Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 4 Shown to French Employees & is Headed to BlizzCon 2019

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    As long as they don't retread the mistakes they made with 3.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited June 2019
    Limnic said:
    As long as they don't retread the mistakes they made with 3.
    I would like to see some inspiration from both 2 and 3. 

Yes, give us the Diablo 2 or Path of Exile progression tree for long term progression, but the flaw of both of these games is that low and mid level gameplay are not fun. The Diablo 3 rune system is absolutely phenomenal for low and mid level play. Give us both the progression tree and the rune system. It's the best of both worlds.
    alkarionlog
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Diablo 4,ok...cartoony graphics?? Plz no..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited June 2019
    snoocky said:
    Diablo 4,ok...cartoony graphics?? Plz no..
    why? it worked on WoW...lol

serious after they did on D3 i'm not expecting much, talk again about it after launch and people crying they fucked the series again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    here's the bet: mmo-ish or not? I'm betting on the former.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2019
    I get that people are excited for D4 news, but.....lets not forget how 'great' D3 was and how long it took for them to 'fix' it.

As for a Diablo mmorpg, I thought WoW was essentially that now....?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Key phrase: "2020 at the earliest". In management terms it may not happen for years.

Even the fact that they have artists "working on a new, unannounced Diablo project" doesn't mean much. At any given time companies have a) active developments on-going with hundreds possibly even thousands (e.g RDR2) of people working on it plus b) some concept projects involving small teams.

When AB is seriously - seriously - working on Diablo 4 we will know about it.
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I hope they go back to D1/D2's art direction and not D3's. It's a Diablo game from hell, not a Jesus game. :D

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I would guess "traditional" online ARPG, up to 4 players etc. like Diablo 3.

I don't think Diablo players want new mechanics, I would assume to think they want new content, new classes, better story.

Diablo 3 evolved into a great game, but you can only spend so many hundreds of hours doing the same thing over and over again.

They could simply re-model/texture Diablo 3, add some new story chapters w/ their standard amazing cutscenes, expand the lore and take us to new locales with a couple of new classes and call it Diablo 4.

That being said... I'd be curious to see Blizzard's take on a more visceral FromSoft style ARPG vs. the traditional Diablo 2.5D isometric.
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'd like a World of Diablo, because I like the lore, and they could dive into it more over a broadened world to explore also, and I think they'd come up with some pretty fun classes.

I don't want to lose my PC master race card, but I've never played a Starcraft game, which is why I'd love to play World of Starcraft also. A different sci-fi based setting would be nice.

Blizz, feel free to use these names for your game. I give you permission.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    BadSpock said:
    I would guess "traditional" online ARPG, up to 4 players etc. like Diablo 3.

I don't think Diablo players want new mechanics, I would assume to think they want new content, new classes, better story.

Diablo 3 evolved into a great game, but you can only spend so many hundreds of hours doing the same thing over and over again.

They could simply re-model/texture Diablo 3, add some new story chapters w/ their standard amazing cutscenes, expand the lore and take us to new locales with a couple of new classes and call it Diablo 4.

That being said... I'd be curious to see Blizzard's take on a more visceral FromSoft style ARPG vs. the traditional Diablo 2.5D isometric.
    FromSoft games are the literal opposite of Diablo games. A spinoff in that style would be interesting, but mainline Diablo should not take any inspiration from Souls.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Aeander said:

FromSoft games are the literal opposite of Diablo games. A spinoff in that style would be interesting, but mainline Diablo should not take any inspiration from Souls.
    Very true, hence my curiosity :smile:

I don't know, Blizzard likes to emulate things, but then put their own spin on them. I feel the current "craze" in RPG's is open world.. has been for a while, I know...

Open world can be very bad or quite good. We've had a lot of both recently. I think everyone was/is influenced by Breath of the Wild, by Witcher 3, by Red Dead Redemption, Horizon Zero Dawn, even the success of the last two Assassin's Creed titles. 

