Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

You're right, not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of a gang, but if you play an Open World PvP game, you will inevitably end up being both, as you simply cannot thrive otherwise. This is something I have learned over years of playing these games.
    etc

That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

You can pull that "Oh people fart glitter and rainbows in these games" to someone who has not played them.. But like I said.. I played these games for years.. I know how they really work.

Edit: But I digress.. we have talked about this beyond it's value.
    I just think you are taking your experiences and making them out to be more than they actually are.

No, not everyone becomes an asshole. I played Lineage 2 for over 6 years and I ran into more "good people" than assholes. Additionally, you don't have to "become an asshole." fighting back doesn't equate "becoming an asshole,."

So yes you played these games for years (for some f'ing reason?!?!?!??) and you took your experiences, blew them out of proportion and made it so that the entire thing is a cesspool.

What usually happens is that there is a small group of vocal "assholes" and they make it seem like everyone is. But that just isn't the case.

why should a company make a game like this? Probably because they believe in this type of game play. Given that we aren't going to have many mmorpg's coming down the pike I think we are at the end of "these types of games" other than a few survival games.
    Not at all, let's use Slapshots Example with his little rabbit pen thing where he would kill people after locking them in the pen.

I never joined UO, but if I had, and he had done something like that to me (or one of my bothers), I would have hit up my gang on messenger, they would shown up and brutally killed him on the spot, told him not to F-with our members, and not sure how death works in UO, but they would get my body and all my loot back (mainly from Slaps dead body). Depending on what kind of dick he was, we might spawn camp/KOS him for a while till he got the message loud and clear we didn't like that.

Honestly, if you do not think we were both huge assholes for being that way, that only just how depraved people become playing those kinds of PvP games.

Again.. I think we have over talked this discussion.
    The irony is that the real life equivalent of what you say you and your buddies would do is just as much a murder as Slappy's murderous prank. It's only in the mind of gamers (or Chrles Bronson / Liam Neeson movie fans) that revenge murders have the higher moral ground.

It's why I found the word "unprovoked" in the OP humorous.
    Hmm, I am a huge Liam Neeson, Charles Bronson and John Wick fan, don't fk with my cats.

;)
    Hey I like them too but they're best if you park your brain before watching. They all pretty well boil down to "Me and my loved ones have been abused and humiliated enough in this film that I can now go ape shit and kill everyone and you guys will still think of me as the good guy" ... pass the popcorn. :)
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

Don't play things "for years" if you don't like them. Why would you waste your time?

Because I was a nerdy teenager that was picked on at school, so I would log into these MUD full of angst, rage and hate about my life, and being able to an abusive giant douchebag in game was charthic as fuck?
    Whenever I look at you now, I won't see a powerful Cardassian warrior. I will see a six year old boy who is powerless to protect himself. 
    ConstantineMerusUngood
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2019
    Ungood said:
    bcbully said:
    Ungood said:
    bcbully said:
    Dude what full loot ffa PvP permadeth game we’re playing that made you feel this way? I don’t know of any at all, and if I did I wouldn’t play. It sounds terrible. I have to run in a gang and be an ass?

Nah no thanks. I’m a solo chaotic neutral type.
    Have you taken the time to realize that you are saying this on a topic where people are bragging about what kind of assholes they were in PvP games? 

I mean of all the places I would try to make a stand saying "Hey we are not all jerks and assholes, we are all really nice people" this topic would not be it. 

Just saying.
    Yeah ok, but do you mind telling me, hell and everyone else what “full loot, ffa, pvp, permadeath” game you were talking about that you played?

think of it as a public service announcement.
    Not sure why you would care, but one of the most well known games I played was GemStone IV, maybe you have heard of it, but gonna bet not, and I highly doubt that bit of info will help you, as it was a MUD from back in the AOL era, late 80's. I suppose it would be considered a predecessor to modern MMO's, but really with several thousand players online concurrently back then, it was for all intents and purposes an MMO.

Is your life better for knowing this?
    Aaah ok, I played MUDs too. I loved them. I apologize, they were for the most part ffa, full loot, permadeath games. A lot has changed since those days my friend. That was 30 or so years ago.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Why yes, I have indeed once performed a playerkill.

I was playing a necromancer on an all out PvP server and was asked for a heal ... or I'll be killed.

So I indeed "healed" the guy who asked very nicely. Just, you know ... in inverse.

You see, necromancers did not have the ability to heal anyone but themselves in that game. I'm not sure if they even got any buffs they could do on others ?

