Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Classic Realms Will Not be Divided by Language - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2019
    Zamuro said:
    [mod edit]
    Excuse me? How incredibly naive, if I'm being kind, and obtuse, because I'm peckish today.

They are on separate servers because of a different alphabet system, THAT'S IT.

If you really think that Germans, French, Croatians, etc. won't be writing in languages you can't personally understand on the mixed realms, you're fooling yourself. Are people speaking in their own languages "stupid"?

For crying out loud. What a grotesque view of the world. I have no patience for xenophobia.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    KyleranNephethgervaise1dragonlee66[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• shijakushijaku Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2019

Shana77 said:

Guess that means razersharp focus to see where some of the dominant anti-english servers will be established (french, german, spanish and indeed russian communities tend to be all destroying).

I understand some of you suffered at the hands of groups of players who did not speak your language, and it is acceptable to hold a grudge against them.
    Though that does not condone labeling whole countries filled with millions of people for what you suffered at the hands of another teenager playing a game with his buddies(I'm sure you've seen those in your neighborhood). If you have ever heard of the effect of online disinhibition you might realize this happens everywhere, and especially in MMOs.

To some of us the experience of meeting people from other countries was something dear to us and we remember it with a lot less negative bias.

Maybe if we all acted like people who live in a civilized country, and tried to be actually civil(PLEASE look it up!) Maybe then we could approach things with an open mind and find that not just our experiences dominate THE human experience.

But hey, that's just my opinion. You are free to disagree.
    SBFordScotTacticalZombeh
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    European servers will be a mess thanks to this. 

The problem with spamming their own language tends to come from young male adults that hasn't grown up to have any decency. In a FFA-pvp game you can band together and kill them but in a carebear game like WoW you are stuck with them.

We had the misfortune to share battlegroup with crushridge which was the unofficial italian server and they kept spamming in italian. Even our italian guildie hated them. We had a russian that hated the typical russian gamer as much as we did and that's why he never swapped to the official russian servers.

On a private server there is a harsher enforcement of rules because you rely on donations and people won't donate anything if chats are bombarded. Blizzard look at every sub as money and they will take their standard approach of doing nothing.

SBFord
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    edited June 2019
    Just like Vanilla, with all of its gold farmers who didn't speak English. Score one for recreating the authentic experience.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]KyleranScotSandmanjwTacticalZombeh
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Cool, this will end well. The global community is much more tolerant of others 15 years later.

Make Azeroth Great Again ?
    [Deleted User]SBFord

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Noo! As European, I really wish for a server where everyone would agree to speak English with each other.

English isn't my native language. It's something I learned so that I could communicate with others.
    ScotMadFrenchie

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    edited June 2019
    speak english or go russian server! but tis is blizzard secret plan; after 2-3 month classic release they add server chance service. easy money. people get tired non-english server and chance server to majority english server. tis hapened in vanilla WoW too. english server i joined was mainly non-english people. good luck raid with people who use voice chat and dont talk english :D No voice chat, no guild access.
    SBFord
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    One of the reasons why i choose to play on NA servers despite being in the UK and technically falling in the EU 'area' is because common language which is not shared with majority EU areas. There really is no reason to play on servers where you can't adequately communicate with other players in games that are ultimately a 'social' experience :/
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Their target audience isn't large enough to merit a bunch of servers by language.
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Phry said:
    One of the reasons why i choose to play on NA servers despite being in the UK and technically falling in the EU 'area' is because common language which is not shared with majority EU areas. There really is no reason to play on servers where you can't adequately communicate with other players in games that are ultimately a 'social' experience :/
    How is it we manage to live in a real world where not everyone speaks the same language to communicate and get along?

Oh, that's right, thousands of years of open and covert warfare, nevermind.

;)

Reminds me of a Sci Fi book by Joe Haldeman, The Forever War, when the two opposing sides finally managed to find a way to communicate, they asked why the war happened and each told the other, "I thought you started it"

SBFord[Deleted User]kitaradScotNepheth

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    edited June 2019
    The game has shitty pvp mechanics for it to even mean anything, no player made cities, housing, full loot, just overall a friend zone guild pvp mode, and I dominated WoW for years and it was always lacking that one thing to truly become areal "World of Warcraft, right now it's World of Carecraft" Languages will just annoy the shit out of general chats with weird attachments, if the game had full loot and guild war declaration we could make for some fun country wars but it doesn't so don't even think about mention EVE or UO into this
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2019
    shijaku said:

Shana77 said:

Guess that means razersharp focus to see where some of the dominant anti-english servers will be established (french, german, spanish and indeed russian communities tend to be all destroying).

