Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic - Why?

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
Why wait when there are private servers available now?  I don't understand this logic.....

They are free to play, and you know that Blizzard is going to have the economy screwed up due to the inevitable purchase of WoW Tokens.  

I've played these servers earlier this year.  They are fun....for a little while.  Then you realize the questing system has you going ALL over the place just to make a tiny bit of progress.  Then the gear you acquire is the (obviously) the same old crappy graphical stuff you've ignored for over a decade, because it is so lackluster.  The talent trees, which I've missed, unfortunately do not inspire.  You end up doing the same old builds you did a decade ago.  

Look, I like classic servers and progression servers.  I do.  But WoW Classic is just the same as it is now, only more "irritating".  Whereas something like EQ Progression servers, and classic private servers offer something not available today.....original gameplay.

I find it hilarious that the company that made the dang game takes 1.5-2 years to release their Classic servers, when fans (who probably do not get paid to do so) did it in their spare time in WAY less time.  I would forgive Blizzard if they were doing something to the new servers that could accommodate that long wait.  But as far as the beta showed, they are not.  

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    edited December 2018
    The reason for the delay is that Blizzard is trying to force the old game into the new infrastructure...  you know square peg into round hole sort of thing.  Private servers aren't trying to do that.

Yes, it is true Blizzard's Classic and private server won't be the same.  But on that note, Blizzard will get the raids and dungeons up and running they way they should be running as opposed to the private servers who just don't have the code to do it.  So in essence, private servers aren't true to classic any more than Blizzard will be.

Now the reason for waiting has more to do with the fact that a Blizzard server isn't going to be constantly hounded by DSoD attacks, or go down for lengthy amount of times, or have the real possibility that they will be shut down at any moment.

People want the old play style back with the promise of stability.  Private servers can't promise that.  People can and have been playing private servers... but the reality is, they are hosted on the other side of the world so ping is horrible for NA players and the player base really comes mostly from the other side of the world... so play times are also affected.  It's dead as a door nail during peak NA times but bristling with activity when you would normally be asleep or at work. 

So, take a moment to educate yourself on just what is going on and stop watching the you-tube rants for a moment.  Classic will be here soon enough.  It won't be true classic any more than private servers are true classic.  But what it will be is the old play style, which is what everyone wants to come back... not the glitzy graphics, transmog, LFD, et al.  Call it an Amish take on WoW.  

TheocritusSovrathLokero
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    There's also the fact that your favorite private server can get killed off at any time.  Y'know, like Nostalrius because if they are taking donations then they are taking money using blizzard's IP.  Something about assurance that you will have the character you invested in the next day makes classic a tad bit more worth it then going to a private server.
    OutaiCaffynated
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I played Nostalrius and Lighthope for 2 years and I quit the day after Blizzard announced Classics.
    Reason being because Vanilla have limited content and I didn't want to risk getting burned out by the time Classic releases.

Plus, as others pointed out, those servers can be shut any time, which is an extra reason that made me decide to just wait for the official servers.
    MadFrenchiemmolou
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm waiting for a WoTLK classic server myself!

The good ol' days!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wankyudo said:
    There's also the fact that your favorite private server can get killed off at any time.  Y'know, like Nostalrius because if they are taking donations then they are taking money using blizzard's IP.  Something about assurance that you will have the character you invested in the next day makes classic a tad bit more worth it then going to a private server.
    I find it funny that Nostalrius got shut down, next thing you they are in bed with Blizzard, I think they did it voluntarily for a big payoff.  Other servers are still up and working fine without a single glitch. 

I'm on one, have been for YEARS and its always up, almost NO BUGS and a healthy population. In fact I just started again, I had a Rogue 11 and now is 14, I'll be playing it in a few minuets, last night I made a friend and we did a good part of Westfall together.  I can't wait to get level 20 so I can make poisons for my weapons and do the SI:7 quest :) 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Wankyudo said:
    I find it funny that Nostalrius got shut down, next thing you they are in bed with Blizzard, I think they did it voluntarily for a big payoff.  Other servers are still up and working fine without a single glitch. 

I'm on one, have been for YEARS and its always up, almost NO BUGS and a healthy population. In fact I just started again, I had a Rogue 11 and now is 14, I'll be playing it in a few minuets, last night I made a friend and we did a good part of Westfall together.  I can't wait to get level 20 so I can make poisons for my weapons and do the SI:7 quest :) 
    Has Blizzard threatened the folks who run the server you play on with a lawsuit?

If you were running such a server would you take the risk of financial ruin?

There is nothing - at all - to suggest there was any sort of financial payoff. 

Nostralius was - by all accounts - a large, well known, vocal and growing private server. The vocal bit may be why it got hit with a lawsuit. That plus making an example of course.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    TEKK3N said:
    I played Nostalrius and Lighthope for 2 years and I quit the day after Blizzard announced Classics.
    Reason being because Vanilla have limited content and I didn't want to risk getting burned out by the time Classic releases.

Plus, as others pointed out, those servers can be shut any time, which is an extra reason that made me decide to just wait for the official servers.
    At this point, if you're interested in vanilla WoW gameplay, your best bet is to just wait for Blizzard's attempt.

