Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game still alive?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
whats the update on this game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    18 more months of course, what else?

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

On a more serious note, much of the info on DU is shared through video, but for those who prefer to read their news the old fashioned way this is one of the better sources I've found.

Notable highlights this year include the 30K player / bot test on a single planet back in March and the launching of the largest player made ship.

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited April 2019
    can someone explain the ....... lack of better words here but why do i want to play this game ? like is this an Atlas and empyrion mixed together ???? and i throw atlas in there because they said what , 30k people could play at once but that wasnt actually true but anyway and in empyrion you have big universe with as many worlds and space as you want and customize building this i believe the best i have played but these are both dead games ......so why would i want to play this , dont get me wrong , i want to play this lol but ...... i hope this makes sense to someone that understands where i was trying to go with this post

• CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    edited May 2019
    Game is in Alpha1, full steam ahead and they just opened a second Studio in Montreal and are hiring more people.
    Its a mix between Space Engineers/Empyrion as a single-shard sandbox MMO. So if You like to build starships and buildings, mine, craft, trade or script in Lua, in a persistent online space universe, this game could be for You.
    Splooshii

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Costanius said:
    Game is in Alpha1, full steam ahead and they just opened a second Studio in Montreal and are hiring more people.
    Its a mix between Space Engineers/Empyrion as a single-shard sandbox MMO. So if You like to build starships and buildings, mine, craft, trade or script in Lua, in a persistent online space universe, this game could be for You.
    there will be combat too it just not in yet
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2019
    Apparently you missed today's developer update. Alpha 2 begins July 10th.

https://www.mmorpg.com/dual-universe/videos/dual-universe-dev-diary-alpha-2-july-1000006634
    Phry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Raxeon said:
    Costanius said:
    there will be combat too it just not in yet
    Err, combat is not something one just "adds in," at least not if its expected to be much more than a mini game tack on.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Game looks interesting but they lose me at montlhy subs and no player run servers.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Asm0deus said:
    Game looks interesting but they lose me at montlhy subs and no player run servers.
    So... two hallmarks of an actual MMORPG cause you to lose interest? 
    LimnicmoshraKyleranGreatnessNegativeJoe

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Asm0deus said:
    One of the selling points of DU is the single shard server technology, everyone is in the same world.
    LimnicKyleranGreatness

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• UilnaydarUilnaydar Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Asm0deus said:
    ... and monthly sub pulls me in. Net zero.
    Greatness
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    edited July 2019
    There are amazing things done in DU at the moment and some official videos are available. Go to their News page for several videos https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/  Newtons Folly from April is a good one.

Post edited by Knytta on
    Limnic

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited July 2019
    See, that's why people calling non-MMO games an MMO is a problem.

You get people that act all confused when an MMO actually crops up.
    Post edited by Limnic on
    KnyttaKyleran
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    This game looks really good, and i like the ideas they are trying to put into the game. my only fear is that it wont release for 10 years.....
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited July 2019
    Well I don't see those two things as "hallmarks" of a mmorpg at least not anymore and I am not willing to pay a sub for games anymore and prefer private run servers.

Dunno why some people are acting all "argh grrr" about that, like I said it looks interesting but those two things make me say pass for what I am looking for in a mmorpg.

Besides sounds more like a sandbox survival game..just it's set in space so dunno if I really see this as a mmorpg to be honest.

While it may be a selling point for some people it's not for others.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Knytta said:
    There are amazing things done in DU at the moment and some official videos are available. 

Lol did I see flying school busses in that video?
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Asm0deus said:
    Well I don't see those two things as "hallmarks" of a mmorpg at least not anymore and I am not willing to pay a sub for games anymore and prefer private run servers.

Dunno why some people are acting all "argh grrr" about that, like I said it looks interesting but those two things make me say pass for what I am looking for in a mmorpg.

Besides sounds more like a sandbox survival game..just it's set in space so dunno if I really see this as a mmorpg to be honest.

While it may be a selling point for some people it's not for others.
    Well for one, not all MMOs are MMORPGs.

MMO servers and scale kinda require hardware that the average person does not have, even the more nerdy folk aren't going to just always have a server rack in their house or rented out.

But back to noting, a sandbox survival can be an MMO. For the express reason in this case of it being a megaserver style setup. And honestly it's not like the RPG part of MMORPG is a high technical bar. Put some narrative and a progression system in and boom, basic RPG.

For two, not all RPGs with multiplayer are MMORPGs. If you're using smaller player lobbies/servers, it's generally not an MMORPG(or more specifically, not an MMO).

Only caveat to that is if it's actually a dedicated massively multiplayer title that a player happens to be hosting. However, you'll note that when you get into that territory, it's generally not the case that players are doing so because the studio intended it that way.

It's just quirky to say one is looking for a non-MMO trait in an MMO.
    Kyleran
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    This is my hopeful of hopefuls right now-

I'm not ready to bite the bullet and pay $60 for an alpha (especially when I have a backlog of other unfinished EA games) but I am watching this one closely.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    newbismx said:
    This is my hopeful of hopefuls right now-

I'm not ready to bite the bullet and pay $60 for an alpha (especially when I have a backlog of other unfinished EA games) but I am watching this one closely.

its not really a early access game its an alpha
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited July 2019
    i tried this an alpha ago and unless you just want to support the game its along way off yet. you can mine build stuff and fly it round but its slow and buggy as it is not another star citizen which i doubt well ever see a decent game there, this has mass potential and they are working hard on it.if your not running windows 10 with a high end pc dont bother though is resource hog
  • charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    edited July 2019
    People pay subs for games like Eve Online and World of Warcraft and their subs cost more,  Subs is what makes a game work, when a game is free or has player run servers they tend to not do as well, Because with free you get the wrong type of people jumping in causing trouble, And player run servers you get no server that is permanent, Where in DU, if you built a base and then stop playing for a few months and then come back, Your base will still be there.