Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We Built an INSANE Gaming PC with two RTX 2080 Tis! - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWe Built an INSANE Gaming PC with two RTX 2080 Tis! - MMORPG.com

When it came time to refresh our main test PC, we decided to see just how powerful a system we could build, combining hardware we’d tested a couple pieces of sponsored gear and some extras we purchased just to push it over the top. In the end, we came out with a beastly gaming rig beyond what even we imagined. Ever seen a PC become sentient? Well you just might in our latest PC build.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    wow this is some insane build, did you manage to get the temperature under control? also how about the noise? can you manage to make it silent?
    infomatz
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2019
    Nice...nice and nice,now what,load up Wow or SWTOR that could run on a Pentium 2?
    I am using a low end PC and have no need to upgrade,gaming has been gearing towards very low end games,tons and tons of mobile games and then the Arpg's,board type games,browser games,even the shooters don't have much going on.

Most of the computing seems to be in AI,sure a lot of games are trying to mimic the GTA look with a sort of fake city structure full of 2D buildings but the real draw is the npc AI walking around,talking,interacting.

Personally and imo,there is no reason to be into the high cost nerdy side of building PC's,there is just no need for them right now.
    MikeharojoArcueidMaddog666mcd6993

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    $80 for an NVlink bridge? $180 for extra case fans? Well, you said that the build was insane.
    [Deleted User]sumdumguy1mcd6993Gorwe
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    wow this is some insane build, did you manage to get the temperature under control? also how about the noise? can you manage to make it silent?
    You don't make a silent 700 W build.  The best you can hope for is to make the noise not obnoxious.  It has plenty of fans, so keeping the hardware adequately cooled shouldn't be a problem.  Cooling the room it is in while you're gaming is a separate problem entirely.
    Ozmodanmcd6993
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Quizzical said:

You don't make a silent 700 W build.  The best you can hope for is to make the noise not obnoxious.  It has plenty of fans, so keeping the hardware adequately cooled shouldn't be a problem.  Cooling the room it is in while you're gaming is a separate problem entirely.

I have the same problem but with 2 1070 ti, the fans noise is super annoying, and the heat bleed through the room, it constantly run at 50-55 degree C.
    infomatz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Crazy nice build!

Let us see some benchmarks!

Yes and then build a crazy insane ryzen 3K build and do bench marks on that and compare to this build!
    wingood

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Any chance to compare SLI and non-SLI results across different games (not just MMOs)? I would be interested in seeing how the SLI / Crossfire tech performs these days...
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    I have this same case with white Corsair LL fans, Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM SE AIO in white, and white corsair HX850 PSU. LL fans are expensive @ $119 for a set of three plus the hub, but they are worth the money.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

Wizardry said:

Nice...nice and nice,now what,load up Wow or SWTOR that could run on a Pentium 2?
    I am using a low end PC and have no need to upgrade,gaming has been gearing towards very low end games,tons and tons of mobile games and then the Arpg's,board type games,browser games,even the shooters don't have much going on.

Most of the computing seems to be in AI,sure a lot of games are trying to mimic the GTA look with a sort of fake city structure full of 2D buildings but the real draw is the npc AI walking around,talking,interacting.

Personally and imo,there is no reason to be into the high cost nerdy side of building PC's,there is just no need for them right now.

Great. You don't need one. Then this article wasn't written for you. Enjoy your "Pentium 2" and browser games.
    RoinMaddog666Ozmodansumdumguy1SinsaiJinxys
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think it'd interesting to see MMORPG.com trying to make as silent gaming computer as possible.
    [Deleted User]wingoodinfomatz

• QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51

I will have to say it looks cool, but in my miind I see a huge waste of money. One of the core reason's it is a waste of money, the front bus on any new motherboard using a  pentium doesn't have the front bus speed to actually find the benefits of data transfer from two 2080's. On top of that, it will create a bottleneck in side the compute unit because Pentium and Nvidia still don't use Async computing. 

Now if the build ised a Threadripper gen or gen 2, it will have the capability of larger front bus transferring speeds along with async computing and the actual thread width of processes the front and rear buses.  vida andd intel are just pushing single  gpu/cpu core power. At some point this formula will be prehistoric. 

I kind of wonder if these types of builds are just to see who can pee shortest. I would say 2 years from now, vidia and intel will just be getting to 7nm wafers. 

dirty hardware nerd :D
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited June 2019
    Arent you suppose to show off the final set up with surround 4k large screen running high definition games?

If you do all that, and dont have the peripherals, its not even worth it.

And the peripherals to use that kind of horsepower can be more expensive than that build. Which is probably why we dont see the final set up pic. So to anyone interested in building a super pc, remeber you need to probably spend a hella lot more on a screen as well.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    People keep building insane computers and then act surprised when they try to take over the world!
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129

Wizardry said:

It's not even a nerdy build. It's just someone who doesn't know better, spending a lot of money. These are the folks that keep advertising alive, they don't know better but have money. Anyone who can afford this probably only plays games a few hours a week and sucks at everything they play. Guaranteed!
    [Deleted User]
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Quizzical said:

I have the same problem but with 2 1070 ti, the fans noise is super annoying, and the heat bleed through the room, it constantly run at 50-55 degree C.
    The way to deal with the excess fan noise is to move everything to liquid cooling. This improves the thermal cool-down, and removes almost all of the noise.
    [Deleted User]vegetableoil
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Quizzical said:

The way to deal with the excess fan noise is to move everything to liquid cooling. This improves the thermal cool-down, and removes almost all of the noise.
    Then you get fan noise and pump noise.  IF you want silent cooling you need to build for it.
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Torval said:
    Asm0deus said:

Quizzical said:

Then you get fan noise and pump noise.  IF you want silent cooling you need to build for it.
    Liquid isn't silent but its typically much quieter than air cooling. But I agree with you overall if you want a quiet rig it really needs to be built that way from the foundation.
    Liquid cooling is typically much quieter than bad air coolers, but an air cooler that's designed to be overkill for the amount of heat generated and run at really low speeds can be even quieter.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    This build won't age well. I give it a few weeks until Zen 2 obliterates it across the board.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    And now a giveaway?
    [Deleted User]