Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria Post Details Issues & a Solution Regarding Domain & Settlement Selection - MMOR

2»

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited April 2019
    oh good, a new episode in the CoE comedy series... let me grab popcorn and a soda....
    [Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    "we reached out to the 20 monarchs" ....gtfo with this crap
    Believe me, many of the "nobility" in this game believe they "rule" by divine providence.

Read some of their comments on how they plan to treat mayors and other lesser leaders who chose to set up a town inside the borders of a Duke or kingdom without first reaching out and requesting their "blessing."

This is why I am not convinced we should bring back the monarchy. :)
    Bring back? Is Queen on a vacation or something? 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Believe me, many of the "nobility" in this game believe they "rule" by divine providence.

Read some of their comments on how they plan to treat mayors and other lesser leaders who chose to set up a town inside the borders of a Duke or kingdom without first reaching out and requesting their "blessing."

In terms of absolute power. As far as I know the old gal is still going strong. :)
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Scot said:

Kyleran said:

She takes her springs in the Caribbean these days
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    I think they can sort the domain allocation out by hand, here are some tips, You can find all sorts of stuff like this online in PBM showing how easy it is to have a simplistic and fair system. This has all been done before, unfortunately Jeremy will likely come up with a hash of his own devising.

"Have good infrastructure

I usually set up a phpBB-based forum solely for use with the PBP, rather than using an area of someone else's forum. It makes it much easier for me to administer and tweak. I set up custom ranks for each player to indicate which character he or she is playing, which makes it easier for the players and myself to keep things straight. I encourage avatar use as well. Another advantage of having your own forum is that you can easily set up "private" forums, each of which only a given player can see. This is useful for "note passing," keeping track of xp and private conversations, and so on without having to go through a backlog of PMs. I usually have an out-of-character forum for intros, general discussion, and metagame stuff, and an in-character forum for actual play. I devote a separate thread to each "delve," as I'm currently running an OD&D campaign.

Be active, have active players, and communicate interruptions

The paramount concern in PBP, in my experience, is having active players. I ask for some kind of substantive post at least once a day. Stagnation is doom in the PBP realm — once things slow down, heat death follows. If I can't post for a few days — which happens — I let everyone know, and expect the same.

Start the game with clear direction

One thing I discovered running a City State of the Invincible Overlord PBP a couple years back is that too many options at the beginning of play can lead to decision paralysis as the players try to decide what to do. In a dungeon-type game, I'd recommended starting at the adventure site, getting stuck in, then getting to the roleplaying after the players have the swing of things. In a story-type game, I'd consider starting in media res, like with a chase scene or something that gets the players thinking in-character quickly.

Pace your background exposition

Finally, I'd avoid excessive infodump. It's great for you, as the referee, to know lots about your setting, but I'd keep the early background to just enough to give the players a sense of things and parcel the rest out through play."

Err...I'd really recomend you read through the DSS post, it will give you a better understanding of what they are attempting. The TLDR version.

1) using 72 cloud based servers they are generating four full worlds (which is taking more time than expected)
    2) then they are apply details such as elevations, groundwater flows,  resources,  towns, names of towns, tribal distributions etc
    3) all gets put into a web based portal for players to view these domains prior to selection.

So it's not just selecting domains, they are actually generating them first in order to have something to select besides a flat map.

The actual selection process is pretty simple, based on a player's influence and nobility level they are given a window of time to open up the tool, look at the domains and make their choice.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    I think they can sort the domain allocation out by hand, here are some tips, You can find all sorts of stuff like this online in PBM showing how easy it is to have a simplistic and fair system. This has all been done before, unfortunately Jeremy will likely come up with a hash of his own devising.

I usually set up a phpBB-based forum solely for use with the PBP, rather than using an area of someone else's forum. It makes it much easier for me to administer and tweak. I set up custom ranks for each player to indicate which character he or she is playing, which makes it easier for the players and myself to keep things straight. I encourage avatar use as well. Another advantage of having your own forum is that you can easily set up "private" forums, each of which only a given player can see. This is useful for "note passing," keeping track of xp and private conversations, and so on without having to go through a backlog of PMs. I usually have an out-of-character forum for intros, general discussion, and metagame stuff, and an in-character forum for actual play. I devote a separate thread to each "delve," as I'm currently running an OD&D campaign.

