Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76: A Shot at Redemption?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nilden said:
    How dare they try to make their game better by introducing new content at no cost ….

Bring it on.
    I dunno when they are adding NPCs and people are cheering... (gaming in 2019)

Should I be impressed they got W to move you forward too?

No.

It's sad, pathetic and incompetent.

How dare they lie to everyone and launch a broken, buggy, mess with no NPCs in the first place. They knew this game was not ready and launched it anyway.

It's also embarrassing and insulting.

So embarrassing that one guy made a 3 hour video with over a 1000 glitches and bugs...

Watching the Bethesda E3 was insulting when they say they care and without the gamers, oh the gamers mean everything blah blah it's all corporate BS when you launch a game in the state Fallout 76 was in, YOU DON'T CARE. Stop insulting us by lying.

I'm sure there are a lot of games out there where one could make a video about "1000 glitches and bugs."

If one is the type to fret and wring their hands over glitches and bugs and not getting the game in their mind or at the very least concerned with how a game will launch then one should hold off on buying until the game is released.

I'm going to say that most people should do that. They will save themselves a lot of whinging time.

As far as Bethesda, they f***ed up. Now they are going to spend money making it right if they can.

If they didn't then they'd be crucified. Now that they are they are crucified. It's not that they have't done boneheaded things. But they made a product, it wasn't up to snuff and so they will now see if they can right it.

Good on them and if they can't right it then huge lesson right there.
    I think most do hold off buying until release.

Unless pre-orders were literally the majority of copies sold.  Is that the case?

Let's be honest, there were outlets that went fairly easy on this game.  Misleadingly easy.  Gaslighting-ly easy (let's be honest, all games have glitches, but 1000+ bugs and glitches in no way qualifies as above average or even average).  So you can't place blame for this completely at the player's feet.
    I do.

I saw the reviews and was pretty clear on what was released. Had people actually waited it would have been clear as well.

Now, the whole kerfuffle with the canvas bag is on them and was complete BS. Someone should have owned that and made it right from the start.

Again, acting as if players are completely to blame is just not reality.

You can emphasize their share if you want, but I don't think there's a realistic argument to be made that the backlash Bethesda has received is bullshit because it's all gamers' faults.  Consumer backlash and negative publicity are two powerful consumer tools, so blaming players for using such tools seems....  Bizarre.
    I don't see why it's hard.

Game gets announced, people know about it. Game gets launched and people read the reviews/first impressions. They see that it's NOT what they wanted in a Fallout online game and they don't buy it OR they buy it just to see but go in prepared.

They don't spend money on the game, or very few do, and the company reassesses their product line.
    And if we were living in a perfect world, and I drove home to cut my grass with a reel-type mower along a pristine white picket fence while my wife sets an apple pie on the window sill to cool, your scenario might be plausible.

But it's not reality.  Here in reality, if you've gained the trust of IP fans then you fuck them, they're gonna get angry with you.  And if your IP is popular enough, social proof, FOMO, and bandwagoning mixed with a marketing blitz WILL get a segment of gamers every time.  That's just reality.
    It's not like studios don't put a fuckton of marketing effort into pre-selling this shit months, or in the case of KS, years ahead of launch.

Every game's pre-launch campaign emphasizes all the extra doo-dahs you get for buying it sight unseen and they throw some expensive CGI demo they usually paid someone else to do for them at you to get your juices flowing.

Some of us may be wise to their shit and don't pre-order but they do get a large section of gamers every time and I'm not about to put blame on those who fell for it and were manipulated into buying it.

It's the fucking manipulators who deserve 99.9% of the blame.
    SovrathMadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I am sorry, but I don't care if they improve it. If they wanted to have a good game, they should have made a good game. If we reward developers who fix their games after people already forked out 60$ for them and did not get what they wanted until like months out, they will keep doing it. "This wasn't going to be a high meta critic game" said Todd; you know what I say to that? No.

We need to stop rewarding developers who go back and fix games that should have worked in the first place; especially when in their broke ass state they continue to monetize the game with MTX. A good example of a game that has a notable redemption story is NMS. They did not charge people a penny after it launched and continue to improve upon it. It is only marginally better then if Fallout 76 improves, but it is still better.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Arterius said:
    Celcius said:
    I am sorry, but I don't care if they improve it. If they wanted to have a good game, they should have made a good game. If we reward developers who fix their games after people already forked out 60$ for them and did not get what they wanted until like months out, they will keep doing it. "This wasn't going to be a high meta critic game" said Todd; you know what I say to that? No.