For all their recent faults, there's nothing to suggest Blizzard's classic server won't be much higher-quality technical experiences than private servers.
    Kyleran

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I assume Blizzard is putting in the effort to make their Classic servers the way that the actual Vanilla experience should have been.

In other words, I'd hope all the things that were broken and unbearable about original era will be fixed.  Ex. Useless talent trees, etc.

I personally think Vanilla WoW was pretty bleh, so I don't really care one way or the other, but what they are doing is vastly different from what those private servers do.

I remember what a massive amount of work they put into those EQ progression servers(probably still are, since it's their biggest moneymaker at this point :lol: ).
  • YourGamingDudeYourGamingDude Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I believe everyone want to play hardcore wow. There is huge amount of players who just looking private servers to play classic or older expansions like Wotlk servers, TBC. Not because they couldn't afford membership but because they want to play in older expansions. And current state of wow is just standing around and do nothing (at-least for me) Its not the same wow as it was before but its just my own opinion.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    I believe everyone want to play hardcore wow. There is huge amount of players who just looking private servers to play classic or older expansions like Wotlk servers, TBC. Not because they couldn't afford membership but because they want to play in older expansions. And current state of wow is just standing around and do nothing (at-least for me) Its not the same wow as it was before but its just my own opinion.

I am going to assume you are not an adbot and Welcome you to the Forums! :)
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Scot said:

I am going to assume you are not an adbot and Welcome you to the Forums! :)
    Google A.I. Is advancing at a pace more rapidly then expected. That bot was suppose to bash the president on Reddit but instead found its way here because, well, video games are fun and politics are lame.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited June 2019
    no one in their right mind would risk investing time in building their character on a private server, only to have it all thrown down the chute overnight with a Cease & Desist order...
    kitarad
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Because Classic WoW is tied for my all time fav game. Played it at retail 2004-2006. Played it on and off on private servers since 2012. It's one of those games I will never get tired of.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373
    It's just hype and payed streamers.. i play at least 5 different games everyday , there's no way in hell im wasting a few hours just to have some minuscule dose of dopamine pumped into my brain. I was tempted by the pvp BUT taking into consideration that tryhards (and i am 100% confident when i say more then half of the people playing classic will be playing ONLY for pvp and will be all over this one 24/7 for at least a month .. nah , il pass.
    Gyva02
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    One thing that people miss a lot is that the private servers do not have a fully working boss encounters with all the quircks that it has.
    The bosses normally just stand in one place and it all becomes tank and spank, thats it.

I havent seen any private servers with fully scripted boss events yet.
    kitarad
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Classic WoW is going to clear my skin and cure my rickets. Vanilla WoW eradicated polio in the Western world in 2004 and is set to end world hunger in 2019. The hype is not out of control, a private server clearly can't flood the atmosphere with pure unconditional love and restorative auras like Classic will.

No one has talked to another person in a video game since at least 2007 and Classic will fix that instantly upon release, possibly retroactively. Just thinking about the history of gaming will become a euphoric sensation each time we reflect on the blinding splendor and magnificence as reflected through the prism of Classic WoW's righteousness.
    JeffSpicolidelete5230
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    because retail blows IMO, it's more of an action game than an actual RPG. everyone is exactly the same other than gear and the reason why private servers are not as good is because you have to worry about losing your character if the server gets shut down by blizz.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Vhayne said:
    Why wait when there are private servers available now?  I don't understand this logic.....
    No one except the unemployed wants to dump thousands of hours into a PServer, except the unemployed.
    bwwianakiev
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I'm hyped for WoW classic for one simple reason. Needing other people. I could log onto WoW right now and really do anything but the very hardcore end game, not needing to talk to anyone. Grouping up to kill some elite, really added something to the game. Playing before LFG was added in, way better. While people can always say "well you sat around in chat looking for other people". Nah mate. I made mates with many different healers/tanks/dpsers. Always could make a group. 

As for why not just roll on private servers? For the fear that they can just get shut down at any random point in time. Also not sure if any private servers even has an OCE server. You know, playing at good ping is a massive plus. 

If it doesn't turn out to be all that great. No real time loss. Plenty of other games to play.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited July 2019
    Torrsk said:
    I'm hyped for WoW classic for one simple reason. Needing other people. I could log onto WoW right now and really do anything but the very hardcore end game, not needing to talk to anyone. Grouping up to kill some elite, really added something to the game. Playing before LFG was added in, way better. While people can always say "well you sat around in chat looking for other people". Nah mate. I made mates with many different healers/tanks/dpsers. Always could make a group. 

As for why not just roll on private servers? For the fear that they can just get shut down at any random point in time. Also not sure if any private servers even has an OCE server. You know, playing at good ping is a massive plus. 

If it doesn't turn out to be all that great. No real time loss. Plenty of other games to play.
    In Classic WoW you can solo from level 1 to max level.  WoW never had EverQuest levels of needing people.  Not sure why anyone would play it for that.  The people who liked that, played EQ2, which released around the same time (many people complained about it, and ran to WoW as a result).

