Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheLazyPeon talks about Final Fantasy XIV

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Raxeon said:
    why did he remove the video

His claim was that he got death threats:
    https://twitter.com/The_Lazy_Peon/status/1147459898705416192

While plausible (no community is free of toxic individuals), it's also highly possible that he removed it due to the really bad like/dislike ratio and used that generic excuse.
    Viper482[Deleted User]Buschkatze
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Xasapis said:
    Raxeon said:

While plausible (no community is free of toxic individuals), it's also highly possible that he removed it due to the really bad like/dislike ratio and used that generic excuse.

Pretty sure the latter is the real reason. 

As for the topic I have gone back and forth with this game since release. The early game is horrible for most anyone who is not just a final fantasy nut. The zones are claustrophobic, the combat is mind numbingly boring. The later game, however, is where things start to shine. Open zones, flying, more abilities and more fluid combat...and the story gets better. The problem is no one wants to suffer to get there, and the only alternative is to pay your way. I enjoyed Stormblood and am now enjoying Shadowbringers on my Red Mage. The game feels so much more mature and deeper than WoW in every way. This says a lot considering.....moogles. 
    Buschkatze
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't think Lazy Peon is really a Final Fantasy fan to begin with, and that is who the game is for, it is after all Final Fantasy, if you go in expecting something else then you will be disappointed. The storyline in FFXIV is what it is all about, its not a sandbox game nor is it trying to be one, nor are other players your competitors, perhaps it is because of this that there is such a cooperative 'atmosphere' to the game, at least there is if you are open to it and willing to join in, the 'dungeons' are easy to begin with and gradually become more challenging, by the time you hit Garuda they definitely become less 'forgiving'. The storyline in this game is amazing, i haven't reached the storyline of shadowbringers yet, but judging from the login queues no matter what time you try to play, its extremely popular and i would not be in the least bit surprised in FFXIV was currently the MMORPG with the most subbed players, SE have totally nailed it, this one is definitely for the players they have, unlike other games that seem to be determined to throw away their existing playerbase in favour of some mythological demographic that probably doesn't exist, SE continue to cater to their fans. ;)
    PhaserlightBuschkatze
    Phry said:
    I don't think Lazy Peon is really a Final Fantasy fan to begin with, and that is who the game is for, it is after all Final Fantasy, if you go in expecting something else then you will be disappointed. The storyline in FFXIV is what it is all about, its not a sandbox game nor is it trying to be one, nor are other players your competitors, perhaps it is because of this that there is such a cooperative 'atmosphere' to the game, at least there is if you are open to it and willing to join in, the 'dungeons' are easy to begin with and gradually become more challenging, by the time you hit Garuda they definitely become less 'forgiving'. The storyline in this game is amazing, i haven't reached the storyline of shadowbringers yet, but judging from the login queues no matter what time you try to play, its extremely popular and i would not be in the least bit surprised in FFXIV was currently the MMORPG with the most subbed players, SE have totally nailed it, this one is definitely for the players they have, unlike other games that seem to be determined to throw away their existing playerbase in favour of some mythological demographic that probably doesn't exist, SE continue to cater to their fans. ;)
    The guy loves BDO, of course he's going to dislike FFXIV, they're kind of polar opposites.
    PhaserlightViper482Rich84Buschkatze
  • mixtape334mixtape334 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    just going to drop this here https://livestreamfails.com/post/3795

I'm calling bs on getting the death threats
    [Deleted User]Rich84PhryBuschkatze
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    You think he's going to be honest about his opinions in the future now?
    ...what makes you think he was ever 'honest' about his opinions before?
    mixtape334[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonBuschkatze

To be fair, that was a possible heat of the moment comment two years ago.
  • mixtape334mixtape334 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Xasapis said:

To be fair, that was a possible heat of the moment comment two years ago.

doesnt make it right. lazy is an idiot. he got rightful dislikes on a video and cried wolf on the death threats so he wouldnt look like an idiot when he took the video down. Guy couldve just accepted he made a terrible review and went about his business.
    Rich84Buschkatze
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sheesh. You guys know way more about these random YT wankers than I do.

I feel out of the loop but yet less affected by social media mind rot. A good trade off I'm thinking.
    MrMelGibsonRidelynn[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Tokken said:
    Not a fan of FFXIV. I regret buying it.... waste of money.  I agree with the Peon, but I am not a fan of Asian games in general... too many cutesy animations and grind.
    I agree about FFXIV. I find the combat abilities cooldowns way to slow. And I just never got into the lore of the IP.
    Buschkatze
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2019
     LazyPeon is a fuggin idiot it took all of watching 5 minutes of a video 2 years ago , and never watched again ...

