Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project: Survival

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Well at least you focused on the campfire design... that was one of my main concerns.

Don't forget the water....can't have a great MMO without good looking water effects....

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Welp, that answers my question, I guess. 

That was fun guys, I'll see you all again in the next project announcement in 2-5 months.

Bye!
    newbismxSlapshot1188
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Of all of the things that someone may choose to do with his free time, creating computer games is surely not the worst.  Not even if the games never get finished.

When David Morgan-Mar, the creator of Irregular Webcomic (which was pretty good, by the way) ended the comic, he commented that when he showed it to other people he knew, they'd sometimes say something to the effect of, "I could do that."  To which he'd respond:  "Yeah, but you didn't."

His point wasn't to be insulting.  Rather, it was to say, "Maybe you should."  Don't just sit and snipe about other people not being good enough.  Go try to do something creative yourself.  Maybe it will be good or maybe not, but go try something.

JamesP is.  Maybe his latest game project will never amount to anything.  Maybe he'll make it available in some half-baked state where it's awful.  So?  Is that really worse than not trying in the first place?

Some years ago, I worked on my own solo, amateur game.  I posted about it here sometimes.  That project is long dead by now.  But the experience was still valuable.  I'm considerably better at the real-life job I have today than I would be if not for that experience.

Yes, yes, I'm aware of the fiasco that was Greed Monger.  And I'll bet that JamesP will never sign up for another project run by Jason Appleton ever again.  But so long as he isn't trying to con you out of your money, why all the naysaying about his latest attempt?
    CryomatrixsunandshadowBeezerbeezPutrefee
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Many people (such as me) need feedback to keep creating, because if no one else is interested in your idea it doesn't seem worth putting actual hard work into.  And in this situation negative or heavily mixed feedback might be better than no feedback.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    edited June 2019
    @Quizzical Oh, who was I kidding… here we go again.

As I said, this kind of stuff is pretty nice and heartwarming to read, alas, people aren’t really giving him shit for being part of the Greed Monger fiasco, nor for not being good enough, nor for trying, people are giving him shit because we go over this every couple of months, for about a decade now, that’s why people are “naysaying”, because they all seen how his last +30 projects ended, and let’s be realistic here… we are not talking about a simple video games neither, most of these projects are MMORPGs, the most expensive game genre to develop and maintain, supposedly to be made by one single developer who never made a video game before with a computer that struggles to record a YouTube video.

Proctor is the literal definition of insanity, and by the way… you can pull out your wallet and start paying, because:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/page-33#post-4437929

Proctor already been there and done that when he re-announced Greed Monger by the 3th or 4th time after the “greed monger fiasco”.
    Beezerbeeznewbismx
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Whatever happened to Mr. Lumpy?
    newbismx

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Whatever happened to Mr. Lumpy?
    I had almost forgotten about that guy, I don't think anyone really knows, but legend says that to this day he is still learning how to sit straight.
    Anyone have a link to that stream? That was epic.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Anyone have a link to that stream? That was epic.
    Unless someone has a copy, it's gone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMx1GJPAJA
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Just bumping this. We need to keep this bumped.

JamesP has a habit of making these grandiose threads and then disappearing for months only to pop back in with a new grandiose thread and new mmorpg hes creating.

It was important for him to update us on simple things like Campfire UI and then he went silent. Its because hes already given up again and is probably planning his next mmorpg hes going to announce.

We need to know how that testing phase is coming- Its well into mid June James. How is the game coming along? When are you going to announce your next game? 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    newbismx said:

JamesP has a habit of making these grandiose threads and then disappearing for months only to pop back in with a new grandiose thread and new mmorpg hes creating.

It was important for him to update us on simple things like Campfire UI and then he went silent. Its because hes already given up again and is probably planning his next mmorpg hes going to announce.

We need to know how that testing phase is coming- Its well into mid June James. How is the game coming along? When are you going to announce your next game? 
    So?  If you'd prefer to spend you time pining for some Kickstarter game that took millions of dollars years ago and still hasn't launched, it's easy enough to ignore his threads.  It's not like he makes a new one every few days to spam the forums.

I say that given a choice of hobby between:

a)  tinkering with parts of creating your own amateur game periodically and posting about it without trying to take other people's money, or
    b)  never trying anything creative yourself, but sitting back and whining about people who do so on an amateur basis,

that choice (a) is better than choice (b).  Even if you never finish a game, or even come particularly close to it.
    edited June 2019
    Quizzical said:
    newbismx said:

So?  If you'd prefer to spend you time pining for some Kickstarter game that took millions of dollars years ago and still hasn't launched, it's easy enough to ignore his threads.  It's not like he makes a new one every few days to spam the forums.

I say that given a choice of hobby between:

a)  tinkering with parts of creating your own amateur game periodically and posting about it without trying to take other people's money, or
    b)  never trying anything creative yourself, but sitting back and whining about people who do so on an amateur basis,

that choice (a) is better than choice (b).  Even if you never finish a game, or even come particularly close to it.
    Not sure what your point is.

As a general rule I wont go around making grandiose claims in public places and if I had done that even a couple times I would be too embarrassed to continue to do such things.

Nothing wrong with wanting to make an mmorpg. Nothing wrong with trying. I want to be an astronaut but I realize the first step is probably to get my pilots licence and not post all over about my upcoming trip to Mars. 

This cycle with jamesP has happened 30+ times now and he always disappears, stops posting in his own threads and comes back a few months later announcing a new game or a reboot of a game hes already abandoned multiple times.