The paramount concern in PBP, in my experience, is having active players. I ask for some kind of substantive post at least once a day. Stagnation is doom in the PBP realm — once things slow down, heat death follows. If I can't post for a few days — which happens — I let everyone know, and expect the same.

One thing I discovered running a City State of the Invincible Overlord PBP a couple years back is that too many options at the beginning of play can lead to decision paralysis as the players try to decide what to do. In a dungeon-type game, I'd recommended starting at the adventure site, getting stuck in, then getting to the roleplaying after the players have the swing of things. In a story-type game, I'd consider starting in media res, like with a chase scene or something that gets the players thinking in-character quickly.

Finally, I'd avoid excessive infodump. It's great for you, as the referee, to know lots about your setting, but I'd keep the early background to just enough to give the players a sense of things and parcel the rest out through play."

Err...I'd really recomend you read through the DSS post, it will give you a better understanding of what they are attempting. The TLDR version.

1) using 72 cloud based servers they are generating four full worlds (which is taking more time than expected)
    2) then they are apply details such as elevations, groundwater flows,  resources,  towns, names of towns, tribal distributions etc
    3) all gets put into a web based portal for players to view these domains prior to selection.

So it's not just selecting domains, they are actually generating them first in order to have something to select besides a flat map.

The actual selection process is pretty simple, based on a player's influence and nobility level they are given a window of time to open up the tool, look at the domains and make their choice.

So the generator is not working? But they suggested they can use what they have for the lesser titles when it comes to land? That does sound odd to me, are the maps working on different scales so the map for kings is not the same as dukes?

Why have generated land and not just place it by hand, are they going to reset the whole game at some point? Otherwise that seems another system they don't need.
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

So the generator is not working? But they suggested they can use what they have for the lesser titles when it comes to land? That does sound odd to me, are the maps working on different scales so the map for kings is not the same as dukes?

Why have generated land and not just place it by hand, are they going to reset the whole game at some point? Otherwise that seems another system they don't need.
    Because in their infinite wisdom they decided to make unique worlds for each server.  They all have their own maps. Now don't get me wrong, it's a cool concept... but one that adds a ton of time, costs money and adds complexity to a development project that is years behind schedule, has had to layoff team members and is already drowning in complex concepts.

GdemamiScot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

"Let's just quickly build all 4 game worlds in fine detail, how hard can it be ?"

Evidently, it wasn't that simple after all...
    Kyleran
  • MatimusmaximusMatimusmaximus Member UncommonPosts: 26
    It would be really wonderful if one of these games that "does it differently" actually came out.
    I was excited for this game in what... 2013?
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Because in their infinite wisdom they decided to make unique worlds for each server.  They all have their own maps. Now don't get me wrong, it's a cool concept... but one that adds a ton of time, costs money and adds complexity to a development project that is years behind schedule, has had to layoff team members and is already drowning in complex concepts.

A clear mistake, it is not as if players are going to play on more than one map. Not only that but the tool generates the map, you have to wonder how much thought has gone into the issues you can get from random(ish) allocation of resources. Even if players then pick their land areas, the maps could have all sorts of funnelling points, hotspots and awkward design.
    Gdemami
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

A clear mistake, it is not as if players are going to play on more than one map. Not only that but the tool generates the map, you have to wonder how much thought has gone into the issues you can get from random(ish) allocation of resources. Even if players then pick their land areas, the maps could have all sorts of funnelling points, hotspots and awkward design.
    Well, not quite true, many folks have stated they'll split time on NA East and NA West, even Caspian. (On his incognito alt I'm guessing.  :)

There is already a thread on the COE forums to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each area selection and the possible implications on future game play decisions.

Scot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Marcus323Marcus323 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It is truly sad what has become of this game and its community. The "CEO" openly attacks backers who complain about his ineptitude. Those who speak out about the delays and poor handling of communication are attacked openly by others within the community. I fear this game is about to die and Caspian will have no one to blame but himself, which he won't do, as usual he will blame the community. It is their fault they didn't make the delivery date on DSS, because they insisted the studio give a date, so of course it is the communities fault. Caspian needs to grow up.
    bcbullyGdemami
    Everyone should re-read the original article and also check the date. Then match that up with today’s date and the fact that they STILL have not finished this “tool”. Not only that, but the maps were not even generated yet. They literally had people picking their locations on a map that was only an outline with the contents not even generated.
    Leave aside the delay... but can someone give an alternative to Caspien having blatantly lied in this post? He made it sound as though the worlds were all set but the selection tools were not final yet. That was utter bullshit. Next to nothing was done as far as I can tell.