We need to stop rewarding developers who go back and fix games that should have worked in the first place; especially when in their broke ass state they continue to monetize the game with MTX. A good example of a game that has a notable redemption story is NMS. They did not charge people a penny after it launched and continue to improve upon it. It is only marginally better then if Fallout 76 improves, but it is still better.
    There is no difference. No Mans Sky and Fallout 76 both lied out of their teeth on the what the game was, both games are being fixed asking for no money. Fallout 76 has a cash shop but no one uses the damn thing. At least in my hundreds of hours playing the game I have never seen anyone wearing any of the cosmetics or using any.
    Fair enough, but I do think with Fallout 76 being backed by a multi billion dollar corporation they could have in he very least cut out the cash shop until the game is actually in a good state. Fallout 76 IS asking for money though. They have a cash shop.... NMS does not. They both should not be given a second look, but at least NMS is not asking for more money.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Celcius said:
    Arterius said:
    Celcius said:

There is no difference. No Mans Sky and Fallout 76 both lied out of their teeth on the what the game was, both games are being fixed asking for no money. Fallout 76 has a cash shop but no one uses the damn thing. At least in my hundreds of hours playing the game I have never seen anyone wearing any of the cosmetics or using any.
    Fair enough, but I do think with Fallout 76 being backed by a multi billion dollar corporation they could have in he very least cut out the cash shop until the game is actually in a good state. Fallout 76 IS asking for money though. They have a cash shop.... NMS does not. They both should not be given a second look, but at least NMS is not asking for more money.
    On a personal note and an opinion I share with very few people, I loved NMS from launch and think it one of the best games of the last 5 years and one of the greatest turnarounds in modern gaming history.  
    Will FO76 be the next great turnaround? Time will tell....
    I think I'm one of a very small number of people (judging by the launch reaction) who was neither expecting nor particularly wanted to see other players in the galaxy /shrug.

As far as I'm concerned NMS was a good game at launch and a better one now.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Celcius said:
    Arterius said:
    Celcius said:

On a personal note and an opinion I share with very few people, I loved NMS from launch and think it one of the best games of the last 5 years and one of the greatest turnarounds in modern gaming history.  
    Will FO76 be the next great turnaround? Time will tell....
    I think I'm one of a very small number of people (judging by the launch reaction) who was neither expecting nor particularly wanted to see other players in the galaxy /shrug.

As far as I'm concerned NMS was a good game at launch and a better one now.
    To this day I have no idea why people trashed the game upon launch. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BonejokerBonejoker Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Now that I was free for a few days I tried it:

Present the following problems that I do not know if they are from my computer or some texture with problems:

The enemies were hidden in the texture of the ground that in some places you could walk and the ground covered you.
    Enemies pass close to you and they do not hit you, they only look at you and when they attack you, the intelligence that NPCs have is very bad.
    The plants or vegetation are not stuck to the texture and appear as floating.
    When leaving shelter 76 and walking to the left you walk on nothing since the texture of the ground reaches the hips of your character and that happens in several areas.
    The world feels lonely but really alone, the map is bigger than fallout 4 but there are empty villages or houses without any enemy or something interesting

The new BR the same with the texture, you can stick on some mountains and hide in the texture as it covers you and you can see everything but they can not see you.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Elite: Dangerous
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I logged in last night.. couldn't find any NPC, nothing had changed, I quit lol

imageimage

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    edited June 2019
    Been playing it since the first free trial day this week, and it's pretty fun and polished in some areas (definitely seems to have been improved immensely since launch), but in other areas, I just don't know if it's worth the investment now. My main things are mainly associated with horrible mouse movement/control, ridiculous mob glitches, and no real sense of a reason to group up with people. The game also seems like it was made exclusively for a controller because you can't even rebind basic UI/menu keys (it's like Z and C to switch categories, Tab to close/go back, R to drop, X to inspect, the crafting and CAMP controls are all over the place, wtf?). I'm left handed so I rebind most keys in general, so that's a huge deal breaker for me by itself. I commend them on their improvement since launch though.
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Although I'll never play Fallout 76, I am waiting for Fallout 5 to be released...and I'll only buy it on sale.
    Bakgrind
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    So they have a "Fallout" MMO that is unlike what made Fallout great and they think adding an afterthought BR mode that gives rewards to non-BR play will fix it? If I had paid for it, I'd be furious that they are adding a BR mode that has benefits outside BR mode (and BR mode certainly won't entice me to buy it).
    [Deleted User]Aeander

