Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So my son got me playing NBA 2k19

He bought the game with his holiday/birthday money.  He is big into so I have decided to try it so we can play together.  They have a live service which os multiple park instances where there are courts with people playing.  You can que in for next or just watch all the games go on around you.

Man o man is there a grind.  All I can think of is the CEO of 2K talking about players don't want to pay for anything while Virtual Currency shop is offering to relieve my grind so I can compete.  How did us as gamers fall so low to tolerate this crap.  Me wanting to play my kid out here grinding. Lost connection to WIFI in my single player career mode game trying to earn some VC and I am booted and lose all progress.

Seems like this is a losing battle with the game industry.

GdemamiSteelhelmHatefullScot

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I played Madden with my son. He pwned me over and over. Great for his self esteem. Hard on mine.

I decided sports games were not my thing.

So we played Grand Theft Auto and I sucked at that too.

But I guarantee you if we play EQ and he has to sit for a 6 hour camp, his will is going to break before mine. Muhahahahahaha. That's what we old people excel at. Sitting and waiting.
    CryomatrixAlBQuirkyKyleranHatefull[Deleted User]ScotblastermasterTzavokAsheramsumdumguy1and 1 other.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Amathe said:
    I played Madden with my son. He pwned me over and over. Great for his self esteem. Hard on mine.

I decided sports games were not my thing.

So we played Grand Theft Auto and I sucked at that too.

But I guarantee you if we play EQ and he has to sit for a 6 hour camp, his will is going to break before mine. Muhahahahahaha. That's what we old people excel at. Sitting and waiting.
    my problem was other, my young cousin asking me to pass the hard stages for him... game was dirty cheap easy too....

games always had a grind of some kind, I don't see why you are caring about it now
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    The online portion of 2k19 is trash, total P2W , with that said the offline/franchise portion of the game is fantastic if thats your thing. 

Play 1on 1 vs your son offline, reenact the nba finals

& if your a old fart like me they have classic teams from the 80's-90's, really cool

[Deleted User]HatefullVermillion_RaventhalScot
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    The online portion of 2k19 is trash, total P2W , with that said the offline/franchise portion of the game is fantastic if thats your thing.

That's the only way I play my OLD (2010 through 2012) Madden games. I'm the coach and GM, not the player :)
    Hatefull

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I hate the new maddens, the ultimate team is totally ridiculous you could spend thousands of dollars easy.  I am also not fond of regular game play.  I used to play 08 on PC and would play a defensive back and cover a WR.  Now they make it near impossible to do that.  I guess player movements are more realistic now, but the game play seems a bit choppy / sluggish now.  The adjustments / strategies you can use are pretty impressive now and you could really spend a ton of time learning the tactical game if you choose.  As for basketball I enjoy the NBA playgrounds games.  The are very unrealistic, but good for some quick fun.
    AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited June 2019

& if your a old fart like me they have classic teams from the 80's-90's, really cool

I don't play NBA but my son and I play NHL. Same thing: the online stuff is P2W garbage with lootbox-like card packs but if you ignore that crap the offline portion of the game is awesome either head to head or co-op against the AI. 
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Iselin said:

I don't play NBA but my son and I play NHL. Same thing: the online stuff is P2W garbage with lootbox-like card packs but if you ignore that crap the offline portion of the game is awesome either head to head or co-op against the AI. 
    Yeah it is horrible.  There is less and less refuge from the P2W and cash shop altered gameplay.  
    AlBQuirky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

Yeah it is horrible.  There is less and less refuge from the P2W and cash shop altered gameplay.  
    EA sports sort of pioneered the lootbox-like mechanics starting with Fifa and then all their sports franchises. It's even worse than it looks at a glance because player cards that you use to build a team have a # of games max and then they go poof. It's about as predatory as it gets.
    Vermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I have enjoyed axis football (American football) quite a bit. No p2w and lots of customization. It is a low budget game but fun for what it is. 
    I like that I can coach more with the game than Madden allows for. 
    There used to be good football games.  Then the NFL figured out that EA would pay them more not to allow other companies to make good football games with the real teams and players than other companies would pay to be allowed to make such good games.  Thus, your choices if you want a good football game are either old games with old rosters, games with made up teams and players, or pirated Tecmo Super Bowl ROMs with updated rosters.
    ConstantineMerusJeffSpicoliAlBQuirkysumdumguy1
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

