Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unreal Engine 4 Upgrade to Blade & Soul May Not Make It in 2019 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageUnreal Engine 4 Upgrade to Blade & Soul May Not Make It in 2019 - MMORPG.com

Blade & Soul Senior Producer Nico Coutant has penned the game's mid-year update to provide the community with a peek at what's ahead for the second half of 2019. Most notably, Coutant admits that the big Unreal Engine 4 upgrade probably won't be released in 2019 as originally planned. However, a new video showing some of the development progress towards the goal has also been released.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol I dont think anyone who was mildly interested in the game was expecting the UE4 version to even be ready anywhere in the next 2 years let alone this year.
    alkarionlogRoindoomex
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Albatroes said:

Lol I dont think anyone who was mildly interested in the game was expecting the UE4 version to even be ready anywhere in the next 2 years let alone this year.

you don't play the game do you? that was the main thing most was waiting for, serious they are already bleeding players, now I wonder if the ones who was waiting for that update will stick around, well as long they fix the fps drops on the new blade master spec
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    You can put all the make up on this pig that you want, but it's still an arena pvp game with a tacked on MMO, held up only by great combat.
    jimmywolfScarranMikehabigdfhSignex
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Albatroes said:

you don't play the game do you? that was the main thing most was waiting for, serious they are already bleeding players, now I wonder if the ones who was waiting for that update will stick around, well as long they fix the fps drops on the new blade master spec

You seriously dont read, do you? I don't care if everyone and their mother is 'mostly waiting for it,' its something that cannot be done anytime soon. The game is pretty big so it would take at least 2 years from now (when it was originally announced to being worked on back in 2016/2017). Maybe you're not the one who plays.
    alkarionlog
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

You seriously dont read, do you? I don't care if everyone and their mother is 'mostly waiting for it,' its something that cannot be done anytime soon. The game is pretty big so it would take at least 2 years from now (when it was originally announced to being worked on back in 2016/2017). Maybe you're not the one who plays.

I highly doubt it would take 4 YEARS or more to change a game's engine, much less to experienced people from NCSoft.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Asch126 said:

Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

I highly doubt it would take 4 YEARS or more to change a game's engine, much less to experienced people from NCSoft.

Albatroes is actually correct. UE3 to UE4 isn't as easy as flipping a switch.
    Mikeha

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Asch126 said:

Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

Switching from one engine to a different engine entirely in an already launched game would be such an enormous undertaking that I'd typically expect it to be complete sometime around never.  While I haven't seen the details of their code base, I'd expect that to break so many little things for so many different reasons that I'd expect a company to just give up and cancel the engine switch after a while.
    Aeander said:
    You can put all the make up on this pig that you want, but it's still an arena pvp game with a tacked on MMO, held up only by great combat.
    Great combat?  You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Ever have those weird dreams where you need to go do something immediately, perhaps running away from something, but when you try to run, you're incredibly slow?  That's what playing Blade and Soul felt like to me.  You can use skills, sure, but you're nearly rooted in place, not just in combat but even running to the next quest when out of combat.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I'm impressed that they are even attempting this considering how different ue3 and ue4 is. I imagine if they have a standalone backend for the server that is fairly easy to work with this would be fairly do able with some work. People tend to forget that the client is really nothing more then a graphical front in with a interface.

If you have all the original artwork then reimporting it in and coming up with a new interface shouldn't be a major headache. The backend is where most of the work happens in a mmo (or should happen) and it should be fairly easy to switch out frontends / clients if you program it right.

Now if they used ue3 on the server side (I would be impressed and shocked with horror on that thought) then it would be a different story.

I wonder if they will have support raytracing since it's a standard feature in the latest version of ue4.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    Usually people who complain about "rooted" animations are folks who like to run around bunny hopping, circle strafing, and not much timing involved on attacks/skills (outside of aiming). Risk versus reward movement + actions tend to not sit well with folks like that.

I believe what @Aeander was referring to was the fact Blade & Souls combat is well respected by those who aren't like the above. So much that there's tournaments based around the Arena. The combat is good, better than most MMORPGs. It combines status effect/counters meta with positioning, timing, and tagging in teammates (in 3v3).

SO yeah the combat is actually pretty good. Not good enough to save mess wrapped around it though.

SignexAeanderTeala
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Usually people who complain about "rooted" animations are folks who like to run around bunny hopping, circle strafing, and not much timing involved on attacks/skills (outside of aiming). Risk versus reward movement + actions tend to not sit well with folks like that.

