Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheLazyPeon talks about Final Fantasy XIV

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
I will just quote from the video description. :/

"Not sure how it's possible to design such a boring leveling experience in an MMO, It's easily the worst I've experienced so far."

Tokken[Deleted User]

Comments

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Everyone has different taste in MMOs. To each their own. I like FFXIV and the story driven quests. The End game is crazy fun, better than most.

Quicksand[Deleted User]foppoteeBuschkatze

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited July 2019
    Not a fan of FFXIV. I regret buying it.... waste of money.  I agree with the Peon, but I am not a fan of Asian games in general... too many cutesy animations and grind.
    Rain_DeathravensausagemixBuschkatze[Deleted User]Mustikos

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited July 2019
    I watch alot of Lazy's videos and agree with alot of what he says, this not so much.

FFXIV's leveling is honestly no worse then WoW, GW2, ESO, SWToR, insert really any other non-sandbox mmo.

Can level with story quest, side quest, dungeons, open world events, hunts, daily roulettes, Heavens on-high/deep dungeons, or with pvp. Has more options then most games do to be honest.

It is heavily story based and if you take a break and come back months/years later you will have dozens of hours of story to play through, if you need to level as well you potentially looking at 50+hrs. (no way around this play for the story, or buy the skip potion. But again why buy a game then pay to skip it?)

If your goal is to rush through lvling... then yes FFXIV will be horribly annoying because the game is gated behind story.

As for the story telling being bad, only mmo I know remotely in the same league of story is maby SWToR and I would say it is a few tiers below xiv, ffxiv far eclipses every other mmo in the story telling aspect easily. Yes my opinion, but it seems most people who review mmos agree that FFXIV is either top 2 or the genre leader in story. I greatly disagree with Lazy on this.

Take it or leave it I guess. If you do not like the story or you do not like the battle system by the start of Heavensward you will probably hate the game.

A Lot wrong with FFXIV in my opinion, but lvling speed is not one of them. And story well it is leading the genre atm.

Azaron_NightbladeBuschkatze
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This needed its own thread eh?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2019
    I'm with Peon. I don't know why people claim it's 'story driven' and that's why it's good. I see absolutely 100% no more story than any other MMO. Kill Primals to get the things we need and fetch quests... 50+ hours later... Heavensward, just as boring despite everyone saying it gets loads better.

I quit about 15 hours into Heavenward and will never play again. No story is worth that much wasted time even if it does get interesting... eventually. Better to just read a story summary on a website.
    Rain_DeathravenRemaliTokkentweedledumb99Signex[Deleted User]DragpzBuschkatzeMustikos
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    "Started out as a rogue"  :open_mouth: (need 1 level 10 class quest done and msq aroubd lvl 16)
    Level70 (ilvl385) gear you can buy for gil or tome of poetics.

I like that "dark" story in shb. Ffxiv is well known for almost everything locked behind the msq.

The lvling isnt that boring imo, you can do levesquests, dungeon grind, roulettes, potd/hoh, fates, in shb non msq are sync to your level.
    Buschkatze

I'm quite curious as to why I keep hearing people saying that the end game is amazing in FFXIV. There's really only a handful of 'challenging' (Savage fights really being the only 'challenging' thing, but I guess some people find extreme primals challenging, ultimate remains to be seen if they'll adhere to a schedule this time around, but that's really just 1 more fight with reskinned rewards) things you can do in the game every 6 months unless I've missed something playing this game off and on for the past 6 years. I'm genuinely interested in knowing what this amazing endgame is in FFXIV.
    Buschkatze
    End game is glamour.

But I think for most its the gear grind compared to other mmos.

You got primals, trails, alliance raids, normal raids and hard modes of some of those.

Eureka, hoh achvemnts, housing, gold saucer, fishing and more. Just do whatever end games means for you.
    Azaron_NightbladeBuschkatze

Nyctelios said:
    :shrug: People claim it is story based because it is. It is an on rails theme park mmorpg and, above it all, it is a Final Fantasy game to the letter - You'll walk, and read and read, and walk, kill some stuff, anime plot lines... I sincerely don't know what some here expected from it besides what the game is and is not afraid to be.

