Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo MMO

Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
I used to play D2 religiously (SOJ and .08 muler here!) and so I decided to purchase Diablo 3 over the weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.  It sometimes felt TOO easy (I remember The Butcher being much harder than a couple swings to down him 🤔) but still overall I have enjoyed it.  It did get me to thinking though, what are the chances we see a Diablo MMO soon??  Some of the recent-ish news that I’ve read said perhaps Diablo MMO could be coming soon, but nothing has been confirmed (from what I’ve found).  I would be SOOO onboard with this!!  Thoughts?
"The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    I don't think we'll be seeing many AAA mmorpg's any time soon.

I remember writing Blizzard to say that I'd be more interested in playing a Diablo mmorpg than World of Warcraft.

Thought it was worth a shot.
    SBFordOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    @Sovrath is there a reason you’re not very optimistic about any AAA’s releasing?  
    "The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Do you guys not have phones?
    learis1Octagon7711PhryYukmarcRueTheWhirlGorwe
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    @Sovrath is there a reason you’re not very optimistic about any AAA’s releasing?  
    Just look at the state of the MMO market. Most major companies just wont risk spending the time and expensive budget to build a proper AAA MMO right now. Too much easy money else where, such as battle royales and survival games. (Neither of which I care for)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Current rumors all point to a Diablo 4 announcement at Blizzcon later this year and a 2020 or 2021 release. The same rumors talk about it possibly being "MMO-lite" where you can see and interact with others in town hubs, but not a full MMO. It's also rumored that they're thinking about going with an over the shoulder cam instead of top down.

https://www.techradar.com/news/diablo-4-news-release-date-trailers-rumors

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited June 2019
    I dont quite see the strong incentive to make an mmo out of it. The game is already in its unique spot of single/multiplayer aarpg. If they make it an mmo, then it could just be WoW with a new skin. But even if its somehow a unique fresh mmo, It would canibalize Blizzards other mmo. Right now blizz strategy seems to be offer a single game for each genre of computer game: card, shooter, moba, aarp, mmo. Makes sense so no cannibalization occurs.

Mend and Defend

Well, how many AAA mmorpg's are in production?

Amazon is making one but some say it's more of a survival game. On top of that they have laid off quite a few employees. Not saying that will affect that particular game but from what I've heard/read it wasn't really received very well by many. 

We have Ashes of Creation but there seems to be some misgivings with its development. Some questioned whether they had enough as their kickstarter didn't really ask for much. Then they were going to make a smalller game to supposedly help development and now that seems to have gone? Not sure if they are still working on it.

There's Crowfall, not sure if that is considered a AAA game.

um what else? Pantheon? Small game and we don't know if it will actually release. Camelot Unchained is coming along but it is many years beyond its initial "supposed" release.

There is the Korean mmorpg "Air blah blah" so there's that if/when it releases. I think it will but then it has to come here and I wonder if it's just going to be same old/same old but with more flying. The stuff I've seen on it seems to suggest that.

Not sure of any other large mmorpg's in development. I think most developers are shying away from them.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    An mmo would be interesting and I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to try it out but shifting manpower over from WoW or hiring more people with experience in making mmo's would be something I'd be surprised to see them do.  The current climate seems to be streamlining what they have, to cut costs, and maximize profits. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Not sure why Blizzard wouldn't develop a new MMORPG.  Their WoW subs have been on the decline.  Diablo mmo could bring in 10+ million subs at $15 bucks a pop that's over $150mil per month, almost $2 billion a year.

Yes there are people that will still want to play WoW, keep it, you can have both let the people play whatever they feel like. Shit you will probably get 2 subs from some ppl wow and diablo.
    Gdemami
    Not sure why Blizzard wouldn't develop a new MMORPG.  Their WoW subs have been on the decline.  Diablo mmo could bring in 10+ million subs at $15 bucks a pop that's over $150mil per month, almost $2 billion a year.

Yes there are people that will still want to play WoW, keep it, you can have both let the people play whatever they feel like. Shit you will probably get 2 subs from some ppl wow and diablo.
    Well, they tried and did so for years. Then they realized it just wouldn't work. Rumor is that they then took the assets and made Overwatch.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Please no. I'd rather have an actual Diablo ARPG than an MMO any day.
    Gorwe
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    WoW is more like Diablo than Warcraft. What you are asking for already exists, imo. Would be nice if they made a proper Warcraft MMO one day.
    RueTheWhirl

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    We already have it, Is called Path of Exile. 
    Iselin
  • Nelson-zbitNelson-zbit Newbie CommonPosts: 26
    It seems that Diablo III have already possessed most elements which MMOs got.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You could say WoW is a WoW skinned Diablo MMORPG

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It seems that Diablo III have already possessed most elements which MMOs got.
    Other than that whole Massively Multiplayer part with tons of people interacting in the same world.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Not sure why Blizzard wouldn't develop a new MMORPG.  
    ....because you are out of your mind if you think they would get +10mil subs, and Blizzard knows that.