Contrary to popular believe, people were actually tiring quite heavily of that kind of game design by the time EQ2/WoW came onto the market.  They wanted more independence, and the segregation of Casual and Hardcore/Raiding communities happened during the EQ era...  There is a reason why WoW is the way it is, and there's a reason why EQ2 had to make changes to become more like it - to save itself.  Even EQ adopted many of the WoW and EQ2's "convenience features."

I don't even understand where people have these misconceptions that WoW Classic was the bastion of group-centric gameplay...  Apart from Dungeons and Raids, it absolutely was not - and that's indicative of practically every MMORPG on the market barring the EverQuest and Lineage games (where either you boxed your buffers, or found a group - and your leveling/grinding areas were still limited without an actual group).

Games like DAoC were also brain dead easy to solo in.  You only needed groups for dungeons, or if you absolutely insistent on leveling in PvP areas (which you could do, but it wasn't at all necessary).

EQ (and EQ2) and Lineage are the only games I've played where most leveling was done in overland/contested zones, in groups - unless you boxed your buffers/slow bots are were one of the classes that could kite almost anything that couldn't summon in EQ.

WoW and every game in its likeness pretty much segregated that to instanced content, and the actual world has very little purpose once you've leveled up - beyond collecting items for crafting or achievements.  FFXIV is a good example of this, and they've tried to sort of "mitigate" this issue with things like Fates... but they aren't that popular, anymore :-P  WoW could use something like this.

RIFT also tried something similar with their Rift Events, and GW2 has done similar in that game.  So it's a problem that many developers have picked up, and attempted to solve... but WoW has barely done anything besides those little treasure chests they litter the map with, and World Quests (which were fun for about 2 weeks - same issue as FATEs in FFXIV, IME).

I think the fast leveling in WoW and a lot of the games that aimed to reproduce its popularity contributed a bit to that.  There is not enough journey, so people zoom to max level and then they're sort of stuck in this perpetual content lull, because you can only have fun doing the same things so long before you start burning out.

This wasn't the cast in EQ because there generally was a lot more varied content, and you could still progress through older content without a level increase causing a single character to kill raid bosses in 30 seconds.

This was also good for guild health, because guilds didn't feel like they had to rush through the content at breakneck speed.  You could still progress through Ssra Temple and Vex Thal during Planes or Power or even Omens of War and just work your entire guild up until you caught up - cleaning the content.  It was still challenging, even though the max level has gone up by 5.

WoW and games like it have completely destroyed progression, and that's why they had to basically introduce Cross-Realm Grouping after they got rid of 10-Man raiding (which a lot of smaller guilds basically depended on to have "something to do, progression-wise).

Gear resets also made playing MMORPGs casual not worth a lot of people's time, because they would always see their work obsoleted before they could get to their end goal.  This is another thing EQ largely avoided... for a long time (stat additions and power creep eventually overpowered this, so really old items needed to be replaced, anyways... but typically there were new items with some of the same effects on them to stand in place for them... so really they didn't change much :-P It's hard to wear level 60 items when the max level is 75/80+).
    kitarad
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Vhayne said:

I find it hilarious that the company that made the dang game takes 1.5-2 years to release their Classic servers, when fans (who probably do not get paid to do so) did it in their spare time in WAY less time.  I would forgive Blizzard if they were doing something to the new servers that could accommodate that long wait.  But as far as the beta showed, they are not.  

This is nowhere near true so many people have spent countless hours in the past decade to get Vanilla servers in the state they are now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Played WoW for 2-3 years...leveled 8 or so characters to max....Played on private servers for a year or two...leveled a few to max there....I'm burnt out....The thought of questing again and starting over does nothing for me. I'd rather play just about anything than go through that again.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited July 2019
    Vhayne said:

You appear to be confusing a lack of desire by Blizzard to release Classic until recently with a lack of ability. Having done it first is what allowed others to do anything with it later.

Blizzard has no need to accommodate anything. What they chose to do was release a new version of Classic with obvious aesthetic improvements over the original, along with the benefit of being designed to make better use of advances in technology in the intervening years.

So, take it or leave it. I'm sure Blizzard won't give the slightest damn either way, being preoccupied with satisfying a request made repeatedly by many of their customers for years.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited July 2019
    Because playing on a Private Server is like masturbating. It scratches the itch, but you know in your heart it's not the real thing.
    Post edited by mrputts on
    laserit

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited July 2019
    I've played on plenty of private servers, it's all fine in the moment. The biggest problems I've encountered are a lack of general moderation, instability (both in regards to the security of an account and longevity of a server), and content or mechanics that have been backwards engineered, or are still not working the way Blizzard originally intended. I played retail vanilla, and while I can recognize it won't be exactly the same when it relaunches in August, I have more faith in Blizzard to faithfully reproduce that experience. It's also worth mentioning that I'd prefer to pay for that service, because that's the fulcrum of the argument for why myself and many others played on private servers to begin with: because it was no longer being offered by the owners of the intellectual property.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)