Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night Review - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe RPG Files: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night Review - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the long awaited metroidvania title from former Castlevainia developer Koji Igarashi. Set in a dark gothic, medieval setting, this side scrolling platform offers more than simple jump attack repeat mechanics. However with the hype train being what it is does Bloodstained really offer players something new to one of the oldest genres in gaming? Grab that coffee kick back and enjoy our review of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Such a fun game.
    [Deleted User]
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    if you played symphony of the night and aria of sorrow and liked, there is nothing not to like here, go ahead.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Tempted to pull the trigger on this one on Switch.
    wingood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Game is great and Music is awesome!!!
    And...I was reluctant to buy It...silly me.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I'm a backer and I feel really "meh" about this game.

It's graphically ugly, the animations are awful, the combat is very slow and it just feels like your average run-of-the-mill platformer. Lots and lots of bizarre scenes with poor handling that feels like they didn't understand how to use the engine properly (the graphics options all being UE4 default names is a sign).

I never personally played SotN, just watched speedruns, and that game looked WAY faster and more competently put together. I plan to finally play it myself after finishing (or quitting) Bloodstained and give it an overall judgement, but right now I expect it to be the same like XCOM was for me; played the original after playing the remake and found the original so much better despite being a DOS game.

Oh, also the lack of 21:9 support or anything above 1080p in an engine that supports arbitrary resolution doesn't help matters either.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Is it really that good as the old Castlevania games? I have a hard time believing that tbh, I also found the price a bit steep. I would really like a good Vania game though so if someone could elaborate as to why it is that good it would be much appreciated!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    I really like the game but the way the dodge key works is absolutely atrocious.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Best kickstarter I've backed to date in my opinion!

Love this game!
    Sovrath
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

lahnmir said:

Is it really that good as the old Castlevania games? I have a hard time believing that tbh, I also found the price a bit steep. I would really like a good Vania game though so if someone could elaborate as to why it is that good it would be much appreciated!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

It depends. Are you more into the classic Castlevania style games? Or are you a huge fan of the Igavania games (Symphony of the Night + the handhelds such as Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, etc)? If it's the latter, then it'll be just about everything you could have hoped for. Bloodstained is basically Symphony of the Night with additional features from the handheld games added in. It doesn't really do anything new if you've played all those games, but it's still a joy to play. That said, I do hope that Iga adds some new wrinkles to the formula in Bloodstained 2.

If you are more of a classic Castlevania fan, then check out the tie in game to Bloodstained, Curse of the Moon. It's an 8 bit throwback to the older games and it's excellent in its own right.
    lahnmir
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    A game I will definitely admire but alas unable to play it as I am dreadfully poor at these types of games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Just bought it yesterday on Amazon. While my copy arrives i'll be playing Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon which so far is also pretty fun.

Can't wait to play Ritual of the Night.