Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have we become ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited June 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Judging from the negativity here... It's only doom and gloom.  

It's one thing to say mmorpgs are going down hill..... but in regards to the response I'm seeing, it's worst... Seems everyone truly views failure.  With that, EVERY future post about ANYTHING at all is a worthless topic.  

Has this site turned into a site about semantics ?

An argument just to catch a wrong statement and capitalize on it with creative writing ? 
I'm no better, but I recently created a positive post and most everyone bird shit all over it. 

We need a good mmorpg to turn things around..... Sadly the next best thing is more than a year away. 
mmolouPhaserlightJeffSpicoliAsheramjimmywolfalkarionlog

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Forums have always been about this.
    SBFordHatefullJeffSpicoliAsheramKyleranklash2defNoobmaster_95
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    I never realized this Taking Heads video existed... Thanks :)
    [Deleted User]
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    mobile waifu gacha game player
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Isn't the point of a post to make a point? Whether the idea behind it is positive or negative is kind of irrelevant or at the very least shouldn't be considered if you're trying to get across a point. Too many people are looking at how things are being said instead of the actual things being said. That's what separates both an adult from a child and someone who is secure from someone who is not. In a perfect world, everyone's points would have flowers around them, but also in a perfect world, there wouldn't be problems. Problems exists and solutions aren't always arrived at the way we want, but if we want to solve the problem, it shouldn't matter how the solution is presented. But its also important to note the difference between how the solution is presented and how it is achieved, since offering an idea doesn't automatically mean it should be acted upon.
    jimmywolfGdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Arterius said:
    DMKano said:
    I didn't know this song had a video or that the band who sang it is called Talking Heads
    I saw the Talking Heads at the Philadelphia Zoo in 1978 , was 14  , was there on a family trip , and stayed right there and watched the show while family toured the Zoo , was very cool , in cidently had just won the State Championship for Football that year also
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Hey man, I've written plenty of positive things about the MMORPG I'm playing, and the state of video games in general.

Maybe change the channel?

Controversial topics tend to get more debate (responses), so that may be what you are tuning in to.
    Kyleran

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
    How to make a thread? I'd like to post about a mmo that might bring some hope again
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Judging from the negativity here... It's only doom and gloom.  

It's one thing to say mmorpgs are going down hill..... but in regards to the response I'm seeing, it's worst... Seems everyone truly views failure.  With that, EVERY future post about ANYTHING at all is a worthless topic.  

Has this site turned into a site about semantics ?

An argument just to catch a wrong statement and capitalize on it with creative writing ? 
    I'm no better, but I recently created a positive post and most everyone bird shit all over it. 

We need a good mmorpg to turn things around..... Sadly the next best thing is more than a year away. 
    You constantly set yourself against everyone else, your point of view seems to be: Only my definitions and opinions matter, everyone else is just inferior. You constantly set up strawman arguments to support your (usually borderline insane) ideas, you constantly try to redefine long-standing MMORPG terminology to fit within your scope of how things are, you try to sell your opinions as facts...

And now you want to know why you get hit with a shit storm of negativity when you post? Self-licking ice cream cone dude.
    mmoloubartoni33delete5230SBFordKyleran[Deleted User]GdemamiAmatheRich84dragonlee66and 1 other.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited June 2019
    'Self-licking ice cream cone dude'

Sounds tasty.
    delete5230
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    DMKano said:

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• OutaiOutai Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I've been lurking here with different accounts for a while now... Am I imagining things or has the site really changed for better compared to some years ago. I remember this site has mostly always been particularly negative.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Sometimes negativity is justified.

If someone served you a half baked shit sandwich you would be justified in being negative about it.

Also sometimes it may not just be doom and gloom it might just be reality. Just list the MMORPGs currently being developed.

Look at the rampant greed, lack of customer care, basic lack of decency, and just outright lies and contempt the gaming industry has. Loot boxes, day one dlc, season passes, cash shops, unfinished full price games with predatory cash shops... it goes on and on...

If you follow the video games industry at all I only have to say Electronic Arts and the negativity is instantly justified.

I love World of Warcraft, can not wait for Classic and am currently vastly enjoying playing City of Heroes. There are positives I like stuff and can mention it, but there is some obviously justified negativity.

doomexjimmywolfKyleranGdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2019
    Arterius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Arterius said:
    DMKano said:
    I didn't know this song had a video or that the band who sang it is called Talking Heads
    I saw the Talking Heads at the Philadelphia Zoo in 1978 , was 14  , was there on a family trip , and stayed right there and watched the show while family toured the Zoo , was very cool , in cidently had just won the State Championship for Football that year also
    Thats really cool. I was -12 in 1978 haha though I wish  I could have been born earlier so I could have seen Prince, Queen, ACDC, or anyone good in concert
    I was 12 in 1978 too!

[Deleted User]
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Scorchien said:
    Arterius said:
    DMKano said:
    Saw them at one of their Armadillo World HQ gigs that year.  Pretty sensational.  B-52s opened for them.  Later on, caught them on their Stop Making Sense tour, which was superb. 

Seeing them at 14 must have been a trip and a half.  ;)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2019
    OP kind of makes it sound like our failure and that it really matters of which neither is true.
    Devs are just trying to sell us crap,we don't need to buy it nor do we need to say crap is good.

We also don't NEED to play their lousy games,if that is all they want to sell us well then i'll find something else to do,not like gaming is the only thing on this planet.Example taking family to the car races tonight,watch movies,sports,i like watching MMA,the hockey draft was today and if gaming is all you like,i am sure we all have many choices we can fall back on that does not force us to play crappy for sale games.