That being said this is most likely a PR ploy to see how many more stupid Lemmings he can get to sub to his channel ..
    Buschkatze
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited July 2019
    I watched the video and kind of agree on a lot of points. The problem is not that the game is story driven etc. The problem is the story on the core game is so bad and boring that it took me a while to finish the core questline. And after that you have the filler quests. If you don't finish around 100 filler quests which were boring as f*ck or pay money you just can't start playing the next expansion which is where the game starts to become good with an amazing storyline. They are literally saying that if you wanna experience one of the best expansions of the gaming history you have to deal with this boring shit while wasting hours and hours. This is just complate nonsense. I can see why he skipped the good part after experiencing the hell itself while trying to get pass the core game. Square Enix still insisting of not fixing this problem and because of that they don't give a good first impression for a lot of new players which is a huge loss for them.

I have a lot of problems with this game which is why I stopped playing. I'm not saying it is a bad game because it is not, looking that I put around 400 hours into it. But this is a game that hold back by its developers name it pvp, combat or the variety of the pve content. And on top of that after ranting and cursing at Blizzard because they are selling bunch of mounts with real money, I just can't play FFXIV while knowing even tho it is a p2p game it has a cash shop which rivals a f2p game like Gw2...
    Buschkatze
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Tokken said:
    Not a fan of FFXIV. I regret buying it.... waste of money.  I agree with the Peon, but I am not a fan of Asian games in general... too many cutesy animations and grind.
    Yeah, I got up to about Lvl 25 with my character. I didn't mind the gameplay but the dialogue and story felt like it was written for 7-10 year olds.  And some of those outfits...ugly would be putting it nicely. Like something from a church. If they had different writers, I would have given it more of a chance.
    Buschkatze
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Gdemami said:
    You think he's going to be honest about his opinions in the future now?
    ...what makes you think he was ever 'honest' about his opinions before?
    What makes you think he wasn't? He says when he hates something and when he likes something. He'll avoid saying he hates something now. I don't agree with the guy most of the time but he's entertaining to watch when he doesn't like something... especially when its down to his rushing style of gaming so he doesn't have a clue what's going on.

I know you're just trolling me to be awkward but, come on, you know what I mean.
    GdemamiBuschkatze
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Story in shb is awesome, I just reached the story for the first trail for lvl 80, the sound is so good, dungeons and trails are beautiful.
    Buschkatze

• zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I think its fine, but honestly it does not appeal to people who want to just skip to endgame.  IF you take the story as it comes and just play through at a slower pace and appreciate it, its really nice especially Heavensward.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
     He only made this video to get clicks. For his next trick, he's gonna become a furry and attack healers for dpsing.
    Rich84[Deleted User]
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Xasapis said:
    Raxeon said:

Maybe I'm too cynical but I'd agree it was that the dislikes were far outweighing the likes. And most comments were accusing him of being in paid cahoots with rival game studio/s to try hurt FFXIV's market share but that sounds pretty paranoid to me. He has been making a lot of sponsored content lately though so was probably worried he might be getting branded as a total shill and he wanted to destroy the pages where mob mentality was clearly turning against him, like cutting off a gangrenous limb.

I'd say the video was more like an example of how some WoW fanboys (where his early success came from) feel a need to poop on other games because people are just weirdly tribal like that. They go in with a closed mind and just try magnify any minor complaint they can to justify why it isn't as good as what they have decided to defend. 
    [Deleted User]GdemamiBuschkatze
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited July 2019
    I have played this game from 2.0 on....it is what it is supposed to be. Not only is it what it is supposed to be, it does it with flying colors. ShB, so far, is the best story yet. Historically, when an MMO reaches versions 4x and 5x it starts to lose its identity and become something other than what it was launched as, and in most cases, something far less intersting than 1x and 2x. Not so with FFXIV. This expansion tops them all so far. It's well done. But if you don't want to enjoy animated cut scenes and deep story lines, then, yeah, you won't like it.

But you don't complain because your favorite action hero isn't featured on Lifetime taking out all the bad guys.
    Post edited by GeezerGamer on
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Buschkatze
  • PKrauserPKrauser Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Global Skill CD OmegaLUL
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited July 2019
    Arterius said:
    I disagree. I also love Lazy Peon but he has hated FFXIV for a long time. FFXIV is a story based MMO if your not into the story of course your not going to like the game. For me FFXIV has one of the best stories in a MMO.