I understand some of you suffered at the hands of groups of players who did not speak your language, and it is acceptable to hold a grudge against them.
    Though that does not condone labeling whole countries filled with millions of people for what you suffered at the hands of another teenager playing a game with his buddies(I'm sure you've seen those in your neighborhood). If you have ever heard of the effect of online disinhibition you might realize this happens everywhere, and especially in MMOs.

To some of us the experience of meeting people from other countries was something dear to us and we remember it with a lot less negative bias.

Maybe if we all acted like people who live in a civilized country, and tried to be actually civil(PLEASE look it up!) Maybe then we could approach things with an open mind and find that not just our experiences dominate THE human experience.

But hey, that's just my opinion. You are free to disagree.
    Welcome to our forums! :)

You seem like me to be a player who has been around a few years? The problems with players from multiple countries on the same server seems to have developed over the past serval years, I just don't think players are as collegiate as they used to be. Gaming is not that important to them and projecting their online self is more important. It is ME on Twitter and ME in game. Back in the day we had more of a sense of being on an adventure, one which stretched across the world. Gaming communities have suffered for these reasons also.

But there are still plenty of us that remember what 'gaming across the world' is meant to be about, stand up for it, otherwise gaming could becoming as fractious and obnoxious as social media.
    Scot said:
    shijaku said:

Shana77 said:

But there are still plenty of us that remember what 'gaming across the world' is meant to be about, stand up for it, otherwise gaming could becoming as fractious and obnoxious as social media.
    Perhaps it's a matter of which game and  nationalities are involved. 

My first MMORPG was Lineage 1s NA servers and it was definitely a case of the West vs the S Koreans and to this day I still recall their most hated (and server best) guild Rolex which everyone would war with. 

For some reason either we mocked them or they mocked us with the phrase 'rang rang' and I no longer recall why or what it meant.

DAOC was next, mostly all NA at first, but I met many Euros and was even a member of a mostly Norwegian guild for a spell.

They would sometimes break into long text chats (no voice back then) in their native language which I usually just shrugged.

Every now and then when I started feeling a bit left out I would begin "translating" their chats, usually with humorous references to their favorite cross dressing outfits or some such which would bring a few laughs and get them back into English again.

(yes, I know, terribly insensitive these days, but hey we didn't even wear seat belts back then)

Happy Friday. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited June 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    shijaku said:

Shana77 said:

My first MMORPG was Lineage 1s NA servers and it was definitely a case of the West vs the S Koreans and to this day I still recall their most hated (and server best) guild Rolex which everyone would war with. 

For some reason either we mocked them or they mocked us with the phrase 'rang rang' and I no longer recall why or what it meant.

DAOC was next, mostly all NA at first, but I met many Euros and was even a member of a mostly Norwegian guild for a spell.

They would sometimes break into long text chats (no voice back then) in their native language which I usually just shrugged.

Every now and then when I started feeling a bit left out I would begin "translating" their chats, usually with humorous references to their favorite cross dressing outfits or some such which would bring a few laughs and get them back into English again.

(yes, I know, terribly insensitive these days, but hey we didn't even wear seat belts back then)

Happy Friday. 

It is down to more factors than I mentioned, I just don't think those are talked about much. I didn't have that experience in the early days, but then I did not play Lineage. DAOC was all about us versus the Middies, but it did not matter who the Middies were. An old joke was that we would complain about all the kids who must be playing middies and someone would remind us they were probably professionals from Sweden. :)

I did not see loads of non-English zone chat in DAOC, but I think you may be referring to guild chat? In the MMO I was last in the amount of garbage on zone chat was extraordinary I seriously considered switching it off full time, not just during Guild activities.
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    shijaku said:

Shana77 said:

Happy Friday. 