They already have WoW.

People are talking how there are no new AAA mmos in the making but there are 2 factors that are never taken into account:

1)  There is very limited number of developers with experience and expertize to pull it off. It is hard to believe from armchair developer perspective but it is quite a feat, those things are huge projects.

2) Those who do have the resources - in expertize and money mostly have their own mmo thus it makes no sense to makev a new one, you would only be shooting yourself in the foot with players leaving one of your mmos for another.

Case in point, let's say Bliz could hope to achieve same revenue with new mmo as they are making with WoW atm but the cost would be for 6-7 years drowning 150m into development while making 0 money back in that period + decreased revenue on WoW once it is released.

It just makes no business sense.
    [Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    edited June 2019
    I think MMORPGs require far too much money and the return is too low and the chances of success are even lower so big MMORPGs are not going to be something companies are looking to do unfortunately.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    [Deleted User]

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    All the MMOs that come out these days have been Failures....Bless Just to name 1......
    Gdemami
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited June 2019
    Palebane said:
    WoW is more like Diablo than Warcraft. What you are asking for already exists, imo. Would be nice if they made a proper Warcraft MMO one day.
    That's called "WoW Classic" ;)
    Im just saying in WoW you level up your character and run dungeons, like in Diablo. In Warcraft you built units and went to war for territory and resources, none of which is included in any length in WoW. Not saying we have to build units, but our characters should BE the units. Its only Warcraft by name because it has Orcs in it.
    Gdemami

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    hikaru77 said:
    We already have it, Is called Path of Exile. 
    No, PoE isn't an action MMORPG, or at least wasn't when I was playing it. Social areas were shared, but so far as I recall combat areas were only shared by grouped players.

Action MMORPGs have shared overland combat areas where players need not be grouped to be fighting within them concurrently, like MU Legend or Torchlight Frontiers, and which Diablo 4 would also have if it was to be of this genre.
    GdemamiIselin
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I wouldn't mind playing a World of Diablo game, and diving deeper into the lore. I'm sure the classes would be fun to play as well, and the dark settings would be cool. Idgad if it's viable or not...that's above my pay grade.

Just give me a fun LOOONNGGG game to enjoy.

Gut Out!

Maximus_Lacy

What, me worry?

• AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Gdemami said:
    ....because you are out of your mind if you think they would get +10mil subs, and Blizzard knows that.

They already have WoW.

People are talking how there are no new AAA mmos in the making but there are 2 factors that are never taken into account:

1)  There is very limited number of developers with experience and expertize to pull it off. It is hard to believe from armchair developer perspective but it is quite a feat, those things are huge projects.

2) Those who do have the resources - in expertize and money mostly have their own mmo thus it makes no sense to makev a new one, you would only be shooting yourself in the foot with players leaving one of your mmos for another.

Case in point, let's say Bliz could hope to achieve same revenue with new mmo as they are making with WoW atm but the cost would be for 6-7 years drowning 150m into development while making 0 money back in that period + decreased revenue on WoW once it is released.

Makes no business sense for them not to have a next generation mmo ready to sell alongside WoW eventually as it loses market share. It is old and has bored too many previous subscribers and will soon be too dated-looking to attract new ones. It would make good business sense to tack a new mmo on to the WoW subscription in a manner similar to Classic to keep subscriptions up while still making money from the new games release and the separate cash shops, expacs etc.

GdemamiGroqstrong
  • Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Aenghas said:
    Gdemami said:

They already have WoW.

Makes no business sense for them not to have a next generation mmo ready to sell alongside WoW eventually as it loses market share. It is old and has bored too many previous subscribers and will soon be too dated-looking to attract new ones. It would make good business sense to tack a new mmo on to the WoW subscription in a manner similar to Classic to keep subscriptions up while still making money from the new games release and the separate cash shops, expacs etc.

Plot twist....  WoW Classic is a money grab to fund an all new MMO, either StarCraft or Diablo ;)  But on a serious note, it is fact that WoW is constantly losing subscribers, is it not?  And even if Classic is a success, there are going to be plenty of subs that just came and went for the nostalgia, while the rest will resort back to wanting patches and expansions until it is back on track with modern WoW again.  Does that make sense??  Probably not..
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I'm confused if the OP means Diablo lore mmorpg, or an ARPG mmorpg.  

If the OP mean ARPG mmorpg, there is lost ark which is coming out soon.