I mean to be fair I am surprised he even went back to the game... He didn't like the game in 2015 when he played it either. Anything to get those clicks though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xcgxy6uMeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFiHMufzkg

Did you watch the video? He explains why he kept playing despite not enjoying it up to that point, and why he intended to continue. It's because people kept telling him "the best stuff is at the end", which is an all too familiar defense I've seen/heard many times myself. The best part of the game, the *real* reason to play, is *always* the stuff you haven't done yet. And if you don't keep slogging through the boring stuff 'til you get there? Well, then you have no right to criticize 'cause you didn't play it enough or correctly. Amazing how that works.

He could well have kept playing...

... because if you say you don't like FFXIV without putting in "arbitrary number of hours, which is always more than you already have" you're told "you didn't play it long enough, so your opinion doesn't count".

... because If you say "I did A, B, C, D, E, and F and didn't find it enjoyable.", you'll be told "well, you didn't do G, H, and I, so your opinion doesn't matter"

But it's more than that.

I've seen people citing the long/boring leveling and story as the reason they stopped playing. They were told they had no right to complain, because they could just buy the skip potions, so it was their own fault.

Yet, Peon buys the skip potions to get past all that, because he didn't enjoy it. He's told he's wrong for buying the skip potion, and it's his own fault for not enjoying it.

Gotta love them catch-22's. 

Let's be honest, folks. It has nothing to do with what Peon did or didn't do in the game, how much or how little he played, or anything else.

It has everything to do with his opinion being critical/negative. He has"the wrong opinion" and must be punished for it.

If he'd played the game *exactly* the same way, showing *exactly* the same footage in his video, but concluded with "in the end, I really enjoyed my experience and look forward to continuing" - not *one* person would have had a problem with it. Not one person would be berating him for buying a skip potion, or telling him he "did it wrong".

Because he'd have had "the right opinion", and that's all that matters.

I'd bet on that, because it's how it goes. Every single time.

I've seen community members on the official forums arguing themselves into pretzels, blatantly contradicting and refuting their own arguments from one thread to the next in their efforts to defend FFXIV from any and all criticism. Try pointing their contradictions out to them, and it just doesn't even register. They don't even remember what they said most of the time.

Since 2.0, the FFXIV community has been rabidly protective of this game. Any criticism of the game, even if you're *actively playing it* is met with aggressive backlash. I experienced it, in-game, for simply stating that I felt like certain dungeons felt rushed and lazily designed. I had Kin members bash me for daring to opine that I found a lot of the writing and voice acting to be cheesy.

If you want to get an idea of how rabid FFXIV fans look to outsiders... just take a gander at how Star Citizen's biggest, most rabid supporters react to criticism of that game. It's almost indistinguishable. 
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    hallucigenocideNephethBuschkatze
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    What makes you think he wasn't? 
    erm...you were the one making the claim about his 'honesty' ...

Just like any content creator, he lives by telling people want they to hear so it is utterly silly to say:

'If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.'

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2019
    Gdemami said:
    What makes you think he wasn't? 
    erm...you were the one making the claim about his 'honesty' ...

Just like any content creator, he lives by telling people want they to hear so it is utterly silly to say:

'If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.'

You're just talking rubbish Gman. Get real.

Generalizing what I said far too much and trying to be clever. You know full well I meant his opinions, not just the info and type of content he covers.
    Gdemami
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2019
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    I disagree. I also love Lazy Peon but he has hated FFXIV for a long time. FFXIV is a story based MMO if your not into the story of course your not going to like the game. For me FFXIV has one of the best stories in a MMO.

I mean to be fair I am surprised he even went back to the game... He didn't like the game in 2015 when he played it either. Anything to get those clicks though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xcgxy6uMeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFiHMufzkg

Did you watch the video? He explains why he kept playing despite not enjoying it up to that point, and why he intended to continue. It's because people kept telling him "the best stuff is at the end", which is an all too familiar defense I've seen/heard many times myself. The best part of the game, the *real* reason to play, is *always* the stuff you haven't done yet. Amazing how that works.

He could well have kept playing...

... because if you say you don't like FFXIV without putting in "arbitrary number of hours, but always more than you have" you're told "you didn't play it long enough, so your opinion doesn't count".

... because If you say "I did A, B, C, D, E, and F and didn't find it enjoyable.", you'll be told "well, you didn't do G, H, and I, so your opinion doesn't matter"

But it's more than that.

I've seen people citing the long/boring leveling and story as the reason they stopped playing. They were told they had no right to complain, because they could just buy the skip potions, so it was their own fault.

