Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great Add-Ons for Elder Scrolls Online Newbs - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGreat Add-Ons for Elder Scrolls Online Newbs - MMORPG.com

As a WoW refugee, one of the things that I was most interested to learn is that Elder Scrolls Online features add-ons. Now, as any longtime WoW player can tell you, add-ons are often integral to effective gameplay. However, in ESO, I was more interested in utilitarian add-ons that can help with more mundane tasks like mass deconstruction and so forth. With that in mind, here are what I believe are the top five add-ons for any Elder Scrolls Online newb.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I use most of those with the addition of
    Votan's fisherman (makes it esier to see strikes easier)
    Craftstore (when it's working)
    Potion maker
    LUI Extended for my UI
    Master Merchant (when it works)
    SBFord
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    My favorite add-on is a sound machine that helps my baby fall asleep at night so I can play for 20-30 minutes :)
    SBFordSovrathfoxgirlScotonelesslightTacticalZombehKrisConwaychilltime99
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Those are pretty much all the add-ons I use also. I also like AlphaGear 2 and Gear Sets Sort, Inventory Grid View. ElderScrollsOfAlts, I'll use every once in awhile.
    SBFord

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Those are pretty much all the add-ons I use also. I also like AlphaGear 2 and Gear Sets Sort, Inventory Grid View. ElderScrollsOfAlts, I'll use every once in awhile.
    I used a grid view addon a long time ago, but has been out of date forever so I stopped using it due to causing issues with another addon.
    Octagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    At one time or another I've used most of those except for the minimap add-ons. I've never found a need for them. Guess I'm just used to the TES style compass bar with proximity icons.

Harvestmap has been one of my favorites for a long time although it can be overwhelming and very cluttered if you leave all items it tracks turned on. Tip: you can toggle everything on/off individually on the map window itself. I only ever turn on resources when I'm actively looking for them. The only exception is runes because those share spawns with Psijiic loot portals which have even better loot than chests... which I also turn on as well as thieves' troves.

While on the subject of loot caches and chests (which includes any set piece that can drop in that zone by the way) once you have enough CP (225+ at least) you want to put 75 points in the shadow constellation to unlock the bonus passive, Treasure hunter. It increases the quality of items you find in chests by one chest difficulty "tier". I.e: Intermediate chests give you loot as if it were advanced, advanced gives you loot as if the chest were Master and so on.

For zone specific gear sets I gear-up very quickly with the treasure hunter passive and harvestmap :)
    Octagon7711RexKushmanNanfoodleperrin82
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    As if todays MMOs were not easy enough we have apps to make them even easier, which can only make MMO designers think, 'they can never be easy enough'.
    GdemamiretiredmjkoldmiserOzmodanKyleran
    edited June 2019
    Scot said:
    As if todays MMOs were not easy enough we have apps to make them even easier, which can only make MMO designers think, 'they can never be easy enough'.
    Some of the addons are used to get around terrible or annoying game design lol.
    koldmisergunklackerOctagon7711TacticalZombehNanfoodleNyghthowlerOzmodanAyinithlwyn
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Auto Category - Sorts inventory into groups that can be collapsed or expanded. It is good for hiding certain groups to shorten inventory like recipes or a specific gear set.

Azurah - Lets you move all the UI elements around like party window and pickups and quest window.

Map Pins - It's lorebooks, skyshard, achievements, rifts, museum pieces, etc
    Octagon7711
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Very timely and well put together. Was about to start looking for a new interface as I am not a fan if stock. Also don't like having my hotkey bar auto hiding. Does this UI fix that?
    Catibrie
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    Never got into using the minimap mods myself. Kinda have a thing against them.

I do use several different crafting mods, and a mod for better guild shop management.