Also in that game (Lineage 2) necromancer was completely OP against that class (forgotten the name of that class, but it was the elven mage). First thing I did was silence the guy, then I froze him in place (50% chance, no idea if it hit or not), and, well, you can imagine the rest.

AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Viper482 said:
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics?
    Calling a playerkill a "murder" is like calling consensual sex with your romantic interest "rape".

Its simply a disturbing choice of words.
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Just had my morning coffee & I'm about to take all you guys into the can with me to MURDER my toilet 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited June 2019
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

No, I have played Open World Full Loot Perma Death PvP games for years, so, spare me any hyperbolic bullshit about not understanding this type of game play or not "Getting it"

Here is the thing, you have no explained how it adds value to the game, and truth be told, let's be honest here, you can't, because sad sorry tale that none of you want to admit to, is that it really doesn't.

Thank you for your time.
    I think everyone has already said how it adds value to the game. I know I did. Why are you ignoring that?

"But there is more of a sense of world of politics and of banding together to fight those who would destroy you." That's the value. Many have said similar.

So you played them for years but you are asking us to sell you on it? You are asking us to convince you? What the heck?

Why would you play such a game for years if you didn't enjoy it? You are telling us that you played them for years but still need to be sold?

Don't play things "for years" if you don't like them. Why would you waste your time?

Lets see.

So far, we have "I want to be an asshole and kill people" as a reason.

Well.. gosh, I don't know how that could not make the game better for.. well just the raging assholes.

And we have "I love the idea of gang life" where people are forced to join a gang for their own protection where they will commonly be intimidated from within and threatened from without into obedience and loyalty to the gang.

Yah.. again.. thank you for your time.
    And we have people who like the idea of clan/guild/alliance pride, taking over areas and fighting for those areas.

Not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of gang life. The problem with your post is that's all you see. You're literally taking your dislike of this type of pvp and perhaps the bad experiences you've had and saying everyone is like this.

If I did this I'd never play a pve title again as I've run across a TON of assholes on the pve side. A ton. And not much one could do about it.

The thing is, there are bad people on all sides. That's life. It doesn't change the idea that open pvp/ffa pvp has its place just like battlegrounds have their place.

You're right, not everyone wants to be an asshole and not everyone wants to be part of a gang, but if you play an Open World PvP game, you will inevitably end up being both, as you simply cannot thrive otherwise. This is something I have learned over years of playing these games.

No matter what rules or whatever are put in the game to protect softassed players, there will come times when you just have to be a total fucking asshole to someone, you will have to not only kill them but spawn camp them, and kill everyone and anyone that comes to help them, and you will have to do this because you know the kind of shit person they are and you simply cannot be the "better man" as they lack the mental capacity and social maturity to understand that kind of response. You end up needing to grind them under your heel, show them you are not to be fucked with, and only then, will they get the message, you are not "soft" or "weak" because you showed kindness, only then will these bottom scum understand that you opted to be nice, because you are a total psycho badass, who can afford to be nice from time to time. You may not want to be an a total raging psycho asshole, but it is simply a matter of time before you run across someone that will force you to respond to them in that manner, that is just the nature of these games, and we all know it.

You are also right, that not everyone wants to be in a gang, but if you are playing an Open World PvP you will end up in one if you plan to thrive at all. You want to get someone to lay off you, your gonna need your fellow thugs to back you up, because their bravery is brought on by the power of their gang, just the way it is. You want to just go hunt some snowbeasts, and harvest plets to craft, you getter have your gang colors on, or some other gang-bangers are gonna make you their bitch. That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

You can pull that "Oh people fart glitter and rainbows in these games" to someone who has not played them.. But like I said.. I played these games for years.. I know how they really work.

Ive been playing UO 21 years and this is completely wrong
    Unfortunately for you, some of the posters on this very topic already proved you wrong.
    Unfortunately for you as you can see from another thread you are terribly misguided, none if what you say was/Is commonplace or necessary to progress as you imply .
       I progressed in UO much of the time solo , as did my group of friends , we would also do group stuff  which included protecting areas from reds , and I'll add of the hundreds of conflicts of gotten into with reds , I Never looted a single one or camp them , and gained  respect for it , as a group we did not do this , and we're a powerful respected group , no need to be a raging a-hole ..  

Some people play these games cause there Fun  to us, simple as that , we enjoy the risk/reward , we enjoy the conflict and peacemaking the same  , you obviously are not cut out for this type of gameplay .

And odd how vitriol and angry yet again your posting gets ..  it's a bad look 
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Slapshot1188bcbully
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

etc

That is just the way the game is set up, we both know that is the way these things work.

I just think you are taking your experiences and making them out to be more than they actually are.

