Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsofts aweful crossplay regulations holds ffxiv back

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Wccftech: Recently there was the launch of “Dauntless” from Phoenix Labs with PC, PS4, and Xbox One crossplay. Have there been any updates for Final Fantasy XIV [to support] crossplay for Shadowbringers or in the future?

Two months ago, I discussed with Phil Spencer. I have explained this before but we are prepared to do crossplay at any time. To play an MMORPG, there are 2 regulations for Microsoft which stand in the way of making crossplay feasible. Unless these regulations are rejected, there is no meaning. Simply speaking, the matching base FPS style game has no issues with those 2 regulations. If we had made an FPS game [had FF14 been one of those games], then we would already have crossplay. One of the regulations is that players with different platforms cannot chat with each other in-game. Then how do you play an MMO? The other regulation is you cannot make a community with plays on a different platform. You can’t form a guild, you can’t enter into a link shell, [and] no free company. So I would like to have Microsoft change their regulations. And this is not limited to Microsoft but there are many players who only have crossplay experience with FPS games, especially with the business scene. For an MMORPG, a game which full communication is possible, regulations need to be created considering how massive an MMORPG is to have true crossplay. Final Fantasy XIV will not release crossplay without making this clear because that would only hurt the players. I think we can only try to continue having our discussions with those parties [to communicate and relay what is needed].

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Settling those issues would be a mess, because it involves 2+ companies and assets of 2+ companies. Each company also would be liable for damages from the companies, too. After that SWATting incident, I don't blame companies wanting to protect themselves, either.

Want to communicate cross platform? There's VOIP options that's totally separate from both games. But be warned if using your smartphone, as these fools will get your location from it, and one SWATting incident is enough, with Prison Planet mentalities. They also shop hard for identity info. MoP in WoW and the buttholes that used Skype, they were roaming for that info, while purposely knocking people offline with macro packets, too (why you can't use the fancy keyboard macros anymore in WoW, as the idiots ruined the game for everyone else).
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited June 2019
    He doesn't get out much, players chat in a MMO? Most don't these days, at least not in any sort of public chat, full of spam and boorish behavior anyways.

Cross platform communities is a more valid limiter, in POE my friends brother cant group with us or be in the guild as he only has access to an XBox, annoying.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Kyleran said:
    He doesn't get out much, players chat in a MMO?

Total public chat? In this political atmosphere? No way. That's like inviting criminals and weirdos over for dinner. Want a perfect example of public chat in MMOs? Asmongold's streams. If mayhem had a name that would be it (and it takes days for YouTube to filter all of them out of your feed too).
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Perhaps not in FFXIV where they might not try to send a SWAT team to your house but in PvP games I would be wary of communication.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Yeh