It is down to more factors than I mentioned, I just don't think those are talked about much. I didn't have that experience in the early days, but then I did not play Lineage. DAOC was all about us versus the Middies, but it did not matter who the Middies were. An old joke was that we would complain about all the kids who must be playing middies and someone would remind us they were probably professionals from Sweden. :)

I did not see loads of non-English zone chat in DAOC, but I think you may be referring to guild chat? In the MMO I was last in the amount of garbage on zone chat was extraordinary I seriously considered switching it off full time, not just during Guild activities.
    You are correct, rarely did anyone ever post in raid or zone chat in anything other than English in DAOC.

Even in L1 no non English chats as moderation was brutal in that game. 

People got chat timeouts for even mentioning another MMOs name in Global, which you could not even access until level 35. (No quick feat, unlike modern games)

EVE local suffers a bit from foreign language spam, but then in market hub systems which are mostly full of scammer spam the foreign stuff is a bit of an improvement actually.
    ;)
    Scot

• ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 332
    As Blizzard said, there are advantages and disadvantages, so you can't really claim they haven't thought this through. There are already language-oriented communities outside the game; I'm sure they'll be able to iron out which server to claim pretty quickly.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ay, que bueno.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Why oh why are Acti Blizz trying to kill their own new game in the EU? Why?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    How is it we manage to live in a real world where not everyone speaks the same language to communicate and get along?

Oh, that's right, thousands of years of open and covert warfare, nevermind.

;)

Reminds me of a Sci Fi book by Joe Haldeman, The Forever War, when the two opposing sides finally managed to find a way to communicate, they asked why the war happened and each told the other, "I thought you started it"

The only real way to deal with disparate languages on the same server, is to automatically translate all text to the language used by the player, its probably not even that difficult to do, although going by the results google translate comes up with sometimes, it could result in some rather hillarious mistranslations, either way, without a common language there can be no discourse. :p
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    SBFord said:
    If you really think that Germans, French, Croatians, etc. won't be writing in languages you can't personally understand on the mixed realms, you're fooling yourself. Are people speaking in their own languages "stupid"? 
    I remember in early EQ, my server had lots of Americans, Spanish and Germans. I liked meeting people from other countries. And we found ways to communicate. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Tamanous said:

nyxium said:

Lol layering and now "we won't be opening extra language servers because we don't want to, we think this game is a trainwreck already and are reluctant to invest in extra servers" but wrap it up as good news. Oh boy. What next?

Private servers work that way and grew so rapidly that we now have Blizzard making the game so they do not lose control of their own IP.

It sounds like you can't comprehend anything outside of the spoon feeding that has been pushed to you. Multiple language and regional inclusion has been done many times before and simply because your limited experience in life can't comprehend the idea, it doesn't mean the universe will suddenly collapse. The reasons why businesses choose to go one way or the other is often driven by many factors outside of your binary thinking.

Nothing says valid argument like a long string of childish insults. You can do better man
    Kyleran
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I don't know if FFXIV still has the translator in chat but that was a genius feature that all modern mmos should have.

I've personally never had issues with people speaking many languages in chat. Trade spam in town is far worse than seeing conversations i don't understand which are clearly not directed at me.
    Kyleran

edited June 2019
    I don't know if FFXIV still has the translator in chat but that was a genius feature that all modern mmos should have.

I've personally never had issues with people speaking many languages in chat. Trade spam in town is far worse than seeing conversations i don't understand which are clearly not directed at me.
    They had a proper translator not 'short phrase in various languages' buttons? Like "Looking for Group" in whatever languages were supported?
    edited June 2019
    Albatroes said:
    Scot said:
    How many serves are they going to have? If there is one way to dilute a player base and drive it into the ground it is too many servers.
    Layering essentially was 'created' to 'combat' that according to the devs.
    Do you think that will work? We have to see it in play but the first thought that comes to my mind is how do you keep guilds and groups together? I presume you can join a group in a different layer, lets hope so.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Phry said:
    The only real way to deal with disparate languages on the same server, is to automatically translate all text to the language used by the player, its probably not even that difficult to do, although going by the results google translate comes up with sometimes, it could result in some rather hillarious mistranslations, either way, without a common language there can be no discourse. :p
    Considering the spelling and grammar skills of the average WoW player, I think any automated translation function would be hard-pressed to decipher what they are trying to say.