Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netflix Offers a First Look at The Witcher Series Cast Members - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Torval said:
    "The worst monsters are the ones we create.. At Netflix"

Meh, this will be a shit show, I'm calling it now, not because I think the show will be inherently bad, but rather because its going to have to serve too many masters. The book fans VS the game fans. And both against people like the rabid Got fans looking for their next angry fix.
    Yep. Additionally, the existence of 2 different established worlds is going to make it even more difficult for this to create its own identity.

It reminds me of the Blade Runner quandary.  Which version do people like,"Blade Runner" or "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? What's the real version? What version do people judge other works by?

I've got to admit. I didn't like Blade Runner 2049. Rare opinion, I know. But the sound mixing was some of the worst I've ever heard (with dialogue practically whispering and the music cutting in at ear drum breaking volumes). We were having to constantly adjust the volume and the result killed the movie for us.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:

Meh, this will be a shit show, I'm calling it now, not because I think the show will be inherently bad, but rather because its going to have to serve too many masters. The book fans VS the game fans. And both against people like the rabid Got fans looking for their next angry fix.
    Yep. Additionally, the existence of 2 different established worlds is going to make it even more difficult for this to create its own identity.

It reminds me of the Blade Runner quandary.  Which version do people like,"Blade Runner" or "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? What's the real version? What version do people judge other works by?

I'm easy. I liked them both. Same with Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books and Altered Carbon the TV series. I'll judge this Witcher after I watch it.

Incidentally anyone who hasn't watched the two seasons (3rd and last one next year) of a German Scifi series called Dark run to your Netflix device and watch that sucker. Totally not on my radar but started watching because it looked mildly interesting and was hooked. Great show.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I'm easy. I liked them both. Same with Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books and Altered Carbon the TV series. I'll judge this Witcher after I watch it.

Incidentally anyone who hasn't watched the two seasons (3rd and last one next year) of a German Scifi series called Dark run to your Netflix device and watch that sucker. Totally not on my radar but started watching because it looked mildly interesting and was hooked. Great show.
    Altered carbon was not so bad. Although they took some license on the story in comparison to the books but it was acceptable.

tawess said:
    Well... it can´t be worse then the chronicles of Sha-nay-nay...

So it got that going for it...
    @tawess I loved the books but when I saw snippets(husband was watching) I decided no way am I going to ruin the books for myself, so I didn't watch it.

The Dark is indeed very good. I watched the first season as soon as it came out when I read the description and I dragged my husband to watch it too. Watching 2nd season now.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • skakrukskakruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    So much for gold clashing with Yen's complexion...
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I’m not optimistic about this being done justice but I will end up checking it out. I’m much more excited for the Devil May Cry Netflix series!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    tawess said:
    Well... it can´t be worse then the chronicles of Sha-nay-nay...

So it got that going for it...
    Yeah... have to agree.  They took one of my favorite books and turned it into some horrendous abomination in order to check off boxes.

I'm holding out hope for The Witcher but it's got some danger signals flashing brightly.

[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2019
    Honestly, it just looks like a Lord of the Rings arc vs an actual Witcher series. I really wanted Cavil to pull it off (visually at least) but for me, he still looks way too much like a Legalos. The other cast members dont really help much with that either. I mean I'll still watch a little bit of it and I like Cavil's overall acting, just the visual appeal isn't doing it for me. Maybe if Cavil at least has stubble or something it might work a bit better, not really a full on beard, but yeah Cavil does look better in terms of this roll if he had a beard.
    I would've been more sold if he looked like this.

I am afraid it will be too adult like GoT was.
    My wife and I dont watch things too risque which is one of the many reasons I'm not a fan of the Witcher series of games. (Among many other reasons)
    I am sure many people like it for that reason but call me a prude but I see no reason for it. 
    I am all for a large budget fantasy show though. Perhaps we can get a Forgotten Realms show or even better a Ravenloft series. 
    One can dream.....

GOT went overboard with the T&A when they really didn't need to. I saw it as basically a show about medieval political intrigue and that emphasis is what made it stand out from the typical fantasy show that emphasizes the magical and supernatural and just mails in the politics at a grade 6 level.

But what really made it a stand out show for me was the production quality. It's really rare on TV to have fantasy done on anything other than a shoestring budget and GOT was definitely big budget stuff. That horrible Shannara adaptation is more like what we usually get.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I think it looks good, he's a good actor on top of having the look for the part. Reading some of these comments you would think there is only one game and nothing came before it.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If you had a choice would you rather: 

• An actor who looks more like Geralt with less acting chops
    • A decent actor, but Geralt has a booty chin

Discuss.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • kotu107kotu107 Member UncommonPosts: 10

jj7009 said:

Chargeous said:

Actually in the book there is no additional sword. It made up in the games as I know.

It's to bad the folks at cd project red created the only thing close to originality involving the witcher. (Their team did a great job) The book series is an extended work of plagiarism stealing almost all ideas aside from naming conventions from the Elric Of Melnibone series by Michael MoorCock.

Back when moorcock wrote mostly pulp, Andrzej Sapkowski was the editor and translator for Science Fantasy's Polish branch. He left at the height of the publication's popularity and the height of Elric of Melnibone's popularity.

Now to the "plagiarism". I don't know what it is with fantasy writers that so many of them are just dicks. Yes, Moorcock filed a lawsuit againts Sapkowski for plagiarism. And guess what, nothing happened because there was no groud for it. Many sources claim he didn't even read Witcher series, but filed the lawsuit because many poeple had been telling him Geralt is a ripoff of Elric (main character from his book series). I didn't 100% verify if that's how it happened but nevertheless he never mentioned it again.

It is true that both heroes are white-haired mutants that wield cool swords with runes and have the same nick name - White Wolf. And....that it that. It's so incredibly superficial that I don't even understand how are people getting butthurt over this. So for more info, Elric is powerful mage elven hero (emperor in fact) that wields soul eating sentient sword and is addicted to drugs. Their personalities are nothing alike.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2019
    I am sure that Netflix will be happy if those familiar with the books or the games drive interest in the show. Ultimately, however, Netflix are after a much bigger worldwide audience.

With that in mind it will be interesting to see what they have done. For example: did they cast HC because they think he has a higher profile than Mads? I hope they didn't. I hope Mads wasn't cast because he was busy - but I wonder.

At the very least it should be fun. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

Dark even had English audio so your don't have to watch it and eat sauerkraut at the same time. ;)
    [Deleted User]
     I am afraid it will be too adult like GoT was.
    My wife and I dont watch things too risque which is one of the many reasons I'm not a fan of the Witcher series of games. (Among many other reasons)
    I am sure many people like it for that reason but call me a prude but I see no reason for it. 
    I am all for a large budget fantasy show though. Perhaps we can get a Forgotten Realms show or even better a Ravenloft series. 
    One can dream.....

TV and film don't do fantasy, so not much chance of that; you can have a dash of fantasy in a modern day setting but that's your lot. Meanwhile science fiction is storming along, rather spoilt for choice.

[Deleted User]
  • der_bayer36der_bayer36 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Meh, we never had a good game based movie anyway.
    JeffSpicoli
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited July 2019
    Meh, we never had a good game based movie anyway.
    It's not game based, it's book based. Not like it makes any difference in this case, I'm fully expecting it be garbage, but still.
    Post edited by Xarko on
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

Dark even had English audio so your don't have to watch it and eat sauerkraut at the same time. ;)
    The English dub is excellent too.

I've watched quite a few foreign language series on Netflix - there seem to be especially a lot of Scandinavian shows - and a lot of those are subtitles only with occasionally some bad dubs. It's actually quite funny sometimes if you listen to the English dub and also have the subtitles on when what they say and and what the subtitles show are totally different things :)

Dark's not like that: you get pretty well the same dialogue with the dub or subtitles.
    [Deleted User]Scot

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    To all those who said the similarities with Elric are superficial. Science fantasy of which the witcher author was an editor and translator while it published elric.