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Tried Nuclear Winter out...logged after one round and played some Fortnite instead.  I'll try FO76 again, sigh, when Wastelanders comes out.  I have a friend who really likes Nuclear Winter though. /shrug

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    TaishiFox said:
    I logged in last night.. couldn't find any NPC, nothing had changed, I quit lol
    That is because NPCs aren't coming until the Wastelanders update. This update just added Battle Royale.

I'll probably roll a new character once it goes live. Tried my old one and forgot how to play lol
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Is the game worth playing for 50% off?  Serious question......
    LeFantome

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I found shroud legit spamming all the Beth social sites with "This is my new main game! Love it!" They must be paying him a lot, because he's actually blowing them. When the gameplay is so horrific and totally not his style, at all. But the price tag must be so huge that he's just completely oblivious.

I wonder if I could play it if paid enough, I don't know though. Not only is the gun play horrific, but I've never liked fallout games. They are Ok to tinker around a bit here and there, but I could never play for hours like I could with WoW or Ark.

Way to be a Sellout Shroud. gg bud
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    If.... IF there could be a silver lining to this whole kurfuffle, BethSoft might end up patching stuff they've completely neglected for years. And if they, sadly, insist on using their archaic game engine for Starfield and ES6 maybe those games will be a little less broken.

IF
    MAYBE

(I'm not holding my breath)
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Arterius said:
    Tokken said:
    Before everyone else tells you no. I would say yes. The game has been vastly improved since launch and even if you buy the game now and wait till the Wastelanders update its a steal
    I don't find it worth $30 right now. I played a few times during the trial and would have probably bought for $10-$15. With all the good games in my backlog this just doesn't bring enough interest (for me) for $30. Maybe with the npc update I'll find interest (or a good deal). 
    [Deleted User]Phry
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Tokken said:
    I think it is. The free roam is worth it IMO. Even without NPCs there are plenty of quest lines to do.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    NyteWytch said:
    Arterius said:
    Tokken said:
    Before everyone else tells you no. I would say yes. The game has been vastly improved since launch and even if you buy the game now and wait till the Wastelanders update its a steal
    I don't find it worth $30 right now. I played a few times during the trial and would have probably bought for $10-$15. With all the good games in my backlog this just doesn't bring enough interest (for me) for $30. Maybe with the npc update I'll find interest (or a good deal). 
    In its current state its barely a $10 game, it will take more than just adding NPC's to improve the game, as for the B.R mode, i guess they were literally that desperate. :p
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    HazenXIII said:
    Been playing it since the first free trial day this week, and it's pretty fun and polished in some areas (definitely seems to have been improved immensely since launch), but in other areas, I just don't know if it's worth the investment now. My main things are mainly associated with horrible mouse movement/control, ridiculous mob glitches, and no real sense of a reason to group up with people. The game also seems like it was made exclusively for a controller because you can't even rebind basic UI/menu keys (it's like Z and C to switch categories, Tab to close/go back, R to drop, X to inspect, the crafting and CAMP controls are all over the place, wtf?). I'm left handed so I rebind most keys in general, so that's a huge deal breaker for me by itself. I commend them on their improvement since launch though.
    Agreed, I played it this weekend for the free trial and there's still issues present from FO4 that happen in FO76.

Particularly, obstacle hit detection is terrible.  Sometimes you can fire through an opening in an object just fine, others you can very obviously be firing with a clear line of sight, but a rail or something 2 foot above your crosshairs blocks the bullet.  It's ridiculous in some areas.

I remember that happening in FO4.  Very telling that it's still a thing today.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Fallout76 (percent complete now)
    JeffSpicoliPhaserlightLeFantome
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm still waiting for FO 4's DLC to go on a big sale. I played thru the main game as the dad and went against the......bad guy, and I was waiting to get all the DLC before playing through as the mom with the.......bad guy.

I'm sure I'll play FO 76 after enough updates have happened.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    I'm not reinstalling 76 until we have private servers and mod support.