No, not everyone becomes an asshole. I played Lineage 2 for over 6 years and I ran into more "good people" than assholes. Additionally, you don't have to "become an asshole." fighting back doesn't equate "becoming an asshole,."

So yes you played these games for years (for some f'ing reason?!?!?!??) and you took your experiences, blew them out of proportion and made it so that the entire thing is a cesspool.

What usually happens is that there is a small group of vocal "assholes" and they make it seem like everyone is. But that just isn't the case.

why should a company make a game like this? Probably because they believe in this type of game play. Given that we aren't going to have many mmorpg's coming down the pike I think we are at the end of "these types of games" other than a few survival games.
    Not at all, let's use Slapshots Example with his little rabbit pen thing where he would kill people after locking them in the pen.

I never joined UO, but if I had, and he had done something like that to me (or one of my bothers), I would have hit up my gang on messenger, they would shown up and brutally killed him on the spot, told him not to F-with our members, and not sure how death works in UO, but they would get my body and all my loot back (mainly from Slaps dead body). Depending on what kind of dick he was, we might spawn camp/KOS him for a while till he got the message loud and clear we didn't like that.

Honestly, if you do not think we were both huge assholes for being that way, that only just how depraved people become playing those kinds of PvP games.

The irony is that the real life equivalent of what you say you and your buddies would do is just as much a murder as Slappy's murderous prank. It's only in the mind of gamers (or Chrles Bronson / Liam Neeson movie fans) that revenge murders have the higher moral ground.

Hmm, I am a huge Liam Neeson, Charles Bronson and John Wick fan, don't fk with my cats.

;)
    Hey I like them too but they're best if you park your brain before watching. They all pretty well boil down to "Me and my loved ones have been abused and humiliated enough in this film that I can now go ape shit and kill everyone and you guys will still think of me as the good guy" ... pass the popcorn. :)
    Deep down many of us are not too concerned about the welfare of verifiable "bad guys' but of course the issue in real life is being positively sure who is a bad guy, as we all know too well the process is far from infallible.

Charles Bronsen back in Death Wish is one of the first "anti" heroes I can recall, and it was quite controversial in the day as "good guys" didn't routinely kill bad guys back then, at least not without giving villains the chance to try and shoot the hero in the back as they walked away.

Now a days most of us are murdering killers,  at least in our video games.

Time to go kill thousands in a dungeon somewhere. 

Cheers.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:

etc

;)
    Deep down many of us are not too concerned about the welfare of verifiable "bad guys' but of course the issue in real life is being positively sure who is a bad guy, as we all know too well the process is far from infallible.

Charles Bronsen back in Death Wish is one of the first "anti" heroes I can recall, and it was quite controversial in the day as "good guys" didn't routinely kill bad guys back then, at least not without giving villains the chance to try and shoot the hero in the back as they walked away.

Now a days most of us are murdering killers,  at least in our video games.

Time to go kill thousands in a dungeon somewhere. 

Cheers.
    Just in North America though. The rest of the world has been killing villains since the dawn of Cinema.
    AlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhal
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I never have, but did have a character killed pretty savagely in UO way back when, on what I thought was a PvE server where you had to opt into PvP so far as I understood.

Apparently, for some reason, joining a guild made me subject to being PvPed by other members of that guild. When one of the other members and I were away from the others he mercilessly killed me over and over until someone nearby told me leaving the guild would prevent further deaths.

That was a bit costly for my character, and brought a good deal of glee to my betrayer as he happily informed me while mocking my paltry gear save for the one good piece I had he was looking forward to profiting on. I left the game after that as I had intention of trying to earn back what was taken. That wasn't the experience I thought I was signing up for.

Anyway, it taught me to be much more careful in choosing future games, especially regarding what type of PvP they had and if one could be forced into it in some way by another, so that I could avoid a repeat situation, or at least make an informed decision to opt into it.
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Viper482 said:
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics?
    Calling a playerkill a "murder" is like calling consensual sex with your romantic interest "rape".

Its simply a disturbing choice of words.
    Very bad analogy.
    The player controlling the murdered character is not consenting to be killed and body camped and having his enjoyment of the game ruined by some other player "roleplaying" a psycho.
    Well, many say that simply logging into a FFA PvP game is "consent." They kind of have a point. That's why I avoid them :)
    KyleranUngoodScorchienVermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  Even after clarification people still harp on the word instead of the topic.  

"The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another."  This implies killing against the rules of the gaming world in MMORPG in this case.  So like UO or L2 you are killing someone and being branded by the game as killing someone against the rules.  You earn titles, name color changes, bounties, ecurity forces prevent it if possible.  