Other big buzz is "game as a service" aka not an MMO but MMO-lite with continual updates/new content etc. Destiny, Division, Anthem... 

So "Open World ARPG Game as a Service" would be an interesting genre for Diablo 4 to fit into... but these concepts are opposite in the more "traditional" randomly generated levels + ass ton of demons to slaughter that defined Diablo.

I don't know, like I said I don't think Blizzard is going to try and get fancy. Hopefully they have learned enough to stick to their core audience with Diablo 4, which means "more of the same as Diablo 3 but better."
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Diablo will never be as good as it was because Blizzard neuters everything to be inclusive. This means Diablo will no longer be grim, bloody, serious. 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    Iv waited so long for this 

Post edited by JeffSpicoli on
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    What features will Diablo 4 have that couldn't be an expansion for Diablo 3?

What will set Diablo 4 apart?

They are going to have to do something pretty spectacular to get me to play Diablo 4 instead of Path of Exile.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    You wanna bet that Overwatch 2 is gonna have a lot of features from Lawbreakers?
    And that Diablo 4 will be more akin to Path of Exile?

You read it here first! <3
    Lol no. Blizzard likes to keep things simple. No convoluted builds that require tons of fixing and balancing in their games.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ceh430ceh430 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Diablo MMO here we go!!! (i wish:P)
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited June 2019
    1. 2022: Diablo 4 releases
    2. 2025: Warcraft 4 (RTS) releases; W3 Reforged served to bring part of the staff back up to speed with RTS games
    3. 2026: Last WoW expansion, aligning WoW's story with W4
    4. 2027: W4 expansion
    5. 2028: Last WoW content patch - bridging W4's ending with the next game
    6. 2029: WoW2 releases; 25th anniversary
    I have seen the future.

sschrupp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I never even bought 3...I think 2 was the apex for me.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Let me guess it's going to be a mobile...Don't you guys have phones!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    After playing D3,i'll gladly take things that make me say no for 200.Correct answer Diablo 4.

D3 to me looked unfinished,like a lazy effort stopped short because Blizzard knows by now,just whip it out half assed and it will still make millions.
    I bet their little party of over paid execs even think along the lines of...."how much more would we actually sell,if we did this better" and they would all say, "likely not much more,so let's just release it now ,the way it is".

If they spent more than 6 months making any of the Diablo games,they wasted a lot of money and time and i have no question at all,this D4 will be an even cheaper game.Blizzard is all about upping profits,lowering costs,i can hardly wait to see what they have in store for this cash shop.

Iselin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Wizardry said:
    After playing D3,i'll gladly take things that make me say no for 200.Correct answer Diablo 4.

D3 to me looked unfinished,like a lazy effort stopped short because Blizzard knows by now,just whip it out half assed and it will still make millions.
    I bet their little party of over paid execs even think along the lines of...."how much more would we actually sell,if we did this better" and they would all say, "likely not much more,so let's just release it now ,the way it is".

If they spent more than 6 months making any of the Diablo games,they wasted a lot of money and time and i have no question at all,this D4 will be an even cheaper game.Blizzard is all about upping profits,lowering costs,i can hardly wait to see what they have in store for this cash shop.

You think of Blizzard games as half assed?

That's odd, I've always seen them as very polished games.  Just because they are targeted at a different demographic than the one I belong to, doesn't mean they are half assed.
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276

laserit said:

I'm surprised that there is no release date for Diablo Immortal as of yet.

Makes me wonder if they've gotten cold feet.

pax release most likely they wont have gotten cold feet with it because people will still try it it was essentially made and china will get it, and all it takes is an english translation really not too much work
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You wanna bet that Overwatch 2 is gonna have a lot of features from Lawbreakers?

I haven't seen a game crash and burn as hard as Lawbreakers in a long time.  I think Blizzard is pretty good at reading the writing on the wall and won't go anywhere near the Lawbreakers burning corpse.