The story goes on and on, saying it does not evolve just show how your spite twist any rational judgement: If you get going with the MSQs and stop to remember how group and plot was patches behind - or even in flashbacks - you'll get yourself remembering characters and how they were different, with different motivations and so on. The story really goes on and "keep killing the same primals" is just the Hard, EX, Savage variants which are not MSQs, they are side activities.

Not a single marketing piece claims anything other than what people are pointing fingers and accusing the game of being as if the game tricked them into thinking the experience was something else.
    I hate hearing that "FFXIV is a story driven mmorpg" as well.....like FFXI didn't exist or something (which XIV has to thank its rebuild to btw, they had to get the funds from somewhere). Even a game as old as that didn't gate you as hardcore as XIV which blows my mind. I mean, I know Yoshida isn't stupid, its just a shame that they have a problem and decide to sell you the solution (boost past it instead of trimming useless arcs like the build up to Ramuh or the moogle garbage) instead of actually fix the problem. Since boosts exist, they could easily just make it that the next arc flags when you hit a certain level (oh idk, like wow does for instance, but I forgot WoW is a mmorpg without a story).

I'd also really like to know who determines what a 'good' story is exactly? I might be wrong in thinking this but that's entirely subjective.....Obviously the development team doesn't think that they're story is so good since only fragments are voiced and then just drop at pretty important ports (end of Stormblood was infuriating and dont even get me started on important tid-bits that they like to leave after an expansion's credit, yet dont get voiced). I wished they'd stop being so damn cheap while also trying to dig deeper into people's wallets at the same time.
    Buschkatze
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited July 2019
    This is not going to be your game if you want to rush to endgame.

The comment section in his video clearly sums that.
    Roin[Deleted User]Buschkatze

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited July 2019
    Played at launch and leveled a Scholar to around level 40 before I gave it up. Seems like not much has changed. A lot of what he complains about today are things I did not like back then. 
    Buschkatze
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Arterius said:
    I disagree. I also love Lazy Peon but he has hated FFXIV for a long time. FFXIV is a story based MMO if your not into the story of course your not going to like the game. For me FFXIV has one of the best stories in a MMO.

I mean to be fair I am surprised he even went back to the game... He didn't like the game in 2015 when he played it either. Anything to get those clicks though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xcgxy6uMeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFiHMufzkg
    I've liked him "more" as time has gone by and he's become less petulant.

I'll actually seek his videos now as before It was just temper tantrums.

Having said that, he touts World of Warcraft as having a better leveling experience. Can't say, from where I sit, that World of Warcraft was any more compelling. I found it as dull as I found Final Fantasy's leveling. 

I think the Story for Final Fantasy is "better" as far as stories go but that's subjective.
    MrMelGibsonBuschkatze
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited July 2019
    looks like he took the vid down, too much backlash maybe?
    Buschkatze
    Rich84 said:
    He shouldn't have removed it. If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.
    [Deleted User]Gdemamifoppoteebartoni33cheeba[Deleted User]Buschkatze
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited July 2019
    Rich84 said:
    He shouldn't have removed it. If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.
    Yeah, he should have kept it on eventough some of his reasons where pretty lame. 

With that said, I don't know who he talked to that said to him (I'm kinda sceptical about this) that this game is all about endgame. There's quite a few activities to do besides dungeons.
    foppotee

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    TheDarkrayne said:
    If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.
    ...you didn't think this through much, did you?
    [Deleted User]SinsaicheebaBuschkatze
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited July 2019
    Bloodaxes said:
    Rich84 said:
    Yeah, he should have kept it on eventough some of his reasons where pretty lame. 

With that said, I don't know who he talked to that said to him (I'm kinda sceptical about this) that this game is all about endgame. There's quite a few activities to do besides dungeons.
    Getting death threats from the FFXIV zealots isn't a "Lame excuse".    
    Buschkatze
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Arterius said:
    I disagree. I also love Lazy Peon but he has hated FFXIV for a long time. FFXIV is a story based MMO if your not into the story of course your not going to like the game. For me FFXIV has one of the best stories in a MMO.