I'm of the opinion that you should do what you say youre going to- JamesP says hes going to do everything from create promised T-Shirts to finishing games to paying back bakers. he never does. He just comes around every few months role playing as a game developer, looking for pats on his back and then he leaves.

If you dont like th heat hes taking over this - I'm not sure what to tell you .

I'm going to keep this once bumped at least every week- JamesP was confident enough in his work and ability as a dev to make this public, post a bunch of bullshots and claim a public test is coming. He was confident enough to make all this public- Just like hes always confident enough to post, show screenshots and make claims before he disappears. The returns with a new batch of screenshots and claims.

Thats not going to happen this time. I spent days reading links that were posted here and this guy is a total scumbag.

OH and I'll add something- When JamesP thought Jason Appleton was paying back the backers he instantly tried to reboot  Greed monger and posted that "now that we are paying people back...blah..blah" when he had zero to do with paying anyone back - And it wasnt really happening anyhow. He tried to take credit for something he promised to do, never did and someone else stepped in to try and do.

Thats the type of person youre defending- Go read that codex thread. It says a whole lot about the type of person jamesP is.
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Well considering you think I am a total scumbag you aren't the person I am going after and I have NOTHING to prove to you or anyone. But on that note no I haven't giving up on this game far from it. I have just decided to take what I have been working on and pivot with it a little. Use it to create content for my youtube channel. And yes tests will be coming up here very soon...

Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

Schedule for the Week of June 17th:
    Monday - Intro to the Mirror based MMO Framework
    Tuesday - Revamped Beginners C#
    Wednesday - Unity basics
    Thursday - Game Design 101
    Friday - Using uMMORPG to quickly Prototype your design

** The Series on Friday on how to quickly prototype your design using uMMO will greatly take advantage of all of Fhiz's VIP Level 2 and lower addons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

JamesP said:
    Well considering you think I am a total scumbag you aren't the person I am going after and I have NOTHING to prove to you or anyone. But on that note no I haven't giving up on this game far from it. I have just decided to take what I have been working on and pivot with it a little. Use it to create content for my youtube channel. And yes tests will be coming up here very soon...

Starting tomorrow I have made a personal commitment to start posting to my youtube channel again... For the next 6 months (At which point I will evaluate and plan from there) I will be posting 1 video per day Monday through Friday. Here is the schedule for the upcoming week:

Schedule for the Week of June 17th:
    Monday - Intro to the Mirror based MMO Framework
    Tuesday - Revamped Beginners C#
    Wednesday - Unity basics
    Thursday - Game Design 101
    Friday - Using uMMORPG to quickly Prototype your design

** The Series on Friday on how to quickly prototype your design using uMMO will greatly take advantage of all of Fhiz's VIP Level 2 and lower addons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAvq2fIVpQYPrZChxZhPaRw
    kek . In other words you've already given up and moved on to making youtube videos for a month before reviving greed monger again but this time with zombies? Of course itll support 10 billion concurrent users. 

keep us posted JamesP . Please. A common occurrence ive noticed while looking through your millions of game announcements is that you post like a madman for a minute and then just stop and let the thread die only to pop back up with a new game announcement. 

Give us closure this time. You never seem to finish anything but at least finish a thread for once.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    James reminds me of a few people I know....Great at coming up with ideas and starting projects, poor at finishing them....He needs to find someone who can finish what he starts.
    lol You really are funny... You really just need to give up. There is going to be no closure because I am NOT going anywhere. 

This whole game started out as a result of creating my own MMO Framework using the Mirror networking API FOR my youtube channel. I am just doing exactly as planned with the code I created. The game will continue to be developed as I create content for the youtube channel.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Channel Update Video:

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

"We are now a quarter of the way to a thousand subscribers"...

Bring back Mr. Lumpy Man!

newbismx

Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks... I am doing this on my own.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLuf8lPyqh8

Is this continuing the series because it appears you already started this 8 months ago but stopped after a few weeks.

Kyleran

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Grimula said:
    is it that much harder to make Circles instead of squares ????

Square tree's  Square Heads ,  What else is Square ??

Curiosity killed the Cat maybe ,  but i would rather see circular things then Squares with Sharp angles
    Well what do you think Minecraft is and games like Trove have been endorsed and recently in the last week another Minecraft looking game was headlined on this site.
    it all comes down to the game engine and believe it or not many...most models you see are actually full of squares/triangles.

However the game is way too dated looking ,at least to me but go figure i see so many people buying into dated games,there is usually one a week advertised on this site every week or more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

My Introduction to the Custom MMO Framework Series:

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2019
    You know most of us have had the same kind od dreams bu thye fizzle out. It's tough. It's really tough. What they don't tell you about the successful games is just how hard as nails the game makers are. They're made of nails. Most people don't know that. They're smart, very talented. Therer'e tens of thousands of failed projects for every successful one.

But I can say this. If you don't stop. If you don't lose interest. If you survive the criticism and failed attempts. If you're hard as nails, you might make it. Maybe, but probably not. Because you have to be smart too, and talented. One for every hundred that make it that far. The odds are stacked against you. Good luck kid. You will need it.

It's ok to fail. Surrender is the better part of valor. See a truck driver lately? Tried to make a game. See the construction worker there on the side of the road holding up that sign? Was good with C. And that deli worker. Doesn't look like a coder, but made several platformer games in college. They didn't fail. They used discretion.

JamesP said:
    my own MMO Framework using the Mirror networking API FOR my youtube channel. I am just doing exactly as planned with the code I created.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Here's a thought. Regardless what type of game project you are making at the moment,  call them all the same name, sort of a code word like many studios do.

Perhaps Grandstand or similar might work?

Good luck to you James......

But do consider a new handle...

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon