Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our Conqueror's Blade Review - Attempting to Set a New Standard - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,358
    Kyleran said:
    THis is premature, not all weapons are in the game, and still a lot of things to do. Open Beta being reviewed should never happen and would implore mmorpg to scrap the "review" and change it to a preview.
    Total nonsense. They no longer wipe progression and accept money for starter packs and subscriptions, this game is "launched" and deserves to face the harsh light of a full review.

Beta is just a weasel word for "buy our broken, half finished game."
    This is a 13 -14 day open beta. Every beta I've tested the game was a server wipe.  I agree with your asessment but thaat is only becaus eof the garbage that used the term  in the past 5 years. 

I would imagine this game will have a wipe with a prelaunch early access event for those who did pay. As this is not an "early access" event , but a open beta. I think the last game that did it this way was Vanguard, which did have open beta and server wipe for early access preorders. 

It is weird when something bucks the trend and does things the old fashion way.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    #BoycottChina
    Kyleran said:

druez said:

THis person never "played" the the game he just "looked" at ...

Clunky, simplistic player combat - false

Empty open world - false

Lackluster visuals - false

Overwhelming progression systems - false

Nah I have also played the game, the combat is pretty clunky... and the visuals are pretty bad. 

Maybe in open beta it should be a preview, but to pretend it's going to get much better between now and release is just fooling yourself. 

The game, even with you additional weapons, might be a solid 6 at best. 

Visuals are bad? Are you kidding me? Maybe your computer isn't up to par. I run this in 4k, you have hundreds of units, heroes and siege equipment blowing stuff up. It looks great. The weather looks great.

Their is so much strategy in this game on how you control your troops. The combat is far from bland. Even 1 on 1 fighting and deathmatch, there are a ton of options.

There are 4 major skills to trigger, combos and you have dodging and blocking.

I can tell by the screen shots, that he didn't put much time into the game by the look of the troops and the armor. The game doesn't start to shine, till later on when all the mechanics are unearthed and work together.

Sorry, MMORPG this may be one of your worst reviews to date.

The game isn't nearly as good as you're depicting. I stand by that the review is spot on. 

Yes, the troops are an interesting gimmick, and the combat attempts to be similar to mount and blade with additional skills, but it's clunky and poorly done.  

More units doesn't automatically make the models and visuals good, it just gives you more of them to look at.  The world really does look bland. 

Poor textures, basic armor, there's nothing particularly special about the visuals. 

After playing for several hours, it wasn't worth my time to stick it out and continue. It's great for people that want to put in the time to "get to the good parts" but how much boredom do you have to endure before that boredom becomes fun?  

maybe because you are reviewing it on a freaking laptop... LOL is the circus intown cause I want a balloon.

I enjoy the spin, I really do, I know that some people will never get over that what they like and what they think isn't etched in fact.  You say "what classes did you try, what weapons, weapons like X are clunky but..." 

Look, if you have to play a specific class with a specific weapon to get the game to be "good" you've already lost. If you think the game looks so great, post your own screenshots. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you will like the game no matter what I say, and that's great. You should play and enjoy games YOU like, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is factually accurate.

In fact you've already outlined several caveats to your point just in your response. The game is clunky when...  the game looks bland if you play on a laptop... 

Don't sit here and tell me that the game is a treasure when you, yourself, admit its failings.  

You like the game. That is all. It's okay to like a game. 

thanks for the clarity, it was a troll review.

Just for accuracy, Steam reviews are 6/10,  Steam db 43% so I'd say this review agrees with many and falls well within the median.

;)
    Could you imagine if Shadowbane got similar reviews  but was one of the best pvp games ever made.. o  wait. #derp
    #BoycottChina
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    edited June 14
    Kyleran said:
    THis is premature, not all weapons are in the game, and still a lot of things to do. Open Beta being reviewed should never happen and would implore mmorpg to scrap the "review" and change it to a preview.
    Total nonsense. They no longer wipe progression and accept money for starter packs and subscriptions, this game is "launched" and deserves to face the harsh light of a full review.

This is a 13 -14 day open beta. Every beta I've tested the game was a server wipe.  I agree with your asessment but thaat is only becaus eof the garbage that used the term  in the past 5 years. 

I would imagine this game will have a wipe with a prelaunch early access event for those who did pay. As this is not an "early access" event , but a open beta. I think the last game that did it this way was Vanguard, which did have open beta and server wipe for early access preorders. 

This is a f2p game and every "f2p" games open beta was essentially release did something change somewhere along the lines?

Anyhow I dont really like the hero combat mechanics. Maybe Mordhau devs and CB should collaberate 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,232
    Kyleran said:

Whoa whoa whoa, why you gotta bring weasels into it? 
    Asheramblueturtle13OG_ZorvanPhry

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Limnic said:
    lol. posts a picture, but picks one of a score screen instead of showing the in-game graphics that were the entire reason for criticizing and posting a screen in the first place.
    what do grpahics have tdo with winning ? 

If I wanted top notch graphics, I'd log into Black Desert.
    Right my mistake, that entire train of dialogue of you trying to defend the game's graphics while ranting at Weasel doesn't exist.

Also, can't tell if this comment of yours is just forgetful, or admission it's graphics aren't great.
    edited June 14
    Limnic said:
    Limnic said:
    lol. posts a picture, but picks one of a score screen instead of showing the in-game graphics that were the entire reason for criticizing and posting a screen in the first place.

Right my mistake, that entire train of dialogue of you trying to defend the game's graphics while ranting at Weasel doesn't exist.

Also, can't tell if this comment of yours is just forgetful, or admission it's graphics aren't great.
    I played shadowbane because of the content, not the graphics
    I am playing CB because of the same thing. I find the appeal of a pure pvp seiging rts mmo. It is a lot of fun. 

What I have a problem with is a review on an open beta. It's ridiculously naive to think some more contant  like weapons won't be rollingout. 

The slash screen has a chain mace on it, not in the game yet, will be who knowas, because it's a beta.

I didn't know it was a sin to disagree with the reviewer, holy shit everyone, watch for  the sjrw  . 
    #BoycottChina
    Asheram said:
    Kyleran said:

This is a f2p game and every "f2p" games open beta was essentially release did something change somewhere along the lines?

Anyhow I dont really like the hero combat mechanics. Maybe Mordhau devs and CB should collaberate 
    Yet you and others are faulting CB for using the terms traditionally instead of the weasel way. IMHO, that on you guys, not them.
    #BoycottChina
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,663
    Kyleran said:

I agree but I think that should apply to the indie mmo projects weaseling and dancing around that so cleverly with NDAs while still sucking in revenue.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
    edited June 14
    Asheram said:
    Kyleran said:

Yet you and others are faulting CB for using the terms traditionally instead of the weasel way. IMHO, that on you guys, not them.
    I never faulted it about using any terms, I merely stated I dont care for the combat mechanics and said nothing about weasels

• WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Kyleran said:

Nah, that was the last wipe.  While they call it an open beta, the more appropriate term for it is soft launch.  It's why the founder's packs have been swapped out for the collector's edition packs on their websites.
    WBadger said:
    Kyleran said:

Nah, that was the last wipe.  While they call it an open beta, the more appropriate term for it is soft launch.  It's why the founder's packs have been swapped out for the collector's edition packs on their websites.
    can you please link to the information you got about the beta ? 
    #BoycottChina
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 534
    Kyleran said:

Just for accuracy, Steam reviews are 6/10,  Steam db 43% so I'd say this review agrees with many and falls well within the median.

;)
    Not sure that's as great a point as it might appear.  I see Steam games rated well below their average review pretty often.  I've also found that a lot of games I've really liked where pushed way down by band-wagon haters.  There are a fair number of low Steam-rated games in my library that have a lot of time on them.

I think it's a good quick measure of whether you should look deeper into a game or not, but you have to also take it with a grain of salt.  In fact, games that try new mechanics like this are often the ones that get more criticism, so this is probably an example of a game that's rated lower than it should be.

Again, if you like it or not is all that matters.   These scores, no matter where they come from, are totally subjective.   If you're like me and enjoy some of the more atypical games, you'll find that what you like often goes against the crowd.
    Asheram
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 100
    If you read the negative steam reviews, they are more about "pay to win", or items only being available on one character. Or the other biggy server lag. Not the issues that were mentioned in this review.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Limnic said:
    Limnic said:

I played-
    Way to avoid the topic dude. You didn't address the thing you quoted once with that tangent.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Every new game with new ideas pushes the genre forward. So even if this game did not turn out great, it's ideas and systems might just inspire the *next* great game.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 282
    WBadger said:
    Kyleran said:

can you please link to the information you got about the beta ? 
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/905370/discussions/0/1642038749333010540/

Valentine and Aelynthi are both moderators recognized by the staff/employees of My.com on their official discord.  It was also in the FAQ but because the FAQ was embedded into the founder's pack page instead of being its own separate entity, it was taken down along with the packs.
    Phry
    edited June 14
    paulytheb said:
    Every new game with new ideas pushes the genre forward. So even if this game did not turn out great, it's ideas and systems might just inspire the *next* great game.
    I would say the ideas are not new here-

Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders did it first in 2004, though the multiplayer part was only 1v1 match battle and was on xbox, but was pretty fun.

Mount & Blade/Warband 2008/2010 but no open world co-op/mp.

Kingdom Under Fire 2 which started development in 2008 and has yet to come west (probably never will).

Tiger Knight Empire Wars which had so much potential, whose combat I actually really liked as it was Warband like with its own style. Sadly its dead now and they never really developed the seige open world end.

CB just added co-op/mp with M&B style open world map and mmo-lite features which they have done a really nice job at.
    Limnic
  • Martimus1Martimus1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Sorry but i like game like this but with a shitty combat that laggs and attacks wich still hit over 1m distance away from the weapon i just cant stand this bullshit the review is correct and also fuck this stupid launcher! if you dont start the fucking game you can enjoy this bullshit launcher poping up from the background and that even though you ended every fucking task! sorry for the language but this game is bullshit and annoys me the most because i love games like Tiger Knight, Mount and Blade and Dynasty warroir except that one that doesnt exist with also an open world!
    antieci
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,301
    ok, so i've been playing a bit now and have some thoughts in relationship to the cons mentioned in the review.

Clunky/simplistic - It is a bit clunky, but so is the game in general at this point. As far as simplistic, I don't know if I would consider it a con. I kinda enjoy it and don't need that complicated type of combat as seen many games.

Lackluster visuals - not the best in the world, but fine for me. I don't have to have video card busting graphics to have a good time.

Empty World - This one, I would disagree with. It's not bursting to the seams, but the towns I'm in a full of people and when I go out into the world, I see people all of the time. When I think of empty world, I picture something like darkfall where you can wander forever and not see a soul.

Overwhelming progression system - matter of opinion obviously. For me, it was a bit daunting at the beginning, but I find I enjoy fiddling with different builds and such.

Overall, I would rate it at about 7 right now. I'm hoping to raise it a bit as time goes by. Not a great leap from the review, but I'm really enjoying it, and 7 seems fine to me.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• Tenebrion2Tenebrion2 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 21
    Oh, look at that. Another game review by someone who spent 15 minutes in a game.

"Overwhelming progression"?
    "Simplistic combat"?
    "Empty open world"?
    Give me a break. These statements are objectively false. Are we even playing the same game?
    antieci
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Oh, look at that. Another game review by someone who spent 15 minutes in a game.

"Overwhelming progression"?
    "Simplistic combat"?
    "Empty open world"?
    Give me a break. These statements are objectively false. Are we even playing the same game?
    These are the kinds of arguments people make when they can't refute directly, it just becomes a slur match, if you can't make a reasoned response without calling people liars then nobody will take you seriously, but hey, welcome to the forum. :p
    GdemamiSojuantieci
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    iv been playing this and is ok but nothing special has some nice idear,s but also has allot of bad game play. people using max lvl skills will one shot you for one, not 100 percent on this because it could be hacks have seen a few being used but not often. biggest killer is all the early testers got to keep there stuff so have fun fighting max lvl and tier troops with trash. have had an ok time but am only still playing due to gaming friends playing it. has potential but there have been better games of the same type even look in the last few years who have all failed due to lack of scope so this may survive as the scope is quite big.one on one combat needs allot of work for this to get popular.
  • SojuSoju Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited July 25
    This is another great example of why reviews are typically worthless. Who on Earth thinks exactly like this guy? Probably nobody, or if he's lucky, a handful of people? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, however this review system really needs a little work.... Kind of a abysmal omen of this new crew coming aboard on mmorpg.com. 

Gaming fauxnalist in general are trending from bad to horrid. It's just a shame to see it from a website that has such a great history. 
    Post edited by Soju on
  • SojuSoju Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Steam reviews of 73 percent positive from users in the past 30 days. It's listed as mostly positive. If you are going to fluff, try not using the word accuracy.

;)

• antieciantieci Member UncommonPosts: 4
    underrated, deserves a way better score. you didnt play the game if you say combat is clunky or didnt get paste the tutorial. (you unlock more skills later on)