Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  
    Except you aren't killing just like playing Dodgeball isn't assault.

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.   
    Well.. if you played Dodge Ball in my high school, yo would know it involved assault, we would cheer each other on with how hard we could hit each other, and a head shot that spun the other person around before they fell over, got everyone cheering...

How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    My childhood gym class cruelty moment was in second grade someone fast pitched the kickball to the little person who was barely bigger than the ball.  
    Wait you see, dodge ball wasn’t cruelty. It was a just a game. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2019
    I think all sports need to be removed from school. There are many people who can't play soccer or basketball or football or any number of sports. This makes the "haves" and "have nots", and creates bullying and popularity contests.

Someone forced to run can cause many issues, especially health wise. Like if have to run a mile or a marathon many people have asthma or any number of things that can make that a problem. Then they have to sit on the side and be bullied (laughed at) by the other kids.

I think all athletic sports need to be removed from schools, and remove anything that creates popularity (again haves/have nots). This would help stop a lot of the bullying and make people be friends with more people. Its not a 100% solution but goes a lot of the way there.
    I think it might be less challenging to try to eliminate world hunger vs changing the many ways people behave badly towards others who are not members of their clique or social group.

Seems to be some sort of throwback survival behavior wired into us from thousands of years competing for scarce resources which of course still continues to this day.

If one is not like us they must be mocked and driven out into the wilderness, or so it seems.

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:
    How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    That's easy! Your generation (and mine) developed the skills needed to live and survive, not to wither in a world full of "safe places" as these later generations are now taught.
    KyleranbcbullyScorchienUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2019
    I think all sports need to be removed from school. There are many people who can't play soccer or basketball or football or any number of sports. This makes the "haves" and "have nots", and creates bullying and popularity contests.

Someone forced to run can cause many issues, especially health wise. Like if have to run a mile or a marathon many people have asthma or any number of things that can make that a problem. Then they have to sit on the side and be bullied (laughed at) by the other kids.

I think all athletic sports need to be removed from schools, and remove anything that creates popularity (again haves/have nots). This would help stop a lot of the bullying and make people be friends with more people. Its not a 100% solution but goes a lot of the way there.
    Agreed as someone who always dreamed of being a Rockstar in highschool I was envious of the kids in Band class who could really jam. The fucking PRIVILEGE on those cunts born with natural music ability having a outlet to develop and hone their skills and someday make a career out of something they love !

Fuck your athletic scholarship, No education for you! 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    That's easy! Your generation (and mine) developed the skills needed to live and survive, not to wither in a world full of "safe places" as these later generations are now taught.
    From the age of 6 to 9, we lived in a cool neighborhood with so many great traditions. One of them was called Stone Wars which was a daily activity and we only aimed for heads. I had so many bumps that my father used to use my head to stonewash his jeans. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.  MMORPG involve virtual killing of virtual characters and lots of jt. Do you deny they even kill in games now lol.  Not sure what your point is. 

If you accept there is killing then you have to accept there can be different types of killing... murder or self defense.  

I can tell you never read quest that involve killing.

Did you manage to message Bethesda and Zenimax for the use of the word murder in ESO?  I work a few miles from them.  I could hold a sign out in front for a few minutes if you make it.

Scales of Pitiless Justice – Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.  Oh no murder and assault of NPCs no less.  
    Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive to be playing these games.

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.  MMORPG involve virtual killing of virtual characters and lots of jt. Do you deny they even kill in games now lol.  Not sure what your point is. 

If you accept there is killing then you have to accept there can be different types of killing... murder or self defense.  

I can tell you never read quest that involve killing.

Did you manage to message Bethesda and Zenimax for the use of the word murder in ESO?  I work a few miles from them.  I could hold a sign out in front for a few minutes if you make it.

Scales of Pitiless Justice – Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.  Oh no murder and assault of NPCs no less.  
    Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive to be playing these games.

Lol says the guy who thinks the word murder when describing a virtual murder is loaded. 

Honestly, I probably don't have enough emotion when it comes to these games.  
    Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Sovrath said:

yes you are not killing, but you say kill 10 rats, I killed that boss, and I need to kill 100 mobs till the next lvl

again I ask how the hell you guys function on real world if a word is too hard?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Sovrath said:

yes you are not killing, but you say kill 10 rats, I killed that boss, and I need to kill 100 mobs till the next lvl

We function because we know it's a game, we know we aren't really "killing anything" and we are smart enough to pick up on someone's "ulterior motive" when they used the word "murder" which is rarely used in a game sense when dealing with other players.
    ConstantineMerusalkarionlogbcbullyGdemamiAlBQuirky

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

We function because we know it's a game, we know we aren't really "killing anything" and we are smart enough to pick up on someone's "ulterior motive" when they used the word "murder" which is rarely used in a game sense when dealing with other players.
    rarely? since when? I need to recall the part I said the status of red named was murderers in old games? let the wording go, you give too much value to words, actions are what should be judged
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

rarely? since when? I need to recall the part I said the status of red named was murderers in old games? let the wording go, you give too much value to words, actions are what should be judged
    Must have been different games than I played.  Lineage1,  Lineage 2, Shadowbane, DAOC, EVE, WOW, always called them PKs, Reds, Gankers, but never murderers.

ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]HatefullIselinAlBQuirkyPhaserlight

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    LOTRO "Kill Deeds," not only do you need to kill 80 of a certain mob, you then need to kill another 160 to finish the Deed. Mass murder to increase my VIRTUES, for the greater good!  :o

And I won't even mention the thousands of "Free People" I've sent back to the rez circle after filling their bodies with my Black Arrow shafts....

Good clean fun!

Gut Out!
    ConstantineMerusSovrath

What, me worry?

Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Must have been different games than I played.  Lineage1,  Lineage 2, Shadowbane, DAOC, EVE, WOW, always called them PKs, Reds, Gankers, but never murderers.

In UO they were called murder counts. 

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/the-murder-system/
    KyleranJeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

In UO they were called murder counts. 

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/the-murder-system/

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Actions? It's a game. It's ok for other players to "kill" other players. If it's part of the game then it's part of the fun.

The only things is whether or not there is a sense of meaning, a reason. If I'm taking you out because we have a clan war then that's part of the fun. If I'm taking you out because you won't move out of a leveling spot then that's part of the fun. And vice versa. Now, in truth, I tend not to take people out if they are leveling in an area but I do love clan wars.

People should not play games that have this type of pvp if they have issues with it. Not sure how many times this needs to be said. It's as if they just make excuses and expect other people to leave them alone "because."

ConstantineMerusScorchien

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Actions? It's a game. It's ok for other players to "kill" other players. If it's part of the game then it's part of the fun.

The only things is whether or not there is a sense of meaning, a reason. If I'm taking you out because we have a clan war then that's part of the fun. If I'm taking you out because you won't move out of a leveling spot then that's part of the fun. And vice versa. Now, in truth, I tend not to take people out if they are leveling in an area but I do love clan wars.

People should not play games that have this type of pvp if they have issues with it. Not sure how many times this needs to be said. It's as if they just make excuses and expect other people to leave them alone "because."

This is one reason society is so jacked up.  Meaning means nothing.  Feelings are everything. When you can be swayed by feelings more than meaning it is a lost cause.  At what point do you accept and understand the subject at hand have a debate about the subject vs. talking about how you feel about a word. 

It has been a word used since 1997 as far as I can remember. Do you want to build a time machine and go back and tell them it triggers you?

Or are you just going on because you have nothing better to do?  Eh.
    Gdemami
    Vermillion_Raventhal

edited June 2019

This is one reason society is so jacked up.  Meaning means nothing.  Feelings are everything. When you can be swayed by feelings more than meaning it is a lost cause.  At what point do you accept and understand the subject at hand have a debate about the subject vs. talking about how you feel about a word. 

It has been a word used since 1997 as far as I can remember. Do you want to build a time machine and go back and tell them it triggers you?

lol doens't "trigger" me at all. I'm not upset, perturbed or bothered.

But I suppose besides being a composer I'm a writer and I make note of language and how it's used. I think it's overkill (no pun intended but amused nevertheless ). Great for you sharing the blog but you will note that most games don't used the word as it's just not quite right.

But if it makes you feel any better, If I find you in game and kill your character I will use the word murder. You can do the same to me.  B)
    Post edited by Sovrath on

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

But I suppose besides being a composer I'm a writer and I make note of language and how it's used. I think it's overkill (no pun intended but amused nevertheless ). Great for you sharing the blog but you will note that most games don't used the word as it's just not quite right.

But if it makes you feel any better, If I find you in game and kill your character I will use the word murder. You can do the same to me.  B)
    If I had said have players killed another player you would have had a post littered with people posting about RvR.  Not sure what other word I was to use.  It is what I was brought into the genre basically on until PK became popular.  
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

If I had said have players killed another player you would have had a post littered with people posting about RvR.  Not sure what other word I was to use.  It is what I was brought into the genre basically on until PK became popular.  
    I bet pk became popular because, from a marketing perspective, "murder" seemed a bit much.

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I bet pk became popular because, from a marketing perspective, "murder" seemed a bit much.
    Pk wasn't marketed at all.  Player killer was a negative marketing device. Hence EQ was PvP free outside of the odd book thing that made you unable to interact properly with other. PvP servers were made later I believe.  
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Vermillion_Raventhal said:

Hence EQ was PvP free outside of the odd book thing that made you unable to interact properly with other. PvP servers were made later I believe.  
    The Priest of Discord and his book were the most F'd up thing in the game. First, they put him in the newbie area, so when you meet him you don't know what the Hell you are doing. Second, you don't realize you are setting yourself up to be an ungrouped pariah in a game oriented to grouping. Third, the people who enjoy PvP are on PvP servers, so if you do this on a PvE server you will be alone most of the time. And finally, it is permanent with no way I ever knew to undo it. So you just permagimped yourself and will need to reroll. 

But that's EQ. You could make mistakes and pay heavy consequences. Keeps you on your toes.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    We're all just a bunch of filthy animals when the electricity goes out anyway... What wouldn't we do to feed our family?

Happy thoughts brought to you by...

Gut Out!
    AmatheAlBQuirky

What, me worry?