrives. Granted, in a way TRUST does detract from the MMO aspect... but I personally enjoy it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Travesty9090Travesty9090 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    "Unfortunately, it hasn’t been all fun and games. The servers have been plagued with crashing, and DDoS attacks throughout the early access and into full release."

My guy... what are you talking about lol? There was a single DDoS attack on day 1 of early access, where the servers were unstable for maybe 2 hours. That's been the only significant incident. Queue numbers have been under 100 for 99% of server up-time for almost everyone, outside of the initial login queues after the DDoS attack or the couple of maintenances, which were hotfix maintenances, which should absolutely be expected for any video game launch.

Most players are commenting the exact opposite of your analysis about the servers, and calling this a very smooth MMO launch. There have been multiple topics on the subreddit to that effect, one that was the top of the sub and got almost 400 comments lol. It's CERTAINLY heads and shoulders above the last expansion launch.

I get putting in some server stability issues as a con, even though I wouldn't have, but to call them "plagued" is way over-critical.
    Viper482
    edited July 2019
    "Unfortunately, it hasn’t been all fun and games. The servers have been plagued with crashing, and DDoS attacks throughout the early access and into full release."

My guy... what are you talking about lol? There was a single DDoS attack on day 1 of early access, where the servers were unstable for maybe 2 hours.
    There were way more of them than that. A few days ago there was another big one that had the queues up to 3k during NA evening times. It took me a good hour and a half of sitting in the queue due to the ongoing DDoS.

I'm guessing that they didn't happen during your play times, so for you they didn't exist. But some of us most definitely got hit with them. I'm assuming the author is one of the people that was online at the time as well.

Edit: I agree that I wouldn't list it as a con though. Since this isn't some design flaw on SE's part. It's dirtbags trying to ruin people's fun, and it happens to almost all MMOs from time to time. If the service is on the internet, it's vulnerable to DDoS attacks.
    sumdumguy1

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• Travesty9090Travesty9090 Newbie CommonPosts: 5

My guy... what are you talking about lol? There was a single DDoS attack on day 1 of early access, where the servers were unstable for maybe 2 hours.

There were way more of them than that. A few days ago there was another big one that had the queues up to 3k during NA evening times. It took me a good hour and a half of sitting in the queue due to the ongoing DDoS.

I'm guessing that they didn't happen during your play times, so for you they didn't exist. But some of us most definitely got hit with them. I'm assuming the author is one of the people that was online at the time as well.

Edit: I agree that I wouldn't list it as a con though. Since this isn't some design flaw on SE's part. It's dirtbags trying to ruin people's fun, and it happens to almost all MMOs from time to time. If the service is on the internet, it's vulnerable to DDoS attacks.

I've played during NA evening every day since day 1 of early access. The only time there was DDoSing was day 1. SE has not commented on there being any other incidents, and there aren't even any comments about DDoSing if you search the subreddit beyond day 1, which there would have been. There's been downtime due to scheduled hotfix maintenance, and the day 1 DDoS. I don't know what caused your crazy queue, but it wasn't a DDoS.
    Viper482
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Must say this is the only mmorpg so far I can pug, extreme trails and sit with strangers for 1 hour trying to beat the boss without flaming, ragequiting etc everyone helps each other and got patience.

I've played during NA evening every day since day 1 of early access. The only time there was DDoSing was day 1. SE has not commented on there being any other incidents, and there aren't even any comments about DDoSing if you search the subreddit beyond day 1, which there would have been. There's been downtime due to scheduled hotfix maintenance, and the day 1 DDoS. I don't know what caused your crazy queue, but it wasn't a DDoS.
    A Crystal Datacenter network issue then maybe. Since friends on other servers in that datacenter were affected too. Regardless, it does fall under connection/network issues, so he's not just inventing these things.