Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have been your saddest MMO shut down(s)? (ignoring private servers if they exist)

Comments

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    SWG but it went downhill before the Combat Upgrade.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    The Matrix Online...I know...I know.
    I forgot about Matrix Online, there is still nothing like it today, it was so imaginative and ahead of it's time that it failed.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Tabula Rasa
    boris20Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Nothing was really devastating, but I miss the Chronicles of Spellborn, SWG, and Warhammer.
    Beezerbeez
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Earth & Beyond
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Asherons Call
  • TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Legend of Mir 3

First experience of playing with a good guild (Destiny Awaits) and playing in a lot of group content. Guild went on to WoW when it launched. I didn't follow for a couple of years. Thought WoW looked to cartoony after UO and Mir.

Earth & Beyond was also a big loss. Played EvE from 2003 but it was never as engaging in my opinion.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    SWG and Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising.  Wish I could have played G&H more as it had some unique game play that none of the other games have done.  Unpolished, but enjoyable.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited June 2019
    Being a bachelor was a sad MMO i lost and rediscovering it would be very expensive.

And SWG.
    Kylerandragonlee66wingood
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    WildStar! :smiley:
    gunklacker

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Sad about MMO closures?  Never! I'm more likely to be seen dancing over their graves at midnight.

>:) 
    Cryomatrix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    CoH and SWG
    wingood

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    No doubt SWG.....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Let's see, how about WOW? No wait, I'm projecting again, side effect of the meds.

Games I wish I could have played during their heydays or before closure, several including Tabula Rasa, AC, The Matrix, to name just a few.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Earth and Beyond, Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa. Was playing all of those when they got the axe...started to think i was a jinx:P

gunklacker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    The day EA decided to cancel UO2.

I think it didn't only affect me, but the whole MMORPG history, and that made the definitive turn towards EQ/WoW level+class based clones.

I'm pretty sure that if this didn't happen, the actual MMORPG offer would be quite different.

Of the games in that time period, EQ2, WoW, and UO2, etc. the one I was looking forward most to was UO2.  It could have changed the MMOing world.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    edited June 2019
    Definitely CoH
    I have some good news for all of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrs_B6WRRJM

No, I won't ignore private servers =p
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited June 2019
    1) Wish.

Never even left beta.  First MMO with a completely free form skill system (no classes) and the first to do the 'megaserver'.

2) Auto Assault.

Damn unique game. Nothing like it ever tried to replace it to this day.  If private servers exist of this, I'd probably go play in a heartbeat.

3) FFXIV 1.0, before the combat update.  (sounds familiar, doesn't it?)

I can pretty much echo what Albatroes said about FFXI.  1.0 was an immersive game moreso than a "good MMO".  The game slowly changed into FFXI-2, then into WoW after its re-release and subsequent expansions.  Now with Shadowbringers coming out, the game will be more like WoW than it has in its lifetime.. and I can only see it continuing to go downhill just like WoW did. Unlike Blizzard, SE is grossly incompetent on the technical side, and the game doesn't have massive amounts of QoL features to hold itself up with.

I mean for god's sake the game in 2019 still looks worse than it did in 2010 and ShB isn't improving ANYTHING engine/graphic wise despite dropping 32bit/DX9/PS3 support.

That's my top 3.

I never got to play SWG, or else it'd probably be on my list.

Special mention to Matrix Online which a few others mentioned. That was pretty unique at the time.
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Easily SWG

It was ten times the game than that steaming pile of cow dung they replaced it with.

Only wish I had given it more time than I did.  I was playing EVE a lot more because I figured SWG would be around forever and EVE would close in a couple of years. 

Boy did I ever get those two backwards.
    CryomatrixPalebane
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Warhammer Online :(
    Scorchiengunklacker
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Viper482 said:
    Warhammer Online :(
    But you can still play it , and this version is better than the one that was shut down ..

gunklackerKyleran
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    yeah the obvious really,swg and vanguard also warhammer online was a big shame ,just needed some more love and time i think.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Tiller said:
    For me SWG was dead long before it shut down, but I would  have to say SWG.
    True dat monokuma
    Tiller
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited June 2019
    Star Wars Galaxies. Not because I actually care about it at all, but because it unleashed an army of really jaded people onto forums everywhere.
    klash2defBeezerbeezgunklackercheeba