Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard SHOULD have a secret World of Warcraft 2 in the making.

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    k61977 said:

I'll leave you with this,

If you’re a nay slayer, and argue against this….. Why post on mmorpg.com ?

Simply to talk about the past or crush everyones dreams ? 

Wasn't going to comment till I read that part.  I am a naysayer in this respect an I have as much right to post my opinions as you do that is why I am going to post. 

There is no way they would even consider doing this at this point.  Why would they want to compete with their own game?  Making WoW 2.0 is not going to bring all those people back who have unsubbed at this point.  They would be better off making another game in an entirely different IP than WoW. 

Hell they have started an scraped more than one game already.
    Lets explore this.... It's by far not the first time this was discussed.

ANY company would realize an award winning product will have an end. 
    SOMEDAY this will come, when is another subject but it WILL END !

Survival or better yet re-doing that can "pack a punch" can reset and bring the company to NEW again..... It's like saying be number one twice !..... Blizzard has the money and the know how to do it :)

Being exactly WoW 2 ?.... Wouldn't recommend it.

Key words here:
    Be #1 twice !
    Part of what you are missing is Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore.  That company is long gone.  It's hard to do a repeat of something when you are no longer that group.  My wife's family worked for the original team that made WoW.  What you have now is a shadow in comparison in reality.  You have a company in name only now.  So for them to recapture the feel of a game designed for gamers by gamers, the ones there now don't have a clue.
    jimmywolf
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    In what ways could WoW 2 improve on the original WoW? How should it be different in your opinion?
    I say WoW 2 to pack a punch, meaning Blizzard. 

New lore, new world, new fantasy...... Hell, keep the same formula of abilities and style format (I would recommend classic difficulty)  Think outside the box with a new mmorpg...... Blizzard but not WoW, they have the money and resources, and are simply in the business.

This is my suggestion, their are many others.
    If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that Blizzard should make a new MMORPG, not "WoW 2". Or am I not getting you.
    Yes..... Maybe I should change the topic name. I have a bad habit of assuming people understand my analogies.... sorry :(
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Psychos1s said:
    I honestly think, Blizzard are using the classic relaunch as a test bed to see how players react to older mechanics. It seems like it's finally dawned on them that the constant streamlining of everything has gone too far and taken away from the MMO experience.

You can see from the articles on here lately, devs talking about how ability pruning was too much and asking whether a level squish is viable. I think if classic is a hit they'll take the ideas from it and roll with em.

It's too late for them to change this sort of thing in retail, Pandora's box was opened and there ain't no closing it now.
    Bingo !!!!!! 
    Was thinking the same thing :)
    Only took them about ten years to realise that, but there is hope. :)
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    the main reason we won't get a new AAA MMO  for a long while that worth anything is cost.

a AAA MMO that will break the mold assuming done right could cost 500 million to closer to a billion since no one works for free and it take 3-5 years paying a staff of 100-300 employs.

during that time you have to keep all your staff focused working hard and trying push the limits of the MMO making quest people want to do, events and world people want explore, skills worth using and balance vs X amount other classes in pvp or pve content.

every day you have delays increase the cost and money talks, so burn out will happen.  your bonus depends on how quick it made so corner will be cut, people will get fed up so staff will leave, vision of what is a good mmo will vary between staff so changes will happen.  then they ask themselves is this game even worth it anymore and it gets scrap like blizzard did with overwatch making it a shooter.

it's much safer an cost effective to make a guarantee small profit that can spike higher consistently with games you already have, then chase then next big thing and hope people flock for a bigger profit.     

jimmywolf said:
    the main reason we won't get a new AAA MMO  for a long while that worth anything is cost.

a AAA MMO that will break the mold assuming done right could cost 500 million to closer to a billion since no one works for free and it take 3-5 years paying a staff of 100-300 employs.

during that time you have to keep all your staff focused working hard and trying push the limits of the MMO making quest people want to do, events and world people want explore, skills worth using and balance vs X amount other classes in pvp or pve content.

every day you have delays increase the cost and money talks, so burn out will happen.  your bonus depends on how quick it made so corner will be cut, people will get fed up so staff will leave, vision of what is a good mmo will vary between staff so changes will happen.  then they ask themselves is this game even worth it anymore and it gets scrap like blizzard did with overwatch making it a shooter.

it's much safer an cost effective to make a guarantee small profit that can spike higher consistently with games you already have, then chase then next big thing and hope people flock for a bigger profit.     

This makes me second guess going to work every day,
    I get up, spend an hour getting ready drinking coffee, shower, dressed.  Then the half hour drive to work,  driving slow or risking a ticket... If I get a ticket, the entire reason for going in the first place is out the window if I have to pay a fine.  Lets not forget the drive home and how tired I would be.... Best to not do nothing !

Big money, big companies are risk takers.... Big risk, big reward..... How would you like to be the founder of the entire cell phone network.... Syncing every phone to towers !.... This is all before the fact, you don't know how the public will react to the new technology or if it would even work.

The BIG INVESTMENT was before the fact.

Talking about billions lost. 
    No they should not make a WOW 2.   Have you seen what current Blizz has done to WOW?  They are having to release classic just to get people back so no they should just let it be.
    They have the money and are in the business of video games... Thats why they they can do it along with Microsoft or ArinaNet.... It would be smart to not have anything to do with current developers. The money, backing and the building is all thats needed :)
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    SWTOR, ESO, FF14, GW2...  People tried.  If it is so easy to make a better wow, it already happened.

