Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proposed Chinese Game Rules Would Strictly Define What Can Be Shown to Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageProposed Chinese Game Rules Would Strictly Define What Can Be Shown to Players

The People's Daily, the "mouthpiece" for the Chinese government, has published a number of proposed rules to regulate game content. The published draft is a collaborative effort between Chinese governmental agencies and several gaming corporations including NetEase, Perfect World and Tencent. Under the proposed rules, gamers would be divided according to age (below 6, 12, 16, 18+), each category with its own subset of 'guidelines'.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    Lame.
    FolmenrojoArcueidinfomatz
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Good reason to ignore the chinese market generally, pandering to the chinese market has done more than enough damage to gaming already.
    SBFordRain_DeathravenKyleranJeffSpicoliFolmenalkarionloggastovski1[Deleted User]rojoArcueidChildoftheShadowsand 4 others.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    And people want western governments to get involved in the hobby...
    SBFordKyleranJeffSpicoliFolmengastovski1infomatz

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited July 2019
    Phry said:
    Good reason to ignore the chinese market generally, pandering to the chinese market has done more than enough damage to gaming already.
    China is big money because of the sheer size of potential gamers so no one is going to ignore them.

The requests are peculiar though. I guess Bioware is out.
    Solancer
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

cheyane said:

Phry said:

China is big money because of the sheer size of potential gamers so no one is going to ignore them.

The requests are peculiar though. I guess Bioware is out.

Its mostly mobile, few actually have PC's or Consoles etc. while as a whole there is a lot of money involved, individually they are cash poor, in part this is why censorship, on all kinds of subjects etc. is a huge factor.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "It is not permitted..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Presumably they also have plans to "enforce" the age limits ?

It's one thing to define a range of age brackets with "appropriate" content for each, but how do you ensure the player is in the correct age group for your game ? Then again, it's China, I'm sure they'll find a way... :wink:
  • XA20XXA20X Member UncommonPosts: 22
    So, I guess this is where I show my ugly american side but I have to know.. what does this mean for domestic markets back home? Given that most game devs are already pandering to the Chinese markets, does this mean moving forward that we're not going to get to have anymore classic bioware experiences again? Because you know EA isn't going to let bioware offend entire potential markets.

I guess my real question is this, is this going to affect what we get to see back here at home? And if so, to what degree?
    KyleranRich84cheebaSabracinfomatzTacticalZombeh
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    So basicaly no Cyberpunk 2077 for them. This is sad ...
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274
    One guess is that current games with in-game marriages that are also played in China will have to remove it if they want to keep the game in China's market.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited July 2019
    Baffled at China's censorship of something as benign as romance or marriage. Sexual content I get (disagree with, but get), but censorship of marriage is just strange.
    SabracTacticalZombeh
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Mock and ridicule as you will. More and more of Western games adapt to the Chinese rules. It's obvious that if we leave the genre in Western hands, it barely progresses. You guys barely spend anything anymore.

Just leave it to us and the rest of Asia to carry the whole genre and maybe we'll be kind enough to translate our games to English. Which makes no difference to us because we speak your language, but you don't speak ours.
    AeanderKylerandruezWhiteLanternk61977infomatz
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited July 2019
    I fail to see any connection between these new rules and China's "increasingly aggressive stance against gaming addiction."

Well of course unless the plan is to suck all of the fun out of games, then perhaps it does relate after all.

:D
    SBFord[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Kyleran said:
    I fail to see any connection between these new rules and China's "increasingly aggressive stance against gaming addiction."

Well of course unless the plan is to suck all of the fun out of games, then perhaps it does relate after all.

Well, unfortunately, the proposed rules won't translate as they appear to be images instead of text. I'm sure that additional rules include time restrictions. One of the things the original article mentioned was that kids under 6 aren't allowed to play alone. How that would be enforced remains to be seen. 

Still, sucking the fun out of games would certainly reduce game play time....sorta worked on me with WoW these days. :D
    KyleranSabracinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Aeander said:

Baffled at China's censorship of something as benign as romance or marriage. Sexual content I get (disagree with, but get), but censorship of marriage is just strange.

Doing a bit of looking it seems "romance" is a capitalist concept.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2019
    I'm watching these weekend protests in Portland on youtube with these hipster types marching with a communist flag and signs for women & lgbt rights and then i read stories like this about China . What am i missing here ?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ccmclaughccmclaugh Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Why highlight the rules about sex? The truly pernicious thing that the Chinese government wants to do is to control the political ideas and expressions of gamers (and everyone else).
    Sovrath said:

Aeander said:

Do communists reproduce by budding?
    edited July 2019
    Even if they do not have the content that encourages romance since they seem to have some desire to discourage it but what is to prevent people from using chat and having some serious cyber sex. How are they going to monitor that ?

Sorry a thought just occurred to me on that score and chills ran down my spine.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited July 2019
    XA20X said:
    So, I guess this is where I show my ugly american side but I have to know.. what does this mean for domestic markets back home? Given that most game devs are already pandering to the Chinese markets, does this mean moving forward that we're not going to get to have anymore classic bioware experiences again? Because you know EA isn't going to let bioware offend entire potential markets.

I guess my real question is this, is this going to affect what we get to see back here at home? And if so, to what degree?
    They make two different games, they will edit out the romance bits. I think they just take out the conversation options. It shouldn't be that difficult. Surely you don't think they would actually develop some moral fibre and not market there, money is money after all.

It's easy to tell yourself that if the people living there do not want their games to be regulated in this fashion they would do something but considering the various other aspects that go unchecked the people there seem powerless.

What's happening in Hong Kong should be supported in full.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited July 2019
    skadad said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:

Aeander said:

Do communists reproduce by budding?
    reproduction and romance are not linked.
    Quick, everyone, to the government sanctioned dispassionate reproduction pile! But don't you dare enjoy yourselves!
    [Deleted User]
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154

SBFord said:

Kyleran said:

Well, unfortunately, the proposed rules won't translate as they appear to be images instead of text. I'm sure that additional rules include time restrictions. One of the things the original article mentioned was that kids under 6 aren't allowed to play alone. How that would be enforced remains to be seen. 

Still, sucking the fun out of games would certainly reduce game play time....sorta worked on me with WoW these days. :D

Um, enforced? They just come into your home.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is a very odd rule set,a VERY odd one.
    This seems to be doing more to target sexism,a very big problem in all of society,commercial ads,marketing is using sexism all the time.

However ,they allow underage children/girls in what we would call bars,older men establishments,so they seem to be hypocrites.Look at their music industry,full of sexism,to the MAX,full of young girl music acts,all dressed kind of sleazy.

I would be all for say a rule set that tries to thwart cell phone/gaming addictions for say anyone under the age of 20.Time limits,very short ones for cell phones,internet usage cut down to maybe 2 hours a day.

I see a very big problem with all of society edging closer to a bunch of pixel screen junkies,selfies,Pokemon Go,Harry Potter,everyone walks around with their cell phone like it a must have in life.Sure i still see some people getting out of the house or trying to do things not related to screens but the numbers are small,i would say the majority are already ADDICTED like an alcoholic.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    lol, well, there goes the asian gaming market  :)

the west will rise!
    [Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"