MC is called the white wolf
    MC is a monster hunting wanderer with few friends but plenty of lovers
    MC is an outcast to society due to his appearance
    THE CONJUGATION OF A MILLION SPHERES (Google it)

If you think this is superficial than Mikey Mouse is a wholly original character with no relation to another mouse named mickey. Mikey and his Dog Uranus plus his best friend Doland Duck and Wacky. 
    jj7009 said:
    To all those who said the similarities with Elric are superficial. Science fantasy of which the witcher author was an editor and translator while it published elric.

If you think this is superficial than Mikey Mouse is a wholly original character with no relation to another mouse named mickey. Mikey and his Dog Uranus plus his best friend Doland Duck and Wacky. 
    If Elric did not exist you would be saying Geralt was similar to Aragorn (outdoorsman, could be last of his kind, the Dundedain of the north used to be far more powerful). You can always make these comparisons. You may well be right, it is the certainty that gets me, you did not read the authors brain did you? :)
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Scot said:
    jj7009 said:

If Elric did not exist you would be saying Geralt was similar to Aragorn (outdoorsman, could be last of his kind, the Dundedain of the north used to be far more powerful). You can always make these comparisons. You may well be right, it is the certainty that gets me, you did not read the authors brain did you? :)
    Come on man atleast do what I ask before you try to refute me. Google the conjugation of a million spheres. That is such a trippy specific and original idea. If your telling me that Witcher author came up with that concept, it’s completely identical to both name and function to one in another work with with a protagonist so similar to his (although the setting could be argued as different) then I don’t know what plagiarism is in your book.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Unfortunately, even if such is true, it's stupidly difficult to prove beyond shadow of a doubt such things as far as legal bounds are concerned. I mean that's why CBS has thus-far gotten away with ripping off giant teleporting tardigrades and other sci-fi shows, because apparently there's a "reasonable amount" that can be liberated bluntly from other media so long as the bulk of the content is not from the same source or is original content.

Which I find pretty curious as far as a legal precedence goes.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited July 2019
    jj7009 said:

Superficial means just that "superficial." Essentially the Surface.

The characters resemble each other, have used Sorcery to alter themselves and take potions.

But they don't come from the same type of lineage as far as I can see, use potions quite differently (Elric to actually just stay alive) and have different motivations.

Elric was supplanted from the throne by his cousin, leads the young kingdoms to overthrow his homeland/city and scatter his people, requires the use of a demon sword to feed him souls and to eventually use it to bring down his own Chaos Lords and usher in the era of Law.

If you were to cut out "Elric" and just say "A character" and then ask who it was no one would say "well, it does smell to high heaven of Geralt of Rivea."

"Superficial."

If you want to say he used the Superficialities of Elric to jumpstart his character then sure. Like I said, when I first saw the Witcher game the first thing that came to mind when looking at the screen shots was "Elric?" but then you learn about the character and none of it is Elric.

ScotPhry
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    jj7009 said:
    Scot said:
    jj7009 said:

Come on man atleast do what I ask before you try to refute me. Google the conjugation of a million spheres. That is such a trippy specific and original idea. If your telling me that Witcher author came up with that concept, it’s completely identical to both name and function to one in another work with with a protagonist so similar to his (although the setting could be argued as different) then I don’t know what plagiarism is in your book.
    He probably did nab that idea, Tolkien got a lot of his from old English and Norse legends. All authors do this, the one you describe was a more blatant lift. The books, games and hopefully the TV series will still make for good entertainment.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Apparently the author is involved, though given the casting of certain characters in the Netflix version, it seems more paying for the name than anything. If there is one thing that stands out from all this, is that CDPR have taken the concept and improved upon it for their games, i am not sure that the same can be said for the Netflix version which seems to be engaging in some dodgy politics, could be another Star Trek Discovery. :/
    Scot