Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is NOT the Alterac Valley you are looking for...

124»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,906
    Siris23 said:
    Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
    First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
    It amazes me the number of "Vanilla Fanboys" that are just completely ignorant of WoW's patch history. As soon as they announced it was 1.12 I knew it it was going to be crap AV because it had been nerfed into the ground by then.

Did you even play Vanilla?
    because I dont remember the patch numbers. I just remeber AV was nerfed into the ground as TBC was coming along to be released to move people to Arena PvP which I hated.

Stizzled said:
    Galadourn said:
    I think the confusion is caused by the fact that Nostalrius (and other servers) were using pre-1.12 AV in the game; however, this was not historically accurate in terms of patch progression.
    Yeah, Nost used an approximation of the original AV. Yet, games still lasted less than an hour.

It wouldn't have mattered what version of AV Blizz used, the games still wouldn't last as long as they originally did. Players learn what works best, and just like it no longer takes 12 hours to clear MC it no longer takes 3 days to finish an AV.

This isn't Blizzard's fault. They can only recreate the game, not the experiences someone originally had. People are starting to realize that many of the things they remember from Vanilla didn't happen due to Vanilla's design, but due to players having no clue how to play it properly.

Edit: Not speaking directly to you, @Galadourn, just piggybacking off your Nost comment.
    I disagree. Old AV had stronger NPCs and more of them. 

Stizzled said:
    Psychos1s said:
    Siris23 said:
    Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
    First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
    It amazes me the number of "Vanilla Fanboys" that are just completely ignorant of WoW's patch history. As soon as they announced it was 1.12 I knew it it was going to be crap AV because it had been nerfed into the ground by then.

They could easily leave out the various nerfs that AV received. It would have zero effect on any other part of the game.
    It wouldn't have any effect on how long AV lasts either. People would still just ignore everything other than the towers/bunkers and rush to kill the boss. It's how you win AV, people figured out that everything else was a waste of time.
    again did you play Old AV? The nerf was done to speed it up. Removing NPCs, making the NPC fodder play.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,519
    Siris23 said:

because I dont remember the patch numbers. I just remeber AV was nerfed into the ground as TBC was coming along to be released to move people to Arena PvP which I hated.
    If you get bored look up the patch notes for 1.x up until 2.x (Burning Crusade). It's very informative. You get to see exactly when stuff changed and how. For example the Group Finder went through several iterations during 1.x and it's interesting to see how and then how the Battlegrounds grouper evolved into the Dungeon Finder and how that evolved.

I stop reading at Cata.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Stizzled said:
    Psychos1s said:
    Siris23 said:

They could easily leave out the various nerfs that AV received. It would have zero effect on any other part of the game.
    It wouldn't have any effect on how long AV lasts either. People would still just ignore everything other than the towers/bunkers and rush to kill the boss. It's how you win AV, people figured out that everything else was a waste of time.
    each boss is guarded by Boss NPC guards that can one shot. You couldnt do that rush stuff back then in Vanilla WoW before the nerf going into TBC

Kyleran said:
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

Ah, a green poster starting his answer with an insult and some assumptions. Great.

Is that old enough for you ?

They can use 1.12 character development and still use older versions of the content. Hell, they are already adding raid content progressively.
    They could have, but they specifically said they were implementing classic at 1.12 exactly as it was. Even the raids are going to be the 1.12 version with time gated access, not actual progression like vanilla.

You're literally complaining that Blizzard is doing what Blizzard said they were going to do.
    Proving once again the Blizzard dev lead who  once stated players only thought they wanted Classic WOW was more right than he was given credit for.
    Nah I know I want Old AV. been said for years now. Not the Intro to Pre-TBC version of AV that was nerfed into the ground to move the main form of PvP from BG to Arenas...

Kyleran said:
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

Ah, a green poster starting his answer with an insult and some assumptions. Great.

Is that old enough for you ?

They can use 1.12 character development and still use older versions of the content. Hell, they are already adding raid content progressively.
    They could have, but they specifically said they were implementing classic at 1.12 exactly as it was. Even the raids are going to be the 1.12 version with time gated access, not actual progression like vanilla.