EA sports sort of pioneered the lootbox-like mechanics starting with Fifa and then all their sports franchises. It's even worse than it looks at a glance because player cards that you use to build a team have a # of games max and then they go poof. It's about as predatory as it gets.
    I think NBA 2K grind for online play is as bad as any MMORPG.  Not only do you have to use VC for characters skills but you have to buy animations for about 20-30 skill, park only animations, tattoos and outfits.  

AlBQuirky

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Quizzical said:
    I have enjoyed axis football (American football) quite a bit. No p2w and lots of customization. It is a low budget game but fun for what it is. 
    There used to be good football games.  Then the NFL figured out that EA would pay them more not to allow other companies to make good football games with the real teams and players than other companies would pay to be allowed to make such good games.  Thus, your choices if you want a good football game are either old games with old rosters, games with made up teams and players, or pirated Tecmo Super Bowl ROMs with updated rosters.
    Quizzical said:
    Agreed. The 2K series was stellar. I wish Axis Football had a bigger budget but I like the games none the less. Madden is ok. I play it on my PC now that it is back on the platform but Madden is a disappointing example of professional American football for sure =/ 
    Agreed , It really pisses me off the Madden in 2019 is still chasing a game made in 2005 in NFL2K5. For those of you reading this who dont play sports games NFL 2K5 was the holy grail of football games. Graphically & Animation wise it still holds up today but what really made it shine and what Madden has been unable to duplicate still to this day is the presentation of the game.

nfl2k5 Featured a overlay, Halftime show and weekly  ESPN Prime Time recap show that was not only impressive for 05 but still impressive today. The guys at 2k basically recreated exactly what you saw on a Sunday from kickoff at 12pm to the round up highlight show at 7, It was AWESOME!

Madden continues to  Recycle gimmicky basic additions  that noone asks for . They add features and then remove them then add them again ( i shit you not), this cycle continues over and over as if noone is going to notice.

I'v played and bought every single John Madden football game since 1990. A once great Franchise has now become a money making cash cow with no real regard for the fans. The exclusivity contract killed any and all motivation for the Madden team to make something special and go above and beyond. Perhaps the reason i am such a opponent of the EPIC GAME STORE is because i have seen what exclusivity contracts can do in the gaming world and its ugly & lazy and doesn't promote competition , It kills it.
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I've been looking at that game from time to time. Is it fully released now?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

AlBQuirky
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Quizzical said:
    EA approached the NFL about going exclusive in 2002 and then again in 2004 / 2005. After getting the NFL License EA then approached the NBA about going exclusive. Thankfully the NBA refused.

EA is to blamed for no more good football games. Not the NFL. The NFL did what any business would do and that was say yes to a bigger payday than all the other companies at the time were paying combined.

I have not put much time into sports games in years. I used to get NFL2K and NBA2K every year.. Have not had an NBA game since NBA 2K12 I think it was... Dabbled in Madden a couple times since 2005 but they are terrible representation of the NFL.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Looks like the sports games are going to be regulated into the ground.

AlBQuirkyAsheram

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:

It's sad that jts gone that far.  Well maybe they will start refining games for free or providing it in seasons.
    AlBQuirkyAsheram
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Nilden said:

Hopefully the US does it as well. FIFA and Madden are absolutely terrible with their cards and Ultimate Teams.

1. The game should be free with their 1 BILLION profit on just Ultimate Team.
    2. Cards should carry over from game to game. Rebuying and rebuilding every year is as greedy as it gets.

I have always had the opinion that Ultimate Team should be a standalone F2P game while FIFA and Madden should be under a different developer that can do an indepth single player / online experience. Right now Ultimate Team takes all the dev time because of the money.