Yet, Peon buys the skip potions to get past all that, because he didn't enjoy it. He's told he's wrong for buying the skip potion.

Gotta love them catch-22's. 

Let's be honest, folks. It has nothing to do with what Peon did or didn't do in the game, how much or how little he played, or anything else.

It has everything to do with his opinion being critical/negative. He has"the wrong opinion" and must be punished for it.

If he'd played the game *exactly* the same way, showing *exactly* the same footage in his video, but concluded with "in the end, I really enjoyed my experience and look forward to continuing" - not *one* person would have had a problem with it. Not one person would be berating him for buying a skip potion, or telling him he "did it wrong".

Because he'd have had "the right opinion", and that's all that matters.

I'd bet on that, because it's how it goes. Every single time.

I've seen community members on the official forums arguing themselves into pretzels, blatantly contradicting and refuting their own arguments from one thread to the next in their efforts to defend FFXIV from any and all criticism. Try pointing their contradictions out to them, and it just doesn't even register. They don't even remember what they said most of the time.

Since 2.0, the FFXIV community has been rabidly protective of this game. Any criticism of the game, even if you're *actively playing it* is met with aggressive backlash. I experienced it, in-game, for simply stating that I felt like certain dungeons felt rushed and lazily designed. I had Kin members bash me for daring to opine that I found a lot of the writing and voice acting to be cheesy.

If you want to get an idea of how rabid FFXIV fans look to outsiders... just take a gander at how Star Citizen's biggest, most rabid supporters react to criticism of that game. It's almost indistinguishable. 
    I understand why he kept playing but I still stand by my stance that I don't understand why he did it. He didn't like what he played of FFXIV but decided to play in the off chance that he might like the end game. He could have looked up Youtube videos or read anywhere that the game is just as a heavy in story and linear  if he just did some research. 

As I said earlier. I understand his opinion. I am one of those people who don't jump down someones throat if they don't share my opinion as I hate when people do that to me. I have gotten it enough over the fact that I like TLJ. However, the reason why he was so angry was more then likely because he was pushing himself to play a game he didn't like to give into his viewers just as he did by removing his video. 

I know that FFXIV fans are passionate and do not take criticism well but I also don't believe death threats were posted. As I didn't see any in the comments and neither did others who posted on the tweet. Their was however a huge dislike to like ratio and a lot of people angry at him. So I think he pulled down the video because of the backlash.

MMO's are time consuming. It's the reason why most people only play one or two max. My least favorite MMO is BDO. If tons of people peer pressured me to get to the soft cap in that game I would probably lose my mind just as he did. What he should have done was make a video instead where he talked about his problems with the game when he first starting feeling fatigued.

The video came off like he was upset and angry. Like he felt like he was wasting his time. I get that. I just think a lot more people would have been upset if he had taken a breather before making the video. Take a step back. There wasn't a ton of backlash around the first two FFXIV videos after all. As I said above though it isn't a secret that he had to go away for a while because of his blood pressure and how angry he gets playing awful MMO's.  He was gone I think for four months, at least. It was so long I unsubbed thinking he just quit. As he said he might in his good-bye video.

In my humble opinion i think he should step away from making videos on games he doesn't like and instead put time in making videos for MMO's he does like. Like WoW, BDO, and GW2. I think with angry issues he isn't cut out to review games he doesn't like. FFXIV isn't the first game he has been visibly angry about when he reviewed it because he spent hours on it when he would rather play something else.

FFXIV was just the first game he did it too that has a huge playerbase. 
    Nothing wrong with making videos about a MMO your don't like but playing a MMO you don't like for ages in barking. FFXIV dares to be different, there is room for that difference, unless you are a player who thinks all MMOs must be made exactly the way you think you like them. I say think, because we often do not really understand why we prefer something, though we are usually certain we do. :)
    QuarterStackRich84
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited July 2019
    Arterius said:
    I understand why he kept playing but I still stand by my stance that I don't understand why he did it. He didn't like what he played of FFXIV but decided to play in the off chance that he might like the end game. He could have looked up Youtube videos or read anywhere that the game is just as a heavy in story and linear  if he just did some research.

Does it matter if you, or me, or anyone else understands it?

No, it doesn't.

Is it required that you, or me, or anyone else "understand" why he did it? No, it isn't. He did it because he saw reason to, and decided to follow through on it.

When you decide to do things in your personal life, for your own reasons, does it matter whether or not others - especially people you don't even know - understand why you're doing it?

He made the video because he wanted to, and stated his reasoning clearly.