Only mod I have contention over using on my list list right now is the Oblivion UI mod. It's fun to have that parchment style panels and what-not, but it does not cover all panels in the game with great consistency, and the contrast is also washed out, which makes it considerably less convenient to read things.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Nanfoodle said:
    Very timely and well put together. Was about to start looking for a new interface as I am not a fan if stock. Also don't like having my hotkey bar auto hiding. Does this UI fix that?
    I believe the hiding part can be toggled in the options menu, not a 100% sure though. Been a while since I ran a “clean” ESO.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:
    Is it really that bad? But OK if it is, fair one. :)
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    edited June 2019
    I disagree on a few, newer players should not be concerned at all with combat metrics and being DPS stat whores.  It isn't needed for entry level content.
    OzmodanKyleran
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This is definitely a WoW player's list. Make it look as much like WoW as possible.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

This is definitely a WoW player's list. Make it look as much like WoW as possible.

Just imagine - games of the same genre having the same information displayed via 3rd party user made mods.

Shocking !!
    rojoArcueidKyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    The only addon I ever used was one to find skyshards. Then, after a while, i came to the conclusion it took the fun out of discovering them, sort of ran against the idea of discovery itself. So I removed it.

Now I don't run any.
    OzmodanScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    edited June 2019
    EasyTravel is a convenient one too. Bring up your map and right click on any zone to travel to for free if any friends or guild members are there.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Nanfoodle said:
    YES! :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Sovrath said:

The only addon I ever used was one to find skyshards. Then, after a while, i came to the conclusion it took the fun out of discovering them, sort of ran against the idea of discovery itself. So I removed it.

Now I don't run any.

the way it should be. add ons make the game easier. takes the fun out of it. ruined WoW. now people dont have a clue how to play games without them. probably why alot of PC players wont play console. too hard for em.
    OzmodanScot[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    OG_Zorvan said:
    AUI spends the majority of it's time broken unless/until someone other than the author bothers to make a fix, so I stopped bothering with it. Bandits UI has been a nice replacement.

I couldn't agree more!

These are my favorite ESO addons right now:

Assist Rapid Riding:
    Changes one of your action slots to 'Rapid Maneuver' (RM) when mounting.

Bandits User Interface:
    It's Advanced UI, but on steroids. ; )

•  Different UI styles, Themes
    •  Activity Finder
    •  Group & Raid frames, re-grouper, death counter, ability to see group members stats, buffs
    •  Combat statistics, combat log, group statistics
    •  Buffs, Widgets, Ability timers
    •  Combat reticle and reticle timers
    •  Quick slots manager
    •  Custom bar
    •  Combat notifications <3
    •  Frames movement mode (default and add-on)
    •  Automation
    •  Healer helper
    •  Champion system helper
    •  And much more!

Screenshot Helper:
    When hiding the UI to take a screenshot, it also hides all floating markers, enemy glow, etc., and it allows you to move the camera and even adjust the field of view.

Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter:
    Really speeds up the time you usually spend on doing crafting writs, especially when doing them on multiple characters!

Votans Advanced Settings:
    Allows you to change additional graphic/display client configuration settings (UserSettings.txt).

Votan's Fisherman:
    Shows which type of bait to use, stores type of fish caught, etc.

Votan's Mini Map:
    A light-weight mini map option.

Lorebooks:
    Shows lorebook locations on your map.

Lost Treasure:
    Shows treasure map and survey locations.

MapPins:
    Adds map locations for dungeon bosses, chests, certain achievements, and much more.

SkyShards:
    Adds Skyshard locations on your map.

Tamriel Mapping:
    A light-weight alternative to other harvest addons.

Kyleran
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Is there an addon that makes the game entertaining?
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:
    Wouldn't it make sense then for developers to "fix" their games by incorporating at least the better mods into the games themselves?

The need to use mods is a huge turn off for me and I won't buy games these days which require them to be playable.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited July 2019
    Is there an addon that makes the game entertaining?
    Well, truthfully most MMORPGs these days need a mod for that issue.

Bad game design, just like for the others.

:D

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

OG_Zorvan said:
    AUI spends the majority of it's time broken unless/until someone other than the author bothers to make a fix, so I stopped bothering with it. Bandits UI has been a nice replacement.
    That is one big peeve I recall from my early WOW days, mods often being broken after a patch or update.

I really dislike my gameplay being disrupted by non functioning mods as unfortunately they become a too necessarily crutch to lean on.

Another concern, security, are there reliable sources for virus free mods these days?

Back in the "old days" WOW players were often picking up infected mods, even from the more popular web sites.