I mean to be fair I am surprised he even went back to the game... He didn't like the game in 2015 when he played it either. Anything to get those clicks though

It seems to be a game that people either love or hate....Personally, I thought it was one of the worst MMOs I ever played (and I have played some bad ones).....Way too story dominated and way too much on rails...To me, thats like not even playing, but going through the motions.
    Buschkatze
    Endgame is glamour:P I just farmed lvl 79 dungeon for this:

[Deleted User][Deleted User]kertinBuschkatze

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Arterius said:

I like story, but the way in which they delivered it is a bit drab, barely any voice acting or cinematic scenes and a metric crapton of back and fourth fetch quests it is tedium at best I skipped the dialogue after a while just so I could actually play the game.  The gameplay itself is pretty awesome. especially fishing....

Buschkatze
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited July 2019
    Lazy is not a ffxiv fan and it has been that way for awhile. And that is fine. I personally hate alot of the games he has nicer words for.

My only issue with his review is he completely slams FFXIV for things that he gives passes to on other mmos. When they are literally almost 100% identical. Make the review sound completely biased against FFXIV.

He also has alot of false hoods. I have never heard one person say skip the story or buy skip potions as a new player. So the everyone says get them is the opposite of what is told. Honestly it is universally told in game and almost every forum when ppl ask about skipping the story "to NOT do that" because you are skipping the best part of the game and will be lost. Every expansion builds off the prior one, especially ShB they are all interconnected. PPL usually only use skip potions and such on 2nd+ jobs they want to skip the low level lvling portion of the game... which is understandable.

And I and many others horribly disagree with FFXIV's storytelling being bad. It is more or less agreed upon by most reviewers it is the best if not one of the best in the genre.

He has solid criticisms of the game in there that are 100% true:
    1. The beginning of the game is not that good. If you are not a FF fan it will not be as fun as other mmos on the market.
    2. The story in ARR is not bad but not that great either. Limited voice acting, tons of fetch quest, and cliche and cringy at points. This was much improved in HW and beyond, almost a night and day difference.
    3. The storyline is absurdly long, and the game locks new content behind it. 100+hrs to catch up to the new expansion from the start. It should be condensed by getting rid of less important (Fetch Style quest). This is a wall for alot of ppl.
    4. Battle system on really easy content (openworld and dungeons) is more boring then other mmos. In savage/extreme fights honestly with the constant movement and such required you are active 100% of the time.
    Rich84Buschkatze
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    I often watch his videos,i do not agree with a lot but sometimes he does make sense and is very accurate.
    From watching a lot of his videos,i feel it is obvious he has a different ideal for mmorpg's and gaming than i do but maybe is the same for most people.

The beginning,well depends how you look at it.Saying it is not as good as others,name one game that has a good beginning,Wow most certainly does not.Wow is likely the most popular mmorpg on th em arket but has maybe the worst way to introduce a player to a game..land...life.

First up the initial cutscene in FF,the opening movie is AAA,the opening in game movie is ok,nothing great for sure but how many games have still art "many" how many have nothing but drop you down in from of a npc with a yellow marker over it's head.

The combat system early on msot certainly can be boring because just like all other games,they handcuff your character.So to me it doesn't matter in this case if a game is more action based or whatever,it is either way too easy ,like MANY games or your character is so handcuffed you feel like you don't even matter,which is why i detest strong gear stringent game designs.
    As far as story,Square has often made long storylines but also imo owns the rights to the best stories ever delivered,not always but often yes.

To me FFXIV biggest problem or the issue i have is item level gear,instance fights and the sub class system is not nearly as good as FFXI's was.All they needed to do was use FFXI's system and make better use of player to player combos/Renkai/Magic burst systems and not aim for the FAKE looking red carpet "markers".

FFXIV needed to have better loot drops than FFXI,repeat the Besieged idea,best content ever in a mmoprg.Even the Campaigns were a cool idea if done a bit better and with more depth involving the npc's and secrets to unlock them in battle.Just overall more interaction for the players.

Instead it aimed at being closer to Wow than FFXI and that bothers me a lot because Wow is an awful design and being that close to Wow's design is why i am not playing FFXIV.

Buschkatze

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Gdemami said:
    TheDarkrayne said:
    If he only says what people want to hear then he's useless as a content creator.
    ...you didn't think this through much, did you?
    I mean because he gave in. You think he's going to be honest about his opinions in the future now? He's going to go out of his way to avoid upsetting fans from now on.
    Buschkatze
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    I would love to get back in again but sadly I got the 604 error, that mean square enix wont accept my CC.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    why did he remove the video

Buschkatze