For all we know, he was being hounded by people who wouldn't take no for an answer when asked if he would cover FFXIV more, insisting that end-game is really where the fun is. That's a very common argument, and LP does say people kept telling him as much.

Incidentally, you questioning why he would keep playing on the off chance that he might like end game highlights another example of contradiction in the XIV community. Time and again, people who say they don't find the game fun are told that end-game is where "the real game starts" and it gets fun; that if you haven't done that, then you haven't experienced the whole game, and your opinion doesn't matter.

It's another catch-22. Another example of how the community will openly contradict itself in its rush to protect FFXIV from any criticism.

Arterius said:
    As I said earlier. I understand his opinion. I am one of those people who don't jump down someones throat if they don't share my opinion as I hate when people do that to me. I have gotten it enough over the fact that I like TLJ. However, the reason why he was so angry was more then likely because he was pushing himself to play a game he didn't like to give into his viewers just as he did by removing his video.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Fact is, we don't know why he sounds the way he does in the video. Maybe he'd had to restart the video multiple times, or kept tripping over his tongue, and the frustration was coming out in his voice. Maybe his dog or cat was being annoying and he had to keep stopping and restarting. Maybe a child amped up on sugar was outside his window, screaming their head off while smashing an ice-cream cone against the glass. Maybe he'd run out of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and really wanted a bowl before recording. Maybe a dozen different things were happening at once.

Or, maybe he was frustrated for the reason you said. But even then, so what? That's his problem. And anyway, someone sounding frustrated when voicing an opinion doesn't disqualify/diminish that opinion. In fact, in a situation like this, it would support it.

More to the point, it doesn't matter. TLP's opinions, or how he came to them, is not diminished or disqualified by how he sounds when voicing them.
    Arterius said:
    I know that FFXIV fans are passionate and do not take criticism well but I also don't believe death threats were posted. As I didn't see any in the comments and neither did others who posted on the tweet. Their was however a huge dislike to like ratio and a lot of people angry at him. So I think he pulled down the video because of the backlash.

Death threats are typically sent through PM's/DMs. Not posted publicly in the comments where everyone can see and report the person making them. So no, even assuming you did or could have read every single comment on the video, that's not where you would have seen them.

People receive death threats for posting the most mundane and innocuous of things on YT. With how aggressive many in the XIV community become publicly when their game is criticized, I have no problem believing he received some.

Frankly, saying "I think he took it down because of the backlash", though technically accurate (death threats do count as backlash), reeks of deflection. It's an obvious attempt to insulate and distance FFXIV and its community from the bad behavior of its own members.

At this point, I'm going to call BS on this bit, and your posts in their entirety. Your intent has been more than obvious all this time. But I've played along up 'til now. Every argument you've made has been an attempt to dismiss and disqualify TLP's comments, just in a round-about, "non-toxic, because I really like the guy" sounding way. "I don't understand why he would keep playing", "he sounds angry..."

In fact, it continues in the rest of your post.
    Arterius said:
    MMO's are time consuming. It's the reason why most people only play one or two max. My least favorite MMO is BDO. If tons of people peer pressured me to get to the soft cap in that game I would probably lose my mind just as he did.
    It's adorable that you're attempting to lecture on how time-consuming MMOs are when talking about someone who plays and reviews them for a living, and has invested hundreds of hours into one of the most time-consuming titles out there currently (BDO). It's cute. Really.

And saying "he lost his mind"? Seriously?

So, let me get this straight...
    When FFXIV players attack TLP for criticizing their game, in your own words, they're "passionate". But if TLP sounds frustrated in a video, "he lost his mind". Well there you have it. No obvious bias or double-standard there! 

Arterius said:
    What he should have done was make a video instead where he talked about his problems with the game when he first starting feeling fatigued.
    News Flash: You don't get to say how he, or anyone "should have" done anything. Get over yourself.
    Arterius said:
    The video came off like he was upset and angry.
    Again, so what? It doesn't diminish or disqualify the opinion itself, as much as you'd like it to.
    Arterius said:
    Like he felt like he was wasting his time. I get that. I just think a lot more people would have been upset if he had taken a breather before making the video. Take a step back. There wasn't a ton of backlash around the first two FFXIV videos after all. As I said above though it isn't a secret that he had to go away for a while because of his blood pressure and how angry he gets playing awful MMO's.  

(abridged: ran out of characters)
    Feigning concern over someone's health as an excuse to try and disqualify negative opinions of a video game. Now that's really classy. You're really next level.

You know, I don't know who's worse at this point. You, or the people who come right out and attack. At least who attack directly do so with teeth bared. You come along bearing a smile and fake concern.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    Buschkatze