Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret Lab Omega 2020 Gaming Chair Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSecret Lab Omega 2020 Gaming Chair Review - MMORPG.com

Choosing a chair may seem trivial to many gamers. Questions such as, “How much better will this chair be over another?” and, “Why would I spend so much on this chair when I can get another for half the price?” flood our minds before we buy. Secret Lab understands these questions, and better yet, they answer them with their new 2020 series of chairs? Come with us as we sit our way to answers.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited June 2019
    Yeah my boy saved his pennies these last few years, from doing chores and small "jobs" around the house both at gradpa's and at home, and saw a chair he really liked at the local "rossy" store and decided to spend 150$cad of his hard earned cash and bought it.

It looks just as nice as this one, it's comfy and frankly the armrests look much better made on his than on this one for 359$usd.

I mean this one looks pretty good too even though I prefer the looks the cheaper rossy one but I am not sure I would want to pay such a "premium" for what little this one seems to offer.

I mean most of the pros on this seems gimmicky price inflation terms used when adding a "gamer" tag to something.
    [Deleted User]Alexander.BNyghthowlerLeiHngWei

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I feel like gaming/racing chairs are over priced, over hyped. They use the same materials and sometimes worse build quality vs any other office chair. Plus most look ridiculous.
    AlomarLeiHngWei
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited June 2019
    Tiller said:
    I feel like gaming/racing chairs are over priced, over hyped. They use the same materials and sometimes worse build quality vs any other office chair. Plus most look ridiculous.
    That's  what I am thinking too, obviously I haven't had or bought all gaming chairs so I could be wrong but it's the impression I get too.

My boys chair is a red and black executive office chair and he just loves it, I think it looks pretty good too tbh, it even matches his headphones lol. 

As for quality he's 10 so I am pretty sure it will last him for the next 5+ years pretty easily.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I got one with nice cushy arm rests for less than half that price...never resting my arms on another hard plastic or metal armrest again....
    Asm0deus
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Look for the 'Lazy boy big and tall' chairs, call it a day and be done with it.

Oh and you won't have to look like a race car driver while sitting at the computer in your home. How these things even began to become popular is beyond me. I guess everyone must be going with an industrial theme in their home offices these days.
    [Deleted User]Abscissa15
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The name of this chair is a red flag that you are buying nonsense.

The ULTRA SUPER OMEGA AWESOME 9000 GAMING SEATING DEVICE FROM PLANET VENUS

Give me a break.
    black9iceScotbobbymcswansonH0urg1ass

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    Asm0deus said:
    Yeah my boy saved his pennies these last few years, from doing chores and small "jobs" around the house both at gradpa's and at home, and saw a chair he really liked at the local "rossy" store and decided to spend 150$cad of his hard earned cash and bought it.

It looks just as nice as this one, it's comfy and frankly the armrests look much better made on his than on this one for 359$usd.

I mean this one looks pretty good too even though I prefer the looks the cheaper rossy one but I am not sure I would want to pay such a "premium" for what little this one seems to offer.

I mean most of the pros on this seems gimmicky price inflation terms used when adding a "gamer" tag to something.
    Trust me, I get it. While this isn't the flashiest chair Secret Lab has (and not the one I would have chosen, given the chance) the way it looks is only part of it.  

From someone who has sat in a lot of gaming chairs, there are some that are just like the rest, and then others that try and do something different.  

While the armrests don't look special in any way, the functionality and quality of them are better than others.  I've seen some chairs that have special palm rests, or are super fluffy, and while some might prefer that, when it comes to 4D armrests, you want something that works properly, that doesn't feel cheap and that isn't gimmicky. 

Many gaming chairs have cold cure foam, but most of them also try to give you more of a comfort feel than a supportive feel. This chair is far more supportive than just a squish factory.  This matters for people like me who may have back issues, or are used to poor posture, because you often squish down in chairs unevenly, which might be comfortable, but it's not good for you for long term use. 

It's hard to quantify things like durability, comfort and practicality in a review, so I understand when people look at this chair next to another and shrug it off as simply marketing. Sure, in some cases, it is.. you pay for the "gaming" name tied to a chair, but that doesn't invalidate products like this one that may have a higher premium, but actually delivers. 
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    The best gaming chair I have ever had the pleasure to sit on, was a one seater sofa that cost 30 pounds as almost new.

The table had to have an angle of 20 degrees down towards the front, but it made the best gaming setup I have ever used, I spent sometimes 8 hours sitting in a row on it without any muscle fatigue at all, specially with my front feet rest.
    maskedweasel
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Wow a chair!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    In the past gaming was about games, these days what on earth is it about?
    blamo2000
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Scot said:
    In the past players didn't sit in chairs?  o:)
    maskedweaselValentinaScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:
    We old timers did not sit in chairs! You cannot sit in a chair whilst climbing a mountain in the snow! 
    SovrathmaskedweaselScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Sovrath said:

Scot said:

Not those hardcore players. They set their rigs up while they were on the pot so they'd never need to leave.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Do "gaming" chairs do something different than regular chairs?  This doesn't seem like gaming rigs, mice, or keyboards that actually have actual added functionality.  My chair looks like this one but is for people that work at a computer all day.  Office monkeys and gamers have the same exact ass and back needs I'm guessing.  

Its seems like a chair with the mentality of a chain restaurant pushing "flair" for the waitresses, like from the movie Office Space.  Or having a suit jacket with flames going up the arms and calling it a "gaming" suit jacket.  
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    edited June 2019
    "Gaming chairs" are just well built chairs made of durable materials. Foam in normal chairs break down. That office chair foam you paid half the price for will be broken down within a year, so you will be sitting on hard wood. Those office chairs are also made of plywood... These so-called gaming chairs are made with a steel frame and cold cured foam which is far more durable and why they come with warranties that last years.

These types of chairs started with DXRacer which was originally a manufacturer of bucket seats for racing cars, but found out making chairs was more profitiable. It's why they marketed their racing style design. All these chairs like this one being reviewed are just copycats. DXRacer actually now offers similar durable chairs, but with a more typical office chair appearance.
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    As a guy who's 6'6" and pushing 300 it's pretty hard to find a decent chair to game with.

Maximum Height Allowed: 5’11 ft (152 cm)
    Maximum Weight Allowed: 240 lbs (108.9 kg)

This things made for short people...

(que Randy Newman song.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    edited June 2019
    As a guy who's 6'6" and pushing 300 it's pretty hard to find a decent chair to game with.

(que Randy Newman song.)

There are chairs out there for your height and weight, but you have to pay even more of a premium. DXRacer's Tank and office chair, and Maxnomic's XL series are all around $600. Though they often have deals around Black Friday.

Those are the only two companies I've tried out, and I found DXRacer to be overall more comfortable since the bottom part of the seat is completely flat.
  • swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Just got an Omega over the holidays and I can assure you all these chairs aren't worth the hype. I've had to get replacement parts sent numerous times over craftsmanship flaws. Squeaky, uncomfortable armrests which I had to buy covers for they're so bad. Where the seat base meets the pistons is hard as a rock, and if you plan on sitting in it for longer than an hour at a time, plan on buying a seat cushion as well.
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110

(que Randy Newman song.)
    Secret lab makes a larger chair, the Titan Series.  The Omega is the middle size. The Titan is rated for up to people 6;7 and roughly 300 lbs.  You would just fit that one. 

swaghole said:
    Just got an Omega over the holidays and I can assure you all these chairs aren't worth the hype. I've had to get replacement parts sent numerous times over craftsmanship flaws. Squeaky, uncomfortable armrests which I had to buy covers for they're so bad. Where the seat base meets the pistons is hard as a rock, and if you plan on sitting in it for longer than an hour at a time, plan on buying a seat cushion as well.
    Was it the 2020 Model? Because they've upgraded the armrests.  The seat is firm, but it's not hard at all, it's quite comfortable for me.  My biggest issue with other, softer chairs is that, due to my sciatica it pinches a nerve wrong and makes my leg fall asleep.  It hasn't happened at all in this chair.  I've had 2 other "gaming" chairs that I've used for daily use, and I've sat in many others in a testing fashion, this one has thus far, been the best.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    (Sponsored) Secret Lab chairs are the best. I was a skeptic until sitting in one at a convention. Bought one the next day. Best computer chair I have ever owned. They are world class.

fixed :D
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    edited June 2019
    I used to game as a teenager for 18 hours straight, multiple days. Now I’m an “adult” and wish the younger me had the resources to invest in a better chair as it’s the place you’ll be glued to, might as well be comfortable while doing so. That and being older your back becomes a factor :)
    maskedweasel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Have one, the seat and the back is very hard you will have to buy a coushion for both if you play 12-16 hours at a time.
    swaghole
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    You can call their support and they will do nothing about it.
    swaghole