This is not the case in faction based games where you are at a constant state of war.  Gameplay likely rewards killing. 

This is not self defense. 

Now you can include FFA or not. You can can say it is implied consent logging on.  I guess if you view MMORPG as a battle arena, ok.

Again murder was used to be very specific instance of killing.  You upped and killed someone just because you felt like it or wanted something they had or whatever.    

Not sure how resurrection makes any difference the action.  That is all lol 
    GdemamiUngood
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Down you go in the Rabbit hole. 

You can blow a kiss in MMORPGs to any other player. If you were up to create a thread regarding that then you would have probably asked: Have you sexually assaulted another player in a MMORPG? 

;)
    bcbullyKyleranGdemamialkarionlog
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You can blow a kiss in MMORPGs to any other player. If you were up to create a thread regarding that then you would have probably asked: Have you sexually assaulted another player in a MMORPG? 

;)
    Teabaggers are the lowest of the low... both in games and politically :)
    ConstantineMerusKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    If by murder, you mean running over a hooker to get some of my money back in Grand Theft Auto, then yes.

Gut Out!
    KyleranConstantineMerus

What, me worry?

;)
    Does that even count in real life?  I would say if you could and did have sexual intercourse in a game without concent it would be rape in the game.  Lol, weirdness with sexuality and humans is not deeper down the rabbit hole.  It is a whole other hole.  
    ConstantineMerus
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I never have, but did have a character killed pretty savagely in UO way back when, on what I thought was a PvE server where you had to opt into PvP so far as I understood.

Apparently, for some reason, joining a guild made me subject to being PvPed by other members of that guild. When one of the other members and I were away from the others he mercilessly killed me over and over until someone nearby told me leaving the guild would prevent further deaths.

That was a bit costly for my character, and brought a good deal of glee to my betrayer as he happily informed me while mocking my paltry gear save for the one good piece I had he was looking forward to profiting on. I left the game after that as I had intention of trying to earn back what was taken. That wasn't the experience I thought I was signing up for.

Anyway, it taught me to be much more careful in choosing future games, especially regarding what type of PvP they had and if one could be forced into it in some way by another, so that I could avoid a repeat situation, or at least make an informed decision to opt into it.
    Wow, that was awhile back. It doesn’t work like that anymore..

i never played UO, but I see the trauma was very real for some. I wonder if it was because of first experiences, and possibly being much younger. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  
    Except you aren't killing just like playing Dodgeball isn't assault.

ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

;)
    In today's overly sensitive world, you bet there is a difference, solely based on the recipient's mental state (or lack thereof) :)
    ConstantineMerus

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Sovrath said:
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  

We actually played "murderball" at my highschool.

It was like dodgeball, but it was played on a cement patio, teams could free-roam the whole field, and grappling/tackling was allowed.

Needless to say, concussions were involved.
    SovrathVermillion_RaventhalbcbullyConstantineMerus
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Limnic said:
    Sovrath said:

We actually played "murderball" at my highschool.

It was like dodgeball, but it was played on a cement patio, teams could free-roam the whole field, and grappling/tackling was allowed.

Needless to say, concussions were involved.
    When i was kid , we used to squirt lighter fluid all over a Tennis ball and light it up , and play tag with it at nite , there was never any denying if you got it ...

The balls only lasted so  long .. and you had to throw quickly which was really fun game
    ConstantineMerus
    edited June 2019
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.  MMORPG involve virtual killing of virtual characters and lots of jt. Do you deny they even kill in games now lol.  Not sure what your point is. 

If you accept there is killing then you have to accept there can be different types of killing... murder or self defense.  

I can tell you never read quest that involve killing.

Did you manage to message Bethesda and Zenimax for the use of the word murder in ESO?  I work a few miles from them.  I could hold a sign out in front for a few minutes if you make it.

Scales of Pitiless Justice – Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.  Oh no murder and assault of NPCs no less.  
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.   
    Well.. if you played Dodge Ball in my high school, yo would know it involved assault, we would cheer each other on with how hard we could hit each other, and a head shot that spun the other person around before they fell over, got everyone cheering...

How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    bcbullyKyleranAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Those rubber balls may not have concussed people, but it sure AF sounded like it.

BLOINK!!!

:D 
    AlBQuirky
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.   
    Well.. if you played Dodge Ball in my high school, yo would know it involved assault, we would cheer each other on with how hard we could hit each other, and a head shot that spun the other person around before they fell over, got everyone cheering...

How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    My childhood gym class cruelty moment was in second grade someone fast pitched the kickball to the little person who was barely bigger than the ball.