The gaming is market is in a decline from a developers standpoint but is not as simple as the statement sounds.15-20 years ago the devs were giving us their best effort or a really good effort,they just had less tools,less tech/smarts.Now a days they have a plethora of knowledge and tools yet still want to sell us old work that has already been done 20 years ago.So although a game might look better than 20 years ago,they are not putting in the effort they could be or should be,usually only visually better is not really better.

I know what devs can do and they could make some absolutely mind blowing great games,but they choose not to,so i choose not to give them any money....simple.
    delete5230jimmywolf

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wizardry said:
    OP kind of makes it sound like our failure and that it really matters of which neither is true.
    Devs are just trying to sell us crap,we don't need to buy it nor do we need to say crap is good.

Devs get funding through publishers who are more likely to invest in low-risk games sell a lot of copies.  Most of the games I think are crap are very popular games that people play and love, so publishers fund devs to make games just like them.

And most people on this site seem to think kickstarter is the devil and breaking the above model of funding is the devil.  

The way to turn it around is not being superficial pricks - support, play, and spend money on mmorpgs.  If the genre makes money more games will be made for it.  The main issue is people comes to sites like this and get their opinions from the big-wigs that love MMOs and not mmorpgs, so avoid new mmorpgs because they heard they were shit.  New mmorpgs fail, and then fail and then fail again, so now we have all MMOs and no new mmorpgs.

Hopefully Classic will turn it around, and hopefully people will actually speak with their wallet and actually try new mmorpgs that come out, like Ship of Heroes, City of Titan, Pantheon, etc.  

Like any market, it will supply what people are spending money on - and that doesn't seem to be mmorpgs and that has been true for quite a while.  It seems silly to complain about the death of a genre no one is playing or supporting.  
    Gdemami
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
     ... but I recently created a positive post and most everyone bird shit all over it. 

Let's see, the man who has made a gazillion posts stating the exact same thing from every angle under the sun, is shocked that everyone took it for exactly what it was... YET ANOTHER POST stating the exact same thing.

You create posts because you can.

Doesn't mean you should.

There is a difference.

But you wouldn't see it if it smacked right on the nose... I give you another hour or two before posting another new post stating exactly the same thing again.

Tin foil hat here... perhaps, just perhaps, the reason there are no games you like to play is because there is a conspiracy against you... that the more posts you make... the more likely they are going to do the exact opposite and make even more games you despise.

Only way to test that theory is to go 1 year without making any more posts.

Doubt you can do it.  In fact, I KNOW you can't do it.
    KyleranHatefull
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    Outai said:
    I've been lurking here with different accounts for a while now... Am I imagining things or has the site really changed for better compared to some years ago. I remember this site has mostly always been particularly negative.
    Oh no,  we're still the same Dark Side of the Looking Glass we've always been, welcome home.

;)
    HatefullPhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hey man, I've written plenty of positive things about the MMORPG I'm playing, and the state of video games in general.

Maybe change the channel?

Controversial topics tend to get more debate (responses), so that may be what you are tuning in to.
    All of the OPs posts are attention seeking, controversial and designed to provoke a negative response.....which he clearly gets.

Even the mock surprise and hurt at the negativity is all contrived in an effort to paint themselves as a "victim" of all of the terrible old meanies here on the site.

You reap what you sow.
    TokkenRexKushmanHatefullAmathePhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited June 2019
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'm enjoying myself between ESO and Destiny 2 right now. 

Personally, I'm not excited for any MMO, old/new... well maybe the relaunch of Destiny  this fall but really I'm just waiting for this moment next year

Yesterday while cleaning my wife found a box full of my old PC Gamer magazines in the attic and it's funny how excited people were back then for MMOs myself included... it was truly the gold rush, I am actually surprised that there were so many MMO covers.  Good memories.

I kept the Planetside cover as a reminder of what pure innovation looks like and I kept the SWTOR one as an example of what some innovation looks like when HYPE overtakes it. When the hype is bigger than the game it's destined to fail. Super true for MMOs.

The tagline for the Planetside issue reads "THE WORLDS FIRST MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER "PLANETSIDE" FROM THE CREATORS OF EVERQUEST!"   

that issue also had a strategy guide for Baldur's Gate 2

The tagline for the SWTOR issue reads "STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC, THE BIGGEST MMO EVER" 

lol...we put the rest of the magazines in the trash.
    [Deleted User]Vermillion_Raventhaldragonlee66Baalzharonbcbully[Deleted User]Grunt350[Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I became older
    I became wiser
    I became an MMORPG.com member

Life’s been pretty sweet.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kylerandelete5230HatefullPhryMendelAmatheGutlardAgent_Joseph[Deleted User][Deleted User]and 1 other.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There are no good games out there except the one or two that I think will be "true" mmos. Anyone who feels differently than me is wrong and a shill for the cash shop industry.  Hey, why are you guys so negative? Thing One, Thing Two. 
    KyleranPhaserlightHatefullAeanderShaddyDaddyRich84kitaradcheyanebcbully[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    There are dark clouds on the horizon, but there is also hope.

Gut Out!
    dragonlee66[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Gutlard said:
    There are dark clouds on the horizon, but there is also hope.

Gut Out!
    Always carry an umbrella or a good solo player game when the outlook is gloomy. :)
    dragonlee66[Deleted User]
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    We always have Star Citizen...
    Rich84Phaserlightcheyanedragonlee66Hatefull[Deleted User]