Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have been your saddest MMO shut down(s)? (ignoring private servers if they exist)

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
For me, its actually a few, hard to choose between them.

Asheron's Call, only because it was my first MMO so it held a special place in my heart. A truly unique MMO that could been classified as a sandpark and showed that you can make a game without forced grouping while giving a reason to group (which many did)

next never left beta, but it was amazing for just a beta. I was in beta and I'd have been playing that instead of WoW, granted it did have similar WoW-esque mechanics to it...

Stargate Worlds

Not many heard of it or got a chance to play beta, but it was amazing

Next I'd say probably Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa. AA never really got a chance, but its a game that still hasn't been re-made. Tabula Rasa showed you can actually have a good AI in an MMO without it being brain dead and standing in one place.

What about for you guys/gals?
AmatheKyleranMyrdynn

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ohh man, the two that annoyed me most were Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault. The first because it had a crazy amount of potential and was fun to play while also featuring some great mechanics. The second one because it was unique and shut down pretty fast.

Honourable mention goes to WAR and Vanguard. Because I knew that we would never get a Warhammer MMORPG again or an MMORPG on the scale of Vanguard.

But yeah, Tabula Rasa most, I loved it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    immodiumKyleranPalebane
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    There are some online games shutdown made me sad , but there are no MMORPG among them , because i always left before i even have bound with them
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    SWG for me. The worst part was, my video card blew one week before the servers shut down and I didn't manage to fix it until the day after they shut down. So i missed the last day event and didn't get to say g-bye to a lot of people. :(
    Shoko_Lied
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Auto Assault. That was my first MMO to shut down, and the whole concept of it was like a slap in the face. Grewing up on games which are products, even later in the online era (Quake, CS, but MUDs too) it was always the case that you can play the game, no matter what.

The idea of someone, somewhere decides to flip a switch and your whole game (box, discs) are just paperweight or useless memorabilia - mind boggling. Many MMOs were shutting down from under me after AA, but that first one is still the worse.
    Not to mention AA was a really fun game, and unique to this very day - nope, Crossout is not even close.
    Palebane
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    The saddest was definitely Planetside 1. I knew it was coming though. There were only maybe like 10 people on at a time sometimes. But the last few days before it shut down were really fun and packed too!
    Shoko_LiedPalebane
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    SWG we told the devs sent in a petition with over 1 mill sigs they would not listen. Now they are gone.
    PalebaneHatefull
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    City of Heroes closing was a real bummer.

I was disappointed in the abandonment of EQ Next. 
    Blaze_RockerBeezerbeezwingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWG and Marvel Heroes.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Vanguard.
    [Deleted User]AdamantineBeezerbeez
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Lineage 1 for sure. I still love this game. It lives on through private servers. But if they ever brought it back officially, I would be there.
    Kyleran
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    none, I stoped playing long before some games closed so I don't care much, and tehr eis alwyas something new
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Asheron's Call
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I was not sad when SWG shut down. I was more sad that no other MMO seemed to copy the good parts of SWG but instead went for coping EQ1.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    SWG, yeah
    Palebane
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Definitely CoH
    Blaze_Rockerwingood

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I can't count SWG since I left before it shutdown and never looked back due to NGE.  So I'd say Asheron's Call 2 and Auto Assualt as a close second.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    For me is was a small game called Troy.  One of the few pvp experiences I played and enjoyed in a game.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've never had one shut down that I was still playing but I did have in mind going back to COH at some point and then it went poof.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Wildstar - so much potential. Best raids I have ever had the privilege to play.
    Seelinnikoi
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The Matrix Online...I know...I know.
    SovrathSlyLoK

Joined - July 2004

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Motor City Online- I joined about 8 months before it shut down , Was my first MMO and the most in depth Car racer/sim/builder i have ever played. They use to advertise this game in car & driver and hot rod magazine, Hell,  its where i found it. Point being if you were a mechanic or a real gear head you had a huge advantage in this game which was super cool.  Its bizarre such a obscure niche game is what got me into MMO's and PC gaming in general. O also my 2001 gateway Potato with integrated graphics chip could run this game which was cool

Anyway the final day was super depressing ,  The devs were just giving away and gifting all super rare cars everyone  in chat was saying their goodbye's and cursing EA to hell, I think this is where my hatred for EA Began & Madden just amplified it over the years. 

MCO had a certain charm that went beyond good gameplay mechanics and car building. The aesthetics of the game really tapped into that Hot Rod / muscle car era of the 50's and 60's. It was a game that was way ahead of its time and TBH was wayy too niche of genre to ever really have a chance at success, at least in the early part of the 2000's.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Without a doubt ... COH .. thankfully there are private servers now. 
    wingood
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    For me SWG was dead long before it shut down, but I would  have to say SWG.
    Shoko_Lied
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    WAR. nothing else had that awesome RVR from level 1 to cap, you could literally never do any pve and hit cap level, not to mention i prefer that artstyle.
    boris20centkinbcbullyAlexanderVendi[Deleted User]PerjureBeezerbeez
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    Well FFXI hasn't shut down, but still seeing it in its current state is still heartbreaking all the same. The current state just feels like walking through a museum and seeing what things used to be like while offering people a taste of things from the paste without the entire experience. No matter how many tries I give it, its still feels like a shell of its former self just existing in the current time to remind people of how it used to be. I'll never join a private server for it either simply because playing that game was like existing in another world, not just playing a game. The old game was a massive time sink (for me, in a good way), so to do all of that over again in a state that tries to 'recreate' the past only to either be shutdown at anymore or altered on a whim whenever the people running it feel like, feels soul crushing just to think about.

My guess is that their "big 20th anniversary" news will just be them opening official FFXI classic servers, but I dont even know how I'll feel about that. Lol, I'm already old and 'lost' almost a decade of my life to that game (no real regrets) and some things I simply can't do like I did back in those days (like being up at 2 am camping HNMs or doing dynamis Xarcabard for close to 2 years just to get thief hands, talk about horrible RNG).