Alternate takes? I’d love to hear them.
    bcbullyGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I have some alternate takes, which is pure speculation of course, but based on the little info I have bothered taking notice of;
    It started with the rain and water. The engine generated water where there should not be water. I imagine there were floating lakes in the mountain or hills, glitching into or above the solid texture. Due to this animals/fish/birds who were supposed to be eg. in water, were glitching OUT of the water. Eg sharks were floating through the air. Lions were catching herring under the surface of the water, as the generated world allowed them to glitch into the already glitched out water. NPCs were being chased by sharks from sea which level glitched already into ground half covering settlements. THIS is what I read when I first heard about problems with water not being where it was supposed to be, and animals spawning at strange places. I could be wrong of course. If they band-aid force located lakes and biothomes, they would probably fear the terrain glitches could happen again. And what is more risky than opening up the existent gamewrold already under strain to other sources without knowing what will happen when being put under extra pressure (land domain selection). Hence to avoid any risks to biomes already hanging together by ducktape, they found it safer to allocate them in safe controllable environment, while trying to maintain the glitches and bugs at the same time to avoid having to redo the biomes every time the fking shit hits the fan again. Solution; the biome developers allocates the land. 

On a note; I could be totally wrong.
    Gdemami
    My take is Jeromy believed the worlds would be fit for DSS inmediately upon generation but the algorithms developed by his "inept" team once again failed to deliver his vision.  ;)

In the past two months we've been given several reports on how he personally has been refining the algorithms around map generation, water distribution, and biomes while others on the team make manual adjustments to settlement and cave locations.

My guess is they've been regenerating some parts of or even all of the maps after adjusting the algos.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    My take is Jeromy believed the worlds would be fit for DSS inmediately upon generation but the algorithms developed by his "inept" team once again failed to deliver his vision.  ;)

In the past two months we've been given several reports on how he personally has been refining the algorithms around map generation, water distribution, and biomes while others on the team make manual adjustments to settlement and cave locations.

My guess is they've been regenerating some parts of or even all of the maps after adjusting the algos.

Usually refining the algorithms and re-generating the procedurally generated map continues all the way through development when you're doing a procedurally generated map.

Take Crowfall for instance: They started with an arena that didn't even have colors or textures in it, then have increased the size, added different areas and objects, polished it, and each regeneration is a bit evolved from the previous regeneration.

Caspian is mad to try to make a final map generation this early in the first place. Those gameplay mechanisms are a lot harder to adjust to your map than it would be to keep adjusting your map generation algorithms to generate stuff for gameplay.
    Gdemami

• Marcus323Marcus323 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    After the first delay I remember Caspian saying he just needed to do the water generation and that would only take 12 hours so they were still on course to make the May 7th second release date. Well, here we are 2 months later and still nothing. I have to wonder if he knows anything about game design or if he just truly sucks at timelines, or even worse he lies to try to keep the hype. At this point, I would say a class action lawsuit against the studio is the best thing to do because everyone will lose everything they have invested.
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Marcus323 said:
    After the first delay I remember Caspian saying he just needed to do the water generation and that would only take 12 hours so they were still on course to make the May 7th second release date. Well, here we are 2 months later and still nothing. I have to wonder if he knows anything about game design or if he just truly sucks at timelines, or even worse he lies to try to keep the hype. At this point, I would say a class action lawsuit against the studio is the best thing to do because everyone will lose everything they have invested.
    A minor correction.  There is no investment.  It's all donations, so the money is already lost.  Sure, you could try a class action lawsuit, but it will not accomplish anything.  Except possibly to give Caspian another excuse to play the victim card, or throw someone different under the bus.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

@bcbully instead of just WTFing how about you join the discussion and explain.  I asked for alternate takes.  Let’s hear yours.  I’m open to hearing a counterpoint.
    Gdemami