I believe what @Aeander was referring to was the fact Blade & Souls combat is well respected by those who aren't like the above. So much that there's tournaments based around the Arena. The combat is good, better than most MMORPGs. It combines status effect/counters meta with positioning, timing, and tagging in teammates (in 3v3).

SO yeah the combat is actually pretty good. Not good enough to save mess wrapped around it though.

That strikes me as absolutely bizarre.  Usually tournaments would be for games that have a heavy emphasis on the skill of the player, not just the higher level or better gear player wins.  And usually games that have a serious skill of the player component make it immediately obvious, even in the low level, easy stuff where it doesn't yet matter because you win even if you're terrible.

Blade and Soul doesn't do that.  At all.  And I sure looked hard for it in the time that I played.  I don't recall how far into the game I made it; probably around level 10 or so.  But up to that point, combat sure seemed to be a matter of hacking away at a mob until either it dies or you do.  Maybe you could do a little more damage by timing your attacks better, but that's an awfully mild skill of the player component.

It was nominally possible to avoid damage by getting out of the way, except that your character is far too slow to actually do that more than once in a while.  There weren't skills or other abilities to mitigate damage in the very short term, either, whether akin to the Guild Wars 2 double tap to roll or the Champions Online block to reduce damage by 3/4 or so.  If a mob attacks you, you're nearly always taking full damage, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's possible that the combat changes radically as you get higher level.  But if so, then that's a catastrophically awful introduction to the game.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited June 2019

Quizzical said:

That strikes me as absolutely bizarre.  Usually tournaments would be for games that have a heavy emphasis on the skill of the player, not just the higher level or better gear player wins.  And usually games that have a serious skill of the player component make it immediately obvious, even in the low level, easy stuff where it doesn't yet matter because you win even if you're terrible.

Blade and Soul doesn't do that.  At all.  And I sure looked hard for it in the time that I played.  I don't recall how far into the game I made it; probably around level 10 or so.  But up to that point, combat sure seemed to be a matter of hacking away at a mob until either it dies or you do.  Maybe you could do a little more damage by timing your attacks better, but that's an awfully mild skill of the player component.

It was nominally possible to avoid damage by getting out of the way, except that your character is far too slow to actually do that more than once in a while.  There weren't skills or other abilities to mitigate damage in the very short term, either, whether akin to the Guild Wars 2 double tap to roll or the Champions Online block to reduce damage by 3/4 or so.  If a mob attacks you, you're nearly always taking full damage, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's possible that the combat changes radically as you get higher level.  But if so, then that's a catastrophically awful introduction to the game.

Yeah they actually have changed that, the first tournament was about mashing multiple buttons to create your combo it's hard and if you win the game I can say the champ really deserved the reward, now you only need to push the same button for your combo they completely dumb down the game that means anyone can execute what was hard combo in older version with way less skill involved.
    Post edited by vegetableoil on
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Damn sad news...I really wanted to give it another shot.
    Signex
  • LytecLytec Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I thought this game was dead
    Gorwe said:
    They should just make Blade and Soul 2 if they want UE4 that bad. It's much easier that way. Regardless, B+S has nice combat, nice aesthetics and nice story(imo). Expecting anything else is...silly tbh.

Quizzical said:

While I don't know how the most recent combat rework works, when I played it(some year ago or thereabouts) your statement(s) would be so wrong. Sure, it might feel that way for some classes(Destroyer in particular), but stuff like Blade Master or Kung Fu Master were so god damn responsive and fluid.

But I could see your point. Which class did you play?
    I don't recall which classes I played.

Using skills seemed fine as far as it went.  The problem is that that was about it for combat.  You and a mob stand there hacking away at each other until one dies.  Or maybe two mobs hacking away at you while you focus on one of them at a time.  You could increase your damage a little by timing your skills well and lining up combos, but that was about it.  In larger groups, there could be strategic choices about which particular opponent to attack, but that's true of every MMORPG ever.

But my complaint about moving really slowly wasn't just about combat.  It was also about running back and forth between quests, which took up way too much of your time.  You could say that about a lot of quest hub based MMORPGs, but Blade and Soul made running back and forth feel a lot slower than most other MMORPGs, so that running back and forth was a lot more painful.
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Ah damn I was waiting for the upgrade before actually playing the game. Guess I'll just download & start now. Need something to fix that BDO burn.