You're literally complaining that Blizzard is doing what Blizzard said they were going to do.
    Proving once again the Blizzard dev lead who  once stated players only thought they wanted Classic WOW was more right than he was given credit for.
    Not so sure AV is going to make or break Classic WoW.

Yes, PvP had high points in WoW in the past, but PvP was never the focus of the game, despite the name and setting.  PvE was always its focus.
    I disagree. Most people here on this site may not want to admit it, but Old AV was pretty much the hype appeal of Warhammer Online and GW2's WvW.

I remember on the forums Warhammer Online was pretty much compared to a World AV. Same with WvW in GW2 it was suppose to be a long lasting large scale battle like Old AV was. By the time both of those games came out, AV was long nerfed and dead compared to its classic WoW version of Old AV. 

goboygo said:
    This is exactly the AV your looking for based on the build number they are launching with.  It's exactly the way AV was at that point in time, bugs and all.  This isnt day one Wow, your post makes no sense.
    People wanted Old AV, not the AV that was nerfed coming into TBC's Blizzcon. We all know this. Most of us dont know the patch numbers. We simply relate Old AV to Vanilla WoW, which most assume Classic WoW is all about. Old AV been a requested feature for YEARS. Blizzard should have known this.

Torval said:
    Siris23 said:

If you get bored look up the patch notes for 1.x up until 2.x (Burning Crusade). It's very informative. You get to see exactly when stuff changed and how. For example the Group Finder went through several iterations during 1.x and it's interesting to see how and then how the Battlegrounds grouper evolved into the Dungeon Finder and how that evolved.

I stop reading at Cata.
    No point in doing that now. The only thing that interested me in this Classic WoW trend was the possiblity to play Old AV again, which now been confirmed in this thread for me that its not going to have Old AV but the nerfed version that we had going into TBC. I will pass on it and Classic WoW. Hope you like it though if you plan to get it.
    Torval

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Stizzled said:
    Psychos1s said:
    Siris23 said:

again did you play Old AV? The nerf was done to speed it up. Removing NPCs, making the NPC fodder play.
    I did play it back in the day, and I played the closest thing we've had to it since when it released on Nost. I stick by what I said, it wouldn't have made any difference.

It's probably best that Blizzard decided to not copy the original version of AV. The disappointment your feeling at not getting it is probably far less than you would have felt had you gotten it and then it didn't play out as you expected.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,155
    I've missed Korrack and friends ;)

That's AV Classic imho
    Jean-Luc_Picard

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,519
    edited June 25
    Torval said:
    Siris23 said:

I stop reading at Cata.
    No point in doing that now. The only thing that interested me in this Classic WoW trend was the possiblity to play Old AV again, which now been confirmed in this thread for me that its not going to have Old AV but the nerfed version that we had going into TBC. I will pass on it and Classic WoW. Hope you like it though if you plan to get it.
    Oh, I'm not going to play it. I just thought the info may be useful to you.

If I played an old truly old-school MMO right now it would be City of Heroes. Other than that I'll play Project Gorgon or maybe hop into ESO for a while. I don't play many online games right now.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,728
    Is it a big issue on the Battlenet forums, is it being discussed ?

I'm sure Blizzard/Activision, is trying to give the players what they want.  Since AV is an instanced part of the game, I'm sure it could be changed.

If it is and the version is still being tested.... Lets see if they solve the issue or the word "testing" is just that, a word. 

I'm interested in the outcome of this issue.... To many games are getting away with using the word "testing" when its really the final product. 
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    "Hmm, I guess I missed that early one altogether while I slowly leveled doing just PvE."

That's EXACTLY why when Wowpedia was created and how it and the other wikis were trying to ERASE patch history from sites (yes, they were ... and were making such a fuss about it at MMOC, too), people were arguing to keep those notes for history sake!

We played during X.X.X patches and remember the game FROM those patches. Why 3.3.5 I'll never forget no matter how Blizzard, and it's friendly sites, try to distort the historical record even.

You showed WHY, too.