Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most addictive PC strategy games?

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,947
    Massive Chalice
    Rimworld (not turn-based, but addictive and with plenty of strategy)

I've forgone normal nights of rest over these, take that as you will. 
    blueturtle13

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,519
    Stellaris is my top pick
    Having booted this up the other day, I have to concur. It was tough leaving the game as my "projects" never synched up well :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Update.  Got back into CK2 and have been playing that but not before a game of Gal Civ 2.  Picked up Stellaris for 10 bucks but going to save it for later. 

Yesterday I snagged Warhammer 1 and 2 for 45 bucks (normally 120) during the steam summer sale.  Also went ahead and grabbed Resident Evil 7 for 15 bucks.

Also still have Pathfinder Kingmaker to play.

Looks like my gaming needs are met until P99 Green launches in October :).
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,083
    Strategy based used to be like Civ and other games wehre you built cities and conquered, but then it kinda took on turn based games where strategy was used in combat....So now when I hear strategy game, I am not sure which I am going to get.
    AlBQuirky
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    PC strategy ?  Hum............Close Combat series IMO is the best.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,408
    Update.  Got back into CK2 <snip>
    CK2 has a lot - an awful lot - of different ways to play as a result of the "expansions"

Feel I need to add two notes:
    1. "expansions" are not just "more of the same". 
    2. In context I am talking about expansions that add "different ways of winning" as opposed to "different, additional mechanics".

So "The Republic", for example, added merchant republics such as Venice. And playing one of these trying to establish and defend trading posts rather than commanding huge armies is very different. 

Whereas the "Way of Life" expansion was about character development making existing "ways of winning" more involved (dare I say complex).

And maybe a third note for people unfamiliar with CK2. "Winning" is a somewhat ephemeral concept since the game revolves around families or "dynasties". You claw your way to the top - Victory! Then you die and your siblings quarrel and fight to see who replaces you. Your heir might come out on top ..... or not. Its often a new struggle every generation. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,740
    started playing SC 2 7 weeks ago and i'm hooked, no path of exile for me. Currently on gold, got to hit Platinum before august. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,240
    There are also old but good things like Spellforce(has a modern entry though), Seven Kingdoms, Battle for Middle Earth etc.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    AlBQuirky said:
    Stellaris is my top pick
    Having booted this up the other day, I have to concur. It was tough leaving the game as my "projects" never synched up well :)
    I've played every 4x space game there is, from Reach for the Stars through Stellaris.  Several titles outshine Stellaris to me -- Gal Civ 2 for one.  Stellaris has already changed drastically since the initial launch, and given the Paradox philosophy, will continue to change every expansion.  Don't forget, you pay money for those expansions.  Some changes might be pretty insignificant, but others will completely rethink a game mechanic.

Stellaris does compete well with other 4x space games in terms of micromanagement.  There is just too much fiddling with every planet and production queues.  It seems to be a scope thing, all 4x games seem to do the same.  More planets, more micromanagement; mostly all to one or two patterns over and over again.  And mostly build everything everywhere it can be built.

Stellaris does do one thing well.  It gives a real boost to exploration.  The anomaly research element is a pretty good addition to the 4x genre.  It would be even better if the game drew from a much larger set of anomalies -- in the initial expansion, you could easily get repeated events as there weren't as many different anomalies.  They have expanded this somewhat, but putting that info in the local game as opposed to a common database diminishes the grander nature of the unexplored galaxy.

My personal favorite 4x was the little known Imperium Galactica II.  It had a strong 4x game featuring 4 different races, with specific events and story lines and cinematics for each race.  It was a hybrid 4x/city builder/RPG mashup.

blueturtle13AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,794
    Has anyone played "At the Gates"? If so, how does it play? What ways can it be played?
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,830
    Torval said:
    Has anyone played "At the Gates"? If so, how does it play? What ways can it be played?
    Is that the one from Shafer? I forgot all about that one
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Mendel said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Stellaris is my top pick

My personal favorite 4x was the little known Imperium Galactica II.  It had a strong 4x game featuring 4 different races, with specific events and story lines and cinematics for each race.  It was a hybrid 4x/city builder/RPG mashup.

I have never played it. I added it to my cart on Steam it is super cheap right now. Thanks for the suggestion 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,884
    edited June 27
    Best 4x Strategy game made to date is Distant Worlds , this is not even a discussion , and its on sale for !4.99 ,  one of the Best Deals this Sale

Runner up for more of a TB style is Star Traders

TorvalPhaserlightMaurgrimimmodium
    Torval said:
    Yes. https://store.steampowered.com/app/241000/Jon_Shafers_At_the_Gates/

Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

Torval said:
    Torval said:

I always think of the band with the same name when I see it and forgot about the title as a game
    The reviews are mixed I am shy to pull the trigger on that one....I have 6 more games in my cart now though lol 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    Torval said:

I always think of the band with the same name when I see it and forgot about the title as a game
    The reviews are mixed I am shy to pull the trigger on that one....I have 6 more games in my cart now though lol 

Same, which is why I haven't bought it yet. Some comments mention it's more centered around expanding, diplomacy, and trade with military action than expand and extinguish.

I like the idea of exploring and expanding until all the land is taken and then moving on to trade and diplomacy rather than imperial conquest. That's fun sometimes but I would like to explore setting up industry, economy, and trade too.
    blueturtle13

• moonlightz11moonlightz11 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    what about plan vs zombie 2 hahha , apkafe 
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,240
    Dawn of War's Ult Apoc mod?
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,216
    Age of Empires and Spellforce
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,241
    Scorchien said:
    Best 4x Strategy game made to date is Distant Worlds , this is not even a discussion , and its on sale for !4.99 ,  one of the Best Deals this Sale

Runner up for more of a TB style is Star Traders

Love that game, by far best x4 game ever made, and It dosent hurt using Picard era mod ;)
  • H3liconH3licon Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I'm huge fan of XCOM2, played hundreds of hours.
    AlBQuirky
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,770
    Just about any Civ game will have you wondering if you possess time traveler abilities. 
    AlBQuirky
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 695
    Civilization "One More Turn" VI
    AlBQuirkyViper482

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, anything Dark Souls-like, Hearthstone, DDO
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Started playing Total War Warhammer, ouchy, time sink, and I'm enjoying trying to get better.  Big thumbs up so far.
    Palebane
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,519
    edited July 10
    I just recalled a game I've had on my PC forever, Transport Tycoon Deluxe (TTD). It's a free game and you are in charge of a transport business, bringing raw materials to factories and then to market. You use trains, trucks, and planes. TTD.org homepage: https://www.openttd.org/

You decide where to lay rails or build airports and what resources to ship where. You can also run bus companies to get your humans to and from work :)

It is much like Sim City, but much more in depth.
    PhaserlightalkarionlogTorval

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)