Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Fishing for Ideas - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2 Fishing for Ideas - MMORPG.com

We’ve murdered Mordremoth, cracked Kralkatorrik, and seen off Zhaitan. Dragon Bash is in full swing and eventually we are going to have to accept that it’s going to happen. We are going to have to face off against Steve. It’s more than six years into Guild Wars 2 and those of us playing this long know that eventually, we’re going to have to take down the deep-sea dragon.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I remember playing classic wow and actually believing i was catching more firefin snappers (they sold for alot on my server) on the light house island just off murloc beach in Westfall. What made Vanilla wow fishing so enjoyable for me was the unkown. At that point the internet wasn't quite the information and spoiler machine it is today. Sure i was wasting hours on a system i believed existed that actually did not but i was having a blast with the illusion of a organic living breathing underwater ecosystem in WOW. Cut me a break i was new to MMO's at the time and didn't understand they weren't quite that advanced. But WOW sure sold it well.

I honestly believed certain area's in the game would yield more fish, Also if i remember correctly you could catch crates back then with gear inside which i think they removed at some point because of bots and gold farmers.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is the only way to successfully implement a interesting fishing system is to keep it as varied and RNG as possible. Engaging the player to enjoy the scenery only lasts so long but engaging the player of what he or she might catch is something entirely different. How they do that I don't know.
    Amathe
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited July 2019
    I hear there are lots of fish in the Jade Sea. Can we go fish there?  ;)
    FolmensomeforumguyJilynaOctagon7711sumdumguy1AI724
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I remember when WoW had not yet been released, and many people, myself included, were following it. Some Dev did a post about how great fishing was and all the good stuff you could get from it. Which resulted in a nerf to fishing before it ever made it to market.

Still, WoW fishing is better than fishing in any other game I have played.
    retiredmjJeffSpicoli

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I used to love fishing in wow. I spent *so* many hours clicking, I'd level up just so I could go fish in higher level zones.
    JeffSpicoli
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019
    I hope they add fishing. When i'm not doing story stuff in GW2 i have to take long breaks because i usually don't do other content in mmos.

I would surely spend more time in game fishing if it was available instead of playing other mmos. I like fishing in WoW but i'd be more interested if GW2 did it as cooking is always the crafting job i pick on most characters.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I actually fished on my warrior in WoW to make food. The stats added helped me a lot together with cooking. In the vanilla game I was maxxed out on fishing and cooking. The quests were interesting too and a lot of the time I was lower level than the areas I had to go to, to advance my fishing and I braved it for my hobby.
    AmatheJeffSpicolikitarad
    Chamber of Chains

cheyane said:

I actually fished on my warrior in WoW to make food. The stats added helped me a lot together with cooking. In the vanilla game I was maxxed out on fishing and cooking. The quests were interesting too and a lot of the time I was lower level than the areas I had to go to, to advance my fishing and I braved it for my hobby.

I missed this in my long winded response. You are 100 % correct i forgot all about that. Fishing was not only useful but required for some classes & or builds pre raid night. That was another cool indirect feature of classic WOW, Your downtime between raids were spent gathering and crafting for said raid. You prepared for the upcoming battle, it was all really fun and felt meaningful.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I've never understood why people like tacked on fishing in games. I mean, a proper dedicated fishing game can be really good.. but to just press fish, wait and press catch. Can't think of anything worse for myself. I've never liked it in any of them.

I'm sure if ANet did add fishing it wouldn't be your bog standard MMO fishing. There'd be something innovative about it. Absolutely no way would they accept generic MMO fishing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited July 2019
    Ugh fishing in games tend to just be a huge timesink/grind to get hard to get items....not a big fan of it due to the grind that usually comes with it. I particularly dislike the afk fishing crap where you need to leave your PC and game client running even when not playing or gone to work just to afk fish for them items you want/need.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

I've never understood why people like tacked on fishing in games. I mean, a proper dedicated fishing game can be really good.. but to just press fish, wait and press catch. Can't think of anything worse for myself. I've never liked it in any of them.

While this is true you don't find it immersive to run by another player fishing ingame ? Cause i kinda do. I guess what I'm trying to say is although you dont enjoy the act of MMO fishing while others do , you dont get any enjoyment or immersion while running by other players doing it ? I feel like it benefits everyone having it ingame
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Yeah, could go fishing *yawn*..... or could do something original?
    Radoo
  • MindTrickedMindTricked Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I've been thinking how neat it'd be to fish in GW2 for years now. There are a ton of waterways and lakes and seas, a crap-ton of lore that would make random rewards interesting, and fish could add new recipes to cooking. I've fished in UO, WoW, and LotRO, and GW2 really lends itself to some sort of fishing system.
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Lol, GW2 always late to the party. No raids at launch then mounts as their second expansion. Would be kind of fitting if they manage to make a good feature out of fishing at this point.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Why not go beyond that. Add personal boats that are as cool as the mounts we have in GW2. :p That way a new zone could be all sea, with underwater caves and you use your boat as floating base. From which you can fish too.
    Octagon7711gelraen
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Out of all the things the game desperately needs, fishing is nowhere near the top of the list.
    velimiriusbamwallaRadoo
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I might have stayed longer if it had fishing.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Aenghas said:
    Lol, GW2 always late to the party. No raids at launch then mounts as their second expansion. Would be kind of fitting if they manage to make a good feature out of fishing at this point.
    They weren't really late to the party. They added Raids and mounts in GW2 due to high demand from players. GW1 was never about raiding and has no mounts either. GW2 was following a similar path until it changed direction, but i see your point. It would surely be fitting as it seems to be a pattern.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Bring it on. "Game over" fishes!
    The Character Mugshot thread

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

While this is true you don't find it immersive to run by another player fishing ingame ? Cause i kinda do. I guess what I'm trying to say is although you dont enjoy the act of MMO fishing while others do , you dont get any enjoyment or immersion while running by other players doing it ? I feel like it benefits everyone having it ingame
    That can be immersive.. but then you run past 50+ people fishing in the same spot and that has the complete opposite effect.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I would love to fish in GW2. There are times when I stop to stare at beautiful waterfall and wondering how much fun it would be to be able to fish here. Anet, please add fishing.

• LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Fishing...why not?
    Fishing is relaxing ^^
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2019
    Or......

Gardening
    Flying kites
    knitting
    Origami

In FFXIV I play Triple Triad, a card game many NPCs play too all over the world once you’ve unlocked it. You can get high level cards and currency as a reward. Its like digital crack and an awesome time waste. You can also play against PCs of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I just love games that give very distinctive looks or art to their fishes. In this respect FFXIV takes the prize. I just love looking at what I caught in my inventory and attractive art and colours help me like to fish even more.

My fishing in FFXI helped me farm enough to buy my red mage refresh spell.
    cheyane

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

Why not go beyond that. Add personal boats that are as cool as the mounts we have in GW2. :p That way a new zone could be all sea, with underwater caves and you use your boat as floating base. From which you can fish too.

This! I’ve had the same thing on my mind for a while, this would be awesome. If you played Archeage at all, there were serious problems with the game, but having your own sailboat was an amazing feeling.