So your talking about an investment that is even more massive...  to make a better version of wow?

• MmoWarlordMmoWarlord Member UncommonPosts: 16
    probly wont see wow 2 until they see if the mmorpg market is still worth investing in, their probly waiting to see if pantheon, or the other big mmo in development makes money and is sustainable income
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:
    What OP hasn't come to terms yet - every major video game company knows that making a new aaa mmorpg in 2019 is a financial risk not worth taking.

Now indie devs - a different story, but blizzard making a brand new WoW2 with new lore, new everything - you'd have a higher chance of throwing a rock from here to the moon.
    You think its that high.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    WoW 2? I don't know about that. I don't like what they did with WoW over the most recent years.

I'm looking forward to classic. They need to just get that working for now.

Get people like me off private servers and back as paying customers.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Blizzard would be idiots to make WoW2.  

Reality check my friend... if there were a real demand for such games, EVERYONE would be making them.  Over the last decade, those who have ventured into the market haven't really made much of a showing for their efforts.  Even Blizzard isn't doing well anymore.  Classic isn't going to save WoW... it's merely a stop gap for the rapid decline of BfA.

Look around... the largest growing market is mobile games.  Most people don't even use a desktop other than for work, that's a big change from back when WoW originally hit the streets.  Times have changed.  People's idea of entertainment has changed.  

You love old school so much, it's still out there... go play it.  No kickstarter on the planet will ever bring a renaissance to the genre... they'll just empty wallet.

[Deleted User]
    btdt said:
    Blizzard would be idiots to make WoW2.  

Reality check my friend... if there were a real demand for such games, EVERYONE would be making them.  Over the last decade, those who have ventured into the market haven't really made much of a showing for their efforts.  Even Blizzard isn't doing well anymore.  Classic isn't going to save WoW... it's merely a stop gap for the rapid decline of BfA.

Look around... the largest growing market is mobile games.  Most people don't even use a desktop other than for work, that's a big change from back when WoW originally hit the streets.  Times have changed.  People's idea of entertainment has changed.  

You love old school so much, it's still out there... go play it.  No kickstarter on the planet will ever bring a renaissance to the genre... they'll just empty wallet.

Mobil games are one thing.... But tell the Witcher 3, FarCry, Fallout 4, Dark Souls and all off takes from it their in a failed desktop loop and see what they have to say about that !  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    jimmywolf said:

You do realize such a game is currently being developed yes?

It's called Star Citizen, but it's taking far longer with more staff (over 450 at last I heard) but your cost estimate might be close,  it could come in near $500B when all is said and done.

"But I don't like space games" you might say....(insert any other mechanic you dislike,  FFA PVP, P2W, etc)

Lulz

It really is one of the more revolutionary development efforts only made possible because gamers are willing to stake Chris Robert's with over $300M in free money, a phenomenon not likely to be repeated very often in the future.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Like some others here have mentioned, I'd like to see them go in another direction than WoW..... No one has nailed the space MMO yet, so maybe Starcraft is the way to go there.
    delete5230hallucigenocide
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Triple AAA mmorpgs were a weird idea anyway. It is a very very niche genre inside of a niche hobby. The more you narrow down inside a niche to sub niche the more the financial risk and therefore less money willing to be invested. 
    It is basic economics. 
    Indie is were the genre was born and should stay. 
    Honestly, the thing that is weird to me is that the demographic they try to appease is small. Sure there was a wide range but it is more along the time played than style of play.  
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Themepark to me is not a full MMORPG.  If they made WoW 2 I would like to see more simulation in the background with player housing and everything.  Sandpark please lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    It called world of warcraft classic and in beta .

Honestly i can't see they even able to make WOW2 with the current lore of warcraft .

It would be better if they making a 3 ways 300 players battle royale starcraft game about building base and destroy enemies players .
    iixviiiix said:
    It called world of warcraft classic and in beta .

Honestly i can't see they even able to make WOW2 with the current lore of warcraft .

It would be better if they making a 3 ways 300 players battle royale starcraft game about building base and destroy enemies players .
    Every time I think about Starcraft then really think about it, I come to the same conclusion. It would have to be an obnoxious and hostile world that would be impossible to make it pleasing to the eye. 

Lazar blasters and android robots get old fast too.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No thanks,i am waiting for a real mmorpg,not a developer to make more ANTI mmo's and anti rpg's.
    I have seen enough by now to know the Blizzard team both past and present...do NOT get it.They might have many ideas that people love,like,dislike,doesn't matter,they do not understand how to make a mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    World Of Starcraft would be sick imo
    PalebaneTheocritus
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited June 2019
    "At this point, it's the only thing that will work successfully."

We are so lucky to have an experienced member of an MMO developer/producer here on our boards who knows how the industry works to a tee. The amount of research OP must have poured into this very topic must be staggering if they were able to come up with the one and only solution. I had no idea that its the only thing that would work with absolutely no other options on the table.

/s
    delete5230
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Cataclysm was WoW 2
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    No thanks, I'll wait for pantheon.  Wow 2 aint ever gonna happen, and even if it does it wont be like classic it will just be an improved version of modern.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Themepark to me is not a full MMORPG.  If they made WoW 2 I would like to see more simulation in the background with player housing and everything.  Sandpark please lol.
    With twitch combat.
    Which when added will alienate me and a significant subset of the MMORPG player base from considering the game.

The twitch gamers are all off playing Fortenite or some other shooter, these just aren't their style of game.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon